Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things defense

ThomasRoane

20 minutes ago, philibusters said:

Herbert's cap hit is 8.4 million this year and 19.3 million next year.  For the last three years of the deal 2027 to 2029 there is at least a a 60 million cap hit each year with a peak of 71 million, but right now, Herbert cap hit is not putting a ton of pressure on them.

Not to mention that Ekeler had contract beef with them all offseason and the only reason he’s there is because he has no leverage as a RB. They aren’t really paying him, not in a way that fits the point of the post you quoted.

1 minute ago, MrJL said:

The only thing our d does really well is sack the Qb which doesn't  matter when you can dial up a 20 yard play any time they don't  get sacked. And we're  decent at forcing fumbles

We're not even that good at sacking the QB. The numbers are heavily inflated by playing some really bad QBs/OLs.

They routinely and for 3+ years now have failed to show up against quality opposition.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

15 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

We're not even that good at sacking the QB. The numbers are heavily inflated by playing some really bad QBs/OLs.

They routinely and for 3+ years now have failed to show up against quality opposition.

That's  the way stats work.you get a lot against the bad, a little bit against the good and somewhere in between against the average

1 minute ago, MrJL said:

That's  the way stats work.you get a lot against the bad, a little bit against the good and somewhere in between against the average

nah. Superstars make plays against the best. They win games against good teams AND stat pad further against bad teams. We don’t really have that. 

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

2 minutes ago, MrJL said:

The true difference makers put up numbers in the biggest games, the big moments, to actually impact winning games.

Its like in baseball. I don't care if a guy hits .300 doing nothing but hitting singles with 2 outs and nobody on base. Or a guy who hits solo home runs when his team is down 6-0. The guys you want get the big hits with runners in scoring position, etc.

Chase Young will get you two sacks in a game we're down by 20. But a guy like Myles Garrett or TJ Watt will get a strip sack in the 4th quarter to turn a game around or seal a win.

Its all about situational context.

1 minute ago, Conn said:

nah. Superstars make plays against the best. They win games against good teams AND stat pad further against bad teams. We don’t really have that. 

Yep exactly. You also have to look at overall impact on the game. I don't care if you get a random sack in the 2nd quarter. Go get the QB when its the 4th quarter and you're defending a lead. Get a strip sack to turn the momentum around. That kind of thing.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

The true difference makers put up numbers in the biggest games, the big moments, to actually impact winning games.

Its like in baseball. I don't care if a guy hits .300 doing nothing but hitting singles with 2 outs and nobody on base. Or a guy who hits solo home runs when his team is down 6-0. The guys you want get the big hits with runners in scoring position, etc.

Chase Young will get you two sacks in a game we're down by 20. But a guy like Myles Garrett or TJ Watt will get a strip sack in the 4th quarter to turn a game around or seal a win.

Its all about situational context.

Yep exactly. You also have to look at overall impact on the game. I don't care if you get a random sack in the 2nd quarter. Go get the QB when its the 4th quarter and you're defending a lead. Get a strip sack to turn the momentum around. That kind of thing.

Chase is 24 and on the verge of reaching that next level. Him making the 2 sack games now shouldn't be diminished or made his ceiling at 24 as an edge rusher. Talent like Sweat or Young, edge rushers, require significant assets to replace. FA big money or a 1st round pick usually.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, IrepDC said:

Chase is 24 and on the verge of reaching that next level. Him making the 2 sack games now shouldn't be diminished or made his ceiling at 24 as an edge rusher. Talent like Sweat or Young, edge rushers, require significant assets to replace. FA big money or a 1st round pick usually.

You don’t need two guys of that caliber to win in the NFL especially when you have the interior guys we have. Last season showed that

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

Yesterday showed you the difference between players who just racks up stats, and an impact player who shows up in the clutch in addition to racking up stats.  Hasson Reddick and the Eagles D-Line were about as impactful as the Washington D-Line yesterday, but when the Eagles needed a clutch play from one of their players late, Reddick came up with the strip sack and fumble of Howell, while our "highly touted" 1st round picks on the D-Line have failed time and time again to make impact swinging plays.  Payne's strip fumble on Barkley last week might have been the only impactful play the D-Line has made all season in the 4th Q.  Sweat & Young rack up a LOT of nice looking stats, but none have had an impactful, clutch play this season, or in a long time.  Fletcher Cox and Hasson Reddick make big time clutch plays all the time.  I know who I'd rather have with the game on the line.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

56 minutes ago, method man said:

You don’t need two guys of that caliber to win in the NFL especially when you have the interior guys we have. Last season showed that

About those interior guys: Are they really so special? Solid run stoppers, yes, and that's important for sure... but are they giving us any consistent QB pressure at all? 

All the talk is about Young and Sweat not living up to their hype but quite honestly I don't see where Allen and Payne are "elite" or "top tier" in any way. Defensive lines with a lot less fanfare are doing a heck of a lot more damage than ours. I see about one nice quarter or half from Payne every 3rd or 4th game and for all of Jon's "I'm sick of this (blank)," I really never notice how he makes a huge contribution. 

I get that interior linemen do a lot of unrecognized work. I really do. But interior linemen for other teams (especially our opponents) make big splashy plays and sack QBs almost every week. Practically ZILCHO from these two. 

2 minutes ago, Chachie said:

About those interior guys: Are they really so special? Solid run stoppers, yes, and that's important for sure... but are they giving us any consistent QB pressure at all? 

All the talk is about Young and Sweat not living up to their hype but quite honestly I don't see where Allen and Payne are "elite" or "top tier" in any way. Defensive lines with a lot less fanfare are doing a heck of a lot more damage than ours. I see about one nice quarter or half from Payne every 3rd or 4th game and for all of Jon's "I'm sick of this (blank)," I really never notice how he makes a huge contribution. 

I get that interior linemen do a lot of unrecognized work. I really do. But interior linemen for other teams (especially our opponents) make big splashy plays and sack QBs almost every week. Practically ZILCHO from these two. 

Define special. They are definitely better than just solid run stoppers. Neither are Chris Jones level(but nobody is). But they are both fantastic players. Interior DTs in general just aren't as consistently impactful as other positions.

14 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Define special. They are definitely better than just solid run stoppers. Neither are Chris Jones level(but nobody is). But they are both fantastic players. Interior DTs in general just aren't as consistently impactful as other positions.

Absolutely fair reply and what you said is not lost on me. I suppose I just expect more from 2 guys that are supposed to be true cornerstones of our defense. I just feel like we wouldn't be any worse w/o them, because if we'd be "worse" then apparently there's no bottom. 🙂

Been saying for a few years that this DL is overrated by so many fans. As posted none are difference makers, none make the big play at the big time.   I also agree that they pad their pedestrian stats against poor teams and not late in the game when it really matters.  Against good teams they get no pressure what so ever.  

3 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

Random stat I found. I didnt know we had BSJ playing slot.

Danny Johnson has been stellar in slot coverage for Washington since taking over for Benjamin St. Juste, allowing only a 40% catch rate and 61.3 passer rating (per PFF)

He's been stellar (or serviceable, at the very least) his whole career here. And every year they try to replace him...which yields terrible results. 

Edited by CRobi21
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, MrJL said:

The only thing our d does really well is sack the Qb which doesn't  matter when you can dial up a 20 yard play any time they don't  get sacked. And we're  decent at forcing fumbles

2 sacks for -4 yards really impacted game.  Both on 1st downs.  Sack one was followed up with a 20 yard play and sack two was followed up with a 4th and 4 where they got 17 yards.  This team rarely has sacks that are timely or have an impact.

3 hours ago, samy316 said:

the Eagles D-Line were about as impactful as the Washington D-Line yesterday

Wha?

Even in a direct comparison our D line put up more sacks, had nearly a 3 yard differential in YPC in our favor and were playing arguably the best O-line in football while Philly got to play what might be the embodiment on flaming garbage that was coming in w/ 2 new players and no gel time to boot...

They pretty clearly outperformed Philly's line and they had the much harder lift.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2