Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

1 hour ago, Conn said:

damn

Wright definitely gonna get killed for this…

Well, that is Florio's outlet, isn't it? He's going to take shots even if we employed Mother Theresa.  

Yeah, he's going to get killed for it.  I didn't think it was quite as egregious as he did.  I think the phrasing might have been a bit better.  But asking Carson "hey, you look to be struggling with accuracy, and that's become kindof a national story, can you explain it a little bit?" is a fair question.  

I think the guys in the locker-room, however, will appreciate the Team President is sticking up for them.  

The media in this area is pretty sensitive to the criticism that they are always negative.  They all like to say, "we just report the news, the team is bad, Dan is Dan, and what do you want us to do?"  Kevin and Thom probably have done 500 hours of how this is not a hard media market.  There was an article which said something like 75% of headlines about the Commanders were negative, and JP flipped his lid saying that has nothing to do with the media. So I'm sure Kevin and Thom are going to do hours on the team being too sensitive to criticism, and they will all defend their own.  That's my guess.  I haven't heard anything yet, but that's what my crystal ball says.  

I think there is a distinction between "harsh" or "hard" media market and a negative one.  I think this is a very negative media market.

• Like 1

Local media has been doing everything it can for the last few months to question the narratives surrounding Wentz.  The only problem is that when they have guys from Indy or Philly on, they just do nothing but reaffirm them.  And these last two tweets are as close as they are going to get to actually criticize Wright and stick up for Abramson.  

The issue isn't so much questions that the dude asked, it's just the whole Philly and Indy kicked him to the curb stuff has been talked about ad nauseum and Carson has answered those questions on numerous occasions.  There is literally nothing to gain for Carson, the fans, or even the reporter by bringing this up for the umpteenth time.  He's beating a dead horse and doing it proudly - as evidenced by his tone.

It's one thing to beat the dead horse that Dan Snyder is an awful human, because he is indeed an awful human who regularly gives reason to hate on him and always hides from the hate.  Its another thing to just be pompous and borderline rude to Wentz of whom has been nothing but nice since he got here, all the while you as a reporter are bringing zero new substance to the table at all

• Like 3

All it will take is ONE great game vs Jags where he tosses 3 TDs and wins 28-10, and these same media clowns will be clamoring to wash Carson's laundry for him.

It's easy to pile on.  It's hard to ask meaningful questions that last more than one news cycle.  

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, illone said:

All it will take is ONE great game vs Jags where he tosses 3 TDs and wins 28-10, and these same media clowns will be clamoring to wash Carson's laundry for him.

It's easy to pile on.  It's hard to ask meaningful questions that last more than one news cycle.  

Most have backed off the “he’s a terrible teammate” thing snd have moved to “can’t hit the ocean from a rowboat drifting 10 miles off the coast of Iceland.”

I said before we acquired him he was one of the 15-18 people walking the earth who deserves one if the 32 starting QB jobs.  

I maintain her will be “fine.”  He’s the best QB we’ve had since Kurt.  Better than Smith.  Certainly better than the drek that wasn’t Smith since Kurt left.  

So much of this is going to be hiw the choose to use him.  If they really commit to throwing on early downs and run the offense through Wentz, he’s good for 240 yards per game and probably 30TDs. There will be some mistakes and boneheaded plays.  But you’ll live with that for the upside.  

If they try and run the offense the colts ran last year they will suck.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Most have backed off the “he’s a terrible teammate” thing snd have moved to “can’t hit the ocean from a rowboat drifting 10 miles off the coast of Iceland.”

I said before we acquired him he was one of the 15-18 people walking the earth who deserves one if the 32 starting QB jobs.  

I maintain her will be “fine.”  He’s the best QB we’ve had since Kurt.  Better than Smith.  Certainly better than the drek that wasn’t Smith since Kurt left.  

So much of this is going to be hiw the choose to use him.  If they really commit to throwing on early downs and run the offense through Wentz, he’s good for 240 yards per game and probably 30TDs. There will be some mistakes and boneheaded plays.  But you’ll live with that for the upside.  

If they try and run the offense the colts ran last year they will suck.  

Just yesterday, one of the shows (junkies/Sheehan or JP BMitch) was saying that he says the canned responses in interviews. It's always "we" when we lose and "I"when we win. They said that rubbed teammates the wrong way. I think that was JP. 

58 minutes ago, illone said:

I agree with this. I think it will be like 2012 when people were predicting everything bad to happen then RG3 played against NO and we won so the question became how good can we be. 

1 hour ago, Thinking Skins said:

Just yesterday, one of the shows (junkies/Sheehan or JP BMitch) was saying that he says the canned responses in interviews. It's always "we" when we lose and "I"when we win. They said that rubbed teammates the wrong way. I think that was JP. 

I don't think anybody has altered much of anything. Now that we are in TC, topics are simply becoming more applicable to physical performance than the tangential issues that were focused on in the offseason.

Now that actual work is being put in and things are ramping up on that end, naturally the focus shifts more to that direction. How he looks in camp, how he preforms in preseason, etc.

Edited by FootballZombie

Well, I haven't heard any of that so far since he's been here.  He has taken responsibility for everything himself.  Maybe that was in the past.  It's also possible it happened once and has been spun into a story.  

I believe exactly zero things Sheehan says about anything to do with Wentz.  He has actively lied on his show about it.  He had a guest on, interviewed him, and then twisted what he said to his next guest.  

The Junkies don't have enough mental aptitude between them to understand that statement.  

JP, maybe he's somewhat credible.  But only on his podcast.  If it was a segment with BMitch, it's radio drek.  

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

I don't think anybody has altered much of anything. Now that we are in TC, topics are simply becoming more applicable to physical performance than the tangential issues that were focused on in the offseason.

Now that actual work is being put in and things are ramping up on that end, naturally the focus shifts more to that direction. How he looks in camp, how he preforms in preseason, etc.

It's the focus though. People talked about interceptions in camp, but he's not known for throwing interceptions. People were excited about Fitz last year because he would make the offense exciting, we're hearing none of that. Since they went into pads, he threw 0 ints until wed or Thurs. But we didn't hear that. Only Sherman and Thom taking about his worse showing of a QB ever, and Thom saying he'd be benched by week 10. He's had his best string of practices for like a week plus but we're only hearing about him being steaky. 

It's not just made up stories it's them focusing on stuff to get fans riled up. 

I don't really care cause I just turn it off or laugh at it, but it's there. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

It's the focus though. People talked about interceptions in camp, but he's not known for throwing interceptions. People were excited about Fitz last year because he would make the offense exciting, we're hearing none of that. Since they went into pads, he threw 0 ints until wed or Thurs. But we didn't hear that. Only Sherman and Thom taking about his worse showing of a QB ever, and Thom saying he'd be benched by week 10. He's had his best string of practices for like a week plus but we're only hearing about him being steaky. 

It's not just made up stories it's them focusing on stuff to get fans riled up. 

I don't really care cause I just turn it off or laugh at it, but it's there. 

Sorry to say thus, but none of this matters until the season starts.  Either he puts up the same numbers he did in Indy or better and he leads us to a division title, or he falls flat on his face like he did in Philly in 2020, and we get ridiculed for wasting draft picks to acquire him.  The only person who can switch the narrative on Carson Wentz is Carson Wentz himself.  The media is not going to change their narrative on him until he proves that he can be a great teammate/leader, and he excels in the playoffs (something he has yet to do in his career).  Until he does, people will think of him as an average at best, anti-clutch QB with a penchant for extremely stupid and costly mistakes at the most inopportune times.

Edited by samy316
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, samy316 said:

Sorry to say thus, but none of this matters until the season starts.  Either he puts up the same numbers he did in Indy or better and he leads us to a division title, or he falls flat on his face like he did in Philly in 2020, and we get ridiculed for wasting draft picks to acquire him.  The only person who can switch the narrative on Carson Wentz is Carson Wentz himself.  The media is not going to change their narrative on him until he proves that he can be a great teammate/leader, and he excels in the playoffs (something he has yet to do in his career).  Until he does, people will think of him as an average at best, anti-clutch QB with a penchant for extremely stupid and costly mistakes at the most inopportune times.

Yeah. I really don't care about the media in June or July. It's just frustrating that there are other stories they could be talking about but they're just trying to get the fans riled up. I go back to the stories around signing Terry. They were having call in segments on how we were going to mess it up. We didn't. But that didn't matter. They filled the airwaves and got through with some content. I just think it could have been done better. But I just turned it off because it wasn't for me. I can come here or on Twitter and talk to fans in a positive way or about things I care about.

The media doesn't even try any more. And I know people praise Keim like he's the best but my guy is Galdi. He's different than Keim cause he's not a beat but, he brings content. He did a segment on interception percentage on Thursday and it was great. Most of these guys aren't putting that kind of effort into stuff.

I love that Carson -- who for all we know is in a complete bubble -- now knows for sure that so many think he's done and that his camp hasn't been great.  (Even if both aren't true)

And I love that Wright defended a player. 

Win-win.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

The media doesn't even try any more. And I know people praise Keim like he's the best but my guy is Galdi. He's different than Keim cause he's not a beat but, he brings content. He did a segment on interception percentage on Thursday and it was great. Most of these guys aren't putting that kind of effort into stuff.

I like both of them, but they are entirely different.  Galdi doesn't break news, or at least doesn't break news often.  I'm sure he has some connections in the building, but he's not at practice every day, he doesn't interact with coaches and players.  

I think Keim is very good at what he does.  Standig also.  To me, those are the two standout beat reporters.  

JP was good until he got his radio show with BMitch, and now he's more schtick than substance.  

Of the "opinion" guys, Galdi is the best. Sheehan used to be on top of the hill, but he's suffered such Dan Snyder trauma, he's turned into a completely different person. 

The only issue I have with Galdi is he keeps having some of the bozos from PFF on.  Other than that, I thoroughly enjoy his podcast and listen to it daily  

9 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I like both of them, but they are entirely different.  Galdi doesn't break news, or at least doesn't break news often.  I'm sure he has some connections in the building, but he's not at practice every day, he doesn't interact with coaches and players.  

I think Keim is very good at what he does.  Standig also.  To me, those are the two standout beat reporters.  

JP was good until he got his radio show with BMitch, and now he's more schtick than substance.  

Of the "opinion" guys, Galdi is the best. Sheehan used to be on top of the hill, but he's suffered such Dan Snyder trauma, he's turned into a completely different person. 

The only issue I have with Galdi is he keeps having some of the bozos from PFF on.  Other than that, I thoroughly enjoy his podcast and listen to it daily  

Since Keim launched his podcast, the lines have blurred more. He gives the practice reports which are similar to JP and Logan and Standing. But he also opines on these reports which puts him in with Galdi. Given he doesn't go overboard with his opinions and I like that but he's also not a fan and so he doesn't try to convince himself that things could work out. That's where Galdi and (I hate to say it) EB from the junkies come in. Galdi uses facts and stats to say here's a legit reason for optimism. I think if he wanted to be could easily work for a bigger name company like a TV station or a pff or football outsiders type. EB is on the other end and just hopes to hope. Its a shtick, but one that this fan base needs. 

and with the exception of Thor, I've liked Galdi's guests. It's not always pro skins but it's informative about how analytics are changing the game. I'm skeptical about some of them but I do like that they're pushing the envelope. 

Since Keim launched his podcast, the lines have blurred more.

(edited for space)

Yeah, I get that, but Keim, JP and Standig all have podcasts.  I don't think the print media folks do.  

I like both Keim and Standig's podcasts, especially the structure.  They both sortof start with "the news"  where they will do the beat reporter thing.  Then most of the time they will have a guest where they discuss their opinions of the news.  

JP's podcast is different.  It's 20% news, 80% schtick.  I actually like it because I think JP, Mitch and Pete have good chemistry. And it's entertaining.  But I don't listen to it for anything other than personal amusement.

The best podcast/radio guest is, in my opinion, Michael Phillips of the Richmond Times Dispatch.  I really like Philly, and think he does a really good job.  He isn't always right with his opinions, but he is very practical.  

I can't listen to the Junkies.  for every 30 seconds of intelligent conversation there might be, there are 3 years of useless self-promotion drek.  It might be for some people, and based on their ratings, it is, but it isn't for me. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

The best podcast/radio guest is, in my opinion, Michael Phillips of the Richmond Times Dispatch.  I really like Philly, and think he does a really good job.  He isn't always right with his opinions, but he is very practical.  

Does he have a podcast? I don't listen to him

11 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

Does he have a podcast? I don't listen to him

No, he is just a guest on every other podcast.  He’s probably on 2-3 times a week somewhere.  Assuming he gets paid for the appearances, it’s good work.  Doesn’t have to worry about producing the podcasts and gets paid anyway.  

18 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

Soo...there are reports that Wentz can't hit the deep ball, then reports that he can, but not the intermediate, but he excels at intermediate throws. Which is it?

I think we should all expect a guy who ranked 27th in completion percentage last season to have some accuracy issues...which, is what I take from your summary of his performance. 

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/player-stat/completion-percentage

That said, he's got the arm to stretch the field like we haven't seen in a few seasons, and it's on Turner to run the offense to accentuate his strengths. 

We shall soon see how that pairing works out. But, if we're relying on the accuracy of Wentz's arm vs. his ability to use it as a cannon, I think that's a losing strategy. 

1 hour ago, formerly4skins said:

I think we should all expect a guy who ranked 27th in completion percentage last season to have some accuracy issues...which, is what I take from your summary of his performance. 

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/player-stat/completion-percentage

That said, he's got the arm to stretch the field like we haven't seen in a few seasons, and it's on Turner to run the offense to accentuate his strengths. 

We shall soon see how that pairing works out. But, if we're relying on the accuracy of Wentz's arm vs. his ability to use it as a cannon, I think that's a losing strategy. 

Personally, I'm ok with his accuracy. It seems to be everyone else that has a problem with him.