Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things defense

ThomasRoane

3 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

Well I would say that hopefully their issues in 2021 were more something that is correctable versus lack of talent.   We've seen a lot of players come through this roster that didn't work out here for whatever reason and then go to other teams and put into roles that compliment their talent and skillset better and suddenly their stats and impact improve.  I'd say for a guy like Chase Young, the talent is there, but after his rookie season and all the accolades that came with it, he might have got it in his head that the "work" was over and he went into 2021 on cruise control.   I am hopeful that can be corrected.

I just get the sense that he feels wronged and won't really learn the lesson. 

I and that premonition feeling a few times this offseason hearing he wasn't at OTAs and talking about working on his toe flexibility as his focus.

It really should have been learning football in hindsight, like Jamin Davis in that respect. Clearly the understanding of his position is behind others. He hasn't watched the tape. The play-by-play, talking heads and former players all talked about it.  I just don't know that he'll take the criticism like Terry did (hands) and prove everyone wrong right away.  

I still believe in Young. The talent is there and everyone recognizes it. He'll work on his game and get better. But I'm not sure he'll be that generational game wrecker. He'll probably cap out at a 10+ sack a year guy who's really good against the run. Think a better Ryan Kerrigan.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I still believe in Young. The talent is there and everyone recognizes it. He'll work on his game and get better. But I'm not sure he'll be that generational game wrecker. He'll probably cap out at a 10+ sack a year guy who's really good against the run. Think a better Ryan Kerrigan.

Still holding out hope. He was a game wrecker at times for solid periods as a rookie. He was the key catalyst to the team making a late run in year 1 of his career.  

6 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Chase Young sucks at using his hands... It's like watching Orakpo all over again.

Too much draft capital spent on the Dline for not enough production. Before 2015 when we rarely invested in the front 4 I was all about going for high end Dline because a good front could help a bad secondary. I had to eat those words burnt and underdone too many times. We gotta move at least one of them and get better elsewhere. We need linebackers and some corners, I don't have St.Juste in our long term plans cause I'm too worried about his health. Too many concussions his rookie year. If he's forced into early retirement, I'm fine with it. More to life than the NFL..  Safety as well. I'm fine with a combination of Ioannidis, Allen, Young and say Smith Williams/ Toney. If you move both Payne and Sweat you can get a kings ransom.

• Like 1

Seeing lots of trade Payne/Sweat... 

Not that I disagree; especially if we're talking QB, but trading away players when their value is low isn't the best strategy. (generally you want the opposite) 

We could resign these guys for way cheaper or extend their 5th season where they'll be playing on contract years. 

Just a thought. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Well, if he becomes a better Ryan Kerrigan then he'll have a pretty long and good career in Washington. I just hope we start moving him around more putting him up against opponents weakest linemen whether that's inside or outside. Move all four of them around and get some LB's with speed. That should make Chase a more dominant player.

20 hours ago, wit33 said:

Still holding out hope. He was a game wrecker at times for solid periods as a rookie. He was the key catalyst to the team making a late run in year 1 of his career.  

Here's hoping Chase saw what Micah Parsons did this season and realizes he needs to step up to match him. Can you imagine our games with Dallas if Chase becomes what Parsons is for Dallas? People will be tuning in all over the country to watch those games.

On 1/13/2022 at 5:03 PM, kingdaddy said:

Well, if he becomes a better Ryan Kerrigan then he'll have a pretty long and good career in Washington. I just hope we start moving him around more putting him up against opponents weakest linemen whether that's inside or outside. Move all four of them around and get some LB's with speed. That should make Chase a more dominant player.

Here's hoping Chase saw what Micah Parsons did this season and realizes he needs to step up to match him. Can you imagine our games with Dallas if Chase becomes what Parsons is for Dallas? People will be tuning in all over the country to watch those games.

We drafted Young as a DE so we will never ask him to be that

1 minute ago, ultravin said:

if you're gonna trade both sweat and payne for picks, then they better get another end rusher to complement Young!

There will be some solid DEs in free agency - Charles Harris, Fowler, Muhammad, Dorance Armstrong, etc. These are guys who are not Pro Bowlers but solid starter types that will get you 6-8 sacks a season. Ogbah will get franchised and will be too expensive

• Like 1

I think it's implied that the DL will be used to boost the trade package for a QB. That's the only area of depth the team has...

Rivera can't be talking about any other position group, cause you aren't trading the valuable lineman. 

I think it really just depends on the Texans. There will be a couple of suitors and I'm not happy this team will probably be leading the way. Whatever...

1 hour ago, carex said:

We drafted Young as a DE so we will never ask him to be that

Someone on this site told me that they have moved Chase Young around but I can't remember seeing it. I think "never" is a strong word to use just because he was drafted as a DE. Collins was signed as a safety and he played LB this year. Coaches will move guys if they're better served in other ways or underperforming in their said position. It happens all the time. Logan Thomas has carried the ball and thrown passes because he's able to do it. If Chase can play inside based on a mismatch then why not try it at different points during a game?

If I'm JDR I'm absolutely studying how the NYG used LT and how Dallas uses Parsons and seeing if that can be something we do with Chase Young. We have serious depth at D-line so lets move these guys around based on mismatches and mix up our looks. The difficulty of playing against a player like LT was not knowing where he was going to line up....you always had to account for him.

27 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

If I'm JDR I'm absolutely studying how the NYG used LT and how Dallas uses Parsons and seeing if that can be something we do with Chase Young. We have serious depth at D-line so lets move these guys around based on mismatches and mix up our looks. The difficulty of playing against a player like LT was not knowing where he was going to line up....you always had to account for him.

Wait a second, i need to get this straight;

you are using JDR AND studying in the same sentence? 

Afterall, this IS DelTaco we're talking about here, the same guy who can't match his socks much less game plan.

5 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

Wait a second, i need to get this straight;

you are using JDR AND studying in the same sentence? 

Afterall, this IS DelTaco we're talking about here, the same guy who can't match his socks much less game plan.

good point....maybe its time for a new d-coordinator? Get Singletary in here....

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

lolol Singletary stinks. Del Rio is much better. 

Rivera and Del Rio are tight. These friends aren’t kicking friends to the curb. Del Rio is here as long as Rivera is, unless DR decides otherwise. Just gotta get used to that idea…

4 hours ago, FuriousD said:

Rivera and Del Rio are tight. These friends aren’t kicking friends to the curb. Del Rio is here as long as Rivera is, unless DR decides otherwise. Just gotta get used to that idea…

There aren't many consistently great coordinators. 

I hardly blame Del Rio either. Clear over the last two years that it has been personnel that has been the biggest issue. Specifically when Collins was injured in Curl's rookie year, or before he move to LB this year. Bostic another example.  The D instantly improved with personnel changes.

They need another LB and another CB. Let's see how next year goes.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2022 at 6:31 PM, kingdaddy said:

Someone on this site told me that they have moved Chase Young around but I can't remember seeing it. I think "never" is a strong word to use just because he was drafted as a DE.

They've moved him around the line

• Thumb up 1

On 1/14/2022 at 9:40 PM, Warhead36 said:

lolol Singletary stinks. Del Rio is much better. 

Better at what? 

I hope that RR isn't personally vested in DelTaco, because that will be his demise. 

I get the whole ' we need better players ' talk, but DelTaco is only as good as the players skillset; his ability to scheme, teach or 'coach' is not his M.O.

Hec he wasn't even in the NFL when he was brought here, that should be fairly easy to figure out, especially if he was a good DC he wouldn't have been without a job.

Thats why I hate this Verizon " Family & friends " policy that is so welcomed in this organization.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, skins island connection said:

Better at what? 

I hope that RR isn't personally vested in DelTaco, because that will be his demise. 

I get the whole ' we need better players ' talk, but DelTaco is only as good as the players skillset; his ability to scheme, teach or 'coach' is not his M.O.

Hec he wasn't even in the NFL when he was brought here, that should be fairly easy to figure out, especially if he was a good DC he wouldn't have been without a job.

Thats why I hate this Verizon " Family & friends " policy that is so welcomed in this organization.

I could be wrong here, but I’m not sure I’d put too much into the “out of work” aspect.  Timing, coming off the stress of a HC position, taking time to refresh (made possible by the fact that a lot of these coaches have a boatload of money), and wanting to find a staff/team/position that suits - lots of reasons/factors to being out of coaching for a time.  To be clear, I’m not arguing DelRio was in necessarily in high demand or doesn’t deserve flack…

On 1/15/2022 at 6:05 AM, Silvernon said:

There aren't many consistently great coordinators. 

I hardly blame Del Rio either. Clear over the last two years that it has been personnel that has been the biggest issue. Specifically when Collins was injured in Curl's rookie year, or before he move to LB this year. Bostic another example.  The D instantly improved with personnel changes.

They need another LB and another CB. Let's see how next year goes.

I take a very different view on this:

He should have known from day 1 Collins couldn’t play safety and needed to play in the box, Kurl was his best safety, and what WJIII could and couldn’t do.

And it too 8 weeks and a Bostic injury to get him to make changes a novice knew before the season started.

I think he was being stubborn.  Which is fine to an extent, but he didn’t maximize the talent he had, and that’s a huge indictment of him.

I would have upgraded to fangio immediately.  But absent that kind of an upgrade, Del Rio is ok.  He’s the best DC we’ve had here since Gregg Williams and it’s not remotely close.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2022 at 5:31 PM, Silvernon said:

I think it's implied that the DL will be used to boost the trade package for a QB. That's the only area of depth the team has...

Rivera can't be talking about any other position group, cause you aren't trading the valuable lineman. 

I think it really just depends on the Texans. There will be a couple of suitors and I'm not happy this team will probably be leading the way. Whatever...

I feel like William Jackson might be valuable to someone who plays a closer D to what the Bengals play.  He came on a bit for us later in the year, but then he missed time.  I can see him as a piece of something

Just now, MrJL said:

I feel like William Jackson might be valuable to someone who plays a closer D to what the Bengals play.  He came on a bit for us later in the year, but then he missed time.  I can see him as a piece of something

I'm pretty sure trading him would crush our cap since we just signed him to a contract a year ago. 

The best trade pieces are Payne and Sweat.