Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Roster Thread or similar ;)

KDawg

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Mac looking good again.  Forgot which beat writer said it but one said they heard the WFT would have taken Fields or Mac if they fell to 19. 

He's going to make me eat a huge plate of crow.  This feels like 2011 when I was super wrong about Cam Newton and it was painfully clear in his rookie year.  Jones is on the best team of any of the other rookie QBs and he's poised for early success.  It's not going to take long for him to make a home in the league.

That Patriots team is pretty damn good.  We were on the road, but they felt superior to us and I think their upside is high because of how clean they are.  Kind of feels like they're pissedand focused and they're not going to lose any games they "shouldn't" like the Chiefs and Steelers and Ravens and Bills and Colts might.

If think it would be hilarious if they won the SB this year.  Just to see Belichick steel Brady's shine and deliver a resounding **** you to everyone who questioned his success.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

He's going to make me eat a huge plate of crow.  This feels like 2011 when I was super wrong about Cam Newton and it was painfully clear in his rookie year.  Jones is on the best team of any of the other rookie QBs and he's poised for early success.  It's not going to take long for him to make a home in the league.

That Patriots team is pretty damn good.  We were on the road, but they felt superior to us and I think their upside is high because of how clean they are.  Kind of feels like they're pissedand focused and they're not going to lose any games they "shouldn't" like the Chiefs and Steelers and Ravens and Bills and Colts might.

If think it would be hilarious if they won the SB this year.  Just to see Belichick steel Brady's shine and deliver a resounding **** you to everyone who questioned his success.

I thought the teams were fairly evenly matched. We actually outgained them in yards, but their playcalling was just on a different level than ours. If it wasn't for that 85+ yard run at the end we would have outgained them by a lot. From my observation they were better at tackling than we were, both teams looked crisp for a preseason game IMO. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

Hey Ryan Grant was a heckuva route runner in practice I heard. 

Whoa, now. You're talking about a current practice squad member of the Calgary Stampeders.

Give the man some respect.  

edit: Nevermind. The CFL put him on the suspended list. Bring forth the disrespect.  

Edited by ExoDus84
  • Haha 7

6 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I liked Mac Jones, not to the degree that I liked Fields, but I probably ended up posting more about Jones than any player during the college season because it felt at the time we'd have a shot at getting him. 

He reminded me of some of Kirk's strengths, could manipulate defenses with his eyes-body language so well IMO with play action.  Threw well with anticipation.  His mobility was deceptively decent.  But the kicker with me is I kept reading about his intangibles, he works it supposedly to death.  I recall at the Senior Bowl, Nagy said he was the one dude he saw up post midnight to prepare for the practice reps they had planned for the next day.  And he raved about his work ethic. 

I've referenced Bruce Arians' book about QBs many times over the years.  Best book I've read on the spot for laymen like me.  He obsessed among other points that he much prefers young QBs who are obsessed with their craft because to excel at the position he likens it to perfecting a golf swing.  That is, you run your footwork and arm motion again and again and again nonstop to perfection where it becomes automatic on game day.  He contends that the best QBs just work it nonstop -- Brady, Manning, etc.  And that's part of the reason why they are so consistent. 

Having said that, will see as for Mac as for the real games.  We've seen some QBs having good camps/preseason and then not working out.  But Mac is off to a good start.  Supposedly having a really good camp.  The guys covering him say he's a quick study and so far so good also in the preseason. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

8 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

I get the feeling ERRRRybody gonna look good against that Philly D

If their defense ends up a problem they are in serious trouble because supposedly its their strength stacked to their offense.  Their D line is typically one of the best in the league.  Their secondary has been meh albeit they worked to upgrade that this off season.  Ranked 15 as for DVOA last year.  PFF seems to think their defense will be average. 

I've been reading Quez Watkins is having a big camp.  Got hurt last year.  In college, he was a good deep threat.  If he emerges and Devonta Smith stays healthy -- maybe their offense doesn't end up that bad?  Will see.  I am not a J. Hurts guy.     If D. Watson gets cleared in that investigation it seems like much points to him ending up in Philly.  It stinks that they could end up with three first round picks next season -- talk about draft capital. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

46 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If their defense ends up a problem they are in serious trouble because supposedly its their strength stacked to their offense.  Their D line is typically one of the best in the league.  Their secondary has been meh albeit they worked to upgrade that this off season.  Ranked 15 as for DVOA last year.  PFF seems to think their defense will be average. 

I've been reading Quez Watkins is having a big camp.  Got hurt last year.  In college, he was a good deep threat.  If he emerges and Devonta Smith stays healthy -- maybe their offense doesn't end up that bad?  Will see.  I am not a J. Hurts guy.     If D. Watson gets cleared in that investigation it seems like much points to him ending up in Philly.  It stinks that they could end up with three first round picks next season -- talk about draft capital. 

I live in Philly and all my friends are Eagles fans. They will finish last in the division and maybe will be one of the worst teams in the conference in my opinion. Their defensive line is no longer a strength and their coaches are simply puppets for Lurie and Roseman. Watch interviews of Siriana, he doesn’t come across very intelligent and looks overwhelmed. 

They may have draft capital but don’t believe Howie Roseman will make the right moves. His draft history is awful. Over the last couple years Lurie who knows nothing about football has been more involved in decisions sort of like Synder meddling. 

It will be years till they are fairly competitive unless they get Watson next year which would be interesting. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I dont think we had a realistic shot at drafting Mac if he didn't land on our lap.

Not directed at you but it’s way too early to be wishing we’d moved up for him. I agree with you about only if he fell in our laps. 

And tbh I’m pretty excited about all our draft picks. Unless Mac is truly great I don’t think I’d rather have him over any combination of Davis and Cosmi/Brown/Juste

• Like 3

Lot of conclusions being drawn about Mac and the Pats after a couple extremely meaningless games against 2s and 3s.  The question with him was never about whether he could come into the league and successfully run an offense for 5 to 10 yards a pop against backups.  His game fits the preseason perfectly.

If Im wrong about him I'll admit it but I still say he doesnt have the traits to be an upper echelon QB in this league when the real lights come on.  We'll find out soon enough.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

Honestly, I think Mac Jones ended up in a good place as far as an offensive system that will work to his strengths. A rhythm passing attack with lots of short and intermediate stuff, and the occasional deep ball peppered in, where he can use his accuracy and touch to get the ball exactly where it needs to be at the right time.

As to whether he'll become a top NFL QB, I still have some doubts. But he might not necessarily need to be a Brady, Rodgers, or Mahomes to help his team win. Should be interesting to watch.

23 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Honestly, I think Mac Jones ended up in a good place as far as an offensive system that will work to his strengths. A rhythm passing attack with lots of short and intermediate stuff, and the occasional deep ball peppered in, where he can use his accuracy and touch to get the ball exactly where it needs to be at the right time.

As to whether he'll become a top NFL QB, I still have some doubts. But he might not necessarily need to be a Brady, Rodgers, or Mahomes to help his team win. Should be interesting to watch.

Yeah I agree, he's going to have a career in the league and landed in as good a spot for his skillset as there is.  A good fit certainly helps compensate for his shortcomings.

That said, I specidically want to see how he deals with pressure in his face.  Never really had that at Bama so to me the true test is can he function against top defenses that get push up the middle and know how to blitz effectively.  If he's allowed to just sit in an easy chair in the pocket he'll do just fine.  The Cousins comp gets thrown around a lot but Kirk has much more athleticism than Jones.  

Anyway, none of this is answerable until teams start gameplanning and sending the heat.  We will see soon enough.

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

They looked awful yesterday against NE and everyone they brought aboard is old. 

• Confused 1

Good read...

https://www.espn.com/blog/washington/post/_/id/41722/ryan-fitzpatrick-starting-to-click-with-washington-football-teams-pass-catchers

Ryan Fitzpatrick starting to click with Washington Football Team's pass-catchers

John Keim ESPN Staff Writer

ASHBURN, Va. -- As Washington Football Team quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick checked out the defense before the snap, he noticed the coverage being played against tight end Logan Thomas, isolated on the right side. The defensive back was aligned to Thomas' inside, leaving a lot of room on the outside for Thomas. And Fitzpatrick knew where Thomas would get to -- and when.

In a sign of his comfort level with his new teammates, Fitzpatrick didn't hesitate. He dropped back, held the safety with his eyes for a split second, then lofted a perfect back-shoulder toss to Thomas for a 24-yard gain in Washington's preseason opener against the New England Patriots last week.

Earlier in the game, in another moment of synchronicity, Fitzpatrick led wide receiver Terry McLaurin into a 22-yard completion with a well-placed ball -- not to where McLaurin was, but to where he was headed and just to the other side of a linebacker underneath.

"Those were probably the two best throws that highlight the fact that we're feeling a little bit more comfortable on offense with each other," Fitzpatrick said.

This is what Washington had hoped to see from Fitzpatrick this summer, after a few bumpy days in the spring as he learned yet another offense with his ninth NFL team.

"There's a couple reads and throws the way they do things here that made me scratch my head at first, that I totally get them and I'm on board with now," he said. "They look at football differently than I ever have."

If Washington is going to build on its 7-9 finish from last season, Fitzpatrick must be consistent for 17 games. Washington's defense should be good, but it also plays a tougher schedule that, barring injuries, will feature quarterbacks such as Patrick Mahomes (Kansas City Chiefs), Josh Allen (Buffalo Bills), Russell Wilson (Seattle Seahawks), Tom Brady (Tampa Bay Buccaneers), Aaron Rodgers (Green Bay Packers), Justin Herbert (Los Angeles Chargers), Derek Carr (Las Vegas Raiders) and Dak Prescott (Dallas Cowboys, twice).

That's why seeing a rhythm develop between Fitzpatrick and his wide receivers has been crucial. In practices, it is clear he trusts McLaurin and Thomas as well as slot receiver Adam Humphries.

"He has a lot of anticipation," McLaurin said.

The third-year wide receiver then cited the two pass plays against New England.

"When I came out of that in cut, the ball was right there on the opposite side of that backer," McLaurin said. "Which was nice for me, because you get a chance to catch the ball and run. Obviously he knows the scheme. But the anticipation, the details of the routing, and then getting the chemistry with the rest of our receivers, that's what we're continuing to work out. When you see him making those anticipatory throws, those back-shoulder throws that he's been hitting with Logan, those are tough to defend."

Fitzpatrick spends a lot of time talking to wide receivers, in practice and after -- even if he wasn't the one making the throw. He'll talk to them after completions about what routes they might need to run if they get a different leverage from the defender. After practice one day, he and Humphries worked on an adjustment based on where the linebacker might be aligned.

That's the value of having a quarterback entering his 17th year.

Even though Fitzpatrick has played with eight previous teams, this offense took time to learn. During the spring there were some rough moments -- interceptions -- as he learned. There might be more on the way, too. That's been the nature of his pro career, but also is a product of playing in a new system.

Fitzpatrick said some of the progressions are different than what he has been used to, based on personnel groupings or formations. He said he watched film of former Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers, who ran the same system under Norv Turner, father of Washington's offensive coordinator, Scott. That, Fitzpatrick said, made it easier for him to trust.

"As an older guy, a lot of times it's, 'Well, that's not the way I've done it. I don't think that's going to work.' And it did take OTAs and some training camp reps to kind of see some things that I hadn't looked at in a particular way before," Fitzpatrick said. "It's hard. And the older you get, the harder it is to [not] take a step back and say, 'No, no, no, no, I'm right, you're wrong' and you get into that game a little bit. You take the ego out of it and it takes reps and time to understand it."

Practices also have featured more downfield passes than in recent years. Last season, Washington's quarterbacks ranked last in average air yards per pass attempt at 6.1, per ESPN's Stats & Information. Fitzpatrick's career low in this area is 7.49, set in 2008. Since 2013 he has averaged 8.79 air yards per pass attempt, which is good news for McLaurin and speedy wide receivers Dyami Brown and Curtis Samuel, who has yet to practice in full-team sessions since being taken off the physically unable to perform list.

"With the players we have, with the speed we have," Washington coach Ron Rivera said, "we've got to consider throwing that ball downfield."

Quarterbacks who bounce around as much as Fitzpatrick, 38, has don't usually have that chance to fully integrate into a new system. However, in Washington there's no high draft pick waiting to take over. And, Fitzpatrick is on a one-year deal.

"I don't really have the luxury of not being able to be good at it or do it and perform at a high level right away," Fitzpatrick said. "I have to do it right away."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Pats won’t win more than 7 or 8 games this year, just like last year.   Especially if the rookie starts.  I’m not saying they’re going to play well based off preseason.