Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things defense

ThomasRoane

1 hour ago, Wildbunny said:

I liked what Casey Toohill did too. Guy got his name brought up on two tackles where he was doing some coverage.

As much as Chase's injury sucks, it's good to see backups come out and play like Offspring.

Also like Fuller, had another good game to me, except on that Evans' TD, but well I would think it's acceptable to be beat by Brady/Evans once a game.

That Evans TD was on Curl more than Fuller. Brady caught him creeping and that is gonna happen.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BraveWarrior said:

I feel the same about this. That "making money" comment has just completely soured me on him, just the way it has for many other players like him. 

In addition to our organization being an inextinguishable dumpster fire since Snyder took over, the attitudes of the players throughout the league has really made my overall interest in the NFL wane. Instead of playing for the love of the game, having loyalty to their team, and feeling like every other team is the enemy, they now worry more about their brand, and think about themselves as a brotherhood, rather than opponents. Win or lose, they're all smiling after the game, trading jerseys with each other, and thinking about those game checks getting depositing into their accounts. There are no more Jack Lamberts, Lyle Alzados, etc. The league's rivalries are alive in the standings columns still, but does anyone really get more excited for Washington-Dallas week or Raiders-Chiefs week any more than other games on the schedule? No, because we don't anticipate seeing a violent confrontation between teams that hate each other anymore.

I hear you loud and clear and generally agree, but at the end of the day football is still just a game.  Times have changed.  The game itself is a temporary getaway from real life for everyone.  Trust me when I say I hate the Cowboys.  But I don't hate them individually.  There is entirely too much real hate and divisiveness in this country already.  So I wish nothing but success for each individual player and their families. 

Because when the game ends, it's back to reality.  These athletes have a short window to live out their dreams of making millions to play the game most of them love.  I think most know how fortunate they are and what it takes to continue to play at a high level to remain in the NFL.  Win, lose, or draw having millions in the bank has to bring a great feeling of financial security and it's a comforting salve when they lose.  So more power to all of them.

Apparently, Michael Jordan was real friendly with opposing players before he played them.  Then he would ruthlessly dismember them during the game.  Some people have a real on-off switch and know how to compartmentalize.  No matter the mindset of these players, some team will walk away with the Lombardi.  I just want it to be the WFT sooner rather than later.

1 minute ago, method man said:

This may be taboo here but, with Sweat’s and Young’s injuries, the D should consider playing more 3-4 to get more of its best talent (Io and Settle) on to the field. Toohill looks like an all around player and I believe Toney was a 3-4 OLB at Penn State

You think a coach that has a long career of being a 43 guy should just switch to a 34 and reteach everyone this week?

• Haha 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

I liked what Casey Toohill did too. Guy got his name brought up on two tackles where he was doing some coverage.

As much as Chase's injury sucks, it's good to see backups come out and play like Offspring.

Had Shaka Toney and Rotimi from the PS out there in the nd half. 

Rotimi is an XFL guy and was matched up against Tristan Wirfs for most of his snaps. Tough sledding, looked like he did a good job. 

12 hours ago, method man said:

This may be taboo here but, with Sweat’s and Young’s injuries, the D should consider playing more 3-4 to get more of its best talent (Io and Settle) on to the field. Toohill looks like an all around player and I believe Toney was a 3-4 OLB at Penn State

Base 34 or or 43 packages are very rare now.  Most teams spend the majority of the game in a 4-2-5.  The difference being 3 safeties (buffalo nickel) or 2 safeties.  They need some depth but Toohill and SmithWilliams are going to be fine.  

4 minutes ago, ThomasRoane said:

Base 34 or or 43 packages are very rare now.  Most teams spend the majority of the game in a 4-2-5.  The difference being 3 safeties (buffalo nickel) or 2 safeties.  They need some depth but Toohill and SmithWilliams are going to be fine.  

I agree, as long as they stay in their lanes on the pass rush and play with discipline. Everyone steps up. No one should know Cam and McCaffery better than RR and staff.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

You think a coach that has a long career of being a 43 guy should just switch to a 34 and reteach everyone this week?

No. I’m just saying it is not impossible to implement 1 or 2 3-4 packages to us here and there. The 5-2-4 alignment was stupid

• Like 1

On 11/14/2021 at 5:35 PM, Warhead36 said:

ok boomer

I'm not old enough to be in the boomer generation, but I feel sorry for you if you're too young to remember how the game was in the '70s - '90s. The '80s in particular were the golden age of the NFL, especially for Redskins fans. We had a star defensive end in the '80s (Dexter Manley) who would go completely nuts during Dallas week, in practice, in the media, and on the field on Sunday. Now we have a supposed star defensive end who talks about making money, not with his performance - because he seriously underperformed this season - but doing commercials. Today's pro athletes just have a different mindset and different priorities. I don't begrudge them their success; I just miss the way the game was.    

• Like 9
  • Thumb up 1

9 hours ago, BraveWarrior said:

I'm not old enough to be in the boomer generation, but I feel sorry for you if you're too young to remember how the game was in the '70s - '90s. The '80s in particular were the golden age of the NFL, especially for Redskins fans. We had a star defensive end in the '80s (Dexter Manley) who would go completely nuts during Dallas week, in practice, in the media, and on the field on Sunday. Now we have a supposed star defensive end who talks about making money, not with his performance - because he seriously underperformed this season - but doing commercials. Today's pro athletes just have a different mindset and different priorities. I don't begrudge them their success; I just miss the way the game was.    

Man, me too. The 80s NFL was just incredible. If it wasn't so good, I'm not sure I'd be watching today.

9 hours ago, method man said:

No. I’m just saying it is not impossible to implement 1 or 2 3-4 packages to us here and there. The 5-2-4 alignment was stupid

We don't have the oversized 34 OLB to really run that. Toney I guess, but we used him as a stand up end anyway, so its not that different. 

I think we'll see increased snaps from Ioannidis and Allen at End some more now though, so while I wouldn't call it a 34, it'll be similar. 

Our 3 LBers, all of them actually are way undersized to be directly be taking on guards though, which is part of a true 34.

• Like 1

So RR said they blitzed more after Young (and Sweat) went out against the GOAT. And IT WORKED! Soooo..what kind of pressure do you thing WFT could generate if they "Blitzed" more WITH Young/Sweat. Yea..it *may* expose your secondary..but the QB would be running for their lives IMHO and would create mistakes. We are LAST in 3rd down stops..what did we have to loose??? I really think the coaches over thought their game plans (dropping Young into coverage). I am willing to bet this "new" approach (without Y/S) will be more effective than the old approach just rushing the original 4 DL.

I think we missed a great opportunity to be real destructive the 1st half of this season.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, method man said:

These already exist. There is no defense that plays thier base 100% of the time. But others are also right that you can't just change your base overnight. They take different type athletes. For certain looks we line up in a 3-4 type configuration but the assignments can look different than a 3-4 base.

As for the 5-2-4, this is a pretty standard set in most of the NFL. This not jsut a Washington thing. In the end, its not the configuration that the problems. It's the players execution. All the different configurations present some positives but there are also always trade offs. 

4 hours ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

So RR said they blitzed more after Young (and Sweat) went out against the GOAT. And IT WORKED! Soooo..what kind of pressure do you thing WFT could generate if they "Blitzed" more WITH Young/Sweat. Yea..it *may* expose your secondary..but the QB would be running for their lives IMHO and would create mistakes. We are LAST in 3rd down stops..what did we have to loose??? I really think the coaches over thought their game plans (dropping Young into coverage). I am willing to bet this "new" approach (without Y/S) will be more effective than the old approach just rushing the original 4 DL.

I think we missed a great opportunity to be real destructive the 1st half of this season.

Wasn't our blitz % pretty high though? The fact is Sweat and Young weren't winning 1 on 1 matchups all that often to begin with blitzing or no blitzing.

13 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Wasn't our blitz % pretty high though? The fact is Sweat and Young weren't winning 1 on 1 matchups all that often to begin with blitzing or no blitzing.

We were top 3 in blitz % going into the game, which stinks, because you don't want to have to blitz. Especially with our investment in the front 4.

On 11/15/2021 at 8:12 PM, BraveWarrior said:

Him and Charles Mann. Mann was basically our everything on the line, could play the run, get sacks almost when he needed too and did it for several years. Hell I could throw in guys like Jumpy Geathers and Fred Stokes as well.. I mean when those defenses could pin their ears back and unleash hell they would always get the QB. I know todays game is different but it sucks seeing teams like NE and Dallas who overhauled their defenses this offseason and are having crazy success, and we've been investing heavy draft capital in this D and I feel it should be better than where we're at. And if it gets better with both Chase and Sweat out. Serious questions should be asked..

Edited by Playaction2Sanders

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Ugh, I just read that another DE backup, Toney is OUT for Sunday.

It's going to look a lot like Preseason, and may even see Bunmi Rotimi in some rotations.

And to think we had an abundance of Defensive Linemen… we had a 

plethora of viable edges.

• Like 1