Height
6' 6"
Weight
314 lbs
Arms
33"
Hands
10 1/4"

Cosmi (pronounced KOZ-mee) redshirted in his first year with the Longhorns as he tried to add to his 260-pound frame. He started 13 of 14 games played at right tackle in 2018 and received Freshman All-American accolades. The departure of Calvin Anderson opened a spot for Cosmi at left tackle in 2019. He took advantage, garnering second-team All-Big 12 honors as a 13-game starter. He also had a touchdown catch against West Virginia. In 2020, Cosmi started the first eight games at left tackle before opting out of the remainder of the season.

Strengths
  • Three-year starter.
  • Excellent bend and flexibility.
  • Leverage and hand strength to stick and sustain on inside zone.
  • Looks great in space and moves like a big tight end.
  • Alters speeds to stalk and strike on second and third levels.
  • Athletic tools to find his way in pro rushing attack.
  • Above-average foot agility on inside slide.
  • Hands are quiet and punch-ready.
  • Showed better play strength in 2020.
  • Hand fighting has been refined over the years.
  • Decent job of flat-backing through his punch.
Weaknesses
  • Average fire off the ball and into his block.
  • Asked to do a lot of basic wall-off blocking.
  • Too segmented in climbing on work-up blocks.
  • Not a people mover or consistent finisher as drive blocker.
  • Lets his balance get away from him in recovery mode.
  • Relies on upper-body strength over positioning to secure reach blocks.
  • Leaves arms and hands out too long for rushers to attack.
  • Would benefit from more varied pass-set approach.
  • Mechanical pass sets will be tested against NFL rush technicians.

https://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2010

twilliams.php

• Thanks 1

With Cosmi at tackle-eligible, goal-to-go inside the(ir)* 5 is going to be tight.  Cosmi, Thomas, Bates, Seals-Jones, Reyes, toss it up there or QB sneak.

*You know some smartazz is gonna say "could be g-t-g from inside our 5" .

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Ouch. That didn't age well. 

Particularly with respect to some of the weaknesses enumerated:

• Lacks a nasty demeanor
  • Not very physical in run game

The man was in a barfight with a bicycle gang at the pro bowl in Honolulu years ago and gets smashed over the head with a magnum of Moet.

Trent just smiles unfazed slowly turns around and proceeds to lift the guy over his head like he's a sack of potatoes about to be tossed in his pickup truck, then in either a moment of mercy or an attempt to avoid a potential lawsuit he puts him down and gently says-- "Now don't try that again."

The guy says thanks and quickly skampers off to the rest room to change his underwear.

Not tough or physical? Yeah, right.

Edited by TrancesWithWolves
  • Haha 1

Cosmi looks the part.  He's just gotta bring it every play.  I'm excited for what he can contribute to the Team.  I like the fact that this is Matsko's hand picked guy.

76 seems like a tough sob.  To cut an established reliable ok vet like Moses, and bring in your guy, takes conviction.  

Hope this guy puts it all together and plays great.

Edited by COWBOY-KILLA-
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

Cosmi looks the part.  He's just gotta bring it every play.  I'm excited for what he can bring to the table.  I like the fact that this is Matsko's hand picked guy.  Cosmi seems like a tough sob.

I was sold when he unapologetically took Moses's number and locker the day after he got cut.

Dude's got a serious pair. And in life sometimes that's all it takes both to breed and succeed.

"Private Joker is silly and he's ignorant, but he's got guts, and guts is enough.." Full Metal Jacjet

• Like 4

5 hours ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

Cosmi looks the part.  He's just gotta bring it every play.  I'm excited for what he can contribute to the Team.  I like the fact that this is Matsko's hand picked guy.

76 seems like a tough sob.  To cut an established reliable ok vet like Moses, and bring in your guy, takes conviction.  

Hope this guy puts it all together and plays great.

Man, if he ends up playing RT and he's a Matsko pick, I can imagine what next year's pick will be at LT. Because rest assured they are going to get the generational one next year if Cosmi is not Neo (Matrix reference for those inside of it).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, joeken24 said:

...if Cosmi is not Neo (Matrix reference for those inside of it).

That parenthetical is one viciously clever epigram.

My compliments to the chef.

image.gif.8cc5264a148674490e88b1f21c0c6068.gif

A random lesson from Bruce Lee: Bow to show sincere respect but do so while in a combat stance and always keep your eyes open and focused at your opponent because in the game of life anyone can become an opponent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

This may have been said already. But Brandon Scherff's reference to Cosmi's dead lifting episode is intriguing. I wonder what actually happened? So Wes was able to deadlift 765. I'm assuming Cosmi must have killed that to make Brandon react the way he did. Particularly to the media. It must have been some ridiculous weight. 

Either way, this kid must be strong as hell. You confluence that with speed, a 6'7 frame, and an attitude. ****, it might be some a dem pancakes we like on Sunday mornins.

Can't wait to see training camp because these linemen are going to get the top talent this league has to offer. Iron sharpening iron for sure.

https://washingtonfootballwire.usatoday.com/2021/05/14/watch-washington-offensive-lineman-deadlifts-765-pounds-wes-schweitzer-football-team-free-agent-signing/

• Like 4

I'm actually kinda curious in general what kind of numbers most of the OL guys work with for deadlift and squat.

Not raw numbers cause that will vary, but more like RPE and programming type.

They're not competitive power lifters so not any real need to try and work up to ludicrous 1RMs. Just need to get very strong and stay that way...no need to risk injury by chasing records or anything. 

Edited by mistertim

5 hours ago, mistertim said:

I'm actually kinda curious in general what kind of numbers most of the OL guys work with for deadlift and squat.

Not raw numbers cause that will vary, but more like RPE and programming type.

They're not competitive power lifters so not any real need to try and work up to ludicrous 1RMs. Just need to get very strong and stay that way...no need to risk injury by chasing records or anything. 

I've heard from guys like Joe Thomas and in other videos of guys deadlifting.  Nobody in the NFL does conventional straight bar and pull from ground.  Risk of injury is greater there, and since millions are invested in each guy, nobody can do it.

Joe Thomas said his first ever power lifting deadlift was after he retired.

So Wes is in year 2 of his 3 year deal. He did a pretty good job last year. But the fact that he was brought in by this regime says they are looking to either upgrade that position or just obtain solid depth. This is truly the first year since I've been a fan of this team (fan class of '96) that I've seen an offensive line like this. There are literally 6 guys I would consider starting material. And that's not including the obvious RG and Center positions. Now according to PFF, this offensive line was ranked 6th in the NFL last year. I'm sure much of that (if true) had to do with staying fairly healthy, Alex's style of getting the ball out and Turners ability to get his RB out in space in the run and pass game. This year we have a QB that can get the ball out quick with solid knowledge and experience in the offense. But this QB will have the luxury of playing with a crew of wideouts that can get open faster and possibly create YAC. Along with that, they have RBs with WR speed. In years past, when the QB got sacked, I'd immediately think it was a result of the QB holding the ball too long, the WRs sucked and couldn't create separation, or the O-line sucked. This year, I am thinking sacks will more often come if the defensive linemen just flat out won (which can happen from time to time). That's a better feeling than the hopeless feeling I would get when we had turn style linemen and poor QB play. Another thing to consider is the ability to max protect when you have playmakers at the wideout position running concepts like this scissor concept below. I'm actually wondering what player I'd put in the slot for the hot read? (McKissic, AG, Curtis??, doesn't matter because a decision needs to be made by the corner and safety....1 on 1 either way). Is Brown running my clear out route? Could he win? I'd say so against the safety if the corner stays in zone. With good O-line play, I really think we'll be seeing more of these concepts where pressure is placed on the defense. There is so much Turner could do with this concept alone. This could be an easy pass play that acts as a run on 1st or 2nd down. Endless possibilities when you have speed.

Additional thought while I'm talking line: The only defense I am particular concerned with is Todd Bowles defense. If sacks occur in that game, it will be scheme more than our offensive line prowess. Hopefully Fitz has enough time against his defense to shift the pre-snap guess work in WFT's favor.

scissor.thumb.JPG.5f111dab573eca31cbb448177bd33a70.JPG

Ironically I am re-watching the Cleveland game. Haskins actually makes a good read and hits the primary (in this case Terry). The play wasn't the exact route concept (no deep post/corner route on the right side). But the clear out route and quick route is definitely a good play to create positive yards on 1st and 2nd down. Especially if you are lucky enough to have your slot matched up with a linebacker or a lessor athlete. I think we'll have that luxury this year with the guys I mentioned above. 

This is what I'm talking about.....

Edited by joeken24
add
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...

That's right, OL highlights! Sway21 seems to put out the most content on our team on YouTube. I was surprised to find Sam Cosmi highlights from our last preseason game. He looks pretty good out there right?

Flowers looks like an absolute monster in this as well. No idea who should start between him or Schwes, that's a close one. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

4 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

That's right, OL highlights! Sway21 seems to put out the most content on our team on YouTube. I was surprised to find Sam Cosmi highlights from our last preseason game. He looks pretty good out there right?

Flowers looks like an absolute monster in this as well. No idea who should start between him or Schwes, that's a close one. 

I’m really pleased with Cosmi.  As for LG, I’ll make the decision for you, FLOWERS, FLOWERS, FLOWERS.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

For the second straight week Cosmi has done a consistent job of using the olinemen beside him to help minimize the effectiveness of his own rusher, without the help of the other lineman.

Just purely utilizing the available space, and limiting the options of his opponent.

Kids spacial awareness might be special.

• Like 5

https://markbullock.substack.com/p/sam-cosmi-shows-improved-technique?r=fd8sn&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web&utm_source=copy

Another good Bullock breakdown, this is on cosmi. 

My own eyes tell me Dyami is an NFL wr, football people seem to be happy with cosmi and juice also. Wow nice to have things looking like that with the draft class, and thats just the first 3 round. 

Edited by XxSpearheadxX
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2