Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Roster Thread or similar ;)

KDawg

10 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Seems as though Ron sees something in Montez, that's special, and worthy of nurturing. And more than just a 4th string UDFA that probably won't make the team

Love how he was really, genuinely rooting for him to do better.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

2 hours ago, SAli457180 said:

Same.  I thought he was going to be a starter right away when signed.  It's possible he could be a surprise cut especially with the way some of the others DBs have been playing in the preseason.

What? Collins is not Sean Davis of last year. Davis was a spot starter while Collins has been pretty much a full time starter in Miami as well as defensive captain last year. 

To me he’s not competing for a roster spot. They already have mentioned him and Curl interchanging between free safety and slot corner. 

Edited by skinsfan93

27 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

What? Collins is not Sean Davis of last year. Davis was a spot starter while Collins has been pretty much a full time starter in Miami as well as defensive captain last year. 

To me he’s not competing for a roster spot. They already have mentioned him and Curl interchanging between free safety and slot corner. 

Did you even read bro

3 hours ago, SAli457180 said:

Same.  I thought he was going to be a starter right away when signed.  It's possible he could be a surprise cut especially with the way some of the others DBs have been playing in the preseason.

I don't think so, because I think the coaches want variety in subpackages and scheme.  From what I can tell there isn't a "starting" safety.  Rather a heavy rotation between Curl/Collins one series, then McCain/Curl the next, then McCain/Collins after that.

Given the Buffalo Nickel, it's likely we'll see some packages with all 3 on the field.

At least that's what it's looking like right now.  We'll find out come Week 1 I suppose.  But given how much Herbert likes to throw deep, you'd expect McCain to get a sizeable amount of snaps as Cover 1 FS.

• Like 4

Seems to be a battle for the bottom Corner spots too.

Apke had 30 snaps, more than anyone. Could that mean, the coaches are finding a place for him ?

He may not be "great" at any one particular thing, but he's versatile at 3 things : Safety, Corner, Special Teams.

Being able to play multiple positions is a "plus" for borderline players, because versatile backups actually can free up an extra roster spot.

If we keep 10 DB's, it could be :

Jackson

Fuller

Moreland

St Juste

McTyer

Apke

McCain

Collins

Curl

Forrest

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 3

Fitzpatrick missed a throw you expect an average to below average starting QB to miss, it is what it is. We're going to be having many ups and downs with him all year and as long as he isn't the long-term solution, I'm okay with that. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Fitzpatrick missed a throw you expect an average to below average starting QB to miss, it is what it is. We're going to be having many ups and downs with him all year and as long as he isn't the long-term solution, I'm okay with that. 

I always default in a pre-season with a QB learning a new offense, that I'm not going to get too conclusive, too soon.  It doesn't matter to me what Fitzpatrick did 3 yrs or more ago.  Rather, I do consider the last season or two. I think if he gets enough reps and feel for the flow of how they do it here, then he'll perform better than much of what we saw in 2020.  When they game plan, it will look very different.  I'd add that the one thing that could change our minds about Fitz is fearlessness to throw 50/50 balls. For 1 thing, he's not going to wait until they're trailing to take those shots.  It can change the way the feel of the games have been with playing with a lead instead of playing catch-up.  I think I'll give him 4 weeks until I'll start forming conclusions.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

Flowers took that slot.

wasn’t he playing against 2s and 3s?   That makes a difference.  I have no preference. But it does depend on who they are going up against.  

in the end I think it’s a good situation to have. Both can start so will have a high quality backup which ever player starts.  

• Like 1

Updated Roster projection:

Special Teams (3):

1). Way

2). Hopkins

3). Cheeseman

Offense (25):

QB(3):

4). Fitz

5). Heineke

6). Allen

RB(4):

7). Gibson

8). JD

9). Patterson

10). Barber

TE(3):

11). Thomas

12). Bates

13). Reyes (if concussion persists, could be on IR and this would be Ricky Seals Jones instead)

O-line(9):

14). Leno

15). Flowers

16). Rouiller

17). Scherff

18). Cosmi

19). Lucas

20). Schweitzer

21). Larson

22). Charles

WR(6):

23). Terry

24). Samuel

25). Brown

26). Humphries

27). AGG

28). Milne

Defense (25):

D-Line (9):

29). Chase

30). Allen

31). Payne

32). Sweat

33). Ion

34). Settle

35). Smith-Williams

36). Bradley-King

37). Toney

LB (5):

38). Holcombe

39). Bostic

40). Davis

41). Hudson

42). Mayo

CB (6):

43). Fuller

44). Jackson

45). St. Juste

46). Mooreland

47). McTyer

48). Apke

S (5):

49). Kurl

50). Collins

51). McCain

52).  Everett

53). Forrest

Decided to go with 5 LB(s) because Curl and Collins play in the box so much.  I know I cut Cam Sims, but I've never been a fan, and the staff cut him last year too at the end of the pre-season.  They go with the more upside play of AGG.  They could easily cut Apke and go with Carter as a full-time returner.  Larson makes it over Ishmael who hasn't unseated him as the backup center.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

are you referring to the throw where he didn't see Terry or another one?

Releasing Simms is probably the right move. That drop was probably the final straw and others seemed to have moved ahead of him in the return game. I still feel a little sad though.  He was a great undrafted rookie story and really flashed that year. Sad, he not only couldn't take that next step forward, but fell backwards.

• Like 2