Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Justin Herbert's Chargers @ Ryan Fitzpatrick's Team

88Comrade2000

16 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I was a member here for a long time but rarely posted because of this behavior. I got tired of the homers and how posters were attacked for posting critical comments. It's gotten better but it's obviously still here. 

Nobody here is actually rooting for the team to be bad so they can show up on Monday to say "I told you so" to a bunch of anonymous posters on a message board.  Some of feel this team is just not as good as many here believe and they should be allowed to post those thoughts without being attacked.  By the way I share that opinion. This team still has a lot of holes. 

Thank you...and thank you cooleyfan...or should I say cooling fan? Hehe 

1 hour ago, bakedtater1 said:

It's not what I'm hoping for..absolutely not and don't tell me otherwise...how dare you try my fandom...every single game Washington goes into I am hum ho negative Nancy and everytime Washington wins...don't **** with my mojo..

So we have terry m and thaaaaaaaaaaaan?.at wr...a bunch of un provens...we can only hope d brown has half the type.of season terry did his rookie year..the o line looked ok during pre season...pre season...

It's 'theeeeeeeeeeeen' not 'thaaaaaaaaaaaan'.  Carry on.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

This is a little misleading.  Defensive success put the offense in better positions to score points.  If the D gets a Pick-6, that TD goes into the points-a-game stat.  The 20.9 points a game we scored last year was 25th, but our defense definitely contributed to that.  With a league average defense, I'm sure we'd be well below 20 points a game.

In games Fitz started last season the Dolphins averaged 24.6 points. I think we have a better offense to put around Fitz than he had in Miami. 25 points a game is a reasonable goal for us this season and if our defense plays anything like we expect that should win us more games than we lose.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

10 minutes ago, MartinC said:

In games Fitz started last season the Dolphins averaged 24.6 points. I think we have a better offense to put around Fitz than he had in Miami. 25 points a game is a reasonable goal for us this season and if our defense plays anything like we expect that should win us more games than we lose.

I think we're underestimating what our playmakers can do simply because we haven't had a QB in the last 4 years that gave them a chance to show it. Between Colt and Dwayne and Alex... everything has to be perfectly aligned and low-risk. What's the point of playmakers if all they need to be able to do is run a curl-route and catch the ball 6-7 yards downfield? Fitz is inherently going to make everyone better even if he does come with a slightly higher uptick in risks. It's not like Alex was the beacon of ball security last year.

Edited by PartyPosse
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I want to agree, but league average offense plus a defense flirting with Top 5 usually means something like 11-5 in the 16 game season.

I do think our weapons are better than what Fitz had.  Before 2019, those weapons were all thought of as busts or disappointments.  He turned around the careers of Parker and Gesicki.  This offseason Miami thought they needed more juice and drafted a WR 6th overall and signed another for 10 million a year.  That Miami team was bouyed by a defense that feasted on a lot of turnovers.  They led the league in Takeaways per defensive drive.  In comparison, we were league average.

If we're correct, and we have a better supporting cast for Fitz.  And our defense is still Top 10 (we play multiple QB's that have flirted with or had MVP caliber seasons), then Fitz is going to be a big surprise.

• Like 1

Seems like sentiment on the offense has gone due south now that we're approaching the season opener. I remember posters here bullish on our offense vastly improving after the Fitz signing. I remember quite a few posters commenting that our current offense was better than anything he's had to work with in quite a while. What changed? Was pre-season that bad??

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I think we're underestimating what our playmakers can do simply because we haven't had a QB in the last 4 years that gave them a chance to show it. Between Colt and Dwayne and Alex... everything has to be perfectly aligned and low-risk. What's the point of playmakers if all they need to be able to do is run a curl-route and catch the ball 6-7 yards downfield? Fitz is inherently going to make everyone better even if he does come with a slightly higher uptick in risks. It's not like Alex was the beacon of ball security last year.

They won 7 games with the WORST ( ranked dead last #32nd ) QB play in the NFL.

I think it's safe to say that the Offense will be much better.  Don't expect to be trailing into half-time as a default.

• Thanks 1

Just now, PartyPosse said:

I think we're underestimating what our playmakers can do simply because we haven't had a QB in the last 4 years that have given them a chance to show it. Between Colt and Dwayne and Alex... everything has to be perfectly aligned and low-risk. What's the point of playmakers if all they need to be able to do is run a curl-route and catch the ball 6-7 yards downfield? Fitz is inherently going to make everyone better even if he does come with a slightly higher uptick in risks. It's not like Alex was the beacon of ball security last year.

I think the offense will be improved over last year. Fitz is an upgrade on anyone we had at QB last season, we added Humphries who is much better than Steve Simms was in the slot and Samuels (when we get him back!) is a big upgrade over anyone who started outside opposite Terry last season. We will wait and see how Brown performs but the potential is certainly there. 

I do think the passing game will be inconsistent. There will be stretches when Fitz looks like prime Kurt Warner in his Rams days and then times when you want to throw your remote through the TV screen at him. But overall the only way is up really from an offense that ranked 30th in total yardage, 31st in average yards per drive and 25th in total scoring.

• Like 1

do think the passing game will be inconsistent. There will be stretches when Fitz looks like prime Kurt Warner in his Rams days and then times when you want to throw your remote through the TV screen at him. But overall the only way is up really from an offense that ranked 30th in total yardage, 31st in average yards per drive and 25th in total scoring.

I think a major difference is when was the last time Fitz got to work with a competent run game? Houston and Arian Foster? Buffalo and Spiller? You're looking at 8-10 years ago. Everything since had been Barber, Chris Ivory, Gaskin, Doug Martin, a washed up Forte... This is a whole new world for him to have that luxury.

10 minutes ago, VeroViper said:

Seems like sentiment on the offense has gone due south now that we're approaching the season opener. I remember posters here bullish on our offense vastly improving after the Fitz signing. I remember quite a few posters commenting that our current offense was better than anything he's had to work with in quite a while. What changed? Was pre-season that bad??

Because our first team offense didn't score on their 4 drives and our third stringers that barely made the team didn't rival the Greatest Show on Turf against other 4th stringers that didn't make their teams.

I think the offense will be improved over last year. Fitz is an upgrade on anyone we had at QB last season, we added Humphries who is much better than Steve Simms was in the slot and Samuels (when we get him back!) is a big upgrade over anyone who started outside opposite Terry last season. We will wait and see how Brown performs but the potential is certainly there. 

I do think the passing game will be inconsistent. There will be stretches when Fitz looks like prime Kurt Warner in his Rams days and then times when you want to throw your remote through the TV screen at him. But overall the only way is up really from an offense that ranked 30th in total yardage, 31st in average yards per drive and 25th in total scoring.

You can't currently get any worse QB play when you're ranked dead last.  Until they add a 33rd team, that's not much of a bold statement.

As far as throwing the remote at the TV because of Fitz does something, well every time Check Down Charlie threw a 1 yard pass on 3rd and 5, I lost a few more hairs!

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47ej0jv7v8yuwp6fbyq9

1 minute ago, TheShredder said:

You can't currently get any worse QB play when you're ranked dead last.  Until they add a 33rd team, that's not much of a bold statement.

As far as throwing the remote at the TV because of Fitz does something, well every time Check Down Charlie threw a 1 yard pass on 3rd and 5, I lost a few more hairs!

I'm all out of hair to lose.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1