Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread (Same Day Edition): The Team vs. Chargers

KDawg

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

This is one spot I expect us to right the ship.  If we only had 21 throws, allowing pressure on 14 isn't the end of the world.  Taylor can get reps with the 1s this week and we can do a better job setting our protections and managing pressures.  The OL can get accustomed to a more chaotic and mobile presence back there in the pocket behind them.  And Leno and Cosmi can settle down some against a weaker pair of edge rushers.

21 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

With blocking like that, it would have been a much uglier game if Fitzpatrick was sitting in the pocket all day

Unless Turner was smart enough to throw quick passes like Sandogs OC did.  He made our DL look pedestrian from the first snap. Sure some of that was their WRs catching everything; we barely got our ace WR a target in the first half.

I'd bet Gibsons shoulder is a little tender. I look for lots of run left.

Washington generated pressure on Chargers quarterback Justin Herbert on 12.2 percent of his dropbacks during Sunday’s loss, according to Pro Football Focus, which was the lowest rate in the league. The Chargers deployed several methods that appeared to be aimed at neutralizing the strength of Washington’s front — with chip-blocks by non-linemen and max protections to fortify their pass blocking, and presnap motions and play-action passes to slow Washington’s pass rush.

Herbert didn’t have a super-fast release — his average time to throw of 2.7 seconds ranked 12th among passers in Week 1, according to NFL Next Gen Stats — but he only threw deeper than 20 air yards three times in 47 attempts, the league’s fifth-lowest rate.

This could be, in part, because Washington rarely forced him to look deep downfield. Los Angeles faced 19 third downs Sunday, and the average distance was 5.6 yards. When Herbert did have to make a downfield throw, on third and 16 during the last drive of the game, wide receiver Keenan Allen found a hole in the defense to convert.

On the play, no defender was within three yards of Allen. One problem could have been multiple players in the same zone, as Rivera mentioned during his news conference, but linebacker Jon Bostic said the blame fell on the players, not on defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio.

“If 10 guys do their job and one guy doesn’t, understand it’s going to be an explosive play,” he said, adding: “It was a perfect call for us. We just didn’t execute.”

Now, the question is whether the defense can rebound in Thursday night’s game against the New York Giants, and whether it can live up to its billing as one of the league’s best units. For his part, Rivera is counting on a turnaround.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

This is one spot I expect us to right the ship.  If we only had 21 throws, allowing pressure on 14 isn't the end of the world.  Taylor can get reps with the 1s this week and we can do a better job setting our protections and managing pressures.  The OL can get accustomed to a more chaotic and mobile presence back there in the pocket behind them.  And Leno and Cosmi can settle down some against a weaker pair of edge rushers.

Yep.  Our guards-center will have a handful with Leonard Williams and D. Lawrence.  But our tackles shouldn't struggle with the Giants edge rushers. 

Teddy Bridgewater looked like Brady against the Giants.  Giants to my eyes looked flat.  As bad as the WFT looked on Sunday, Giants to me looked much worse.

Aside from Daniel Jones' odd dominance over us and the Giants in general feel like they have our number -- this is a game we should absolutely win.

If they don't win this one, I don't think its nuts to expect a top 10 pick and maybe even top 5.    This isn't last year schedule.  Atlanta maybe is easy pickings but otherwise who else?  

On paper, some thought Carolina, Denver, the Saints, Raiders would be very winnable games but those opponents are not looking that easy after week 1.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise

What I hated most about this game is that we were outcoached from top to bottom, left to right. I really like Rivera and del rio, very much dislike turner, but they all seemed as unprepared as the next. This can’t happen again. As I’ve posted before, this team as a whole has average+ talent, we need coaching to be excellent in order to beat .500.

that being said, we played a very good chargers team, a playoff bound chargers team of healthy. We weren’t blown out, we hung in there, but I’m sick of that being the bar. 

On defense, if our front 4 doesn’t play to expectations then the D as a whole is nothing special. Hopefully chase specifically bounces back with a monster game on Thursday. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah if we lose to the Giants this is gonna be an ugly 4-13 type season. I don't know if we're very good but I don't wanna be looking up draft prospects in October.

It’s the worst part of being a WFT fan. Routinely feel out of it by mid October. Even when the years end well, the beginning and middle usually suck. 

• Like 1

For the life of me it seems like Scott Turner's offense has zero idea how to use the speed of players for anything besides running downfield hoping that there is a busted coverage.  If you look at the 49ers since Kyle Shanahan took over and still now with their new O-coordinator they find ways to help Jimmy G get the ball out and into the hands of the speedy guys in space and let them get the yards from there.  They will do that over and over, until the coverage is forced to cheat, and then they hit with George Kittle down the seam for a huge gain.  

We have the personnel to do the same sort of stuff, yet I never see our WRs involved in the passing game unless it is some tiny crossing pattern or out route where they get tackled immediately.   Dyami Brown....all we've heard since the day he was drafted was how quick he is, yeah?  Run a sweep, a screen, a slant route, a pitch, a ANYTHING to get the ball into his hands with a couple blockers in front of him and let him go to work. 

Remember when Dan Snyder kept sending the vanilla ice cream to Norv? I think his son needs to get a couple scoops sent his way as well.

Edited by NoCalMike
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

Early in training camp, Rivera shared his biggest fear about Washington's 2021 team: That in the wake of a surprising late-season charge to the NFC East title, and a stirring playoff performance against the eventual Super Bowl champion Tampa Bay Buccaneers, his players -- especially the younger and less experienced ones -- would head into this campaign with a false sense of security. If players believed they could flip a switch and pick up where they left off last January, rather than remembering the collective grind and commitment it took to get there in the first place, a reality check could be swift and severe.

"You're not dropped on top of the mountain," Rivera reminded his players.

...When he turned on the tape Monday morning, Rivera found one play particularly hard to stomach: With the Chargers facing third-and-16 from their own 12 with 5:29 remaining, second-year quarterback Justin Herbert dropped back and zipped a ball over the middle to star wide receiver Keenan Allen, who collected it and fell backward for a 17-yard gain. Allen got to the first-down line despite the presence of three nearby defensive backs (safeties Bobby McCain and Landon Collins and cornerback Kendall Fuller), while Herbert had a completely clean pocket -- none of which pleased Rivera.

"We could have benefitted from some pressure," he said. "And we could've gotten a little bit better coverage and forced that ball to be thrown underneath, and not over the top (of the linebackers)."

That was merely the first of Herbert's four aerial third-down conversions on the game-clinching drive; all in all, the 14 third-down conversions allowed by Washington were tied for the most in franchise history.

In other words, there was plenty of blame to go around.

While Rivera was less unhappy with the offensive performance, which included an efficient and reasonably clean effort from Taylor Heinicke in relief of Fitzpatrick, the game tape revealed some mystifying missed blocks -- and he was obviously stung by running back Antonio Gibson's fourth-quarter fumble in the shadow of his own goal line, setting up what proved to be a game-winning touchdown drive that totaled a mere three yards.

Eliminating mistakes completely isn't a realistic goal, but Rivera would like to see some quick and immediate improvement when it comes to reducing the types of errors he perceives as easily avoidable. Mental mistakes raise his heart rate. Players freelancing, even when their intentions are good, make his blood boil.

"Sometimes it's guys trying too hard to make plays," Rivera said. "And in the process, they're not maintaining their gap integrity. I talk to the team about playing their role, about all 11 guys doing what they're supposed to do. If one or two guys don't do their job, the opponent will find you, and exploit you.

https://www.washingtonfootball.com/news/rivera-wants-to-see-more-maturity-fewer-mistakes-in-week-2

"That's the maturity part, and that's the disappointment. Because guys paying attention to detail and doing what they're supposed to do -- that's exactly what got us to where we were at the end of last year."

• Like 1

18 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

For the life of me it seems like Scott Turner's offense has zero idea how to use the speed of players for anything besides running downfield hoping that there is a busted coverage.  If you look at the 49ers since Kyle Shanahan took over and still now with their new O-coordinator they find ways to help Jimmy G get the ball out and into the hands of the speedy guys in space and let them get the yards from there.  They will do that over and over, until the coverage is forced to cheat, and then they hit with George Kittle down the seam for a huge gain.  

We have the personnel to do the same sort of stuff, yet I never see our WRs involved in the passing game unless it is some tiny crossing pattern or out route where they get tackled immediately.   Dyami Brown....all we've heard since the day he was drafted was how quick he is, yeah?  Run a sweep, a screen, a slant route, a pitch, a ANYTHING to get the ball into his hands with a couple blockers in front of him and let him go to work. 

Remember when Dan Snyder kept sending the vanilla ice cream to Norv? I think his son needs to get a couple scoops sent his way as well.

Scott Turner is a problem, just like his old man. His offense lacks creativity—we have seen that from the start. Now we were all willing to give him a wide berth given last seasons QB play, but there better be some drastic improvement and fast with Turner’s play calling and design. There were a number of unforgivable signs on Sunday: 

1) not giving cosmi nearly enough help. The game plan should have revolved in part on neutralizing one of the games most dominant ends. Leaving cosmi on an island with bosa was coaching malpractice. 

2) not getting our marquee players involved from the start. His playcalling essentially took away our two biggest offensive threats: Logan and Terry. His job is to get those guys involved. Get the balls to your playmakers. This is offense 101. This is also the first game of the season. You’ve had the entire offseason to design and disguise plays for these guys. 
3) using the run to “set up” the pass. This isn’t really required with modern offenses. But even if it were, his runs have been vanilla from the moment we got here and they never actually seem to set anything up. In other words, his playcalling not only lacks creativity, it’s lacks rhythm as well. The chargers are having an easy time putting pressure on us?  Use a screen, a bootleg, use the hurry up. I honestly have no idea what Turner was doing all off-season. I was actually more concerned about the offense than the defense. 
4) the play call after the interception. We could have and should have done something to take advantage of the momentum change. A rollout for a 10 yard gain. Anything other than a handoff with no blockers to the right side. Again, this is borderline coaching malpractice. Obviously Gibson is ultimately responsible for putting the ball on the ground, but he got a huge assist from Turner. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

I don't think Turner is a run first coach. I think he was forced into that role because of the Chargers pass rush and their defensive scheme essentially giving us the run.

As far as not getting Thomas or McLaurin looks, we don't know if that was a Turner issue or a QB issue. Fitz looked flustered and was checking down quite often. As soon as Heinecke got in we saw Thomas get a couple catches to end the 1st half and the ball go to McLaurin in the 2nd half.

I do agree that we needed to get Cosmi more help with Bosa. That's the one issue I really had with Turner this past week. Everything else I think was more game circumstance and personnel issues.

• Like 1

On 9/14/2021 at 2:35 PM, purbeast said:

I will take the professional football coaches opinions over the arm chair quarterback experts on the internet that think they know more than the guys who have been doing it professionally their entire careers.

Agreed.  You don't put all your eggs in one basket based off one game last season.  (as impressive as it was)  If Taylor does take ownership of the job now and make it his own Fitzpatrick's signing probably has a lot to do with that.  Taylor undoubtedly learned a lot from him, and his signing certainly pushed him. 

• Like 1