Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I think he's going to be "ok" but I think they're going to have to draft somebody else soon.  

Btw, I was against trading up to get Jones last year for the same reason.  I was also against spending what it would take to trade up to 8 to get Fields.  We'll see what Fields does going forward.  

I do think Jones is going to get better though. Not hugely better, but better.  

For the record, I was the same about Mac but wished we had dealt what it would take to move up for Fields. I'm over that now with Wentz/Dotson in the building with the pieces it probably would have taken. But I'm still in on Fields developing, he flashed last year. 

Just now, DWinzit said:

Mine too. Stinks the round ended with Dax and Cine coming off the board. It is a long way to 47

I don't know the medicals on Dean but if its nothing really bad, it would be really interesting if he falls to that spot.  The RBs I covet but I suspect they might be gone. 

If they traded back a little, i wouldn't hate McBride

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I think he's going to be "ok" but I think they're going to have to draft somebody else soon.  

Btw, I was against trading up to get Jones last year for the same reason.  I was also against spending what it would take to trade up to 8 to get Fields.  We'll see what Fields does going forward.  

I do think Jones is going to get better though. Not hugely better, but better.  

At least Fields had upside.  He stinks way worse but at least he won’t squat on the position for 5 years.  Give me that every time and be ready to move on quickly when they bust like the Cards did with Rosen.

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't know the medicals on Dean but if its nothing really bad, it would be really interesting if he falls to that spot.  The RBs I covet but I suspect they might be gone. 

It's his athletic testing IMO. Hard to tell how far he'll fall, but is he Navarro Bowman?

1 minute ago, China said:

According to whatever grading metrics they use I see the WFT had the sixth best OLine in the league last year.  Which seems weird to me because the gave up the 10th most sacks, and had only middle of the pack rushing yards per carry at 4.3 (ranking 15th). 

Galdi had the stats guy who actually helped come up with ESPN's QBR metric on (so he's an analytics guy) his podcast.

And he said that the thing they have learned since they put the QBR statistic together about 12 years ago is sacks are more of a QB stat than an OL stat.  

We had a QB who walked into sacks last year.  

And we had a RB who's more of a WR, and consistently missed holes.  He did get better throughout the year.  

The "eye test" says the OL was at worst OK, and more probably "good."

Analytically, if you look at win rate and other OL stats, they rank high.

For whatever reason, I think a lot of our fans just have come to assume the OL is bad because because it was neglected for so long.  Though, interestingly, for basically 2 decades, we've had stud LTs (Samuels then Trent), and other significant contributors.  Though Jay had a weird fascination with Luavao who he kept saying was good, and he wasn't, but that's a different story.

Anyway, I don't think the OL is as big a problem as some others, though they need to keep throwing mid-round picks at it every year, because that's good for business.  

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sounds like they aren't done on the weapons front

Translation: We're going after a RB.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I was thinking similar if the other Hyb/BN's worthy at 47 are gone as well as  Walker/Hall the only other weapon worthy at 47 would be McBride

The other thing I could see creeping into their mind which I do not want in the 2nd round......QB like Ridder or Howell

Remember when many people thought Washington had to TRADE UP to get a QB? Remember when people thought Malik Willis was a first round pick, maybe even a top 10 pick? Maybe even going #2 to Detroit? Remember when something like 5 QBs were going to go in the first round? Yeah, when people said this year's draft sucked at QB they were not kidding. Some people just don't listen.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, China said:

Probably not the place for this discussion, but since there are no more picks for the Commanders today...

According to whatever grading metrics they use I see the WFT had the sixth best OLine in the league last year.  Which seems weird to me because the gave up the 10th most sacks, and had only middle of the pack rushing yards per carry at 4.3 (ranking 15th). 

Delving deeper, this latter stat comes despite a 75% win rate in run blocking (best in the league) according to ESPN's analytics.  Also Taylor Heineke had the 4th best (longest) time in the pocket (tied with 7 other players) at 2.5 seconds per drop-back.

So, perhaps you are right and the problem is not in the OLine, but in the running backs and QB.

But I think we are agreed that OLine should not be neglected.  

Definitely, always a good idea to continue to reinforce the OL at every reasonable opportunity. I just think we're in a position where we can do that in the mid rounds and develop them, as we've recently had success doing. 

And yeah, Heinicke's pocket presence and Gibson's vision was basically the problem last year. There's definitely a reason a lot of people in here wanted upgrades to both positions this offseason. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I have no idea what this reference is but it made me laugh. 

lol just very old celtic myth type stuff about saying a creature's name 3 times to summon or bind it. 🤓 Kind of a fantasy trope nowadays 

Dotson's wingspan is bigger than Olave.  His vertical better.  36 versus Olave at 32.  His PFF grade versus man coverage beat Olave by a good margin.  He had the best catch rate among the receivers in this class -- 3 times better than Olave. 

More yards than Olave, more deep yards/deep catches than Olave.   PFF swears by their yards per route metric.  Dotson beats Olave on that too.

I bring that up because some comp the two players.  I can see the argument either way but Dotson is no scrub.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3
  • Thumb up 2

Also pointing out that if Washington goes RB at pick 47, it will be the highest drafted RB the team has taken in nearly 30 years (Reggie Brooks went #45 in 1993). It will also be only the second time the team has taken a running back in the first 55 picks since 1967 (again, Brooks being the other time). That's a pretty extreme draft drought at RB.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jericho said:

Also pointing out that if Washington goes RB at pick 47, it will be the highest drafted RB the team has taken in nearly 30 years (Reggie Brooks went #45 in 1993). It will also be only the second time the team has taken a running back in the first 55 picks since 1967 (again, Brooks being the other time). That's a pretty extreme draft drought at RB.

And Brooks was crappy reach selection

• Haha 1

On a personal note, somewhere during the night, I past 30,000 posts on this here message board.  

I rank the achievements in my life thusly:

1. Finding a woman who would be willing to marry me.

2. Convincing that woman to marry me.

3. Convincing the same woman to stay with me while I wasted an inordinate amount of time, proof being 30,000 posts, (and as everybody knows, I'm not brief, ever,) discussing a bad team online with a bunch of similarly brainwashed doofuses.  

4. College, career, kids, blah blah blah...

However, tonight, she's on a business trip so after I got the kids down, I was free to do whatever I wanted.  I think it's telling I chose to spend it with you nimrods. Sigh, oh well.  It is what it is. 

:P

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Jericho said:

To be fair we spent a 2nd and an All-Pro CB to acquire Portis, so that kind of counts. But yeah