Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Attendance

SkinsFan_07

18 hours ago, hail2skins said:

The walking away probably started during Zorn's brief tenure. If Snyder hadn't been able to lure Gibbs back, it may well have started earlier.

Yeah I thing Gibbs II and the 2012 season with RG3 kept the heartbeat going, but I think it’s also a generational thing. Back even in the Zorn and Shanny years, people in their mid 20s and early 30s could still remember the Super Bowl years. At this point though, the 20s and mid 30s demographic doesn’t have the good years of Gibbs I as an anchor in our memories, so I think we’re way less likely to spend our hard earned money and free weekend time on a team that has only given us disappointment. Snyder is literally letting the fanbase die out. 

Edit: Heck, people in their early 20s now would barely remember Gibbs II. 

Edited by RansomthePasserby

• 2 weeks later...

I just read through this thread and I see a lot of comments about how we are fairweather.  Have we become a bad fanbase?  We use to be the absolute best in terms of both passion and class.  Now look at us.  We make Philthy fans look good because they at least show up.

Edited by hatchetwound

17 minutes ago, hatchetwound said:

I just read through this thread and I see a lot of comments about how we are fairweather.  Have we become a bad fanbase?  We use to be the absolute best in terms of both passion and class.  Now look at us.  We make Philthy fans look good because they at least show up.

Winning cures everything. If the Eagles had the same 30 year stretch they would be going through the same thing. 

Just now, hatchetwound said:

They had a 50 year stretch with no superbowls for peter sake!!!!

You know they have been the best team in the NFC East for the last 20 years. Yeah it took them a long time to win one but they've almost always been competitive and won more NFC east titles than the rest. 

Since 2001 they have finished FIRST 9 times and we have finished LAST 9 times. 

Edited by Florgon79
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Florgon79 said:

You know they have been the best team in the NFC East for the last 20 years. Yeah it took them a long time to win one but they've almost always been competitive and won more NFC east titles than the rest. 

Since 2001 they have finished FIRST 9 times and we have finished LAST 9 times. 

I'm not sure McNabb puking all over himself was competitive lol

Dallas finishes first a lot too, but come play off time no one can call them competitive.  Suck is suck

9 minutes ago, hatchetwound said:

I'm not sure McNabb puking all over himself was competitive lol

Dallas finishes first a lot too, but come play off time no one can call them competitive.  Suck is suck

I don't know what to tell you then. We're obviously the worst team in the NFC east in the last 20 plus years. It obviously has a lot to do with fans attending games. The Eagles in that time span have been far superior. This isn't rocket science. 

Good = fans in seats

Bad = fans stay home

2 hours ago, hatchetwound said:

There is no fanbase in existence - in any sport - that could remain robust if submitted to the on (and much more importantly) off-field horrors this fanbase has had to witness.  There is simply no comparison of any professional sports franchise to this one in terms of the repeated horrors.   

This fanbase has never been fair-weather.  It still isn't.  But you can only beat an animal repeatedly so many times before it changes its view of you.  This is a smart fanbase with as much or more passion than any in sports.  And it has pride.  The overwhelming majority of us won't simply sit here, take a never-ending series of lashings and say, "Thank you, Dan.  Can I have another?".  We have pride.

The erosion of the fanbase is Dan's legacy.  It's one of the most incredible accomplishments in sports - and it's unparalleled.  

I hope no one shows up to the name party, 'cause they're going to blow the name.  We all know it.

I hope no one shows up to the stadium - current or new - until we're given a legit reason to care again.  Sadly, I think it's impossible under a Snyder ownership regime.

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, Redwards said:

There is no fanbase in existence - in any sport - that could remain robust if submitted to the on (and much more importantly) off-field horrors this fanbase has had to witness.  There is simply no comparison of any professional sports franchise to this one in terms of the repeated horrors.   

This fanbase has never been fair-weather.  It still isn't.  But you can only beat an animal repeatedly so many times before it changes its view of you.  This is a smart fanbase with as much or more passion than any in sports.  And it has pride.  The overwhelming majority of us won't simply sit here, take a never-ending series of lashings and say, "Thank you, Dan.  Can I have another?".  We have pride.

The erosion of the fanbase is Dan's legacy.  It's one of the most incredible accomplishments in sports - and it's unparalleled.  

Yeah, it's definitely a matter of debate as to if Pittsburgh or Phillys fanbase would still be there if they had to endure what we've had to, particularly today and not before the 70s when the league got really popular.

I will probably disagree on how smart this fanbase is. Been to a ton of games and have heard some pretty stupid stuff uttered in regard to the game.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hatchetwound said:

Our fairweather fans left years ago. All we have left are us idiot die hards who have experienced 30 years of mediocrity and down-right suck.

"Born down in a dead man's town The first kick I took was when I hit the ground You end up like a dog that's been beat too much Till you spend half your life just covering up" has a different meaning.

Edited by Darth Tater
  • Like 3
  • Thumb up 2

• 6 months later...

Chris Russell tweeted that the announced paid attendance of today's preseason game was 44.855.

For people who regularly went to the games last season, do you think this is accurate?  Last season the crowds (excepting the Dallas game) were placed in the low 50s, for reference.

I watched on TV, and truth be told, the club level looked about as full for this game as it did on TV for a lot of the regular season games last season, so that's something.

I think attendance should improve somewhat over last year, if anything due to the better deals they have given to entice people to purchase club seats. But I hope they don't change the way they reported attendance from last year. When Snyder boasts that he anticipates "big attendance, " it makes me curious as to what he means.

1 hour ago, hail2skins said:

Chris Russell tweeted that the announced paid attendance of today's preseason game was 44.855.

For people who regularly went to the games last season, do you think this is accurate?  Last season the crowds (excepting the Dallas game) were placed in the low 50s, for reference.

I watched on TV, and truth be told, the club level looked about as full for this game as it did on TV for a lot of the regular season games last season, so that's something.

I think attendance should improve somewhat over last year, if anything due to the better deals they have given to entice people to purchase club seats. But I hope they don't change the way they reported attendance from last year. When Snyder boasts that he anticipates "big attendance, " it makes me curious as to what he means.

There was a tweet from Keim yesterday that Jason said the team had sold more tickets already this year than all of last year. Keim said large part of that was new season ticket sales. I expect club to be apart of that based on the deal with club now. Only better value for me is the new table tops they have 

Edited by Mrshadow008

2 hours ago, hail2skins said:

No.   At least in terms of the actual attendance.

I'm guessing that his #'s were based on the # of ticket-holders who downloaded tickets.

The actual crowd looked to be less.     

2 hours ago, hail2skins said:

A big problem last year was FedEx being basically taken over by away fans....will be interesting to see how that plays out once we get to regular season games.

33 minutes ago, formerly4skins said:

A big problem last year was FedEx being basically taken over by away fans....will be interesting to see how that plays out once we get to regular season games.

I don’t expect that to change at all.  Our home schedule is “light” this year.  The only big name teams visiting Fed-Ex besides the NFCE teams are the Packers & Vikings.  I expect there will be tons of visiting fans for the GB & MIN games, but the stadium will be half full at best for the other home games against teams like JAX, TEN, ATL, & CLE.  We’re probably going to be last in attendance unless this team gets off to a hot start.

Edited by samy316
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

On 1/26/2022 at 10:48 AM, hatchetwound said:

Heck, more Philly fans show up at FedEx than Commanders fans. There is a reason for the apathy though and it all starts with Snyder.

We will be dead last in attendance this year. We are in desperate need for a new stadium for starters. Our stadium is easily the worst in the league.

Then we talk about the management issues and poor play of team over last 10 years. You know people will not come. I still am a season ticket holder because of where my seats are but I could understand why people do not want to go anymore. With the market we are in we should be top ten in attendance.

Edited by Redskins 2021
  • Like 3

Just now, Redskins 2021 said:

We will be dead last in attendance this year. We are in desperate need for a new stadium for starters. Our stadium is easily the worst in the league.

Then we talk about the management issues and poor play of team over last 10 years. You know people will not come. I still am a season ticket holder because of where my seats are but O could understand why people do not want to go anymore. With the market we are in we should be top ten in attendance.

Maybe, we were second to last in 2021 behind the Lions. Not sure what they did to improve but we likely will be in a fight with them for last again. They at least have a much better stadium than us.

6 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

No.   At least in terms of the actual attendance.

I'm guessing that his #'s were based on the # of ticket-holders who downloaded tickets.

The actual crowd looked to be less.     

Agreed, the third ring of the stadium looked like a ghost town against the panthers.

As long as Dan owns the team, the team will have attendance issues.  Part of that will be due to the team's performance but there will be a part due to people not wanting to give Snyder a damn dime, regardless of the team's performance. 

Attendance this year will be like it is every year.  The only way you will see more attendance by Commies fans is if we get off to a 8-4 or better start; then you will probably see more fans down the stretch. 

22 hours ago, CobraCommander said:

Probably season ticket holders right? You have to buy all of them including pre-season. 

Probably.

Even though we are compelled to buy the entire season, you only have to download them if you intend to use them.  I'm guessing that they based the attendance on the # of tickets that were actually downloaded.