Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread (Same Day Edition): The Team vs. Chargers

KDawg

36 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Against a perennial Pro Bowler in Taylor Lewan too....

Our guys are incapable of dominating unless its against a backup or complete turd.

I among others laid this out as a what if thing about this season.  We know this defense can destroy the Andy Daltons and Nick Mullens with the best of them. But can they actually stop a good offense or at least look good against them?

I recall years back some thought the defense might have arrived when they dominated some bad teams.  But then came Matt Ryan and Drew Brees who carved them up like it was nothing.

I am not throwing in the towel on this defense, I think they have the potential to play well against good offenses but until I see it - it remains a question mark for me. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Overall pretty negative from our fans.

Defensively we were ALL OVER the WR's.  We ran into an extremely accurate passer who had very large targets to hit.  

Jamin Davis is not ready to play full time and when he was off the field we were rolling.  We will continue to get him reps and help him grow.  But overall, our D played well.

Offensively, our tackles got exposed by the most fundamentally sound edge rusher rusher in the NFL in Bosa.  I think we will be fine.

But I guarantee Reuben Foster or Bendardrick McKinnley get a call this week.  If Jamin is forced into action then we are in serious trouble.....as a run defender I think he is as raw as Sammis Reyes is as a pass catcher.  He has a long ways to go.  I think we crush the Giants this week and we keep progressing.

• Confused 1
  • Thumb down 1

7 minutes ago, Dexter said:

Overall pretty negative from our fans.

Defensively we were ALL OVER the WR's.  We ran into an extremely accurate passer who had very large targets to hit.  

Jamin Davis is not ready to play full time and when he was off the field we were rolling.  We will continue to get him reps and help him grow.  But overall, our D played well.

Offensively, our tackles got exposed by the most fundamentally sound edge rusher rusher in the NFL in Bosa.  I think we will be fine.

But I guarantee Reuben Foster or Bendardrick McKinnley get a call this week.  If Jamin is forced into action then we are in serious trouble.....as a run defender I think he is as raw as Sammis Reyes is as a pass catcher.  He has a long ways to go.  I think we crush the Giants this week and we keep progressing.

What game were you watching where the Defense played well..They sucked plain and simple and it wasn't just one group either.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

He’s right it is important, what for me was a tad more unforgivable was that we didn’t seem to want to press man to man coverage on the back end to keep that ball in Herberts hands a little longer

It’s a two way street you can pile all the 1st rounders you want into the D Line but if a QB can look up and have the ball out of his hands in a second then you’ve wasted your investment

14 minutes ago, Dexter said:

But overall, our D played well.

No it didn't, lmao, what game were you watching?  14 out of 18 3rd downs given up.  Almost zero pressure to Herbert.  Identical to the defense last year in the game against the Bucs.  This fanbase consistently hypes up this defense which has yet to do anything worthy of hype.  Congratulations, you beat Andy Dalton, Ryan Finley, Nick Mullens, and Nate Sudfeld.

The defeat yesterday is made a little more bitter with the Fitz incident, it’s no ones fault these things they happen and it’s a shame

I think there’s layers to our QB situation now, it’s not as easy as shouting “GET CAM” or “DONT GET CAM”

Firstly id want to know the extent of Fitz injury, if it’s weeks and not months then it’s a non starter regards Cam, however if it begins to go down the route of being months that keeps Cam in play for me

Secondly Heinicke, he’s got a massive opportunity now to consolidate himself in the NFL, he flashed yesterday as he did at the end of last season, one issue, health. If he can stay healthy Cam is a non starter and if he gets injured Cam is still in play

So anything outside of Fitz being injured for months and Heinicke getting injured himself and I’m not interested in Cam, for me I start to draw the line at Kyle Allen. If Kyle Allen was the next man up then I’m giving Cam a call and asking the question, I’ll forgive a QB mistakes and I like to think I’m fairly patient but Allen just does nothing for me from an excitement standpoint and at that stage I’d say roll the dice on seeing what Newton has left this team isn’t perfect, but it’s too good to throw a season on Kyle Allen

Edited by DefinitelyMaybe

3 minutes ago, Alexa said:

Allen, Payne, Young, Sweat = vastly  overrated. To even think Young and Sweat were getting talk of touching Manley and Mann's sack record in a season is straight up laughable. 

Its been one game and we’re labelling a D Line that practically dragged us to the play offs last season “vastly overrated”, deary me

With fans like that who needs enemies

8 minutes ago, DefinitelyMaybe said:

Its been one game and we’re labelling a D Line that practically dragged us to the play offs last season “vastly overrated”, deary me

With fans like that who needs enemies

they can play well against scrub QB's but when they get up against top QB's they can't do much. Tired of the talk. Tired of the hype. 

3 minutes ago, Alexa said:

they can play well against scrub QB's but when they get up against top QB's they can't do much. Tired of the talk. Tired of the hype. 

You didn’t think to ask why? Look how quick Herbert had ball out of hand yesterday especially down the back end and to open receivers

Or do you want Chase and Montez to dip back field Manuski style do some covering too?

These are young players, with 1 year of coaching under Rivera, these things take time and your lack of patience means your in for a tough couple of years

This game really confirmed what most already knew... 

We need a top level QB to compete with the better teams in the league and we don't have one.

and

This defense is great on paper and against bad teams but gets exposed against the upper end QBs in the league.

and

FedEX field is an embarrassment and among the worst (if not the worst) stadiums in the league with terrible fan experience to the point now where you may end up having sewage dumped on you.  

• Like 1

4th and 7 on the 42. If you are going to go for a false start, at least keep the damn offense out there and maybe get a mismatch or the D confused and then run a play. Head bobbing hard count flinch city.  Hell, just run a play and don't live in fear of a 4th and 7 at home.  It just shows no faith in your offense, OC, QB, etc. Thinking back to last year when RR seemed to tap out early when games were not truly over... I would like to see him do anything he can to win games and am surprised more didn't call him out on it.

This armchair GM considers it bad if a defensive player taken in round 1 isn't ready for full time. Yes the sky fell.

Edited by RandyHolt

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-week-1-game-recap-los-angeles-chargers-20-washington-football-team-16
Offensive Line

The offensive line held up fairly well in this test against one of the NFL’s best defensive lines. Herbert was under pressure on only five of his 49 dropbacks in the game, pending review. 

Rashawn Slater was credited with a clean slate in pass protection in his NFL debut, per PFF’s first-run analysis. He allowed zero pressures on 49 pass-blocking snaps. 

Defensive Line

Jonathan Allen and Montez Sweat both recorded sacks, but it was a quiet performance overall for Washington’s star-studded defensive line. No one finished the game with more than two pressures despite Herbert dropping back to pass 49 times, pending review. 

Defensive Backs
Player Coverage snaps Yards allowed Combined PBU + INT
William Jackson III 43 13 2
Kendall Fuller 44 63 0
Benjamin St-Juste 31 76 0

Benjamin St-Juste and Kendall Fuller were Herbert’s targets of choice, combining to allow 129 passing yards into their coverage. Fuller moved back into the slot (game-high 19 coverage snaps) after playing primarily out wide in 2020. 

By comparison, free-agent acquisition William Jackson III was charged with just 13 passing yards into his coverage, and he came away with an interception and a pass breakup.

11 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Ok so....how much is “extended time”? Weeks? Months? The whole season? 

I presume we are about to find that out soon

Edited by Skinsinparadise