Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Roster Thread or similar ;)

KDawg

3 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Any word on Humphries' injury ?

That concerns me more than usual, because he was quite injury-plagued right before he came here. And that may be the reason the Titans cut him

If he got hurt last night, I missed it. I thought he looked pretty good outside of the play he fell down on. Looked like he either caught a divot or got tripped up by the DB.

On 8/10/2021 at 4:35 PM, Vanguard said:

One of the hosts picked Dallas to win the division, but he was a Cowboy fan.  The neutral host picked us.  And then for the receivers we also have Dyami Brown who people like Chris Collinsworth said is the steal of the draft.  But, yes, he is an unknown at this point.

Brown I watched live ten times at UNC…he good 

• Like 1

I'm not sure we can put Reyes on the PS, especially if he continues to make plays. Its really amazing that he's been playing football for 6 months and in his first game he catches 2 of 3 balls for 12.5 yds per catch.  What does he look like after a season or two?  I cant imagine there isn't at least 10 teams that would snatch him up.

Too much upside, not enough quality TE's in the league for there not to be any interest, IMO.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

I'm not sure we can put Reyes on the PS, especially if he continues to make plays. Its really amazing that he's been playing football for 6 months and in his first game he catches 2 of 3 balls for 12.5 yds per catch.  What does he look like after a season or two?  I cant imagine there isn't at least 10 teams that would snatch him up.

Too much upside, not enough quality TE's in the league for there not to be any interest, IMO.

I can see him surviving PS, actually.

Some of the expert "football minds", even after seeing his performance, were saying he's still about a year away from being ready.

Even when he caught the ball, his hands appeared uncomfortable with the process. He's still got a long way to go before he's ready for the real games.

I could be wrong. But I think we should pump the brakes on any excess enthusiasm

4 hours ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

Dyami Brown looks like a starting NFL wide out right now. He has really long arms and more upper body strength than I thought he did. He has a lot of potential and enough talent to play while he reaches it. 

And it actually looked like he had an early chemistry with Heinicke.

That may prove to be irrelevant, but it's certainly a plus.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RedskinsVa7 said:

I saw an article this morning from Bleacher Report saying we should trade Heinieke for QB needy teams. You guys think that will happen? Me personally I want him here and hopefully he can be our long term QB if everything works out.

I'd be pretty shocked if anyone offered a pick for Heinicke.

I realize that he played very well for a guy coming off the street vs Tampa last year, but the reality is he's a still an undrafted QB who's been on 5 teams in 6 seasons, only started 2 games in his career, and has an injury history. I think it's much more likely that a QB desperate team would try to make a trade for guys like Trubisky, Mariota, or Brissett.

Maybe a QB desperate team would offer a 6th or 7th rounder for him if their situation was bad enough. But honestly at that point I'd rather just keep him as a good backup than let him go for basically nothing.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Some of the expert "football minds", even after seeing his performance, were saying he's still about a year away from being ready.

Even when he caught the ball, his hands appeared uncomfortable with the process. He's still got a long way to go before he's ready for the real games.

I could be wrong. But I think we should pump the brakes on any excess enthusiasm

He took at 10 week course at IMG on how to play football and he went out in week 1 and made plays.  He's the definition of upside IMO.

I agree he may be a year away but he's too freakish for someone not to snatch him from the PS.  Who cares that he bobbled the ball, he made the catches and he's only going to get better with reps.  

I think its insane this dude just decided to play football 6 months ago and he's out there making plays, many of the basketball players who converted to TE had some limited experience with football whether it be in high school or in college, not Sammi.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Maybe, but in the clip for Jarrett Patterson (a few posts above this), you can #80 block in the run game.  Only saw him block twice in that clip, but he either helped move a defender way out of the hole, or he drove his guy to the ground.  That level of physicality for run blocking out of a TE is something an NFL team would like.  If he continues to show that in the next 2 preseason games, somebody would want to poach him. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

Remember though, if someone picks him up off PS, they have to put them on their active roster. And I just don't see anyone wasting a roster spot on a guy who is sooo raw.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Remember though, if someone picks him up off PS, they have to put them on their active roster. And I just don't see anyone wasting a roster spot on a guy who is sooo raw.

I think part of the decision really comes down to who Rivera thinks this team is. If he thinks this is a building team, but not truly a contender then it's a lot more valuable to keep guys like Reyes and Patterson at the end of the roster. If you think you are close to winning it all then you risk potential for the temporary surer thing.

I think it's always a fine balance between grizzled back ups you can depend on and high potential guys who might really hurt the team if called on too early, but ultimately you see as significant contributors a few years down the road. For this season, if it's at all close, I go for the high potential guy for while I think we could be surprisingly good, I don't think we can get there if we max out. Therefore, I want the player who may be ready when the team is ready to run.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Borgold said:

I think part of the decision really comes down to who Rivera thinks this team is. If he thinks this is a building team, but not truly a contender then it's a lot more valuable to keep guys like Reyes and Patterson at the end of the roster. If you think you are close to winning it all then you risk potential for the temporary surer thing.

I think it's always a fine balance between grizzled back ups you can depend on and high potential guys who might really hurt the team if called on too early, but ultimately you see as significant contributors a few years down the road. For this season, if it's at all close, I go for the high potential guy for while I think we could be surprisingly good, I don't think we can get there if we max out. Therefore, I want the player who may be ready when the team is ready to run.

Totally agree with this.  Of course, my philosophy is to almost always fill the final spots with promising guys of ok vets (the exception being high quality STers).

I’d also argue that if Reyes was on the 53 and we sustained a TE injury, potentially forcing Reyes to play significant snaps before they think he’s ready, than you can always find a Hemingway/Seales-Jones/Yelder on the street (if you don’t have one on the PS).

• Like 3

There are teams who wouldn’t be above signing Reyes and then stashing him on IR. We might even do the same before the season starts. 

I really loved the physicality he showed when blocking. He’s still stiff and in his head but the two most important boxes were checked for me. Did he shrink or flourish when it came to physicality and could he get open and make a play? He was able to do both. The fluidity will hopefully come with repetition, Ron said something like it takes 5,000 reps for internalization to occur and instinct to take over. I can’t wait to see what he can do in a year and hopefully it’s with this team. 

• Like 4

I went into this expecting Sammy to be a PS member, but...

Reyes played multiple spots on S. Teams in the 2nd half

He is at least a willing blocker with room to develop

He didn't trip over himself in his 1st football game ever.

If Hemi continues to struggle as a blocker, and S-J only gives you a reliable pass catcher and nothing else (Teams or Blocking), then I am cool straight up giving the TE3 roster spot to Sammy rather than PS.

• Like 9

56 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

There are teams who wouldn’t be above signing Reyes and then stashing him on IR. We might even do the same before the season starts. 

I really loved the physicality he showed when blocking. He’s still stiff and in his head but the two most important boxes were checked for me. Did he shrink or flourish when it came to physicality and could he get open and make a play? He was able to do both. The fluidity will hopefully come with repetition, Ron said something like it takes 5,000 reps for internalization to occur and instinct to take over. I can’t wait to see what he can do in a year and hopefully it’s with this team. 

He's not injured, no IR.  A bad team that's not going anywhere will poach him.  Why not?

Edited by GothSkinsFan
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, FootballZombie said:

I went into this expecting Sammy to be a PS member, but...

Reyes played multiple spots on S. Teams in the 2nd half

He is at least a willing blocker with room to develop

He didn't trip over himself in his 1st football game ever.

If Hemi continues to struggle as a blocker, and S-J only gives you a reliable pass catcher and nothing else (Teams or Blocking), then I am cool straight up giving the TE3 roster spot to Sammy rather than PS.

Man that feels risky giving two of three TE spots to rookies.

2 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

Man that feels risky giving two of three TE spots to rookies.

Last year we had pre-breakout Logan Thomas who led the group w/ 35 career Recs, Marcus Baugh (0) and Jeremy Sprinkle (33) on the day 1 roster.

Rookie or not, I don't think they are shy about running TEs  with very little experience.

• Like 6

One thing I want to know is how nervous Reyes was. This wasn’t only his first preseason game, but his first time on a live football field (I think). That makes his debut even more impressive. 

He could have put a ton of pressure on himself and still managed to execute even if he did bobble a bit. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Barnes was one of the guys I pounded the table for in the draft thread.

13 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Reyes blocking and ST play is enough to give serious consideration to TE3.

His potential as a pass catcher damn near secures it. I think we'll see a lot of him in the next 2 PS games. 

I mentioned it at the time, he had a few nice plays too in the training camp practices I watched, they really had him go deep some times.   It surprised me some after hearing the stories about his raw he looked in minicamp.  He needs to improve his catching.  He bobbles the ball too much.  Saw that in camp, and of course in the first preseason game, too.  but the dude can move.   I mentioned I stayed in the same hotel as the team, he got into the elevator once with me.  The dude is mamouth.    He looks like an action movie star. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Barnes was one of the guys I pounded the table for in the draft thread.

I mentioned it at the time, he had a few nice plays too in the training camp practices I watched, they really had him go deep some times.   It surprised me some after hearing the stories about his raw he looked in minicamp.  He needs to improve his catching.  He bobbles the ball too much.  Saw that in camp, and of course in the first preseason game, too.  but the dude can move.   I mentioned I stayed in the same hotel as the team, he got into the elevator once with me.  The dude is mamouth.    He looks like an action movie star. 

I liked Barnes. I was high on Bolton, but no idea how he's doing. Would have been nice to grab Mac and Barnes.

Reyes potential is through the roof and for a guy that only just now started playing football, in his first game, I'm sold. I know other guys on the team have said he's the most athletic guy on the team.

TE3 for a guy who can block and play teams is fine, but is otherworldly upside makes him a lock. Im officially sold on Reyes.

• Like 8

8 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I'll also add this, I'm not convinced that Seals Jones or Hemingway are any less raw than Reyes.

If neither can block passably, let alone well, doesn't that make them "raw"?

This is where I am on the Reyes issue at the moment. What’s really the risk? If he ends up not being ready we just cut him and pick a guy like Seals-Jones or Hemingway back up. There are plenty of guys like that out there. Why not go with the higher ceiling and see if it works out?

If he had so far looked like a complete fish out of water that would be one thing. But he played half the game and not only didn’t embarrass himself, but he had a handful of real impact plays.

• Like 8