Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

38 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

People don't want to hear this, but there is a decent chance that QB is the overwhelming BPA today.  Four first round or fringe first round caliber guys still left, and not many teams that still need to fill the job.  If Ridder or Corral are still sitting there, it's super tempting to pick them.

Yep I’ve mentioned this earlier today. I could seeRon being very tempted if Ridder is there at 47. Very tempted.

Edited by Est.1974

20 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Feels like everyone turned on Corral at some point before the draft.  I thought this board had him as our consensus QB1 when I polled the thread.  It was either him or Willis by like a single vote.  Then all of a sudden everyone dropped him and now I'm one of the only ones left who still had him highly ranked.  Just me and @Skinsinparadise it feels like.  I didn't revisit my QB takes after we traded for Wentz.  What happened?  To my eye he's the best RPO operator of the class and that fits well into the kind of run game we want.  Arm is pretty dynamic.  

I've got Howell 39 on my board, I would consider him a fairly significant value pick of +8.  The rules of BPA are different for QBs, but not entirely so.  I prefer Willis, Corral, and Ridder, but if Howell was the pick, that would be pretty exciting.  It's the kind of pick that seems wasteful right now when we're all picturing ideal outcomes with Wentz, that comes back and saves everyone's job when Wentz crashes and burns.

I also think this was a bizarre, quirky off-season for QB movement and drafting where the caliber of QB prospects available in the second round is probably not going to be this good again for a long time.  I liked Davis Mills and Kyle Trask more than most last year, but they were not as good of prospects as any of the four QBs still on the board right now.  Mills had the potential to be a high level prospect, but coming into last year's draft his resume really sucked.  A guy like Howell who has so many high level seasons of starting experience and had a first round type pedigree doesn't usually drop to 47 most years.

I think we can get a first round talent with a second round pick in a unique and fleeting window.   But I also get the point that we need to give Wentz a serious shot.  I am so tired of QB controversies anyway.  Ron and company need to get married to a QB and picking such a high upside back up to breathe down Carson's neck feels exactly like what facilitated his failure in Philly and led to their coaches getting fired.

Then again Wentz does get hurt...  His style of play is so rugged that he will always have the specter of injury hanging over him.

Tough call and I'm glad I don't have to make it.  Kind of hope there is a QB run before our pick so we don't have to be haunted by passing over any of these guys at 47.

Character concerns about maturity and how he’d handle money and Wonderlic. Wonderlic is archaic as a whole, agree with you. But QBs and OTs it has a weight.

I am not against a QB. It’s not all that sexy. But following my board it’s Howell, Ridder in that order. 

I’d say Howell, Willis but there’s zero shot he’s sitting there at 47. And I think Howell is better but the upside / value of Willis at 47 is almost a no brainer. But I don’t think he’s there. 

15 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Agree, that was being discussed on the media coverage I was following earlier.

I think it’s much cleaner, actually. Pure SS

Edited by KDawg

10 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Also, Mayhew said they had 3 offers to trade back again, but they didn't want to risk losing Dotson.

Now I really want to know what those offers were.  I like Dotson and all, but Lloyd and Linderbaum were on the board until late.    One of them plus an extra second or future first would have been a pretty spectacular haul.

• Like 2

Just now, Going Commando said:

Now I really want to know what those offers were.  I like Dotson and all, but Lloyd and Linderbaum were on the board until late.    One of them plus an extra second or future first would have been a pretty spectacular haul.

It was probably a WR needy team like KC or GB

13 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Starting to listen to Keim's latest pod.  He said they had Dotson ahead of Burks and didn't really like Burks.  Also, they were hoping Tyler Smith (Tackle Dallas took) would be available at 47.

They could use 47 to address buffalo nickel (mentions Brisker) or draft a LB instead (Anderson is mentioned repeatedly).

Also, Mayhew said they had 3 offers to trade back again, but they didn't want to risk losing Dotson.

I hope we don’t go Brisker. I think that’s a pure bust waiting to happen. He plays dainty for the hybrid role and I don’t love his toughness. 

Burks is also a bust waiting to happen.

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I hope we don’t go Brisker. I think that’s a pure bust waiting to happen. He plays dainty for the hybrid role and I don’t love his toughness. 

Yeah, Pietre is my #1 target, although I doubt he lasts.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Why isnt Brisker at SS and Curl as buffalo nickel an option? For the record, I want Andersen

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I'd rather have Pitre than Brisker, especially for big nickel.  That is the dude's college position and he was a star there.  He's the only other guy than Hamilton where you really feel his presence and impact on a game from the safety position.  Big time playmaker that is very reminiscent of honey badger.

I want Dean the most though.  IMO he is London Fletcher level of instinctive and those guys translate to the NFL.

I'd be very happy with Kenny Walker though, and I like Greece Hall too.  No complaints from me if we get either.  Walker would be a huge value choice for me: +27, reminiscent of the Cosmi pick.

After Tyler Smith went, the only other highly regarded OT I've got left on my board is Raimann.  Petite-Frere is good, but not better value than RB, S, or LB.  Feels like there is going to be a pretty big gulf in OL value until the third, when it really starts picking up again.

People don't want to hear this, but there is a decent chance that QB is the overwhelming BPA today.  Four first round or fringe first round caliber guys still left, and not many teams that still need to fill the job.  If Ridder or Corral are still sitting there, it's super tempting to pick them.

People forget Fletcher was a 4.4 guy, 

5 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I’d say Howell, Willis but there’s zero shot he’s sitting there at 47. And I think Howell is better but the upside / value of Willis at 47 is almost a no brainer. But I don’t think he’s there. 

Willis would be like a bizarre deja vu sequence for Carson Wentz.  It'd be replicating what the Eagles did almost exactly in drafting Hurts.  It'd poison the well with Wentz for sure, but it could also be the best possible pick for us to make.

I'm not down on Hurts like this board appears to be.   He's a truly dynamic runner and a leader and winner who now has some great weapons to go with a strong line and a defense that could quickly come back together.  I think Philly is a future power team and that we've clearly fallen behind them.  And our attitudes about Hurts now remind me of how we talked about Dak before he started lighting us up.  We're in denial.

So yeah, I can see a big path to success by copying them and picking Willis.  And maybe he works out and we cut Wentz with no future loss other than a third rounder given that we traded down in the first and second and recouped the current third and still got a QB in this hypothetical scenario.  And who knows, if you dump Wentz's cap hit perhaps we can afford to keep our few good players and not have to trade Daron Payne for a ham sandwich or have him walk out the door.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sebestian said:

Who do you guys want to highlight at 47.  14 picks before our pick.  I am leaning best available safety.  Pitre, Brister, ideally.

Andersen is a no brainer if he is there. He has everything you look for at LB but experience

Freak athlete - check

Smart - Check

Ability to play multiple positions- check

Tough - check

Character - check

It says a lot he was named Big Sky Defensive Player of the Year with just a year of experience in the role.

He is a Day 1 starter at buffalo nickel who you can slide into the Mike role eventually. He is also a guy that fits a lot of schemes so, if JDR were to go, he could fit the next guy’s system

26 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Starting to listen to Keim's latest pod.  He said they had Dotson ahead of Burks and didn't really like Burks.  Also, they were hoping Tyler Smith (Tackle Dallas took) would be available at 47.

They could use 47 to address buffalo nickel (mentions Brisker) or draft a LB instead (Anderson is mentioned repeatedly).

I think Paulsen mentioned Smith on a Keim podcast last week

• Like 3

Keim mentioned Buffalo Nickel as likeliest option at #47 ... said he thinks they could draft a LB that can be versatile and again mentioned Troy Anderson from Montana State as an option.

The SI mock has us taking Dean at #47. If he fell to that point it would be incredibly tough to pass him up. If you told me we'd trade down in Round 1 and take Dean and Dotson I would have been pretty excited, and I would have assumed the order of them being picked would be flipped haha

• Like 3

1 minute ago, RandyHolt said:

I hope Turner is smart enough to go hurry up any time Philly has Jordan "Dinner Bell" Davis on the field. Stretch run right, stretch run left. Run his fat ass sideline to sideline.

He'll run us down if we try.  He's way faster than any of our linemen and probably almost as fast as McKissic is.

There is no easy way to exploit him or that DL now.  Their run defense just got way better.

2 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Just rewatched some Brisker and I’m less enthusiastic than at first glance...:ols: Do we reckon Nick Cross is a worth one of our 4th rounders. I’ve very tempted with McBride and then one of the top 5 RBs next 2 picks. Also trying to squeeze in Geodeke, Beavers and D. Mathis :ols:

Anyone else think if Ridder is there at 47 Ron will go for to ?

Issue with Cross is the instincts and football IQ are not there. The guy has the tools to be an All Pro but is an athlete playing football vs a football

player. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Character concerns about maturity and how he’d handle money and Wonderlic. Wonderlic is archaic as a whole, agree with you. But QBs and OTs it has a weight.

I was gently dressed down for saying that I had seen multiple interviews where he was not well spoken and did not sound bright. I feel a little vindicated by the Wonderlic. I still like the arm talent and mobility, but I’d rather upgrade the team in the 2nd. I’d like to bet on Wentz and try to be good.

• Like 1

Well after sleeping off my anger, and thanks to the positive input from a lot of you posters who are well studied, I am coming around to the pick. Seems like a good kid, and the only negative is that he’s a little short. You would hope to get a bigger receiver with such an early pick, but production is all that matters and I can def see the kid producing. Plus we have two more picks to play with! I say this all of course with the caveat that unless Snyder is ousted we are never going anywhere.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

I keep hearing that Carson prefers or needs tall WRs but what QB doesn't like big easy to see targets. I did see Dyami go deep a few times (I thought that was his thing) but he always seemed blanketed and am not sure how we can blame that on a noodle arm QB.  I think my stat holds true, no (or extremely few) WRs with less than 20 catches in their first year went on to a productive career. A young WR has it tough when vets are in the mix and think Humphries was that guy last year.

Somewhere on this board, I think buried in this 525 page thread, there was something about dyami being like 5th on a list of players getting the downfield with x seconds of snap with some traditional burners that are proven. 

That's super not helpful to any argument at this point, but there were signs the ability is there.  (Maybe one of our resident Twitter wizards can find it).  Clearly at this point none of that is proven, so I'm only suggesting I think there is still a reason for some hope. 

• Like 1