Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Roster Thread or similar ;)

KDawg

17 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

The throw where he missed Terry. I'm sure more often than not he's going to hit Terry on that play as the season progresses. 

OK, cool. 

If its the one where he didn't see Terry...the dude who got me on this point was an old poster here Darrell Greenie.  People (including myself) would sometimes hit a QB for missing seeing a dude wide open and he'd respond saying it happens every game including with the really good QBs.  At the time, I didn't have access to coaches tape and wouldn't rewatch games.  But now that i do, I see what he means.  Actually sometimes on twitter you'd hear from beat reporters from various teams who are at the game and could see the whole field how the QB didn't see a wide open potential touchdown where a WR is streaking down the field.  It happens just about every game and often multiple times.    QBs can scan the field but sometimes they won't have time to do it and or their vision isn't perfect.

Agree that Fitz typically will make that play.  Fitz has his faults but not seeing the field isn't one of them.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

OK, cool. 

If its the one where he didn't see Terry...the dude who got me on this point was an old poster here Darrell Greenie.  People (including myself) would sometimes hit a QB for missing seeing a dude wide open and he'd respond saying it happens every game including with the really good QBs.  At the time, I didn't have access to coaches tape and wouldn't rewatch games.  But now that i do, I see what he means.  Actually sometimes on twitter you'd hear from beat reporters from various teams who are at the game and could see the whole field how the QB didn't see a wide open touchdown.  It happens just about every game and often multiple times.    QBs can scan the field but sometimes they won't have time to do it and or their vision isn't perfect.

Agree that Fitz typically will make that play.  Fitz has his faults but not seeing the field isn't one of them.

Yeah my only thing about that play is I'd rather Terry be the 1st option, im not really sure why he wasn't looked at first, it might be a comfort level thing with Humphries or maybe he's just the intended first read on this particular play. 

Yeah I would also guess that Terry wasn't his first option on that play. Though that might also depend on the coverage. Maybe if they were bracketing Terry then the read progression would start somewhere else. IIRC in that clip there was a safety there but he peeled out a bit to the left after the snap. So it's possible that Fitz either missed that he peeled off post snap OR the safety peeled off after seeing Fitz look to the left first.

3 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Yeah I would also guess that Terry wasn't his first option on that play. Though that might also depend on the coverage. Maybe if they were bracketing Terry then the read progression would start somewhere else. IIRC in that clip there was a safety there but he peeled out a bit to the left after the snap. So it's possible that Fitz either missed that he peeled off post snap OR the safety peeled off after seeing Fitz look to the left first.

Im sure Terry politely got in Fitz's ear right after that play (Terry was well aware he was open judging by the way he raised his arm after passing the DB). I imagine Fitz will be be more in tuned to the possibility going forward. LOL

https://sports.yahoo.com/washington-rookie-report-week-2-023851173.html

Washington rookie report after Week 2 of the preseason

The Washington Football Team picked up their first preseason win on Friday with a 17-13 win over the Cincinnati Bengals to improve to 1-1 on the exhibition season.

It was another game where Washington’s rookies were featured heavily, especially its first five draft picks.

One of the Football Team’s rookies, tight end Sammis Reyes, did not play after entering into the concussion protocol last week. It was unfortunate for Reyes, who had a promising debut in the loss to New England, earning high praise from head coach Ron Rivera.

Now, we take a look at the performance of every Washington rookie from its preseason Week 2 win against the Bengals.

LB Jamin Davis

Washington Football Team linebacker Jamin Davis (52) during the first half of an NFL preseason football game against the New England Patriots, Thursday, Aug. 12, 2021, in Foxborough, Mass. (AP Photo/Stew Milne)

Jamin Davis played 17 plays in the win over the Bengals. He looked like a different player during his brief time on the field. He wasn't and in Week 1, but he was thinking too much on the field. In Week 2 of the preseason, Davis seemed more comfortable and was attacking the line of scrimmage. He's going to be just fine.

RT Sam Cosmi

It's safe to say that Sam Cosmi is Washington's starting right tackle. He played the entire first quarter and departed with the rest of the team's starters on Friday. Check out what noted offensive line guru said about Cosmi. 

CB Benjamin St-Juste

Third-round pick Benjamin St-Juste looks better each week. In the win over the Bengals, St-Juste was matched up with No. 5 overall pick Ja'Marr Chase and looked like the better player. He should start in Week 1 of the regular season.

WR Dyami Brown

Dyami Brown was sold in his first preseason game. In Week 2, Brown caught a 29-yard pass from quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick that was thrown to Brown's back shoulder. Brown adjusted with ease to make the big play. Sure, he had a drop, but it's the big catch everyone will remember. He is going to be a factor in Washington's offense this fall.

TE John Bates

Friday was a big game for John Bates with fellow rookie, Reyes, along with Temarrick Hemingway, both out of action. It meant he would play much more. Bates played over half of Washington's snaps but did not record a reception. That's not necessarily his fault as he had just one target. It was important for Bates to be on the field, blocking and understanding his assignments.

S Darrick Forrest

I thought rookie safety Darrick Forrest had a solid performance in the Cincinnati game. Many will remember the 15-yard penalty near the goal line that set up Cincy's only touchdown. It was not a good call. He forced a fumble on the play, but the officials obviously overturned it due to the penalty. Forrest played a lot on defense and special teams. He can help the team in 2021, but has he done enough to make it as one of Washington's safeties? I believe he has.

LS Camaron Cheeseman

Long snappers usually don't get space in these types of things. However, Camaron Cheeseman was a draft choice and is an immediate starter at an important position. The key this week was kicker Dustin Hopkins made all three field goals. Cheeseman appeared to be more in sync with holder Tress Way and Hopkins in the kicking operation this week.

DE William Bradley-King

Defensive end William Bradley-King needed to make an impression against the Bengals and he did. Bradley-King had a strip-sack in the game. The rookie from Baylor was active in the win and proved he could get pressure on the passer. He needs another strong performance against the Ravens.

DE Shaka Toney

Shaka Toney was everywhere in last week's game against the Patriots. He wasn't as active in the win over the Bengals. He's a good player who could also help Washington in 2021, especially on special teams. But just like Bradley-King, he'll need a strong finale next week.

WR Dax Milne

Dax Milne has had a good summer at training camp. He did well in the preseason opener, too. Unfortunately for Milne, he didn't receive the opportunities against the Bengals. Milne feels like the perfect practice squad candidate if Washington can get him there. In any other season, he makes the roster; it's just much tougher this summer.

RB Jaret Patterson

It was another standout performance for Patterson. He carried the ball 16 times for 71 yards and a touchdown. He also caught three passes for 25 yards. Rivera wanted to see Patterson return kicks this week. He returned one for 37 yards — the longest of the preseason. Patterson is on this team, now it's just a question of his role.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I liked Jamin before the draft but like most people, I liked Parsons more.   Cox looked decent, too.  Dallas likely has a good LB corp. 

The Cowboys are married to Jaylon Smith for whatever reason, the guy has lost all explosiveness and has no lateral quickness but they keep putting him out on the field. Their decision to play him and not get legitimate defensive tackles will be why their defense is still not good. 

I watched the entire Dallas and Texans game and while Parsons flashes a bit, he isn't asked to do anything particularly complicated. If we asked Jamin to rush the QB all the time, I'm sure he'd show more flashes too. Parsons kind of reminds me of Arrington in some ways, he has his limitations in what he can do against the pass. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

The Cowboys are married to Jaylon Smith for whatever reason, the guy has lost all explosiveness and has no lateral quickness but they keep putting him out on the field. Their decision to play him and not get legitimate defensive tackles will be why their defense is still not good. 

I watched the entire Dallas and Texans game and while Parsons flashes a bit, he isn't asked to do anything particularly complicated. If we asked Jamin to rush the QB all the time, I'm sure he'd show more flashes too. Parsons kind of reminds me of Arrington in some ways, he has his limitations in what he can do against the pass. 

I watched the entire game as well & agree.  We are using Jamin totally differently than Parsons is being used.  Each team has a defensive philosophy and are using them to that end it appears.  In watching the Cows, Parsons is ultized as the/a feature player on their defense, whereas Jamin is a piece of ours if that makes sense.  It is just what it looks like to my eye.  We have more than a few feature players on our defensive roster, not just one.  It makes Parsons stand out for them.  Proof in point by Baldy today. 

image.png.88145e1a1fee7c999d90bb26f6249b41.png

Edited by Riggo'sRangers
  • Like 3

I haven't been that impressed with Humphries so far. He's only made one catch, for six yards, from five targets. The only time that I really noticed him was when he pulled up on a crossing route and Fitz threw to the spot where he should have been had he kept running.

Most people have pencilled him in as a lock for the slot position (and he probably is), but he hasn't shown much chemistry with the QBs yet and there's only one more preseason game to go.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, London Kev said:

I haven't been that impressed with Humphries so far. He's only made one catch, for six yards, from five targets. The only time that I really noticed him was when he pulled up on a crossing route and Fitz threw to the spot where he should have been had he kept running.

Most people have pencilled him in as a lock for the slot position (and he probably is), but he hasn't shown much chemistry with the QBs yet and there's only one more preseason game to go.

It’s hard to judge much off of the 5 total series he’s played. Apparently his chemistry with Fitz has been more evident in practice. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Riggo'sRangers said:

I watched the entire game as well & agree.  We are using Jamin totally differently than Parsons is being used.  Each team has a defensive philosophy and are using them to that end it appears.  In watching the Cows, Parsons is ultized as the/a feature player on their defense, whereas Jamin is a piece of ours if that makes sense.  It is just what it looks like to my eye.  We have more than a few feature players on our defensive roster, not just one.  It makes Parsons stand out for them.  

Jamin is a big part of the reason why the Bengals only had 50 yards of offense in the 1st half. His ability to lock down the QBs safety net options were huge in containing their offense. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

Im sure Terry politely got in Fitz's ear right after that play (Terry was well aware he was open judging by the way he raised his arm after passing the DB). I imagine Fitz will be be more in tuned to the possibility going forward. LOL

I'm personally getting tired of seeing Mclaurin slow down his route, turn his head to the sky, and sigh after yet another missed opportunity. He's had to do that way too often in his short time with the team.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

7 minutes ago, ODU AGGIE said:

And there are those who question Heinicke for staring down his receivers. SMH

I'm curious, and I don't mean this as an indictment because it certainly doesn't matter but are you a Washington football fan or strictly a heinicke fan?

You user name and posting history obviously indicate you're a big fan of heinicke but you're so invested in him I'm getting the feeling you're here solely for him.

I like him too and see plenty of potential but the tint on your rose colored glasses is so dark I'm not sure your capable of seeing his flaws.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Yeah my only thing about that play is I'd rather Terry be the 1st option, im not really sure why he wasn't looked at first, it might be a comfort level thing with Humphries or maybe he's just the intended first read on this particular play. 

He stared Humphries down the entire way and then threw it into close coverage. I see no reason to try to excuse him. It was a really bad QB play.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Are people purposefully ignoring Bullock talking about the pre-snap and post-snap reads Fitz made to get him to Humphries and off McLaurin?

Or are people just thinking Bullock is wrong?

Or do people think Fitz shouldn't have played it by the book, and instead have McLaurin be the first read on every play?

Yeah, it sucks that a wide open TD was missed.  But do we change up how the offense operates, how progressions and reads are handled?

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, redskinss said:

I'm curious, and I don't mean this as an indictment because it certainly doesn't matter but are you a Washington football fan or strictly a heinicke fan?

You user name and posting history obviously indicate you're a big fan of heinicke but you're so invested in him I'm getting the feeling you're here solely for him.

I like him too and see plenty of potential but the tint on your rose colored glasses is so dark I'm not sure your capable of seeing his flaws.

Great question and one one that I clearly deserve to be asked. I am a huge Heinicke fan and became a WFT fan only after he signed. That said, I am pulling for the Team every time they play, and rooting a little harder when TH is on the field. It's really hard to not be a Heinicke fan after watching him for four years at ODU -- throwing for 15,000 yards and 132 TDs. I want him to win, and I want the Team to win.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Are people purposefully ignoring Bullock talking about the pre-snap and post-snap reads Fitz made to get him to Humphries and off McLaurin?

Or do people think Fitz shouldn't have played it by the book, and instead have McLaurin be the first read on every play?

Yeah, it sucks that a wide open TD was missed.  But do we change up how the offense operates, how progressions and reads are handled?

People don't read, so I'm assuming they missed the explanation and just resorted to outrage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, terpfan said:

The more I think about it, I think Jeremy Reaves squeezes onto this roster somehow. I’m not sure how, but I just have a feeling. 

Maybe, but he's kind of slow, in the last year of a rookie deal and was the 4rth stringer last year and we addressed the position in the offseason.

9 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

People don't read, so I'm assuming they missed the explanation and just resorted to outrage.

It needs no explanation, he missed a wide open guy down the field lol. People can say why they think he missed him and that's cool, but he still missed him. 

• Thumb up 1

24 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I guess I missed it. Can you provide the Bullock reference, please? Never mind, I found it. I would really like to have been a fly on the wall when that play was covered in the QB room.

Edited by ODU AGGIE
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

Mark Bullock said that Humphries was the first read on the play.  Fitz was reading the deep safety and the two underneath zones that Humphries was running his option route through.  He didn't look at Terry's side of the field.

The problem, as I understand it, was that Fitzpatrick misread the coverage.  When the presnap motion caused the corner and safety on Terry's side of the field to switch assignments and that safety lined up over McLaurin instead, it made their coverage look like zone, which is perhaps why he never adjusted his read and didn't look Terry's way.  Bullock says you would expect the deep safety to bracket Terry in that situation in your pre-snap read.  And maybe Cincy was playing zone instead of man, but the coverage was totally broken.  The safety didn't actually have any help over the top in a one on one in press coverage against McLaurin in the slot.  Even if he had gotten it, you absolutely expect Terry to beat that kind of jam before the help can get there.  Regardless, the moment Fitz saw that deep safety take a step to the wrong side of the field he should have been thinking McLaurin in the slot single covered by a safety and made a post-snap adjustment.  He should pretty much always be defaulting to Terry whenever coverages look screwy given our personnel.  He read the play wrong and only saw a small portion of the field.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Ball Security said:

Has Sims Jr been the only one released today?  They added Sharpe from COVID, so does that mean they still have 5 more cuts to make?

I believe that is the case, a one for one deal and there are still 5 remaining cuts to be made by tomorrow eve.

• Thanks 1