Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Roster Thread or similar ;)

KDawg

8 hours ago, Califan007 said:

I'll say it again, someone give me some context here lol...

As an accomplished lip-reader, I can definitively report that Chase is saying "No, they're not girlie braids, man, they're called dreads, so shut the **** up or I'll tell my mom on you".

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

18 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think our WR group now is pretty deep.  Looks like its Terry, Samuel, Humphries.  Dyami is the main backup at X or subs there when Terry moves to the slot.  And Cam subs at Z.  That's how it looked to me in practice.  Cam got reps with the 1's in Richmond because Samuel was out.   They liked to move their WRs all over the place in the practices I watched so in the end, looks like they all will play at different spots at different times -- heck including even having Humphries play outside some. 

I am not a big Cam guy but if he's the #5 WR, that's fine with me.  He's above average IMO for a #5 WR but below average for a starter.  

As for them sticking with Cam, could be they are just higher on Cam than some of us here are.   We all agree on a lot of players in the draft thread but none of us agree on everything.  Seems like coaching staffs are the same way.  For example, you think Barber is better than some of us think so perhaps you see things closer to Ron on that or whomever on that staff.   But i doubt you agree with him on everything or vice versa.  Every now and then I read that even within a coaching staff there could be some divide on certain players.  

I think he might actually be the fourth receiver, ahead of Dyami.  First sub into the game.  I don't see what they see in him, but I think he must be great in the locker room and meeting rooms.

They're not going to go so unproven at the position, but I would honestly consider cutting Carter and Sims to keep AGG and Milne and promote Dyami to being the top reserve in all situations and have Milne return punts.  I just think that the three young receivers have so much more upside than Sims and Carter and wouldn't put off their development another year to go with safer vet options.  But I also don't have the pressure to not let the locker room fall apart on me.

Barber is a necessary evil to an extent.  I wish we had a better power back but we don't and won't get one before next off-season IMO.  Hopefully Gibson improves in short yardage situations and demonstrates the ability to handle a big workload so we don't have to rely on Barber too much.

McKissic is a smart player and his IQ certainly flashed on that play where he got the fluttered pass from Fitz, but it's not lost on me that he's skating by as the second stringer while the Barber/Patterson debate goes on and Patterson is better and less limited than him too.  McKissic does one thing really well and absolutely nothing else well.  He is so limited, and I think he's as much a JAG as Barber, but we can't move on from him because we need smart guys like him in the locker room, and because a passing game crutch in the back field is still such a need for us because our QBs and protection are so shaky and our receivers and TEs are not even close to dominant.

So again, hopefully Gibson makes the leap to super stardom and stays healthy this year.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I think he might actually be the fourth receiver, ahead of Dyami.  First sub into the game.  I don't see what they see in him, but I think he must be great in the locker room and meeting rooms.

I didn't really see Cam interchanging as much as the other receivers in the practices i watched, he seemed to almost always be at Z.  Dyami they seemed to interchange from X to Z.  I noticed him at X at times when Terry played slot.  Guessing based on that -- that Cam is the first backup at Z and Dyami is the first backup at X (which he played mostly in college).  I also noticed they had top corners at times on both Dyami (usually St-Juste) and Cam in the practices I watched.  Not so much as for the other WRs trying to make the team.  So yeah it definitely felt like Cam and Dyami are secure with their spots.  but who knows maybe if Cam has another lousy game next Saturday his spot might be in peril?  But I'd guess he makes it.

If I had to guess why they like Cam its he's a big dude, 6 "5, who can make splash plays from time to time.   He's good with the ball in his hands.  Among the NFL starters last year, he had one of the best YAC per reception stats, 7.2 in the league.  Top 10.  He made some big plays in two of their biggest games last year -- Pittsburgh and the playoff game against Tampa.   I'd also add he has had some monster practices over the years, I've seen some of those in camp myself.  Ironically not this year but 2 years ago.  I haven't seen anything like that from AGG or Milne, etc.  Not saying the later players don't end up better but I'd gather its tough for coaches to miss players who can look unstoppable in practice. 

I don't mind Cam as a 5th WR or heck even a 4th.  I think what works for Dyami too is some monster practices.  Terry before emerging his rookie season also had monster practices.    I think for AGG or Milne or Carter or whomever to emerge in the home stretch, it might help them to have one of the jaw dropping practices.  They've all had some moments.   Some big plays.  But I don't recall anyone watching practice say any of those players just destoyed it that day, unlessed i missed it?  Cam has had those days albeit not so much this year.  I've recalled the hype about Terry in training camp.  Ditto Cam in years past.  And this year the one who seems to get the most love is Dyami as for looking unstoppable in practice.

If I had to guess it right now, they go 6 WRs, AGG is the 6th.  Dax they try to get on the practice squad.  And D. Carter doesn't make it even though some beat guys think he does because of his return ability.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Imagine the completely different vibe we would have from Fitzpatrick's start on Friday had he recognized it and hit that wide open shot.  He was dialed in on Humphries the entire time.  Didn't scan the field once. That's a little troubling.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Damn...didn't even look anywhere else. Was a bad throw, too.

Yeah, that's interesting. I'm not sure about the throw, the clip is hard to tell, but it looked like there was a defender coming in from Humphries' left, so Fitzy threw it more to the right.  But it looks like Humphries just stays still instead of drifting to the open spot in the zone.  Again, it's really tough to tell, but htere's a blur of a defender coming in when the ball gets there, and I'm guessing that's why Fitzy threw the ball to the left.  

The two should have connected on that throw if Humphries just moves to his right a few steps.   The thing is, it's tough to know what the primary read is on the play. If the primary read is Humphries, then there's no reason to look elsewhere, because he's essentially open.  Now, should Fitzy have seen the defensive formation and changed the read progression to take a peak at McLaurin at the snap based on the way they were lined up?  Yeah, probably.  

But a QB can't look at every receiver on every play, so every now and then, if the primary guy looks open, that's where the ball will most likely go.

Or, the REAL long game is Fitzy KNEW he could have McLaurin, and chose to pass him up in pre-season not to tip their hand.  Or Scotty said, "Throw it to Humphries no matter what."  That would be some serious Jedi Mind-Trick stuff going on.  But eh, maybe?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Yeah, that's interesting. I'm not sure about the throw, the clip is hard to tell, but it looked like there was a defender coming in from Humphries' left, so Fitzy threw it more to the right.  But it looks like Humphries just stays still instead of drifting to the open spot in the zone.  Again, it's really tough to tell, but htere's a blur of a defender coming in when the ball gets there, and I'm guessing that's why Fitzy threw the ball to the left.  

The two should have connected on that throw if Humphries just moves to his right a few steps.   The thing is, it's tough to know what the primary read is on the play. If the primary read is Humphries, then there's no reason to look elsewhere, because he's essentially open.  Now, should Fitzy have seen the defensive formation and changed the read progression to take a peak at McLaurin at the snap based on the way they were lined up?  Yeah, probably.  

But a QB can't look at every receiver on every play, so every now and then, if the primary guy looks open, that's where the ball will most likely go.

Or, the REAL long game is Fitzy KNEW he could have McLaurin, and chose to pass him up in pre-season not to tip their hand.  Or Scotty said, "Throw it to Humphries no matter what."  That would be some serious Jedi Mind-Trick stuff going on.  But eh, maybe?

My thinking is that the ball should have come out earlier and that Humphries was expecting just that.

And while a QB can't look at every receiver on every play, he didn't look at any receiver except for Humphries. May have been spooked a bit thinking a blitz was coming. Bengals seemed to show 7 were coming but three dropped off at the snap.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

I saw that play when rewatching the game.  I didn't post it because to me its yawn.  It happens just about every game.   So when I saw that post.  My first thought was I was surprised it was posted considering how ordinary that is.  But it wasn't really the dude who posted it who made a big deal out of it but instead those who responded on twitter.   I've rewatched many games with coaches tape, paying attention to both teams -- you got typically 2-3 plays like that every game.  I used to give Alex sometimes a hard time on the topic and would post clips but I'd post a number of them, not just one.  You'd see it sometimes 6 times or so in a game with him in some games.   It's going to happen 1-3 times typically based on the play call and heck QBs can't see the whole field on every play.  These dudes are mortal.  

The other reason why its yawn to me is rewatching that game its striking how aggressive Ryan is.  I almost posted some clips of it, lol in retrospect I guess I should have.  Kirk to some extent but to a much bigger extent Alex loved checkdowns and in general going to the high percentage easier throws in the flat.  You can see that rewatching the games.    Watching Fitz, he'd ignore the checkdowns/easier throws on a bunch of plays I studied and would go for the bigger play.    And it was striking.  For Fitz to miss a broken coverage once where Terry took off, that's going to happen once in awhile.  It happens to everyone.  I am more concerned about mindset.     I got no question that if he saw a WR break loose unexpectedly he'd throw it in their direction.  I can't say the same for some of the other QBs we've had here. 

And no way watching that game leaves me with concerns about Fitz's mindset as to being aggressive.  Being aggressive and going for broke are his hall marks.  My concern about him is just plain accuracy and is he too aggressive?  Sometimes the checkdowns are fine.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

You can set the hill on fire that I died on for Kyle Trask. My god he looks awful and not even close to being ready to take snaps in the NFL. 

He's the other dude I hammered really hard after Darnold. :ols:   I was really worried we would draft him and I was relieved when we didn't.  Having said that, his career is young, he's gotten plenty of time to rebound.  I am harder on Darnold because I think the sample size is big enough now on him. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Rex Tomb said:

Imagine the completely different vibe we would have from Fitzpatrick's start on Friday had he recognized it and hit that wide open shot.  He was dialed in on Humphries the entire time.  Didn't scan the field once. That's a little troubling.

You saw it.  I saw it.  And Ron saw it too.

just force it to humphries in double coverage!!

start TH!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

I'm surprised how little I've heard about bobby McCain during TC/training camp.  I was excited when we signed him.  For those of you more in tune than I am, what are your impressions of him and his role thus far?

Same.  I thought he was going to be a starter right away when signed.  It's possible he could be a surprise cut especially with the way some of the others DBs have been playing in the preseason.

Edited by SAli457180

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Ha. I actually recommended that guy to our resident Dallas fan.

I figured we were bound to let a talented DL go, due to overload. And that a team weak on the DL, was bound to keep an eye on our final cuts at DL.

He was the one I pointed out at DT

But look guys, before you persecute me for "helping Dallas", let's be realistic. I'm just talking to a fan. My recommendation for this player will have no impact on whether Dallas signs him.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Rex Tomb said:

I agree...if he's gonna be locked in on Humphries over TMac then Humphries needs to be cut....period. Fitz better get in the film room...although he is an Ivy leaguer and probly didnt want to put the bomb to Terry on film. I get it..

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1