Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone else beyond frustrated??

Giddy4Gibson

5 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Tell me about it.  I say no to golf every Sunday for this team.  The weather was absolutely gorgeous both Week 1 and yesterday as well.

I'm at a point in my fandom where I would not turn down golf. I just don't care anymore. Apathy is real.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, max21 said:

Part of me thinks we can get right and beat up on the Falcons. Part of me starts to think that we have no answer for QB in a QB driven league and our elite defense is completely fraudulent. Calvin Ridley and Pitts are going to have a field day. Can’t believe I said no to golf yesterday and wanted to watch the game instead, smh. 

That was our story last year. We didn't beat any good QB's last year either, besides Big Ben. We even gave up 30 to cast off Jared Goff. Then we ran into the Ben Dinucci's, Ryan Finleys, or course Daniel Jones twice ( though we lost he didn't tear us up throwing the ball), and Nick Mullens. And we tore them up. But when we went up against the gun slingers in this league we looked avg. But everyone was hyping us up, kept playing that Chase Young TD highlight when everyone needed to realize it was against an injury riddled 49er team..

We should have some success with ATL. but I don't have any confidence we this D can hang with any legit offenses, and our schedule is full of them compared to last year..

Edited by Playaction2Sanders

10 minutes ago, lavar1156 said:

The problem is how did they drop off so quickly with a large majority of the same players from last season and Del Rio is in his 2nd season here.  Maybe it's the scheme with a lot of zone instead of playing man coverage.  Something else is definitely at issue here.

16 minutes ago, SAli457180 said:

The problem is how did they drop off so quickly with a large majority of the same players from last season and Del Rio is in his 2nd season here.  Maybe it's the scheme with a lot of zone instead of playing man coverage.  Something else is definitely at issue here.

My guess is that the good play from the defense last year was almost all due to playing against crappy teams/backup QBs. 

the teams our defense looked awful against: Cardinals, Browns, Ravens, Rams, seahawks for the most part, and panthers for the most part

teams our defense looked good against: Philly, cowboys, bengals, a washed up Big Ben, 49ers

now that we’re playing top teams and QBs, our defense is awful like they were against the top teams/QBs last season. The coaching staff and front office i guess misjudged the reason why defense was good to close out the season, and most of us (myself included) wanted to believe/hope that was what the defense would look like in year two of the system. 

• Like 1

I was watching the game yesterday at Sofi stadium on the big screen ring they have that goes around the field before the Rams/Bucs game. It was such a drastic difference than watching McVay take apart Todd Bowles and embarrass Brady. I really wish I could support the local team here and not be sucked in with the Washington drama but I can’t. I’m way too bought in and stuck permanently.

I most feel guilty for making my son become a Washington fan. He could experience some great games like I did when I was his age with Joe Gibbs and the Redskins. But all he has is frustration and disappointment and an occasional   stretch of excitement. He has to explain to his friends he’s a Washington fan because of his dad.  It might be child abuse. 😂 

• Haha 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Good QB's will win against this team most times because there are too many players on this defense that are not fast enough to play in zone coverage.  They are late to their assignment every single time.  It seems like all 3 weeks so far the opposing QB can basically call 2-3 plays over and over and over again on 3rd down and every single time the WR is just standing there with no defender around them.

34 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

It’s amazing how overdramatic this thread is. Y’all need, like Prozac or something.

Again, lot of the feelings stem from it being 30 years since that magical Super Bowl season. Its a different league now with the salary cap and all, but, as others have pointed out, we haven't had a season since that anyone could consider as remotely special, meaning a monster record that gives you legit hope going into the playoffs, even if it doesn't result in a championship.  The few playoff seasons that we have had seem to require miracle runs (1999 being the exception), and the few seasons where we've had good records at the midpoint have largely fizzled out (2005 was a combo good record/miracle run year).  We have not so much as hosted a divisional round playoff game in three decades. A lot can still happen this year and we are far from being out of it, but so far it seems to have that .500-ish look written on it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

My guess is that the good play from the defense last year was almost all due to playing against crappy teams/backup QBs. 

the teams our defense looked awful against: Cardinals, Browns, Ravens, Rams, seahawks for the most part, and panthers for the most part

teams our defense looked good against: Philly, cowboys, bengals, a washed up Big Ben, 49ers

now that we’re playing top teams and QBs, our defense is awful like they were against the top teams/QBs last season. The coaching staff and front office i guess misjudged the reason why defense was good to close out the season, and most of us (myself included) wanted to believe/hope that was what the defense would look like in year two of the system. 

Everything you said it's true.

This is an offensive league but we have went heavy on defense.  Not only did the players believe that false hype of last year, but so did the coaches.  That so called great defense, the defense that was only a qb away from being superbowl contenders; was based on falsehoods.  The defense looked against inferior competition but played poorly against better teams.  We are seeing this year and will continue to see this year; just how bad our defense really is.

The whole team was bad. Defense more so.  If you can't stop your opponent; that makes things worse for the offense.    Mistake #1; you go into the season with backup QBs.   The Journeymen Fitzy, TH and KA.  A great QB can paper over some of a team's weaknesses.  Look at GB. Where do you think they will be without Rodgers.   It's early but Cincy and San Diego have franchise QBs.

I don't really have much faith in Ron's plan.  Frankly, we probably will never do much under the ownership of Snyder.   When the Rivera comes to it's predictable end; Snyder will go after the next name.   When  Snyder is the one hiring; he never goes after an up and coming coach.  Don't expect Dan to ever hire a Sean McVay type of coach.

Here's Dan's history:

01- Marty- An ego hire. Hired him because Marty said he would never work for Dan; so Dan proved him wrong.

02- Spurrier- A big college name Dan was enamored with.

04- Gibbs-  The return of the great one.  The only time Dan really did a real coaching search was in 2004 but behind the scenes, he was trying to lure back Gibbs. It worked.

*08- Zorn. After the fanbase rejected the rumored hiring of Fassell; Dan let Vinnie pick his coach and Vinnie said why not Zorn.

10-   Shanny.  He was lusting after him, the moment he got fired from Denver. Shanny wasn't ready to come back, so Dan waited until he was.

*14- Jay. The second time, Dan let someone else hire the coach. This was a Bruce hire.

19- Rivera.  Why did Dan focus only Ron.  He should've looked around.

When Dan moves on from Ron; expect him to go after another name. That's just his mo.  Rinse and repeat; over and over again.

Ok to be fair I don't think the coaches are "tricked into thinking the defense is good."  They review the game film after every game and would obviously see how they perform vs each opponent and can make a pretty good judgement.

There are always other factors, such as the rest of the league having an entire offseason to pick apart what this defense did and didn't do well last year.   The linebackers feature a rookie that is learning the NFL game, and two guys who are not NFL starting caliber.    

Take a trip back a decade or so.  Remember when the Packers drafted AJ Hawk, he was supposed to be some stud at the postion and he ended up as just another guy (JAG).  Then they ended up drafting Clay Matthews who actually was as good as advertised and suddenly Hawk's game also improved by way of playing next to an all pro.    Until (if) Jamin Davis turns into a pro bowl level linebacker, guys like Bostic & Holcomb are going to continue to struggle at what they are being asked to do in this defense because they simply don't have the athletic traits to improve enough.  They might know where to be and when to be, but they never get there on time.  Remember Laron Landry during Sean Taylor vs after Sean Taylor? (RIP)

1 hour ago, SoCalSkins said:

I was watching the game yesterday at Sofi stadium on the big screen ring they have that goes around the field before the Rams/Bucs game. It was such a drastic difference than watching McVay take apart Todd Bowles and embarrass Brady. I really wish I could support the local team here and not be sucked in with the Washington drama but I can’t. I’m way too bought in and stuck permanently.

I most feel guilty for making my son become a Washington fan. He could experience some great games like I did when I was his age with Joe Gibbs and the Redskins. But all he has is frustration and disappointment and an occasional   stretch of excitement. He has to explain to his friends he’s a Washington fan because of his dad.  It might be child abuse. 😂 

You are not wrong.

I have the same thoughts for my own son. Unfortunately he is fully invested like his dad. 

2 hours ago, hail2skins said:

Again, lot of the feelings stem from it being 30 years since that magical Super Bowl season. Its a different league now with the salary cap and all, but, as others have pointed out, we haven't had a season since that anyone could consider as remotely special, meaning a monster record that gives you legit hope going into the playoffs, even if it doesn't result in a championship.  The few playoff seasons that we have had seem to require miracle runs (1999 being the exception), and the few seasons where we've had good records at the midpoint have largely fizzled out (2005 was a combo good record/miracle run year).  We have not so much as hosted a divisional round playoff game in three decades. A lot can still happen this year and we are far from being out of it, but so far it seems to have that .500-ish look written on it.

Sure it’s been a rough run. I’ve been there with y’all (I’m 44 so the last championship I was barely in my teens). I get all that, but some of the narratives being spun are pointless exercises in making the rough start even more aggravating. Simply put, it’s a young defense that hadn’t been humbled and bought into their own hype. In the long run this sort of reality check will make them better players. But the reactionary chest puffing about everyone being a bust who doesn’t care about football and don’t try and what have you really isn’t doing anyone any favors.

Edited by PartyPosse

12 hours ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

Anyone think we can beat the cowboys twice again this year?

I do, but only if our defense get their heads out of their asses and if we commit more to getting the ball to Gibson and Thomas. Long season but RR needs to get this thing turned around.

Here's a question for you: If we should lose this week and TH either struggles or gets injured does RR give Cam a call? 

6 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

Sure it’s been a rough run. I’ve been there with y’all (I’m 44 so the last championship I was barely in my teens). I get all that, but some of the narratives being spun are pointless exercises in making the rough start even more aggravating. Simply put, it’s a young defense that hadn’t been humbled and bought into their own hype. In the long run this sort of reality check will make them better players. But the reactionary chest puffing about everyone being a bust who doesn’t care about football and don’t try and what have you really isn’t doing anyone any favors.

I wonder if we are scanning other teams practice squads for linebackers? We need more speed at LB from what I can see and I wonder what's out there? I found this practice squad site for anyone interested in scanning practice squad players. 

https://www.footballdb.com/transactions/practice-squads.html

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

I do, but only if our defense get their heads out of their asses and if we commit more to getting the ball to Gibson and Thomas. Long season but RR needs to get this thing turned around.

Here's a question for you: If we should lose this week and TH either struggles or gets injured does RR give Cam a call? 

No.  He will go with Kyle.

If Kyle gets injured and TH isn’t healthy and Fitzy not ready to come back; then maybe but he’s unvaccinated. I think Cam is probably done in the nfl.

8 hours ago, mrfixit28 said:

You are not wrong.

I have the same thoughts for my own son. Unfortunately he is fully invested like his dad. 

Mine is invested at this point too. But instead of a happy well adjusted 8 year old he normally is, he tends to be an irritable cynical jerk most of football season like his dad! Then again there are enough participation trophies these days. Being a Washington fan teaches you to deal with disappointment and shattered dreams.  Might be a great life lesson long term. 

• Thumb up 1

35 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

To add insult to injury the Giants signed Wes Martin off of our practice squad.  He was a fourth round draft pick in 2019.

I wonder if Riverboat Ron is surprised or not?

Rivera didn't draft him. I doubt anyone cares that we lost Wes Martin. That guy seriously sucked

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

19 hours ago, lavar1156 said:

My counter to that is that this always seems to be the explanation. I was a passionate fan from 1982 through 2019. The disgusting acts of the owner and organizational execs changed my passion last year. But I still follow the team. 

Over the past 20 years, the Skins have hired qualified people. In almost all cases, those people were wildly successful under other owners or other franchises. I don't believe the Rivera and Del Rio forgot how to coach defense. Just like I don't believe that Shanahan forgot how to run a contender or Gibbs became a man who loses more than he wins. 

The culture that has been built here will ALWAYS result in a whole that is less than the sum of its parts. That's due to Snyder and any finger-pointing that Rivera or Wright or Del Rio is the issue is just denial. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Put Kyle Allen in line and bring up Shurmurs kid, I don't want the circus that will be involved with bringing in cam newton his athleticism has gone downhill since going vegan. 

You have to be surprised by what has transpired so far this year to be frustrated.  I am not surprised so I'm not frustrated.  The team went 7-9 last year and was in the worst division in football and they still don't have a proven franchise QB.  I predicted they would go anywhere from 6-11 to 8-9 because they are facing many of the best QBs in the NFL to include three all-time greats without having a franchise QB of their own.  The way the defense has played so far, however, six wins may be a bit optimistic.

Edited by cakmoney61