Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Attendance

SkinsFan_07

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

It's been nearly three years since we changed the name from the Redskins...three...years...

They coulda got him a WFT jersey instead...or even a Redskins jersey with someone, ANYONE, besides Cousins on the back after he won the championship in 2018.

The Nationals even got John Wall a baseball jersey, and i love him to death but he didn't win anything here...this is a bigger picture issue in terms of how the other DC teams go further to support the Commanders then the Commanders do any of them, not a "he jus got back" nonsense excuse...

Who the flying **** cares how long it’s been since the name changed? How do you know ovechkin even wanted a “football team” or commanders jersey? Hmm? Please, do explain how you know this, because it sure seems like you’re assuming he wanted one in the first place. 

him just getting back to the states is 100% a logical explanation as to how there wouldn’t be much time to get him one. 

also, how do you know they didn’t get him one after he walked into the stadium? For all we know, they very well might have. But by all means, let’s not even give that possible explanation even a second of thought, right? 🙄 

imagine not even being open to the possibility that he just might not want to wear a commanders jersey. Most of our fans don’t even want to wear one, it isn’t at all illogical to think he doesn’t want one either🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by Cooleyfan1993
  • Thumb down 2

Jesus @Cooleyfan1993 local stars dont ask for a custom jersey from another local team, it's given to them out of respect.

Are you trying to imply that he was offered one and he declined?

And trust me, if our front office flew in to try to correct that on the fly Sunday, there'd be jus as much noise on social media about it as there is the embarrassment of seeing him come in with that jersey in the first place.  Crickets instead from Wright or anyone else.

Caps won the Stanley Cup almost 4 years ago now, for it not to come out publicly that we even tried is more an indication that we didn't then anything else, thats not an assumption, that's deductive reasoning.  Jus own it and correct it, stop making excuses for this multi-billion dollar can't get right franchise, I love them, but it is what is.

• Like 1

I’m implying that it’s a logical possibility that he was offered one and declined. I’m not implying it’s 100% what happened. There’s a difference. If you can’t separate the two, that’s not my problem. 

im also implying that it’s a possibility that he didn’t decide to come to the game until Sunday morning, and then was given a free customized jersey after entering the stadium. 

both of these are equally as likely as the team just dropping the ball on this and doing nothing. 

15 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I’m implying that it’s a logical possibility that he was offered one and declined. I’m not implying it’s 100% what happened. There’s a difference. If you can’t separate the two, that’s not my problem. 

im also implying that it’s a possibility that he didn’t decide to come to the game until Sunday morning, and then was given a free customized jersey after entering the stadium. 

both of these are equally as likely as the team just dropping the ball on this and doing nothing. 

I don't agree with them being as equally likely as you do. But there's no evidence to support what actually happened outside of what we're seeing and can actually prove.

I stand by us having plenty of time in the last 4 years to get him a custom Redskins, WFT, or Commanders jersey as the names changed since he won the Stanley Cup.

And there's still time to clarify they tried (which I don't believe, I jus don't get the logic of it if he's going to the games to show support) or publicly try to get him one to make up for what happened last Sunday.

Getting where you coming from and agreeing with are not the same thing...your position isn't rocket science that's flying over anyone's head.  You are entitled to that opinion even if I totally disagree with it.

For the life of me, I jus don't believe our football framchise fully grasps the extent the other DC sports franchises are reaching out to each other and us not just out of respect but an attempt to appeal to those fan bases to get them to come to their games as well...while we have an attendance issue. 

This isn't the 1980s, the other DC teams have either caught up to us popularity-wise in the DC area or in some cases even moved past us.

Edited by Renegade7

2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I don't agree with them being as equally likely as you do. But there's no evidence to support what actually happened outside of what we're seeing and can actually prove.

I stand by us having plenty of time in the last 4 years to get him a custom Redskins, WFT, or Commanders jersey as the names changed since he won the Stanley Cup.

image.png.96678ec0b1b2ecddc5280c3906a7f5db.png

this was from September 2018, 3 months after winning the stanley cup. so, there is proof he does have a customized Redskins jersey. He had a choice to wear that one for this sundays game, and chose not to. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

Who gives a Flying ****? Someone in the PR dept needs to send Ovi a Customized version of each jersey... its just good business for a high profile fan during a name change. 

On actual attendance, it was such a nice change of pace to HEAR the crowd through my TV sunday. I took my boys to Arrowhead for a preseason game this year and was so depressed about their turnout for a preseason game... it was amazing. Superstars do that, we need a superstar soon. 

I just want to add that this debate over the jersey Ovie wore to the game on Sunday has to rank as one of the most pointless in the 22 year history of this site.

Carry on.....

2 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

On actual attendance, it was such a nice change of pace to HEAR the crowd through my TV sunday. I took my boys to Arrowhead for a preseason game this year and was so depressed about their turnout for a preseason game... it was amazing. Superstars do that, we need a superstar soon. 

I think part of that isn't as much related to Mahomes as it is to how much revolves around the Chiefs in KC. Yes, they also have the Royals which have had their moments but largely have sucked.

It's kind of like the attention the Skins used to command here. NFL is still king, but the success of the Caps and Nats has driven more people to spend their money at those games. 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

I just want to add that this debate over the jersey Ovie wore to the game on Sunday has to rank as one of the most pointless in the 22 year history of this site.

Carry on.....

I think part of that isn't as much related to Mahomes as it is to how much revolves around the Chiefs in KC. Yes, they also have the Royals which have had their moments but largely have sucked.

It's kind of like the attention the Skins used to command here. NFL is still king, but the success of the Caps and Nats has driven more people to spend their money at those games. 

I've been to arrowhead 3 times since living in St Louis for the past 18 years. When they were bad against the broncos, stadium and parking lot were empty (07-2012 range). On MNF when we lost on a last second drop in the end zone, think Alex was their QB, place was packed and loud as hell and then this preseason. That was insane for a preseason game. Full blown tailgating, louder and more full than most regular season games just about anywhere. 

I'll stick to its the Mahomes factor, but KC is def a football town. 

17 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I've been to arrowhead 3 times since living in St Louis for the past 18 years. When they were bad against the broncos, stadium and parking lot were empty (07-2012 range). On MNF when we lost on a last second drop in the end zone, think Alex was their QB, place was packed and loud as hell and then this preseason. That was insane for a preseason game. Full blown tailgating, louder and more full than most regular season games just about anywhere. 

I'll stick to its the Mahomes factor, but KC is def a football town. 

Yeah back in the day RFK would be packed for preseason, And even in 2015 I went to a preseason game at FedEx, once against Detroit where the Lions were wrecking RG3, and my club section was pretty packed. Not so much in recent years.

Lowering the club prices has definitely had a beneficial impact. I remember watching the preseason game on TV against the Panthers and I thought "there are more people in the club for a preseason game than there were for many of the regular season games last year." It definitely looked a lot more full on Sunday.

• 2 weeks later...

An article in the WaTimes from yesterday that was mentioned in another thread that I thought was intriguing:

The Washington Commanders are expecting a near sellout for Sunday’s game against the Philadelphia Eagles. But that will mean fewer fans in the seats than in previous years — almost 30,000 fewer than at FedEx Field’s peak. The Commanders again reduced capacity at FedEx Field this season, reducing the figure from 67,617 to 62,000-63,000. A team spokesperson told The Washington Times that the franchise was still working out the final number, but the reduction was made after changes to the club level and as the team turned suites into offices for the team’s business department. 

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2022/sep/22/commanders-reduce-fedex-field-capacity-again/

As we all know, the team boasted a capacity of nearly 92K after Snyder added the dream seats and the cave, and then started reducing capacity about a dozen or so years ago, primarily visible by less seats in the upper deck. However, I've always been mystified by the scale that the team has claimed to have reduced capacity. I can see how maybe 15K have been cut from the upper deck, and maybe another 1K from tarping up the club seats above the video boards.....but that doesn't add up to the 25K it would take to go from 92K to 67K. And now this current reduction?  The eye test would seem to indicate that the majority of the 5K they are claiming to have reduced would've come from the suites. But how many suites would you have to repurpose to account for this number. It would seem to be damn near all of them.

In any event, very curious.......

• Thanks 2

56 minutes ago, GhostofSparta said:

Well duh, Philly's not that far away and plenty of their fans live close. A sellout just means there's gonna be a LOT of green.

Very true, but last year's late season Philly game here only drew 51.5K. I think Philly had not clinched a playoff spot heading into the game, nor do I think we had been officially eliminated heading into it. Of course, we had suffered three straight demoralizing defeats after clawing back to .500, including two butt-kickings by the Cowboys and the game in Philly where we fielded the covid-depleted roster.

It'll be interesting to see what the announced number is tomorrow, on the heels of the reporting of the decreased capacity this year . The Cowboys game last season got 61.3K, in a stadium which supposedly had 67K capacity.

From today's Washington Post:

"Some 20,000 Eagles fans are expected to travel from Philadelphia to FedEx Field in a bus caravan on Sunday, most likely to boo, but also to witness the Carson Wentz Bowl..."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/09/24/commanders-jalen-hurts-eagles-preview/

Word on the street is that huge caravan of buses loaded up with thousands of so called Eagle fans is going to include prisoners on work release mostly for violent crimes led by a half dozen specially chosen convicts on death row coming to the game tomorrow with the expressed intent of hooliganizing, looting, pillaging and terrorizing anyone not wearing midnite green.

If you're going to the game prepare yourself accordingly.

If you don't have a ballistic kevlar vest  a limited number of burgundy and gold Commander Vests and riot helmets designed exclusively by Tanya Snyder will be sold for a VERY premium price at the stadium store-- first come first served. 

If you can't afford one a large cast iron frying pan can be jerry rigged and hidden under your clothes across the chest and/or back to provide some limited protection from edged weapons and smaller caliber ricochets but a direct hit is another matter. 

At a minimum anyone wearing burgundy and gold brave enough to go inside FedEx Field should  be ready to knuckle up at a moments notice but most of all remember to protect your women of child bearing age!

image.thumb.png.d2854cfc72083f76e4c6007ee430de7f.png

The caravan approaches...

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

When we were at rfk was there a sea of green then too? Any old timers care to share?

I went to maybe a dozen games at RFK, including a couple in the mid-90s against the Eagles, and don't remember a sea of green.

But even at FedEx, I don't think opposing fans "taking over" was really an issue for the first decade of the place. Of course, the game that sticks out was the 2008 MNF against the Steelers, which, IIRC, was Pittsburgh's first game in DC in like 20 years. But its definitely been an issue over at least the past decade, especially in the lower bowl visitors side sections.

• Like 1

On 9/12/2022 at 5:54 PM, CobraCommander said:

I think it's not just about winning when it comes to attendance. You have to have a good and exciting offense that puts up points. Just slogging through 13-10 wins isn't enough. Scoring 4 TD's through the air, that's how you get people salivating. Having a QB that can complete those throws, that's how you do it. 

And let's not forget there's precedence here. The actual sell-out streak started in the mid-60s when the teams sucked but the offense broke the old "Lite Brite" scoreboard at D.C. Stadium every Sunday afternoon. That offensive production changed with the Allen/Pardee years but I reckon annual playoff runs helped keep everyone's attention. 

If you can build a winner, at least make it fun to watch. 

18 hours ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

When we were at rfk was there a sea of green then too? Any old timers care to share?

Nope.

Not even close.  

Smattering of Eagles fans in those days but it was OVERWHELMINGLY Redskins fans.  I was lucky to be at a few of those games.  

• Like 2