Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Dems Fighting to get stuff done and fighting to succeed Joe

88Comrade2000

The Fighting Democrats:  Disunited and Incompetent- How do you fix them to become a majority party again? 

We have a thread for the gop but we should have one for the Dems too.

The Joe Biden presidency is about to be effectively deep sixed, with the possible failure of the 2 infrastructure deals.

Progressives are flexing their muscles on one side.  Moderates/Conservatives are flexing their muscles on the other side. 

Joe Joe Machin, did say something today that actually made sense.  He said for progressives to get everything they want; they have to win elections.

I don't remember Progressives Sanders or Warren winning the nomination. I don't remember the Dems winning more house Seats with progressives. I don't remember

Dems winning a majority in the Senate. All they could they do was tie, in a fluke special election.  The Dems should won 2-3 Senate seats in November; that would've made

Machin and Sinema irrelevant. 

I think the Dems needs to compromise to get something now; then you can campaign on what you passed so you can elect more members in 22 and then be able to add to

what you passed in 21.   This all and nothing approach will result in nothing getting passed.

The Dems are a weak party.  They aren't really united and are full of incompetence.    How do you fix them, so they can be majority party again.  The gOP rules everywhere. Even in minority status; the gop has more power than the Dems.

Just in- there will be no vote. 

I thought someone created a Dem thread but I couldn't find it.  If there is one, please merge it.

Edited by Rdskns2000

I think the Dems & Progressives do a much better job on agreeing/compromising on social issues because the country itself usually is moving in that direction and is ahead of the curve and the Dems are more willing to acknowledge it (often times too late, but still).

On economics the problem is the donor class funds a lot of Democrats too.  The GOP is much more shameless and unapologetic about it, and make their intentions perfectly clear, but there are plenty of Democrats who take the same or similar money from a lot of those organizations too so as soon as this bill involved raising taxes on billionaires I knew it was going to struggle.

For every person who says they want "businessmen" in office or as President even, I show you exhibit A as to why that is a horrible idea.  These "businessmen" are going to look out for their peers over the good of the majority of the people/country.  

That 3.5 trillion (over 10 years) package was paid for.  It was debt neutral, but still not good enough for Manchin & Sinema.  They ever really even said publicly what it was in the bill they would like to see cut.  They were too cowardly to actually come out against anything specifically because the fact is everything in the bill is popular with the American people so instead you just keep repeating "3.5 trillion" over and over as a way to try and deflect. 

What stings about this debacle more than usual is that  Manchin & Sinema both know the Democratic majority is slim and they had to fight with everything they had to achieve it.  They also both know that if this legislation fails, the entire party is very likely paying the price in 2022.  They don't seem to be very concerned at the ramifications of tanking Biden's legislation efforts.  Their concern is the tax rates of their donors. 

Edited by NoCalMike
  • Like 1

Seems like this thread is the appropriate place to re-post these articles:

Manchin says reconciliation bill must include controversial Hyde Amendment

Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) said late Wednesday that an expansion of Medicaid that Democrats are seeking to pass as part of their massive reconciliation bill must include the Hyde Amendment to get his support.

“Yeah, we’re not taking the Hyde Amendment off. Hyde’s going to be on,” Manchin told National Review when asked about a proposed Medicaid-like program in the reconciliation bill.

“It has to be. It has to be. That’s dead on arrival if that’s gone,” Manchin, who has described himself as "pro-life, and proud of it," added.

Under the Hyde Amendment, Medicaid and other federal programs are prohibited from covering abortion expenses. Government spending bills have included the stipulation since 1976. 

Some Democrats are pushing to include a Medicaid-like program in the reconciliation package in which the federal government would step in and provide coverage in the 12 GOP-led states that have so far declined to expand Medicaid under the Affordable Care Act.  

The Democrats' proposal does not include language reflecting the Hyde Amendment. 

Democrats are trying to move a massive spending package that could include the Medicaid language through a process known as budget reconciliation, which prevents it from being filibustered. This means they could move the package through the Senate with no GOP votes, but they cannot afford a single Democratic defection. 

Bills have been routinely passed with Hyde Amendment language for years, but doing so has grown much more controversial among Democrats, and the new debate would come as many Democrats worry over access to abortion rights given state laws limiting the practice. 

Click on the link for the full article

--------------------

From Radical Activist to Senate Obstructionist: The Metamorphosis of Kyrsten Sinema

Kyrsten Sinema wasn’t the only Democrat to vote against including a $15 federal minimum wage in the $1.9 trillion Covid relief bill in early March, but she was the only one whose vote became a meme. The clip itself is short and sparse: Sinema, the 44-year-old first-term Democratic senator from Arizona, walks briskly around the well of the chamber, gives Mitch McConnell a friendly pat on the back, and pauses in front of the clerk. Then she thrusts her right thumb dramatically down, dipping her body for emphasis.

“Ms. Sinema. Ms. Sinema: No,” says the clerk, recording her vote. But Sinema, by this point, is already gone.

That morning, she had brought a chocolate cake for the floor staff who worked long hours before the final stimulus vote. Now “Marie Antoinette” was trending on Twitter. Within a few hours, the image was everywhere—on cable news, late-night shows, even the side of an old flour mill in downtown Tempe, near the intersection where, in 2003, Sinema led an anti-war vigil on the eve of the invasion of Iraq. “Keep the cake,” read the message projected onto the building. “Support the $15 minimum wage now.”

To Sinema’s progressive critics, her vote was a funhouse mirror image of John McCain’s thumbs-down vote to save the Affordable Care Act four years earlier—only now an Arizona Democrat was rejecting one of her party’s biggest legislative priorities. More alarming was her opposition to reforming the filibuster, the Senate rule that allows a minority of senators to block a piece of legislation from coming to a vote. Weeks earlier, Sinema, who rarely speaks to reporters from news outlets that are not based in her home state, had drawn a sharp line during an interview with Politico: “I want to restore the 60-vote threshold for all elements of the Senate’s work,” she said. In the face of united Republican opposition, many Democrats feared such a standard would doom almost every piece of their agenda—from immigration reform to voting rights to LGBTQ equality.

Democrats expected such intransigence from West Virginia’s Joe Manchin, a conservative from a state Donald Trump carried by 39 points, who once shot climate legislation with a gun and whose wife cuts his hair with a Flowbee. But to those who have supported Sinema from the beginning of her career, her heel-turn is more painful. Long before she became one of the Democratic caucus’s most centrist members, Sinema was so liberal she refused to even join the party. From her family’s struggle with poverty during her childhood to her Green Party roots, her rise is the story of striving and adaptation, and of the transformation not just of an idealist, but of a state—from a Republican stronghold she once dubbed the “meth lab of democracy” to a bona fide battleground.

But in the process, Sinema has left some back home wondering whether she’s misread the lessons of her own ascent. As a progressive in one of the nation’s most conservative state legislatures, Sinema abandoned her early radicalism for a new theory of change. She learned to play nice, seeking incremental progress through careful messaging and across-the-aisle relationships, and reinventing herself as a post-partisan deal-maker. But her success was also powered by an army of activists—outsiders like she had once been—operating on a far different theory of change. Now, for the first time in her career, she holds real power. The future of the party and the Senate just might hinge on what Kyrsten Sinema wants to do with it.

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 1

‘We're Going to Make the Rich Pay,’ Joe Manchin Tells Protesters From His Yacht

Activists kayaked to Senator Joe Manchin's $700,000 yacht to ask why he wouldn't support the infrastructure bill.

1633111881612-manchin.png?crop=0.9606xw:

For the past week, activists have been kayaking to Senator Joe Manchin's yacht to question why he's refusing to support the $3.5 trillion reconciliation bill to fund Biden’s legislative agenda. Thursday was the first day Manchin seems to have come out and talked with the protesters, although he didn’t say much of substance.

Click on the link for the full story

It just shows you how right wing mainstream politics are in this county.  The vast majority of Dems are centrists.  Bernie, AOC, etc are leftists.  There are no extreme leftists.  Meanwhile, the GOP pushes further right with each passing day.

I still refuse to call myself a Democrat because they rarely deliver the things I want to see done.  I'm just anti-Republican.

• Like 1

On 9/30/2021 at 10:41 PM, Rdskns2000 said:

I don't remember Progressives Sanders or Warren winning the nomination. I don't remember the Dems winning more house Seats with progressives. I don't remember

Dems winning a majority in the Senate. All they could they do was tie, in a fluke special election.  The Dems should won 2-3 Senate seats in November; that would've made

Machin and Sinema irrelevant. 

Also appears to have written this drunk.  

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Haha 1

Joe Manchin isn’t ideal but he’s really valuable as a senator from a deep red state and his replacement would be horrible.

Kyrsten Sinema is an actual clown on the other hand. She has no reason to be throwing the tantrum that she is considering Mark Kelly ran ahead of her #s, is actually working to advance the liberal agenda and she’s not even up for re-election in 22 like he is.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

ACA, Dodd Frank, repeal of don't ask don't tell, 2008 stimulus, fair play act, fair sentencing act, credit card reforms, Disclose act. There's more but I'm lazy.

I'm not a yuge fan of Pelosi still holding on to leadership as she is ancient but she's done plenty of good for the America over her career. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I’ve come around. Both bills will get done. The reconciliation won’t be 3.5 but it’ll be around 2 and will still likely be impressive and historical. 

The next priority after these two bills for Dems is figuring out what to do with voting rights so they can increase their margins and stop the fascist gop onslaught. That will also let them pass even better legislation in the future

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

40 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

NANCY PELOSI IS TEARING THIS COUNTRY APART!

nope. Just a bag of hot air mostly.

41 minutes ago, clietas said:

ACA, Dodd Frank, repeal of don't ask don't tell, 2008 stimulus, fair play act, fair sentencing act, credit card reforms, Disclose act. There's more but I'm lazy.

I'm not a yuge fan of Pelosi still holding on to leadership as she is ancient but she's done plenty of good for the America over her career. 

The things you mentioned happened while she was in leadership but they would have happened whether she was leader or not.

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb down 1

There was a time when Dems dominated everything.

US House - 40 years: 54-94

US Senate- 34 years: 54-80, 86-94

They had the majority of governorships.

They also had a majority of state legislatures.

That isn't the case now.

They have a 3 seat majority in the House, only tied in the Senate, but due to having the White House having Senate control.  The GOP still has control of more governships and control a majority of the state legislatures. 

The Dems needs to break that GOP grip. Structurally, even though they are more Dems; the structure favors the gop on the presidential level thru the electoral college and the senate level.  We are seeing the damage done at the state level, with so much gop control.

Edited by Rdskns2000
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, No Excuses said:

Joe Manchin isn’t ideal but he’s really valuable as a senator from a deep red state and his replacement would be horrible.

Kyrsten Sinema is an actual clown on the other hand. She has no reason to be throwing the tantrum that she is considering Mark Kelly ran ahead of her #s, is actually working to advance the liberal agenda and she’s not even up for re-election in 22 like he is.

She is ****ing awful and is actively destroying her political future. I can see her attempting to run 3rd party or switch to GOP if she loses the Dem primary. Every time  I hear about her BS, I hope Cal Cunningham gets kicks in the balls. 

• Like 1