Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to Washington Jamin Davis LB Kentucky

PCS

11 hours ago, jsharrin55 said:

If he got 0 tackles this year and forced an extra .2-.3 seconds on some throws we would likely see a bunch more sacks this year as many times we just missed before a dump off.  

I fully expect big plays too but would be plenty happy if he just made the QBs hold the ball a little bit longer.  

Yeah that is exactly why I liked this play so much. In a real game, the QB either throws it and he picks it/blows the RB up, or the QB hesitates like this game and one of our DL get a sack. His impact won't always be noticeable to the naked eye but he can do his job to allow his teammates to excel. 

On 8/21/2021 at 10:48 AM, redskinss said:

I liked your post and agree with most of it but I'm not sure weight/strength is a problem.

I don't think I'd want a guy we're counting on to be fast and cover tight ends and running backs to get any bigger than this.

True he isn't a small guy, but more lower body strength and 5 to 10 lbs would make a HUGE difference when dealing with 6'4 300 lbs olinemen trying to block him. I doubt we ask him to change his physique rather than just continue developing like all professionals do. NFL strength is different and he's still adjusting to it.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Man I just rewatched the last game and he really was picking things up faster than last week. Still needs to get a little better navigating traffic in the middle, but his coverage... oh man the way he shuts down bail out throws by QBs.  When we play bad QBs I predict Jamin is going to get at least one pick 6 from crashing the flat when a  QB tries to dump it off because they are under pressure. One of those times Jamin is going to surprise the QB with his speed and fluidity snag that pass. Its going to happen at least once. 

I mean even beyond jumping the flat he legitimately could play nickel on our team, that's how good he shadows recievers. 

Edited by XxSpearheadxX
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

Man I just rewatched the last game and he really was picking things up faster than last week. Still needs to get a little better navigating traffic in the middle, but his coverage... oh man the way he shuts down bail out throws by QBs.  When we play bad QBs I predict Jamin is going to get at least one pick 6 from crashing the flat when a  QB tries to dump it off because they are under pressure. One of those times Jamin is going to surprise the QB with his speed and fluidity snag that pass. Its going to happen at least once. 

I mean even beyond jumping the flat he legitimately could play nickel on our team, that's how good he shadows recievers. 

Having him and Collins back there is going to shut a ton of **** down for opposing offenses this year.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Micah Parsons has guessed wrong on just about every read in the first half of this game. He's an amazing athlete, but the transition to MLB in the NFL is no joke.

It'll be fun to see Jamin develop this year. I expect similar moments from him, but I have a suspicion he will correct his mistakes faster than the other young linebackers.

Edited by IrepDC
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

Micah Parsons has guessed wrong on just about every read in the first half of this game. He's an amazing athlete, but the transition to MLB in the NFL is no joke.

It'll be fun to see Jamin develop this year. I expect similar moments from him, but I have a suspicion he will correct his mistakes faster than the other young linebackers.

Parsons shouldn't be a MLB though. That's a coaching fail. He needs to play on the edge and just roam free and let him rush the passer on 3rd downs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Parsons shouldn't be a MLB though. That's a coaching fail. He needs to play on the edge and just roam free and let him rush the passer on 3rd downs.

They moved him around. He did rush the edge some. When playing MLB though, Brady gave him an appropriate welcome to the NFL. That's not a huge surprise, but it was amusing to see. 

There were plays where Brady had Parsons fly to the LOS off play action, only to drop it off right behind him(first TD of the game was one of these plays). On another play, he had Parsons take a slow read step backwards into coverage(like a FS in cover 4), on a play that was actually a run up the middle. He had him doing the cha cha slide instead of read steps. I expect Parsons to improve, and he did make some flashes. The growing pains of a rookie were just on display.

This is Brady though, and he's who he is. Tonight was an easy example to point to the struggles of transitioning to such a mental position on the field. The mind games are at a max with Brady, and I enjoyed how he broke down Dallas' defense. All rookies get picked on to some extent when they're initiated.

Jamin to me will end up being used how Tampa uses Devin White in the middle. He has that type of athleticism and he seems like he has the mental makeup to be that kind of player. White played a great game tonight and was used to his skillset(flying around in run support, exotic blitzes, and coverage on the RB/flats). Jamin could develop into a similar role.

Edited by IrepDC
  • Like 2

Jamin started at MLB in our 4-3 package, but he was rarely used in our 4-2-5 nickel packages. We ran our nickel the majority of the game so he wasn't on the field as much. 

When he was on the field, he looked like an NFL linebacker. The bar is low on our roster,, admittedly, but he was our best coverage LB and he made the best run stops from our LBs. His best play was one of the few plays we used him instead of Bostic in our nickel package.

In image 1 you see him getting a good downhill read step on the run play. In image 2 you see the athleticism getting to the ball downhill. You also might not have noticed Jonathan Allen destroy his man causing traffic for #70 trying to reach Jamin. Image 3 you see Jamin's speed used to shoot the gap and tackle the RB in the backfield. It was a good play and tackle for a loss that would have gotten more attention if Jamin was a showboat. All he did today was get back to the huddle for the next play. He should start over Bostic in every package rotation going forward. 

20210913_042316.jpg

20210913_042338.jpg

20210913_042409.jpg

• Like 5

But he has such a nice aesthetic figure 🤦‍♂️ .

He doesn’t play aggressive or with assertiveness. He’s more lean than football strong IMO.

He’s going to get pushed around often, unless he figures out away to avoid contact. 

His bigger up top than in his legs, push him and he’ll get off balance.

11 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I never want to see Bostic in coverage ever again

This is the 3rd year we have been posting this. When Riverboat stated they needed to upgrade at LB I was certain Bostic would be gone. 

I have faith Jamin will improve a lot over this season as he gets his reps

Edited by DWinzit

Here is a quick example of the difference between Jamin in coverage vs our other LBs. In this play, Jamin has a basic hook to curl zone in the middle. Bostic was getting torched when he had this responsibility all game. Here's why:

In image 1, you see the pre snap alignment. Jamin is in where Bostic played the majority of the game.

In image 2, you see Jamin has identified a pass play and is actually dropping in his zone towards the nearest threats. Bostic and Holcolmb usually sit flat when this is their assignment while a receiver runs free behind them.

In image 3, you see just how much depth Jamin gets. His nearest threats kept getting deeper so he adjusted his drop to match them. Reiterating here our other LBs never seem to do this. He's our best coverage LB already.

He will take lumps like any rookie LB so hopefully he just ignores the chatter and keeps working. 

20210914_003723.jpg

20210914_003753.jpg

20210914_004041.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Isn't Jamin lined up wrong here?  LG has an easy time walling off backside pursuit.

Looks like a bit of a chess match between the coordinators. Our defense stacked the strong side of the offense, taking away their leverage, so LA brings a motion in that direction to get us overcommitted, then counters back weak side where they now have leverage.

That OC comes from the Sean Payton tree, and you could tell he's got that same type of intentional and creative offense. He had an awesome gameplan and clearly studied all of our defenses tendencies. 

• Like 2