Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Roster Thread or similar ;)

KDawg

1 hour ago, Jumbo said:

wow, that's a harsh take on h-bomb, and as i've posted i'm not one who sees heinekie as any kind of answer as a quality long term starting qb 

I don't know what to make of Heinicke after training camp positive or negative.  I do like the fact that he seems self-aware as for what he needs to work on.  He seems to have a strong work ethic and desire to excel.

I didn't love noticing he stares at receivers (at least he did in camp), doesn't have much zip on his balls (but he throws with more zip than Colt McCoy did) and his accuracy while looked good was far from great -- with even Heinicke openly talking about his accuracy needs to improve when he throws to the left.

Sort of like Zach Wilson with the Jets, I think Heinicke's best skill is to make plays when the pocket breaks down.  that's tough to simulate in practice.  So for me I'd like to see him in preseason.  Obviously, I'd like to see him play against the 1's at times -- its not hard to look good against the 3's, etc.

1 hour ago, Jumbo said:

fitz is fun and great but is not even a top 20 qb, and not really that close to the guys in the top 10 imo (where of course we want our qb to be if we're going to win championships), but i hope mr. phillps view that there's a 'grand canyon' between h and fitz is a bit of hyperbole or it means that fitz is looking exceptionally good in this pre-season

I tend to be biased towards players I coveted in FA or the draft.  Fitz was the guy I wanted the most at QB if they went the FA route.  I've never been a big Fitz guy over his career.  He's been available before and I've never pushed him until this year.  But I do buy the narrative that he's playing his best ball late in his career.

What changed with me is seeing many of his games in Miami and I watched him when he played with Tampa and Miami versus our team in person.  I've was surprised and impressed by his play.    And I really didn't want to be :ols: because if anything over the years i was annoyed with the Fitzmagic narrative. 

Statistically speaking for the most part, Fitz has been middle of the pack in recent years.  QBR wise he's #7 in recent years.  Personally i think he's middle of the pack and the QBR stats inflate his play.   But can he come in the 2nd half of a game and outduel another middle of the pack type QB like Derrick Carr?  i think yes.  And he did so last season.  Is he going to outduel the big boys -- the top 10 guys.  Nope.  but as some at PFF like to say, he will on occasion outduel one of the big boys because when Fitz plays well --it can be very well. 

What gets me the most jazzed about him is his intangibles and smarts.  I don't think Alex played well last year.   He didn't move the ball much.  He threw more picks than TDs, etc.  Yet, they won when he played.  I am not as high as some here are on Alex but also not as low as some of his critics are.  I do think having a QB that can keep things calm in the huddle, knows the protections, and knows where every receiver is supposed to be brings major value to a young team like this.  Alex can do that.  So can Ryan. 

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-ryan-fitzpatrick-quarterback-washington-football-team-miami-dolphins-2021

Fitzpatrick is playing the best football of his career, and although that's nothing spectacular compared to top-notch signal-callers, Washington was smart in hitching its wagon to a player who should provide the team with capable starting quarterback play on a good roster.

Over the past three seasons, Fitzpatrick’s PFF grade ranks 15th in the NFL. He also has some of the highest single-game PFF grades in the league over that span, with three performances that earned 91.5-plus marks and more in the high 80s. Of course, the rollercoaster had its low points, as well, and he has had eight games grade in the 50s or below over those three seasons. It won’t always be smooth sailing, but Fitzpatrick should provide average play as a starter, which is a huge improvement over what the team had last season, even when Alex Smith was starting (and winning) games late in the season.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 5
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Gurgeh said:

I like our squad but I hate our schedule. Still, we have to find out who really can cut it when facing the best teams.

We have no idea if any of those teams will be good or not. Personally I think the Saints Packers and Seahawks are all gonna drop off this year.

1 hour ago, Florgon79 said:

I refuse to stay medium. I am full blown stupid about this team. I'm realistic, but ecstatic. 

Same, this team will be our best team in more than two decades IMO and there's no reason to curb your enthusiasm for them if you generally feel that way. 

1. It's a good roster

2. We are focused 

3. Practice and game day prep is much more structured

4. The organization has structure in the FO

Why hide the excitement? Dan sucks but this is the TANYA SNYDER era

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 3
  • Thumb up 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

Rivera dropped a fantastic quote as he was leaving his press conference. He said he was having a conversation with Michael Jordan when they were both playing in Chicago when the six-time NBA champion said, "If you watch when it comes down to clutch time, who comes to the ball hard?" It's indicative of the situation Rivera and the coaches will find themselves in during Thursday's game. There might not be anything flashy in the game plan, but they will be watching to see how the players are performing and, more importantly, who will step up in key moments

https://www.washingtonfootball.com/news/washington-football-training-camp-notebook-new-england-preseason

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Rivera dropped a fantastic quote as he was leaving his press conference. He said he was having a conversation with Michael Jordan when they were both playing in Chicago when the six-time NBA champion said, "If you watch when it comes down to clutch time, who comes to the ball hard?" It's indicative of the situation Rivera and the coaches will find themselves in during Thursday's game. There might not be anything flashy in the game plan, but they will be watching to see how the players are performing and, more importantly, who will step up in key moments

name-dropper.

• Haha 5

Yea, this is a measuring stick year. We overachieved expectations last year and very well with all the extracurricular stuff we had to deal with, but we've also taken a massive leap in the competition we're about to face so we truly get to figure out if our team and especially the defense is for real.

I think we will have a much more balanced team this season compared to last year, both in terms of roster and schematic range. We'll also have much more window dressing and pre snap disguises this year on both sides of the ball. Hopefully that should mitigate some of what QB's like Brady were able to do to us where they just picked us apart in the middle and attacked the gaps in our zone.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Meh, nothing Breer is reporting is out of the ordinary. I doubt just having bigger guys in the secondary will make that much of a difference though, unless they're also as talented as the group Quinn had in Seattle.

Joseph is a mean SOB. I do think they’re emphasizing size over skill. The Azuwies and Lewis ain’t gonna cut it.