Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

Just now, KDawg said:

I worry about all things with this franchise.

It doesn't make any sense to do it. But when has that stopped us? And yes, I trust Ron - kind of (through no fault of his own). But I've seen this movie where we all think the move should go a certain direction and the franchise pulls some random move out of left field that leaves us all puzzled and confused.

lol, if you mean Dan, yeah you never know.  He's a moron and he's favorite spot is QB, that's where he interferes.

Keim has been pretty good so far this off season including nailing their interest in Wentz.  And both he and Standig think almost no way they take a QB in the first based on what they've  heard.  But will see.  Stuff eventually tends to leak.  Dan being hopped up about Haskins was all over the local and national media before we took him.  So if there is a change of plans I think we will be prepared for it. :ols:

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Me too but I am not worried about it.  Keim could end up wrong but he's been saying for months Ridder on their radar but only if the 2nd round. 

I bet they wanted to see the full gamut of Cincy players.  And they were already nearby since they went to Ohio State. 

What interest me is that they mentioned Zampese being at Cincinnati.  I would think he was at Ohio State too but they don't have any QBs in this year's draft but he was able to get an early look at Stroud.  

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I still don't think trading back that far makes sense, either. 

I know you don’t. Me neither.

Feels like something has to give between now and the end of the draft though. Some compromise along the way. Or maybe 3 further players miraculously turn up in FA....:ols:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Sauce had a better 2020 then 2021.  Haven't watched much tape on Pierce or Ford.  Ridder is my guy and if they are to draft him they will need to move up, I think and it will take a trade down to acquire an extra 2nd or using 2023 ammo. 

I liked what I've seen from the games I've watched from Sauce.  I got to get to Stingley.  Fred Smoot worships Stingley, he likes Sauce too but not as much.  I am a big Alec Pierce guy, his killer combine, clinched it for me.  I haven't studied Ford, yet.

As for Ridder, I am ok with him.  I was in on him early.  I talked about him ironically more in the 2020-2021 draft thread than the current one.  His inconsistency with accuracy and decision making makes me pause about him.  Judging by Keim, they'd be tempted if he fell to their pick in the 2nd but I don't think they will chase him.  But who knows maybe they fall for him hard today in the pro day and that changes. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Keim is pretty adament they are very unlikely to take a QB in the first.  As far as Ridder falling all the way down to their pick in the 2nd round, will see.   If they did it, I wouldn't love it, wouldn't hate it.

But Sauce Gardner has a shot to be there at pick #11.  And to my Alec Pierce is a good prospect.   Ditto Jerome Ford. 

Yes, Ridder is a late first/early 2nd round QB, IMO and others feel the same.  Again, I want a trade down so we can acquire an additional early pick or picks.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RWJ said:

What interest me is that they mentioned Zampese being at Cincinnati.  I would think he was at Ohio State too but they don't have any QBs in this year's draft but he was able to get an early look at Stroud.  

I don't doubt they will give a hard look at Ridder.  But Cincy has other prospects, too.  I don't get the impression that they will move mountains to get Ridder but if he falls into their lap they'd consider.  Again going purely with Keim. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't doubt they will give a hard look at Ridder.  But Cincy has other prospects, too.  I don't get the impression that they will move mountains to get Ridder but if he falls into their lap they'd consider.  Again going purely with Keim. 

Draft can't get here soon enough, SIP.  :) I think all of us can agree on that. 

It seems like folks are pretty much on board with a DB at 11 if it’s a blue chip guy (one of the 3 guys we’ve talked about- Stingley, Sauce, or Hamilton)

I know it may be unpopular, but what are your some of your thoughts on drafting DE/DT as BPA. 

Very possible a guy like Thibodeaux, Travon Walker, or Jordan Davis could be staring us in the face at 11.

Maybe there isn’t a trade down partner.

Davis seems like more of a 2 gap NT. Could he fit in our scheme? Along with Devin Lloyd, he is one of the guys I would be most apprehensive using 11 on. I see lots of ways he fails to produce at a level befitting a top ten player (in my view at 11, you need to draft a top ten blue chip player because you’re almost guaranteed a QB or random guy is overdrafted).

Anyone want to offer some thoughts on pass rushers or Dline?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

It seems like folks are pretty much on board with a DB at 11 if it’s a blue chip guy (one of the 3 guys we’ve talked about- Stingley, Sauce, or Hamilton)

I know it may be unpopular, but what are your some of your thoughts on drafting DE/DT as BPA. 

Very possible a guy like Thibodeaux, Travon Walker, or Jordan Davis could be staring us in the face at 11.

Davis seems like more of a 2 gap NT. Could he fit in our scheme? Along with Devin Lloyd, he is one of the guys I would be most apprehensive using 11 on. I see lots of ways he fails to produce at a level befitting a top ten player (in my view at 11, you need to draft a top ten blue chip player because you’re almost guaranteed a QB or random guy is overdrafted).

If it's a de or dt try to move down get a couple more picks. We already invested alot into the dline.  Or look to move one of the dline players and replace him with the rookie. 

Edited by Redskins 2021

17 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

2 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

If it's a de or dt try to move down get a couple more picks. We already invested alot into the dline.  Or look to move one of the dline players and replace him with the rookie. 

Yes, if Hamilton, Sauce or Stingley are available at 11, I take him. 

I seriously doubt Thibodaux or Walker are going to be available at 11 and I wouldn't really consider taking a DL for Washington this year anyway. Maybe if they are able to flip Payne for more picks, but I'd much rather see a WR selected uf the DBs are gone. 

• Like 1

On 3/22/2022 at 11:49 AM, Going Commando said:

I think you're overthinking this.  The real question is, whatever gap he lines up over, can a LBer play downhill?  The answer with Lloyd is definitely yes.  He can line up directly over A and B gaps and aggressively fit the run/play behind the line, and he can do it form wider alignments too.

In a 4-2, both of those stack linebackers are going to generally have the same responsibilities--pursue if the play runs away or play force when it comes their way.  So if you have a line up with Jamin and Lloyd for example, they're going to need to be able to do the same things.  A problem with our linebackers is they run fast but read slow and they don't direct traffic in the back seven like we need them too.  Lloyd does that and more.  He is a big time playmaker who plays the ball in coverage and gets drive-altering plays in the backfield.

I need to watch more of Lloyd if he reads action fast.  I watched games from earlier in the college season, so maybe how he read and reacted improved.

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

The assumption is that they'd want Linderbaum or Stingley. Minnesota who is picking at 12 could also want both those guys so they'd move up past them. 

I'd be like when the Cowboys swapped with the Eagles last year so that Philly could get Devante Smith over the Giants. And Dallas still ended up with the best player in the entire draft class last year in Parsons.

Am I missing something on Linderbaum? I've watched him play and he's certainly a good Center prospect, but nothing mind blowing. He's also undersized. What exactly is it that would make a team think he's not only worth being the highest drafted Center ever but also worth trading up for to give him that honor?

IMO he's not the prospect that guys like Pouncey, Fredrick, or Mack were and those guys all went either middle or late 1st. What exactly is it that make some people so high on him?

1 hour ago, Redskins 2021 said:

Must have a promise of getting drafted by a team he likes. 

Interesting take.

That's exactly what non-lottery basketball players do. They get a promise from a team they'd prefer to go to and then don't do workouts or interviews for anyone else hoping those less desirable teams will pass on a player they never were able to check out.

This would be the begining of a bad trend for teams with less cachet (like us).

EDIT:

Strike that! Just realized he already performed well at the combine snd he is probably just standing on those numbers.

That's entirely different from the scenario I was considering.

As long as he interviews with teams tgat want to see him this likely won't matter much.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, seantaylor=god said:

I'm not drafting DL again. Its just a poor usage of resources unless you're guaranteeing me the guy is Aaron Donald or Reggie White.

Reg. DB, I'd sprint to the podium for Hamilton or Gardner. Stingley I'm not sure about, the injury history scares me.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

My latest mock after all the craziness of FA (with trades):

TRADES:

1). NYG trades #5+#67 to Detroit for #2 overall (Detroit takes a steep discount to move off of 2 after Hutch is gone.  NYG trades up to get their tackle of choice).

2). Philly trades #15+#51 to Atlanta for #8.

3). Houston trades #13+#108 to Washington for #11.

4). Green Bay trades #22+#53 to Washington for #13 overall.

5). KC trades #29+#94 to NE for #21 overall.

6). Atlanta trades #43+#74 to NE for #29.

ROUND 1:

1). Jacksonville-Aiden Hutchinson (Franchising Cam Robinson as well as taking Walker Littler high last year makes Hutch the pick here).

2). NYG (from Detroit)-Ikem Ekwonu (Giants take a relatively cheap deal to ensure they get their preferred tackle.  With an extra 3rd, than afford to move up).

3). Houston-Evan Neal (Tunsil is there for now, but they could always play Neal at RT or move him inside and keep Howard at RT).

4). NYJ-Trayvon Walker (Struggled here between Walker & KT.  Gave them Walker after the poor combine interviews of KT).

5). Detroit (from NYG)-Kyle Hamilton (Lions get the player they would have taken at 2).

6). Carolina-Charles Cross (They could easily trade down from here considering they have no 2nd, 3rd, and their own 4th rounder (they have a late 4th rounder.  If they stay, LT is a major need).

7). NYG-Sauce Gardner (Bradbury and Jackson could both be gone after this year (Bradbury sooner via a trade)).

8.  Philadelphia (from Atlanta)-Derek Stingley (Slay is 31.  The Eagles value the CB position).

9). Seattle-Kayvon Thibadeaux (Pass rusher is a major need.  With the top three tackles gone, Seattle opts for defense).

10). New York Jets-Garrett Wilson (The interest in Hill suggests a desire for speed at WR.  That gives him the edge over London).

11). Houston (from Washington)-Jermaine Johnson (Edge is a major need.  The Texans jump Minnesota to ensure they get Johnson).

12). Minnesota-Jordan Davis (They cut Pierce.  They gamble on the enormous upside).

13). Green Bay (from Washington via Houston)-Drake London (WR is obviously a priority.  The Packers jump Philly & Atlanta to get London).

14). Baltimore-Tyler Linderbaum (The Ravens were willing to move up for Linderbaum.  They end up having to do nothing and get their man to replace Bozeman).

15). Atlanta (from Philadelphia)-Devin Lloyd (BPA here.  Could go QB, but I see them targeting that position in the 2nd potentially).

16). Philadelphia-Devonte Wyatt (Philly was hoping Davis slid here.  Cox and Hargrave could both be gone after this year).

17). LAC-Trevor Penning (RT is a glaring hole.  It cost them the Raiders game at the end of the season).

18). New Orleans-Chris Olave (Speed at WR is a must.  They pass on QB as well).

19). Philadelphia-Jameson Williams (They have shown in the past that they are willing to wait on injured players (See Sidney Jones).

20). Pittsburgh-Kenyon Green (I know he had a poor combine, but they don't care.  His tape was dominant and he has positional flexibility).

21). KC (from NE)-Traylon Burks (Getting WRs are a must).

22). Washington (from GB)-Nakobe Dean (We traded down twice and still ended up with an alpha leader for the defense).

23). Arizona-George Karlaftis (They lost Jones in FA.  Watt is obviously near the end.  They need a young rusher).

24). Dallas-Zion Johnson (Interior o-line is a major need).

25). Buffalo-Trent McDuffie (Surprised he's still on the board, they pounce).

26). Tennessee-Tyler Smith (They cut Saffold.  Need some replacements).

27). Tampa Bay-Matt Corral (Has more talent than Trask last year.  Have a feeling that Arians would love him).

28). Green Bay-Jahan Dotson (They double dip on playmakers for Rodgers).

29). Atlanta (from NE via KC)-Kenny Pickett  (Falcons trade up for their QB of the future).

30).  KC-Boye Mafe (Had an outstanding combine).

31). Cincinatti-Travis Jones (Need to beef up the interior DL).

32). Detroit-Malik Willis (With so many early picks, they can afford to gamble on Willis).

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I'm not drafting DL again. Its just a poor usage of resources unless you're guaranteeing me the guy is Aaron Donald or Reggie White.

Reg. DB, I'd sprint to the podium for Hamilton or Gardner. Stingley I'm not sure about, the injury history scares me.

I don't know about the DL comment but in this draft if we are making the pick at 11, I am with you, it would be one of those DB's

2 hours ago, seantaylor=god said:

I’m not a big fan of Thib. I don’t think he’s as good as people are saying he is. He reminds me of Rosseau a little. Highly touted, athletic, long, good size, one trick pony. 

im not really on board with any of the DL besides Davis. And I’m not sure we’d prioritize Davis at 11 because there is bound to be a prospect that is impressive and with weighted BPA is of higher value to US. Though I think he’s going to make someone really happy.

Stingley and Sauce. Like both. But… I wouldn’t take either at 11 over Hamilton, Lloyd or London (or Williams. Or Wilson). 

Rivera defenses usually don’t prioritize a CB in round 1. I think the guys I mentioned above are also better players even without position ranking/need taking effect. 

Would I be mad at either one? No. But, I wouldn’t be dancing for joy.

25 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Im also now unsure on Stingley. I thought I read he was getting some negative press. Not the usual pre draft slurs, just observations about him that may drop his stock.

Hamilton or Gardner would be great at #11.