Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to Washington Dyami Brown WR, UNC

PCS

10 hours ago, Burgold said:

I guess Humphries is only on a one year deal (and is more of a slot guy.) I'm guessing our ultimate vision is Terry and Dyami on the outside with Curtis in the slot?

It's also protection if Humphries misses time next year.

I hope he's fully recovered and won't have any future issues.

However being knocked  out multiple times from concussions and then continuing to play a contact sport like football is a risky proposition at best.

• Like 1

Gregg Rosenthal...

"UNC wideout Dyami Brown is a dynamic talent for a third-round pick. He's unlikely to produce like 2019 third-rounder Terry McLaurin, but I'm looking forward to seeing Ryan Fitzpatrick throw to a receiver group that also includes Curtis Samuel, Kelvin Harmon, Cam Sims and tight end Logan Thomas. This looks like the most fun Washington team to watch since I was in middle school. I'm now 42."

Agree with most of the above just not sure if Kelvin Harmon is a lock to start let alone make the team next year.

Edited by TrancesWithWolves
  • Like 5

From Brugler’s pre-draft analysis:

9. DYAMI BROWN | North Carolina 6005 | 189 lbs. | JR. Charlotte, N.C. (West Mecklenburg) 11/1/1999 (age 21.49) #2

BACKGROUND: Dyami (dee-AH-mee) Brown attended West Mecklenburg High School, which is located just west of downtown Charlotte. He saw immediate varsity reps as a freshman and split his time between multiple positions on offense, including quarterback. As a junior, Brown finished with 999 receiving yards and 14 touchdowns, adding 25 tackles and five interceptions at cornerback and a punt return touchdown on special teams. He led West Mecklenburg to the second round of the state 4A playoffs as a senior, finishing with 41 catches for 631 yards and 10 touchdowns in 2017, adding five rushing scores. Brown was also a standout on the track team in high school, setting personal bests in the 100 meters (10.78), 200 meters (21.85) and 400 meters (52.40).

A four-star recruit out of high school, Brown was the No. 8 athlete in the class and the No. 9 recruit in the state of North Carolina. He started to receive scholarship offers as a sophomore and collected several high-profile offers from programs like Alabama, Florida and Ohio State. Brown narrowed his choice to North Carolina and Virginia Tech, committing to the Tar Heels. His younger brother (Khafre) is a rising redshirt sophomore receiver at North Carolina (head coach Mack Brown: “They’re probably the fastest two players on our team.”). His mother (Tamiko Patterson) ran track at Christopher Newport University and won the 1997 NCAA Division III indoor track national championship in the triple-jump and long jump and finished third in the 55-meter dash. Brown elected to skip the bowl game and leave school early for the 2021 NFL Draft.

YEAR (GP/GS)
2018: (10/6) 2019: (13/13) 2020: (11/11) Total: (34/30)
REC YDS AVG
TD NOTES
 17 173 10.2 1
51 1,034 20.3 12 Third Team All-ACC; Tied single-season school-record for receiving TDs (12); Led team in receiving yards and TDs 55 1,099 20.0 8 First Team All-ACC; Led ACC in receiving yards
123 2,306 18.7 21

HT WT ARM HAND WING 40-YD 20-YD 10-YD VJ BJ SS 3C BP COMBINE N/A (Combine canceled)
PRO DAY

6005 189 32 3/4 9 5/8 77 1/4 4.44 2.61 1.57 35 1/2 10’8” 4.35 6.85 18

STRENGTHS: Speedy acceleration...double-move aficionado, using body jabs or hesitation to force corners to settle their feet...quick releases and out of his breaks, separating with burst off his plant foot...big-play creator (five receptions of 50-plus yards in 2020)...athletic catch-and-go target...fluid adjustment skills and throws behind him or above his eye level don’t bother him...attacks the ball with his hands...improved timing and feel as a route-runner...flashes some toughness as a YAC threat...reliable effort as a blocker...productive career as the only player in school history with multiple 1,000-yard receiving seasons and the only player with multiple 200-yard receiving games...no stranger to the end zone with his 21 career receiving touchdowns the second-most in North Carolina history.

WEAKNESSES: Ordinary size and play strength for the position...physical corners will get him uncomfortable...too many focus drops on his film (combined 15 drops the last two seasons)...inconsistent tracking skills on deep shots, occasionally slowing when he should be running through the pass...too much bend on digs and out routes and has room to sharpen his footwork...will be flagged for pushing off before the ball arrives.
 [45]

SUMMARY: A two-year starter at North Carolina, Brown lined up at left wide receiver in offensive coordinator Phil Longo’s scheme, establishing himself as the offense’s go-to downfield threat. The only player in school history with multiple 1,000-yard receiving seasons, he averaged over 20.0 yards per catch the last two years and his 18.7 career average is second-best in program history. An above average athlete, Brown has excellent one-cut acceleration and separation quickness, and he is highly skilled at the double-move (head jab, quick settling of his feet, etc.). Some scouts have questioned whether he has the play strength to make a living on the outside vs. NFL corners. Overall, Brown isn’t as reliable (yet) as Stefon Diggs, but he has similar size, speed and fluid adjustment skills. He projects as a starting-level NFL receiver with the big-play ability to rack up touchdowns.

GRADE: 2nd-3rd Round (No. 58 overall)

• Like 1

On 5/1/2021 at 6:20 AM, KDawg said:

Terry, Dyami, Samuel can all play boundary or slot. I’d also surmise that the intent is that Dyami is WR3. Humphries will be in the mix some as well. 

This is exactly where I am. Our best lineup is McLaurin and Dyami outside and Samuel in the slot. Humphries WR4. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I’ve seen the comp here before but Dyami Brown occupies the same space in my head as Stefon Diggs coming out

If he can perform at even 50-75% of Diggs production that’s a big win for us

also Dyami Brown, like Stefon Diggs, is just a sick WR name there’s no way he isn’t good 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, redskinss said:

This guy may not burn up the stopwatch but he definitely has football speed.

Over and over you could see him shift gears and walk away from the defender.

Very excited about this pick!

The Stefon Diggs comp alone is very exciting. Diggs is one of the most dangerous WR's in the league. 

• Like 1

The guy Al Galdi had on his podcast (Thor something or other) wasn’t that high on Brown.  Said they got him at a decent place, but didn’t agree with a second round grade that the consensus gave him.  Basically said the PFF guy who rated him was flat wrong, especially about drops and contested catches.

9 hours ago, Ball Security said:

The guy Al Galdi had on his podcast (Thor something or other) wasn’t that high on Brown.  Said they got him at a decent place, but didn’t agree with a second round grade that the consensus gave him.  Basically said the PFF guy who rated him was flat wrong, especially about drops and contested catches.

I think Thor is wrong. 

Brown is awesome. Pop on some of the games they played and watch this dude work. He’s not a perfect prospect. Just like every other dude taken in the draft.

• Thanks 1

Diggs won me my season long FF league last year so love the comp. But lets see that route tree expanded, firm up his blocking and find a spot for him on teams. Same stuff different year for a young WR. I am encouraged we have moved beyond seemingly always having to have any WR we draft stand on the sideline for 2 years.

Something about Brown's game is familiar. A number of scouts etc have talked about Route pacing and acceleration. Brown can look like he is going full speed and put on a sudden burst that gives him a lot of separation. It reminds me a little of Santana Moss, who used to look covered and then find a sudden burst while the ball was in the air to gain to gain a yard or two. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Something about Brown's game is familiar. A number of scouts etc have talked about Route pacing and acceleration. Brown can look like he is going full speed and put on a sudden burst that gives him a lot of separation. It reminds me a little of Santana Moss, who used to look covered and then find a sudden burst while the ball was in the air to gain to gain a yard or two. 

Great "catch". When a WR knows a corner can run with them, he may be making his catch harder by killing himself to be at full speed the entire route. It's better to change speeds and shake those tight corners but not all can do it. The ability to change speeds especially for those that can downshift for a burst can create separation on the fly when he is otherwise covered.  I loved seeing the Tana burst. We kill ourselves drooling over 40 times but their acceleration from different speeds is rarely discussed and never quantified.  When I first saw Browns tape he always seemed pretty well covered for a speedy WR but now think he is often using that change of gears.

Edited by RandyHolt

1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

Great "catch". When a WR knows a corner can run with them, he may be making his catch harder by killing himself to be at full speed the entire route. It's better to change speeds and shake those tight corners but not all can do it. The ability to change speeds especially for those that can downshift for a burst can create separation on the fly when he is otherwise covered.  I loved seeing the Tana burst. We kill ourselves drooling over 40 times but their acceleration from different speeds is rarely discussed and never quantified.  When I first saw Browns tape he always seemed pretty well covered for a speedy WR but now think he is often using that change of gears.

That's one thing that kind of concerned me with Brown, he didn't seem to shake a lot of DBs loose and got caught from behind a lot. So many of his catches seemed like they were contested, but he has good body control. 

Hes an odd watch because if you throw on tape from someone like Aiyuk who runs a slower 40, he's almost never caught from behind running at full sprint. Brown? Seemed like any CB could catch him. His top end speed is not as advertised IMO, but his acceleration is awesome. 

I don't get the Terry McLaurin comparison lol. He is much much faster than Brown.

Edited by Burgundy Yoda

58 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

That's one thing that kind of concerned me with Brown, he didn't seem to shake a lot of DBs loose and got caught from behind a lot. So many of his catches seemed like they were contested, but he has good body control. 

Hes an odd watch because if you throw on tape from someone like Aiyuk who runs a slower 40, he's almost never caught from behind running at full sprint. Brown? Seemed like any CB could catch him. His top end speed is not as advertised IMO, but his acceleration is awesome. 

I don't get the Terry McLaurin comparison lol. He is much much faster than Brown.

Spot on. I am glad to see someone else comment on the CBs on top of him his entire route.  Yep it appears he has that contested catch thing going on, able to adjust to the ball in the air, separate at the key moment, whatever it is. 

The TMC comparison is a prayer born largely because of their draft position IMO.  We can only expect that to happen to us once in our lifetimes e.g. good on teams --> superstar

Edited by RandyHolt

22 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Spot on. I am glad to see someone else comment on the CBs on top of him his entire route.  Yep it appears he has that contested catch thing going on, able to adjust to the ball in the air, separate at the key moment, whatever it is. 

The TMC comparison is a prayer born largely because of their draft position IMO.  We can only expect that to happen to us once in our lifetimes e.g. good on teams --> superstar

He kind of reminds me of Darius Slayton. 

He reminds me of McLaurin as much as anyone else.  I think he's got a chance to be productive as a rookie because he's already pretty thick and has upper body strength.  The trait that jumps out the most to me is his ability to concentrate and play through contact and adjust to the ball in flight.  He's got good speed to keep corners playing back and wary, and it looks like he's got a solid release game against the teams who were aggressive enough to press him.  It didn't seem like he's got a lot of after the catch juice, but hopefully Samuel can provide that to our passing game.  I also heard that his hands are up and down, which could be the thing that hurts him most in the NFL.  Hopefully he can develop more consistency there.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

He reminds me of McLaurin as much as anyone else.  I think he's got a chance to be productive as a rookie because he's already pretty thick and has upper body strength.  The trait that jumps out the most to me is his ability to concentrate and play through contact and adjust to the ball in flight.  He's got good speed to keep corners playing back and wary, and it looks like he's got a solid release game against the teams who were aggressive enough to press him.  It didn't seem like he's got a lot of after the catch juice, but hopefully Samuel can provide that to our passing game.  I also heard that his hands are up and down, which could be the thing that hurts him most in the NFL.  Hopefully he can develop more consistency there.

Agree. I think he is a deep threat possession guy. Whereas he will haul the ball in but he isn’t a game breaker speed wise. He’ll make the catch and get what is there and that’s his game. He’ll also catch a few passes underneath as well as a possession type guy. His speed is good enough to get open but otherwise he’s more control.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I see Terry in him.  Terry has better top end speed, but other than that, they are very similar athletes.  Similar strength and thickness for their height, and both benched 18 reps.  Similar verts and broad jumps.  And their 10 yard and 20 yard splits are almost the same.  Similar short stride but maybe Dyami is a little bit more of a short strider.  Similar build up speed, although Terry pulls away from him in the end.  I think they have a similar tough-guy style too where they don't do a lot of dancing after the catch, just kind of pick an angle, lean forward and go.  One worrying similarity I see between them is that their biomechanics can be a little awkward (legs flying up as they adjust for contact/catches and such) and they tend to get hit hard, which makes me think they're going to get nicked up over the course of 17 game seasons.  Really strengthens the case for needing offensive skill talent depth.

The big difference is that Terry's hands are pretty good and reliable, whereas the main knock on Dyami seems to be that his hands were unreliable.

• Like 2