Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

9 minutes ago, philibusters said:

I don't know why people are whining that Gruden said he would rank the Chargers job over this job.  Having Justin Herbert will make everything easier.  Likewise, having Caleb Williams will make everything easier.  I agree with what he is saying

Plus Gruden was a head coach.  He knows how head coach candidates think

Probably a debate for another thread but I’m not sure I agree with the Caleb Williams take here. I am on the same page with Herbert, though. Even if he is “only” top 10 and not top 5 (I haven’t put enough thought to decide, personally, but he is undoubtedly top 10) he definitely makes things easier in LAC land versus the other jobs that are likely to open.

The Bears won't just have Caleb Williams(assuming they get the #1 pick), they'll also have ANOTHER likely top 5 pick. 

If I'm an offensive minded coach and I have a shot at building a team around Williams and Harrison jr, and I already have DJ Moore, yeah that is a hard job to pass up.

• Thumb up 1

48 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

The Bears won't just have Caleb Williams(assuming they get the #1 pick), they'll also have ANOTHER likely top 5 pick. 

If I'm an offensive minded coach and I have a shot at building a team around Williams and Harrison jr, and I already have DJ Moore, yeah that is a hard job to pass up.

This exactly.  The Bears won’t just have the #1 pick in the draft (from the Panthers), they almost definitely will have a Top 5 pick as well. They very well could draft Caleb, and then Marvin Harrison Jr. with their next pick at 3, 4 or 5 in the 1st Round.  Could you imagine having the chance to draft the best QB prospect since Trevor Lawrence/Andrew Luck AND drafting the best WR prospect since Justin Jefferson/JaMarr Chase?  That would be mighty intriguing to any potential coaching prospects.  The Bears will also have almost $70 Million in cap space next season, so that’s another layer to add to the attractiveness of the Bears job.

Edited by samy316
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

And don’t forget they got Sweat too!

Did I miss something?  Have the Bears decided they are moving on from their coach/GM?  They just hired their GM in a traditional Org structure who hired the coach two years ago.  He picked the coach.  

Are they starting over again? Are they going to fire the HC and let the GM pick another HC?  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, philibusters said:

I don't know why people are whining that Gruden said he would rank the Chargers job over this job.  Having Justin Herbert will make everything easier.  Likewise, having Caleb Williams will make everything easier.  I agree with what he is saying

Plus Gruden was a head coach.  He knows how head coach candidates think

Coaches consider the earning potential. The presence of a potential elite QB enhances a coach’s likelihood of earning millions over an extended period.

Gruden 100% believes he’d still be maki g millions of dollars if he had a great to elite QB. 

2 hours ago, formerly4skins said:

This has to be sarcasm....right?

...right?

Dear sweet jesus on thanksgiving day...please tell me you're joking 😆 

I’m just the messenger. Here’s how you can achieve success with an elite candidate.

We might feel traumatized, but this model has proven effective. Take, for instance, the 49ers, considered a model franchise by some. They entrusted a first-time head coach, Kyle Shanahan, to choose John Lynch, who had zero experience and faced substantial criticism for the decision. At that time, the Niners were struggling, showing that sometimes as an organization, thinking outside the box is necessary.

10 minutes ago, wit33 said:

I’m just the messenger. Here’s how you can achieve success with an elite candidate.

We might feel traumatized, but this model has proven effective. Take, for instance, the 49ers, considered a model franchise by some. They entrusted a first-time head coach, Kyle Shanahan, to choose John Lynch, who had zero experience and faced substantial criticism for the decision. At that time, the Niners were struggling, showing that sometimes as an organization, thinking outside the box is necessary.

Kyle Shanahan and John Lynch are definitely something. An even bigger something is that they were blessed with a third string QB who could dull the pain of repeating the RG3 draft trade and not even getting good play from who they picked. Kyle got to experience RG3 trades twice and was the driving force in the second one. Not many coaches get to experience 2 extreme QB failures and still get to coach through it.

But it would definitely be a solid strategy for a Belichick or Rivera to spend half a season stumbling their way down to a 3rd string QB. More teams should try it.

Edited by NickyJ
  • Thumb up 1

I was just looking back at the Chicago game and I didn't care what people say that was a good game after we started the comeback. It's just something to realize that we're not a good team. I just thought they Sam was a good QB and loved seeing him play. 

Anyway, I was going to say that one thing that I'm not seeing that I was seeing early in the season is the pass interference calls to Terry. Sam would see a matchup and take a shot. Either he's not doing to any more or not getting the calls or they're being caught. Just a thought. N

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

Here’s how you can achieve success with an elite candidate.

I am truly disappointed you weren't being sarcastic 😂 

I just don't think we can achieve success without ditching the desperate coach-centric model where the GM comes after the HC, elite candidate or not.

Got to get a GM first...have an over-arching, across-the-board strategy for the team...and let them pick the coach.

4 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Plus, if ya consider fan bases and locations as a thing that might matter to someone making that decision, I'd give the edge to Chicago in terms of an actual home city more than ready to go nuts in support of a winning franchise.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

And they have a ton of cap space and a couple good linemen. Will probably draft another with that early second.... oh, wait.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

….The Chargers are closer to the Super Bowl (even with KC directly in their path) than the Commanders are to even having a thought at the 5th Wild Card spot. And that won’t materially change going into next season. Some of you are delusional lol 

But for the first time in forever, we have hope with ownership.  That cannot be said for the Chargers.  That works out for us in two ways:

Leave it to Spanos to screw up getting the best guy for the job.  

The right guy might opt to not want to work for Spanos.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

But for the first time in forever, we have hope with ownership.  That cannot be said for the Chargers.  That works out for us in two ways:

Leave it to Spanos to screw up getting the best guy for the job.  

The right guy might opt to not want to work for Spanos.

I know they don’t win but dues he have a rep for being difficult to work with? Haven’t heard that one even when I lived in LA last year. Granted, there’s barely Chargers fans or any real care about them in LA but still lol 

5 hours ago, formerly4skins said:

I am truly disappointed you weren't being sarcastic 😂 

I just don't think we can achieve success without ditching the desperate coach-centric model where the GM comes after the HC, elite candidate or not.

Got to get a GM first...have an over-arching, across-the-board strategy for the team...and let them pick the coach.

I appreciate the idea of having a GM, regardless of whether the head coach is the one to select them. If I’ve identified a coach who can make a significant difference and they want the autonomy to choose their GM, I’ll support that decision.

The success rate of GMs selecting coaches and winning consistently is extremely low. I’m uninterested in an overarching strategy that consistently fails. However, if there’s exceptional talent in a GM, let them choose the next innovative 34-year-old coach.

It’s more about acquiring exceptionally talented individuals rather than adhering strictly to a predefined model.

6 hours ago, NickyJ said:

Kyle Shanahan and John Lynch are definitely something. An even bigger something is that they were blessed with a third string QB who could dull the pain of repeating the RG3 draft trade and not even getting good play from who they picked. Kyle got to experience RG3 trades twice and was the driving force in the second one. Not many coaches get to experience 2 extreme QB failures and still get to coach through it.

But it would definitely be a solid strategy for a Belichick or Rivera to spend half a season stumbling their way down to a 3rd string QB. More teams should try it.

Uhh… Shannahan is still with the Niners because he wins at an elite rate in a league where that doesn’t happen. 80% of the NFL is mediocre and he’s elite. 

12 minutes ago, Daniel.redskins said:

Howell will get blamed for this.  He didn't play great, but he is so far from the biggest problem on this team.  

This team needs to be rebuilt starting with the oline and linebackers, or else it's the same **** we've seen the last 20 years.  

It's time to take the best tackle in the draft.  

Just think how much of an improvement the line would look if the team still had Trent Williams. 

• Sad 2

12 minutes ago, Daniel.redskins said:

Howell will get blamed for this.  He didn't play great, but he is so far from the biggest problem on this team.  

This team needs to be rebuilt starting with the oline and linebackers, or else it's the same **** we've seen the last 20 years.  

It's time to take the best tackle in the draft.  

Howell had 300 yards and Dak had 331 yards. Our D gave up 4 TDs to Dallas. That picks 6 never happens if our D or OL actually played at good NFL level. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Romo was raving about him. Not that it matters much.

It matters because he's gotten the necessary attention nationally for folks to not make assumptions about him and actually say something similar to what we are because he's earned their respect enough.

• Like 3

Just now, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Dude, they scored 10 points. The yards are completely irrelevant. Come on. 

The offense as a whole sucked today. 

They looked ok in the first half. 10 points. Multiple drives into Dallas territory. Not great, but not too bad.

Second half was an abomination.