Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things defense

ThomasRoane

On 10/16/2023 at 11:32 PM, moondog said:

And similar to quan Martin, you take a talented athlete but then try to jam too much into his brain for him to play fast. Maybe they felt with all the talent at safety it was ok to overload him and bring him in slowly. My feelings just differ in that you could have given him one thing (buffalo nickel) and let him master it so he can play fast and then pick up more as he goes. Instead they threw the kitchen sink at him so he’s not good enough at anything (by their estimation) to play cuz he has to think too much. I just don’t like that philosophy with their young players. 

I think that's exactly what team management was thinking.  Pick Quan with the idea of developing him over the next year or two.  It's a good idea if Quan was a 6th round pick but not as a second-round pick.  Most fans don't like the build of the team; play-calling considering the player abilities; draft pick selection etc.  I'm ready for the new ownership to clean house and bring in a true GM. On the bright side, I like Howell.      

• Like 7

Using a 2nd to draft a DT3 was dumb

Using a 2nd to draft a DB3 was dumb

Using a 2nd to draft a RT is great, even if he slides to RG to play.

Using the 5th pick to take a RT is dumb, made worse by him needing to play RG to get on the field.

Drafting developmental players in the 1rst is also bad management of resources.

I'm also not a fan of throwing developmental players in the deep end to start their careers.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 5
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

All the players that have been here in JDRs tenure must have little respect for his start of season scheme, and thus by extension him. They suck it up but we did hear of players freelancing in years past which is evidence of thinking a scheme sucks. FU coach I know better how to use my talents.

Sure the adjustments he made last week were small in the grand scheme of things, but did he religiously practice his week 1-5 defense ALL summer, so guys NOW are learning new stuff? Sure defense is easy (easier than offense) but was his week 6 pressure MOAR 5 man defense practiced extensively in camp? We assume sure all this stuff was drilled but regardless, the defense saw itself fall on its face to start the season, again. Again. Yet again. It took 6 weeks to adjust. To make simple NFL101 defensive adjustments.

I am thinking more and more JDR is sandbagging on purpose to start years testing out can his vanilla scheme hang vs modern day OCs. No deception. No showing of a heavy blitz and backing off. See if an NFL QB can beat his static base D. And it predictably failed miserably. I get it, its a long season and coaches dont want to show their hands too soon but something about his basic approach seems very very flawed. Give me a dynamic D all day and Sundays and do his preferred D for 1 week randomly a couple times a year. His preferred D works best after a week of heavy pressure across the LOS; make an OC practice the wrong **** all week. First half of the game only. 2nd half, change it up.

His defense needs to lead us to wins/1st place in the next month to prove his sandbag method worked.

This defense is built to destruct offenses yet it was on its heels in damage control mode pretty much every week.  Having to bench your 1st round corner is a really really bad look and there is simply NO sugar coating it. It's on him.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Using a 2nd to draft a DT3 was dumb

Using a 2nd to draft a DB3 was dumb

Using a 2nd to draft a RT is great, even if he slides to RG to play.

Using the 5th pick to take a RT is dumb, made worse by him needing to play RG to get on the field.

Drafting developmental players in the 1rst is also bad management of resources.

I'm also not a fan of throwing developmental players in the deep end to start their careers.

Scherff was not a dumb pick at all.  Go back and look at that draft.  Scherff ended up being the best player picked by a mile where we were at and he's still a good player to this day.  The Jets traded Williams rather than paying him (that tells you something).  Gurley was an elite player, but his injury issues caused him to be out of the league really quickly after extended with the Rams.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Scherff was not a dumb pick at all.  Go back and look at that draft.  Scherff ended up being the best player picked by a mile where we were at and he's still a good player to this day.  The Jets traded Williams rather than paying him (that tells you something).  Gurley was an elite player, but his injury issues caused him to be out of the league really quickly after extended with the Rams.

Draft was ****, but if we didn't luck into Moses, we'd be singing a different tune about Scherff.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Draft was ****, but if we didn't luck into Moses, we'd be singing a different tune about Scherff.

Respectfully disagree.  Coaching staff knew after one day of practice that Brandon wasn't a RT.  He would have been a guard regardless if we had Moses or not.  He still turned out to be the best pick at that slot.

Heck, you can make a legit argument that he was the best first rounder out of anyone that year.  The players ahead of him where the top two QBs who busted.  Fowler has been a journeyman.  Cooper has been a good WR for sure, but not elite.  Scherff ended up being a great pick in a pretty poor 1st round class.

The best players in that class ended up being Frank Clark (3), Hunter (3), and Diggs (5).  

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

IIRC Scherff failed at tackle after just one practice  let's kick him inside. Arms shrink after the combine? And don't draftniks say its dumb to draft a guard that early...

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 3
  • Thumb up 2

8 minutes ago, MrJL said:

Moses came first and RG was a bigger weakness than RT previously

That’s revisionist though, Moses hadn’t developed his rookie year and stunk out loud (believe he also had some injury issues early on before becoming an iron man). It was fully thought that he was basically a bust and a reach. Scherff was 100% thought to be necessary at RT until we got him into practice and he wasn’t a fit for it—Moses playing next to him worked grand though, so it worked out. Maybe Scherff gets some credit for helping make Moses the player he could be by shoring up that OG spot next to him so well, but he was absolutely supposed to plant Moses on the bench at RT when he was drafted. Saying otherwise is either misremembering the situation at the time, or rewriting history. 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

It's highly unlikely we trade anybody because the gm is on the hot seat, he's not going to be trading away his chance to make the playoffs so that the next regime has more to work with.

Only way it happens is if the wheels fall off and we fire Rivera and the Marty's before the trade deadline but I don't see that happening. 

• Thumb up 1

"Their strength is the D-line" 

Meanwhile our D-line, most importantly our DEs, just do not make much of an impact on games. Dont really see the need to keep both since its not like our DL dominates. I would prefer keeping Young, Sweat has had many full seasons and just hasnt stepped up. Maybe part of that is JDR, but Id prefer to keep Chase and see what happens.

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

Was listening to some of Logan preview for the game, he thinks Lawrence is so dominatng that he's the best player in the East, better than even Parsons, high praise.  Like us their lynchpin is the interior D line.  The defense still isn't good.

https://nypost.com/new-york-giants/

The full weight of the Giants’ season could be resting on the broad shoulders of Leonard Williams and Dexter Lawrence.

Facing a Commanders offensive line that has allowed an NFL-worst 34 sacks is a script drawn up favorably for the two highest-paid players on the Giants’ defense to justify their contracts.

If Williams and Lawrence really are the core of the league’s best interior defensive line — as ESPN’s rankings declared before the season — time is running out for the Giants (1-5) to prove it.

“We know that the team goes as we go, the defense goes as we go,” Lawrence told The Post. “It’s always on us. It’s no pressure because it’s something that we take honor to.”

Williams, who is on the final year of a three-year, $63 million contract, has more on the line than Lawrence, who is signed for $98.25 million through 2027, considering that he could be traded as a half-season rental by month’s end if things do not turn around.

...“This is definitely a game we are looking forward to,” Williams said. “A lot of teams we’ve played so far have been getting the ball out fast and trying to eliminate me and Dex from affecting their offense. This is one of those teams — we’re in Week 7 now — and we’re finally able to do something against a team. We have been studying our a– off.”

Lawrence (21 pressures, five quarterback hits, zero sacks) is Pro Football Focus’ fourth-highest graded pass-rushing defensive tackle and Williams (13 pressures, three quarterback hits, 0.5 sack) is No. 14.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Pretty wacky especially because as I understand he's physically ready to come back but they don't have a spot for him right now on the roster

I found it wacky when his name was announced on draft day.

So many other need positions that could have filled instead of this luxury selection. There were numerous good DB's, LB's and OL available along with of course tons of talented WR, but we used our 1st rounder on a WR.

We haven't been able to afford luxury picks in years! 

Right now he is on my biggest bust list, he best find himself on the field and producing.

Edited by DWinzit
  • Like 1

On 10/20/2023 at 4:23 PM, MisterPinstripe said:

"Their strength is the D-line" 

Meanwhile our D-line, most importantly our DEs, just do not make much of an impact on games. Dont really see the need to keep both since its not like our DL dominates. I would prefer keeping Young, Sweat has had many full seasons and just hasnt stepped up. Maybe part of that is JDR, but Id prefer to keep Chase and see what happens.

In Sweat's defense, he does lead our team in sacks ( 4.5 ), QB hits ( 9 ), and tackles for loss ( 6 ) so he is having a good year thus far. I understand that overall season by season, he's underachieved a bit though.

Edited by AlwaysBeRedskins2Me
  • Like 1