Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

12 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

I agree with a lot of what you said, I'm just not sure how much there was to compound. He was already seen as a joke.

(Wentz previous zero reputation) multiplied by (Our team's zero reputation) equals zero rep. How far did he fall?

If you want to argue the potential reputation gains he could of had if he went to a respected org... Sure, as then you would have some range of reputation to work with.

If we are just talking about Washington's actual impact on Wentz' rep however, its next to nothing, because it was already at that level before we got to him.   

If Wentz had some built up previous rep: Yes, it would have got dinged in a move here and it is also true that raising your reputation is an additionally more difficult lift under the light of our org.

I think SIP has a point though when he says that past QB acquisitions like Fitz, Smith, hell even arguably a washed McNabb—didn’t suffer an immediate, inherent hit to their reps. They were all looked at as the next swing at a potential solution, not assumed to get worse. 

This feels like a more recent spiraling of our reputation as a franchise that has finally approached rock bottom with all the Snyder stuff imo—even compared to three years ago we, understandably, are radioactive. And the narrative around Wentz was strong enough as the offseason picked up steam that to this point even the Good Guy Rivera Narrative hasn’t been able to counter-balance it and drag it out of the gravity well of Snyder’s all-encompassing negative reputation. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

With all of that, he still summarizes himself not high on the deal and not high on Wentz being the answer here? 

He still believes Ron paid too much for Wentz and Wentz was going to be released.  Which, of course, is hogwash.  He thought Ron should have played hard-ball and tried to get the Colts to pick up some of the salary cap hit.  Which is, basically pointless since the team STILL has $13m of available salary cap space. 

He bought into the Irsay narrative early, and now he appears to be back-peddling a little bit. 

He keeps bringing up the cost because he keeps saying Wentz was going to be released.  Which has been debunked by just about all the reporters, both national and local. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Conn said:

I think SIP has a point though when he says that past QB acquisitions like Fitz, Smith, hell even arguably a washed McNabb—didn’t suffer an immediate, inherent hit to their reps. They were all looked at as the next swing at a potential solution, not assumed to get worse. 

What immediate, inherent hit did Wentz' rep take? Gotta have rep to lose rep. The perception was that he will continue to not be good enough to be a franchise QB, not that he was good enough right before the trade and suddenly and magically isnt. 

We are not in a timeline where Wentz is being treated worse after the trade than he was before. On both sides of the move he was getting bashed by the colts owner, media, talking heads, analysts, you name it. His situation is not going to be comparable to previous "franchise saviors" as they had at least some level of reputation positivity to carry over to our franchise whereas Wentz already had none before his arrival. The situation he was in with the Colts at the end was nothing short of point and laugh at every level of media. There is no doubt that he was NFL punchline #1 before we ever came knocking.

If you go out and sign a dude who was already NFL punchline #1, and the media continues that narrative, that is not a sign of increased negativity. Its sustained negativity. The main diff between him and his predecessors is they were not sitting at zero rep when we got to them.

Edited by FootballZombie

9 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Shawn McBride, ex-Maryland QB just on 106.7, he echoed the same thing I had on Howell which is the concern was can his mobility translate to the pros because the game runs much faster, and he was jazzed to see that it does.

At least it won't happen in the game against us, i bet it did, they'd stop the game like they did for Brees and make a whole show of it.

To me this shows glaringly how Matt Ryan isn't even in the same universe as a truly elite HoFer like Brees. In around the same amount of time as Brees, Ryan got to the same amount of yards...but literally has almost 100 less TDs. IMO he's mostly a paper tiger. A slightly upgraded Kirk Cousins. He puts up lots of yards but doesn't put up lots of points.

Same with Peyton and Brady. He's in their league as far as yards, but not even close in TDs. This is why I don't see him as a HoFer.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, mistertim said:

To me this shows glaringly how Matt Ryan isn't even in the same universe as a truly elite HoFer like Brees. In around the same amount of time as Brees, Ryan got to the same amount of yards...but literally has almost 100 less TDs. IMO he's mostly a paper tiger. A slightly upgraded Kirk Cousins. He puts up lots of yards but doesn't put up lots of points.

Same with Peyton and Brady. He's in their league as far as yards, but not even close in TDs. This is why I don't see him as a HoFer.

His stats are sick.  I don't think anyone is arguing he's Brees, Brady and Manning. In fact, I've been leading the chorus that he isn't and the national media is getting oddly carried away with him.  If that's the litmus test than hardly anyone are entering the hall of fame.  Some would argue those 3 QBs being in the conversation as being in the top 5 of all time with Brady of course first.

As for TDs being a weaknesses because he's not on par with Brees.  He's had 25 TDs or more over 9 times.  Not exactly "meh".  He hit 30 TDs or more 3 times -- no Washington QB has hit 30 or more even once since Sonny J.   Almost hit 40 TDs actually one season and ended up with 38. 

Ryan is clutch.  Kirk isn't.  Ryan at his peak is distinctly better than Kirk, not slightly better.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

He still believes Ron paid too much for Wentz and Wentz was going to be released.  Which, of course, is hogwash.  He thought Ron should have played hard-ball and tried to get the Colts to pick up some of the salary cap hit.  Which is, basically pointless since the team STILL has $13m of available salary cap space. 

He bought into the Irsay narrative early, and now he appears to be back-peddling a little bit. 

He keeps bringing up the cost because he keeps saying Wentz was going to be released.  Which has been debunked by just about all the reporters, both national and local. 

Seems like there was one other interested team, that team never revealed, some speculated it was the Steelers.

But even if he were released, he'd have had options.  I seriously doubt he'd have come here.  I forgot which beat guy said this but one who interviewed Wentz recently said he got the early impression that Wentz didn't love that this was the place he was traded to but he got the impression that Wentz has been pleasantly surprised and likes it here.

But Wentz on the open market I seriously doubt would be coming here.  Do I think they overpaid for Wentz, heck yeah. But did they have a choice?  Again you have to pay a premium when you are this club for reasons I talked about on another thread.

My point is even on the off chance Wentz was released.  It likely wouldn't have resulted in him coming here.  And if they didn't pay a premium, he likely would have ended up going to whatever the other mysterious team was.

At some point, the price-context IMO doesn't matter if he ends up the solution.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

His stats are sick.  I don't think anyone is arguing he's Brees, Brady and Manning. In fact, I've been leading the chorus that he isn't and the national media is getting oddly carried away with hiim.  If that's the litmus test than hardly anyone are entering the hall of game.  Some would argue those 3 QBs being in the conversation as being in the top 5 of all time with Brady of course first.

As for TDs being a weaknesses because he's not on par with Brees.  He's had 25 TDs or move over 9 times.  Not exactly "meh".  He hit 30 TDs or more 3 times -- no Washington QB has hit 30 or more even once since Sonny J.   Almost hit 40 TDs actually one season and ended up with 38. 

Ryan is clutch.  Kirk isn't.  Ryan at his peak is distinctly better than Kirk, not slightly better.  

His TDs aren't on par with Kirk Cousins, let alone Peyton, Brees, or Brady. Kirk already has as many 30 TD seasons as Ryan, and in 4 less years, with 3 of those years not even being a starter. Does Kirk belong in the HoF? I doubt anyone would make that claim.

Ryan's TD to yards ratio is sucky. He doesn't put the ball in the end zone nearly enough for the amount of yards he puts up.

So it's not just comparing him to elite HoFers, it's comparing him to other more humdrum QBs.

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

His TDs aren't on par with Kirk Cousins, let alone Peyton, Brees, or Brady. Kirk already has as many 30 TD seasons as Ryan, and in 4 less years, with 3 of those years not even being a starter. Does Kirk belong in the HoF? I doubt anyone would make that claim.

Ryan's TD to yards ratio is sucky. He doesn't put the ball in the end zone nearly enough for the amount of yards he puts up.

So it's not just comparing him to elite HoFers, it's comparing him to other more humdrum QBs.

I'll drop it with you after this.  I think its bad karma debating this anymore -- it would give me no joy to see Matt Ryan smoke Wentz when they play head to head.  And since I don't want that to happen especially since I am going to that game and I am a superstitous dude, I'll put a stop to this Ryan stuff.  :ols:

https://bloggingdirty.com/2022/03/21/3-reasons-matt-ryan-headed-hall-fame/4/

Matt Ryan is currently 8th on the all-time passing yardage chart trailing only Phillip Rivers, Dan Marino, Ben Roethlisberger, Brett Farve, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, and Tom Brady. If he remains healthy over the next three seasons when all is said and done Ryan will end his career in the top five. If his career ended today he would be a top ten passer in nearly every major category.

• 59,735 Career Passing Yards 
  • 2016 MVP
  • 367-Touchdowns Thrown 
  • 2008 OROY 
  • 2016 OPOY 
  • 42-Game winning drives  
  • Owns most passing yards through a player’s first 14-seasons in NFL history 
  • Surpassed 4,000-passing yards from 2011-2020 only Drew Brees accomplished this as well 
  • 10th QB in NFL history to surpass 50,000-passing yards 

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'll drop it with you after this.  I think its bad karma debating this anymore -- it would give me no joy to see Matt Ryan smoke Wentz when they play head to head.  And since I don't want that to happen especially since I am going to that game and I am a superstitous dude, I'll put a stop to this Ryan stuff.  :ols:

https://bloggingdirty.com/2022/03/21/3-reasons-matt-ryan-headed-hall-fame/4/

Matt Ryan is currently 8th on the all-time passing yardage chart trailing only Phillip Rivers, Dan Marino, Ben Roethlisberger, Brett Farve, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, and Tom Brady. If he remains healthy over the next three seasons when all is said and done Ryan will end his career in the top five. If his career ended today he would be a top ten passer in nearly every major category.

• 59,735 Career Passing Yards 
  • 2016 MVP
  • 367-Touchdowns Thrown 
  • 2008 OROY 
  • 2016 OPOY 
  • 42-Game winning drives  
  • Owns most passing yards through a player’s first 14-seasons in NFL history 
  • Surpassed 4,000-passing yards from 2011-2020 only Drew Brees accomplished this as well 
  • 10th QB in NFL history to surpass 50,000-passing yards 

Yeah I think we're probably playing with karma fire at this point.  :ols:

Agree to disagree, we can drop it.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

What immediate, inherent hit did Wentz' rep take? Gotta have rep to lose rep. The perception was that he will continue to not be good enough to be a franchise QB, not that he was good enough right before the trade and suddenly and magically isnt. 

We are not in a timeline where Wentz is being treated worse after the trade than he was before. On both sides of the move he was getting bashed by the colts owner, media, talking heads, analysts, you name it. His situation is not going to be comparable to previous "franchise saviors" as they had at least some level of reputation positivity to carry over to our franchise whereas Wentz already had none before his arrival. The situation he was in with the Colts at the end was nothing short of point and laugh at every level of media. There is no doubt that he was NFL punchline #1 before we ever came knocking.

If you go out and sign a dude who was already NFL punchline #1, and the media continues that narrative, that is not a sign of increased negativity. Its sustained negativity. The main diff between him and his predecessors is they were not sitting at zero rep when we got to them.

I think the thing you are missing is Wentz's reputation was not that bad in January of 2021. The mess with the Eagles was a black eye, but his reputation was good enough that the Colts traded a 1st and 3rd for him.  Also, I think it's worth noting the Eagles actually wanted to keep Wentz, but Wentz wanted a new start, especially after the firing of Pederson. 

If memory serves, Pederson actually really liked Wentz, and thought he was the definitive starting QB going forward.  The Eagles 2020 season was a disaster for a variety of reasons, and at the end of the day, Pederson couldn't work it out with the Lurie/Roseman, and was fired.  Then there was a period where the Eagles said they were going to keep Wentz, and then there was the divorce.  The whole thing was messy, and nobody looked good.  

BUT Wentz was ABSOLUTELY still seen as a starting QB in the league, or else he would not have been traded for a 1st and a 3rd.  

And he didn't have a bad 2021 season.  If one or two things go differently, he's still the QB of the Colts, and is seen as a middle-of-the-pack (14-17) QB in the NFL.  Which is where he has bee, basically since 2018, with the exception of the 2020 season.  

Then 2 things happened:

1. Irsay fired up the slime machine, and dropped BUCKETS of slime on him to try and make Wentz look bad so folks would forget the Colts traded a 1st and 3rd for a guy who they wanted to get rid of.  It's the patented Dan Snyder move (which I'm shocked more folks on this board haven't recognized: "Something bad going on over here - LOOK AT THIS THING OVER THERE!"  This started right after the season in drips and drops, but it picked up steam.  It was extremely well orchestrated. (Which is where it is different from the Dan Snyder playbook.)  Irsay had media members to his suite, went on radio shows, he got Reich and Ballard in-line to repeat the company line, and the machine was rolling down hill on Wentz.

2. Wentz got traded to the team which literally everybody in the media likes to hate on no matter what, which was in the middle of a congressional investigation, and all of the off-the-field stuff.  So, there was no benefit of the doubt given to the Wentz because of the team he was traded to.  If he had been traded to any team with a good reputation and the HC/GM put their arm around Wentz and said what Ron has said since they traded for him, he would be perceived differently.  But he was traded here to the 6th circle of media hell.  

Because the media is carefully using criticizing Wentz to pile on to the Commanders.  By criticizing Wentz, they are able to criticize the team without being as obvious about it.

The thing is, there's nothing anybody can do about any of it.  The only thing they can do is go out and blow the doors of the Jags and Lions and then split with the Eagles and Cowboys, and then it will settle down.

Even if they beat the Jags, the story will be "Yeah, but it was the Jags.  They're supposed to win."  Same with the Lions.  

This narrative won't change until they win their way out of it.  Which, I hope they can do.  I'm optimistic they might be able to do.  But it's far, far, far from a certainty, and if they start 0-4, I wouldn't be entirely shocked.  EXTREMLY disappointed, but not shocked.  (If you want to see me turn on Ron, who's back I have had from the beginning, an 0-4 start absent a Wentz injury would probably do it. If a backup QB is playing, then all bets are off, I wouldn't expect them to win any games and any they do would be gravy. )  

• Like 4

12 hours ago, mistertim said:

IMO he's mostly a paper tiger. A slightly upgraded Kirk Cousins. He puts up lots of yards but doesn't put up lots of points.

If Cousins were to play for approximately 10 more years, at his current 17 game average of passing touchdowns at 30, he would finish 4th all time in passing touchdowns behind Peyton Manning.  In Cousins first 120 starts he has 1,932 more passing yards and 19 more touchdowns than Brees did in his first 120 starts.   

38 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

If Cousins were to play for approximately 10 more years, at his current 17 game average of passing touchdowns at 30, he would finish 4th all time in passing touchdowns behind Peyton Manning.  In Cousins first 120 starts he has 1,932 more passing yards and 19 more touchdowns than Brees did in his first 120 starts.   

I have never understood the Cousins hate. Dude is a baller, and "You Like That"

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I think the thing you are missing is Wentz's reputation was not that bad in January of 2021. The mess with the Eagles was a black eye, but his reputation was good enough that the Colts traded a 1st and 3rd for him.  Also, I think it's worth noting the Eagles actually wanted to keep Wentz, but Wentz wanted a new start, especially after the firing of Pederson. 

There is no question that Wentz reputation has gone down over the last few years but that has nothing to do with the fact that his reputation has not changed from the days before our trade for him and now. He is in the same spot now, that he was in before we got him.

We didn't trade for 2021 fresh off the Eagles Wentz. He had a different reputational standing than his 1 yr in the future variant and our team had zero impact on the change between where he was then and where he is now, as he was not on our squad.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

There is no question that Wentz reputation has gone down over the last few years but that has nothing to do with the fact that his reputation has not changed from the days before our trade for him and now. He is in the same spot now, that he was in before we got him.

We didn't trade for 2021 fresh off the Eagles Wentz. He had a different reputational standing than his 1 yr in the future variant and our team had zero impact on the change between where he was then and where he is now, as he was not on our squad.

I don't agree with that.  I think once he landed at the Commanders, it was even more of an open season.  

If he had landed with the Bucs, Patriots, Giants, or a number of other teams, there would not have been nearly as much criticism, outside of what Irsay could control.

It was the fact he came here which allowed the absolutely insanely ridiculous amount of criticism to continue. 

31 minutes ago, Jbird7 said:

It's the money.  He played his leverage position to such the max (which I have no problem with, honestly) while coming up small in the biggest moments, and having some epic moments of stupidity.  And the fact he was making top-5 money as a non-top-5 QB.

It is funny, though.  Cousins gets a lot of hate from the fans.  McCloughan and Bruce blew those negotiations in the 2016 off-season.  It's odd to me the level of hate Cousins receives, because almost everybody will say Bruce screwed up the negotiations, but at the same time, they'll hate on Kirk, mostly because he used his leverage. 

Shrug.  I don't hate kirk.  I would not have given him the contract the Vikings did though.  He's not that guy.  You can't win with Kirk and that contract.  You can win with Kirk and a more reasonable contract.  It's really that simple.  

Oh, and he also comes off as an awkward dweeb.  Which never bothered me.  I might be somewhat of an awkward dweeb myself.  But I think his media persona rubbed people the wrong way.  

• Like 3

Wentz going to the Colts for a 1rst and 3rd was considered one of the best moves of the last offseason.

He gets in a fight with the owner, offense is inconsistent (which wasn't all on him), then lose to the Jags to finish the season and gets scapegoated.  

Trade him to the team with the hated owner, that doesn't win much and it's such an easy target to hit, that the media runs wild with it.

If he went to the Steelers for a 2&3 and a modest voidable contract it would be considered a major win and they'd be asking if he should be talked about as a top 10 QB. Hell, they're almost doing that with Mitch ****ing Trubisky.

Can't wait to see Wentz trust that Terry and TMac will catch the 50/50's and see him get closer to 17 then 20.

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I don't agree with that.  I think once he landed at the Commanders, it was even more of an open season.  

If he had landed with the Bucs, Patriots, Giants, or a number of other teams, there would not have been nearly as much criticism, outside of what Irsay could control.

It was the fact he came here which allowed the absolutely insanely ridiculous amount of criticism to continue. 

It's the money.  He played his leverage position to such the max (which I have no problem with, honestly) while coming up small in the biggest moments, and having some epic moments of stupidity.  And the fact he was making top-5 money as a non-top-5 QB.

It is funny, though.  Cousins gets a lot of hate from the fans.  McCloughan and Bruce blew those negotiations in the 2016 off-season.  It's odd to me the level of hate Cousins receives, because almost everybody will say Bruce screwed up the negotiations, but at the same time, they'll hate on Kirk, mostly because he used his leverage. 

Shrug.  I don't hate kirk.  I would not have given him the contract the Vikings did though.  He's not that guy.  You can't win with Kirk and that contract.  You can win with Kirk and a more reasonable contract.  It's really that simple.  

Oh, and he also comes off as an awkward dweeb.  Which never bothered me.  I might be somewhat of an awkward dweeb myself.  But I think his media persona rubbed people the wrong way.  

If you look at Kirk's history, he seems to have a chip on his shoulder from never being anyone's fist choice. It's  unpleasant and makes it easy to dislike him

Interesting the national sports media is all about making excuses for Stafford today.  "He's streaky, that's who he is, throws a lot of interceptions, they'll get it fixed" - okay maybe.  

If Wentz has a good year, it won't fit everyone's narrative on him.

https://commanderscapitol.com/2022/06/14/kind-of-year-carson-wentz/

The Kind of Year Carson Needs

No matter what his former teammates think, the kind of year Carson Wentz needs to be considered a success with the Commanders starts with winning at least ten games and making the playoffs in 2022. That literally is the floor on expectations. It may seem extreme to some, but when you’re paying a guy $28 million a year, you expect results.

Stat-wise, I would expect a successful, healthy year to be somewhere around 4000 yards passing with 35-40 touchdowns, and completing somewhere near 70% of his passes depending on how much the Commanders run the ball. With the group of weapons they’ve put together for Carson and his big-play arm, he should be able to light the scoreboard up this coming fall. More importantly, Carson needs to gel early and often with his teammates.

This may be Carson’s last chance at being a starting quarterback in the NFL. He needs this to work just as much as the Commanders need him to work as their starter. If things go well, this could indeed be a match made in heaven in terms of an offensive fit.

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Another orgs ability to have their reputation positively effect Wentz does not equal our teams reputation dragging him down when the man was sitting at rock bottom before acquisition.

Our team did not cost Wentz any of that rep a different org would have transferred as he didn't possess it. At best its opportunity loss, and from an opportunity that Wentz himself had no say in the matter to gain. Wentz never had a choice to go to a different org where he may have been able to be viewed in a better light, he was traded here by our will not his.

He went from being the NFLs biggest punchline to continuing to be the NFLs biggest punchline, nothing changed. There was no additional fall. All we saw was a continuation, which is not a deterioration of reputation but rather a maintaining of status quo. Wentz might not of gained anything from the trade, but he lost nothing either.

Wentz being looked upon more favorably in the event he is picked up by Billy B is not an argument that he lost reputation coming here, especially when he had no choice in the matter.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Interesting the national sports media is all about making excuses for Stafford today.  "He's streaky, that's who he is, throws a lot of interceptions, they'll get it fixed" - okay maybe.  

If Wentz has a good year, it won't fit everyone's narrative on him.

If he comes in and wins the Super Bowl this year the media will be all over him until they remember Dan Snyder exists. 

None of this stuff is in a vacuum and its never more obvious than it is when its here. 

4 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Because he always threw up on himself when it mattered the most. A bunch of games with empty stats. Especially in garbage time. 

I could find lots of reason to dislike the guy. This being one of my favorites. There was one year where someone tracked all the garbage yards and he was pretty high on the list. 

Truth is, though....he replaced my boy and was such a douche about it. Finding a reason to dislike him was secondary. But I'm talented in that regard lol 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

He went from being the NFLs biggest punchline to continuing to be the NFLs biggest punchline, nothing changed.

You know this isn’t true.

He was not the NFL’s biggest punchline, until the Irsay stuff right around the time of the trade.  In fact, the whole “Colts looking to dump Wentz” narrative came out of left field, because it really didn’t make any sense.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

You know, they may be right Wentz would have eventually been released…

But… I’m not sure Wentz decides this is the spot for his services if he is :ols:

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Because he always threw up on himself when it mattered the most. A bunch of games with empty stats. Especially in garbage time. 

That’s actually not true.  He has a whole bunch of comeback wins, 4th quarter wins, etc.  you can look up those stats but I believe he even came close to leading the league in comebacks one of the last couple years.  

He has also had some epic meltdowns.  

To say he ALWAYS melts down is an exaggeration.  And I find it pretty hysterical you are claiming empty stats, as you worship at the alter of the almighty statistics.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jbird7 said:

The 2 biggest reasons I disliked Cousins! 1.  It’s the way he went about his renegotiating his contract. Refusing too until after march waiting to put the skins in a position leave them out to dry in regards of getting any quarterback. He never had any intentions of resigning here.  He was just looking to put Washington in the worse predicament that he possibly could!   2.  And this is the one that really put the nail in the coffin!  Charging the fans 100.00$ to come to a press conference that he wanted to address the fans!  First thing out of his mouth was he wanted to stay a Redskin(which I believe was a flat out lie). And the second thing he had to say was that he would not negotiate a new contract until after march!