Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

13 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

The comp that came to mind for me was Jared Goff.  The comps I was thinking of for each:

Willis - Poor man's Kyler Murray

Pickett - Poor man's Matt Stafford

Matt Corral - Small Ryan Tannehill

Sam Howell - Poor man's Baker Mayfield

Carson Strong - Little bit slower Jared Goff

Desmond Ridder - Skinny, weaker-armed Dak Prescott

I actually don't think Willis is a "poor man's" Murray. His ceiling may be a bigger and faster Murray. 

The Pickett to Stafford comparison I'm not really getting. Stafford has a cannon...top 5 in the NFL. Pickett has a very mediocre arm. Is it because they're both pretty good at throwing on the run, etc? That I can see.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

The comp that came to mind for me was Jared Goff.  The comps I was thinking of for each:

I like this game...

Mine:

Willis: Josh Allen

Pickett: Rich man's Taylor Heinicke

Corral: Hopefully a healthier RG3 with a lesser arm and athleticism

Howell: Derek Carr

Carson Strong: Jared Goff but with upside

Desmond Ridder: Dwayne Haskins but with work ethic.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

10 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Scherff is gone with near all certainty. Thank god. Dont want any part of paying a guard 18 mil a year. The difference between an all pro and a decent one isnt worth the 10 mil difference in cap space. 

Yeah I don't see any reason for them to re-sign Scherff, especially at the kind of money he wants. He's only had one true elite year and he's also been injured every year since 2017. He had an overall PFF grade of 73.6 last year. Flowers had a 72.0 grade and Schweitzer had a 78.7 grade. I think we're actually pretty good at Guard without him.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

I like this game...

Mine:

Willis: Josh Allen

Pickett: Rich man's Taylor Heinicke

Corral: Hopefully a healthier RG3 with a lesser arm and athleticism

Howell: Derek Carr

Carson Strong: Jared Goff but with upside

Desmond Ridder: Dwayne Haskins but with work ethic.

Mine:

Willis:  A mix of Trey Lance-Josh Allen

Pickett:  Ryan Tannehill

Corral:  Rich man's Taylor Heinicke/college version of Zach Wilson

Howell:  Derek Carr

Carson Strong -- somewhere in between Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco.  Has a strong arm but doesn't have Flacco's gun, but is slightly more mobile.

Desmond Ridder:  a poor man's Jalen Hurts

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Mine:

Willis:  A mix of Trey Lance-Josh Allen

Pickett:  Ryan Tannehill

Corral:  Rich man's Taylor Heinicke/college version of Zach Wilson

Howell:  Derek Carr

Carson Strong -- somewhere in between Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco.  Has a strong arm but doesn't have Flacco's gun, but is slightly more mobile.

Desmond Ridder:  a poor man's Jalen Hurts

I like the Corral "college version of Zach Wilson" and the Willis ones a lot.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Feels these are mostly wildly off.

Willis is a less ceiling Josh Allen

Picket isnt anything close to Stafford. Maybe the same type of gamer but doesnt have any where close to the same arm talent and not gunslinger

Corral and Ryan is pretty close.

Sam seems to have better arm talent but not by much

Strong and Goff one doesnt make any sense at all.

Ridder and Dak maybe a bit but a better overall athlete

1 minute ago, Zim489 said:

Feels these are mostly wildly off.

Willis is a less ceiling Josh Allen

Picket isnt anything close to Stafford. Maybe the same type of gamer but doesnt have any where close to the same arm talent and not gunslinger

Corral and Ryan is pretty close.

Sam seems to have better arm talent but not by much

Strong and Goff one doesnt make any sense at all.

Ridder and Dak maybe a bit but a better overall athlete

Funny. I think the Goff/Strong one makes the most sense of all of them.

Maybe Andrew Luck in style but not talent?

Edited by KDawg

19 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I actually don't think Willis is a "poor man's" Murray. His ceiling may be a bigger and faster Murray. 

The Pickett to Stafford comparison I'm not really getting. Stafford has a cannon...top 5 in the NFL. Pickett has a very mediocre arm. Is it because they're both pretty good at throwing on the run, etc? That I can see.

You all know how I feel about Willis, but Murray was way better than him coming out.  Malik might be a little bit bigger and stronger than him, but Murray is way better and has a higher ceiling.  He's going to win an MVP some day, maybe multiple times.  He was also a way better college player.  He was otherworldly the year he won the Heisman, it's honestly some of the best film you're going to see from a QB prospect.  Ideal situation though, he had the Joe Moore line in front of him and one of the brightest, QB-friendliest minds in the business designing and calling that offense, plus Hollywood Brown and CeeDee Lamb to throw too (Calcaterra was a blossoming star at TE too before his career-ending injury), plus a two-headed monster at RB.  Nevertheless, Murray was awesome that season and he's been as good as advertised in the NFL, plus he ended up with one of the brightest, most QB friendly offensive minds again in the NFL, along with a lot of great weapons.

I think Murray is probably a little bit faster than Malik too, but I think Malik has stronger legs to keep his balance through contact and really explosive changes of direction.  Murray has legit 4.3 speed and is so incredibly explosive with those short little strides that he would probably beat any other QB in the NFL in a 40 or shorter sprint.  But in a longer race I could see Willis and Jackson overtaking him.  However I do think Jackson and Willis are more creative runners and tackle-breakers than Murray is.

The arm strength disparity is why I see Pickett as the poor man's version of Stafford, but yeah the mobility is a big point of similarity.  The nervy way Pickett plays, and the way he holds and throws the ball really reminds me of Stafford.  They've both got this noisy style where they take a lot of choppy steps and they keep the ball high up by the chin in a kind of classic way, and they both constantly fake the ball and dip it around while they're waiting for things to develop.  You just feel their nerves and their internal clock ticking when you're watching them.  Pickett likes to bail from his pocket and play backyard football where he's more comfortable like Stafford too.  And he's got the same knack for seeing back side windows open up when you think he's looking play-side the whole way.  He's got some baller in him, like Stafford, and some tough guy.  It's hard to describe, but he just moves the same way as Stafford and has the same kind of body language and playing style.  He's not as gifted as Stafford, but that's also how we might be able to get him at 11 instead of him going #1.  And Stafford at 34 also doesn't have the same heat that he used to.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Probably like a 75% chance it'll be a MLB knowing the way this FO drafts for need.  But I could also see them picking a corner if someone interesting drops to 42.

I'm thinking they'll either try and keep Scherff or they'll go after someone like James Daniels as a vet replacement for guard.

Maybe. We should be picking before the big run on some very good safeties, so if Collins walks I think it becomes a need.  MLB or FS is my guess, but they definitely do draft for need.

Good post.  TBH, I usually only have a surface level take on the personality of these guys.  Unlike some of our fans here on the board, I don't pour over every social media post or rumor involving these guys and whine about their Gen Z ways.  I just want them to have energy and confidence and competitiveness.

It's not that I am nitpicky of their personality.  But I have heard to death that personality and intangibles are important for QBs for a number of reasons that I among others have listed. 

He's not a QB but using one example from my experience.  Josh Doctson.  I liked him in the draft.  But if I had any idea that he was so quiet, aloof and noncompetitive as for how he went about football -- no way I'd dig him the same way.  Watching him in camp and practices you could see the lack of oomph in how he went about his business. 

So yeah I do think their personalities matter.  I agree its tough to gauge but I'll at least give it a shot.  And as for QBs, first and foremost they need to be able to play of course.  But if I could have a dollar for every coach or teammate who say Qbs with leadership skills can change the psyche of a team, i'd be a rich man.

I liked Malik's personality from interviews I saw, comes across as having a good mix of ****iness and humility.  That dude knows how good he is, but he's not going to big time his team and he'll do what they ask him to do. 

I agree.

I like Matt Corral's on-field attitude because he plays with his cleats on fire and I feel like he's got some Drew Brees type swagger and energy where I could see him leading the hype up huddle pre-game. 

Corral definitely has a mix of swagger, toughness.  He will lay himself on the line for a win -- sadly maybe too much at times.

I love Ridder's swagger and feel like he's got an "it" factor.  I

He is the hardest for me to get a total feel for it.  Comes off edgy on the field, PG off of it but my take could change as I learn more.

I feel like Pickett's got an edge liike Corral and isn't afraid to spin the ball in your face, and while I have found him annoying personally, I absolutely would not let that effect my decision to draft him if I were in charge. 

I think Pickett's on the field personality might be more of an act or perhaps a game persona.  He comes off to me much more PG off the field than Corral.  But as I said I like his personality, he comes off naturally charismatic. 

Strong gives me a little bit of pause because I feel like he's a people pleaser.  He kind of reminds me of Drew Lock a little bit.  But he seems smart and eager and personality wouldn't stop me from drafting him.

Strong according to coaches is very hyper-emotional ala Corral on the field and they worked with him to tone that down.  He seems to be the most charismatic (as to my take) of these guys sans Pickett.

But it has helped my realize that I like the value of Strong and Ridder almost as much as Howell and Corral, to the point where I would put them all in the same tier.

I like Howell more than you do.  I know you don't like his field vision.  I have a different twist to it -- for me I thnk its his peripheral vision which effects his pocket presence and running ability/elusiveness.   But I like his arm, touch, accuracy.  Corral I've already talked about to death.

If Strong's knee checks out, I'd like him in the 2nd.  Ridder i have a hard time with, don't love him, don't hate him, I waver.

If they get a vet QB, they'll be less likely to afford a third expensive WR than if they draft a rookie.  Five years of cheap rookie QB contract means they can absolutely afford to spend on weapons, and it's what they should do.  

I agree in theory.  But if we have any pie in the sky gets like Rodgers, he supposedly demands D. Adams comes with him.  otherwise I don't think they are spending big money on a WR when shortly they will have two WRs making big money.  The draft though is a different story. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Maybe. We should be picking before the big run on some very good safeties, so if Collins walks I think it becomes a need.  MLB or FS is my guess, but they definitely do draft for need.

I got to go back and listen to it but caught the tail end of London Fletcher on 106.7.

If I heard him right, Mike MLB in his eyes is a big need.  And he talked about how hard its to get well rounded Mike MLB these days on the market, clubs figure out a way to keep them.  He wondered if the same issue happens this off season unless Wagner is put on the market, etc.

He's right the MLB-Mike spot in FA in recent years is crap.

I'll give the Giants some rare props, they signed Blake Martinez when they had that need and aside from his injury last year, he was really good for them.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I got to go back and listen to it but caught the tail end of London Fletcher on 106.7.

If I heard him right, Mike MLB in his eyes is a big need.  And he talked about how hard its to get well rounded Mike MLB these days on the market, clubs figure out a way to keep them.  He wondered if the same issue happens this off season unless Wagner is put on the market, etc.

He's right the MLB-Mike spot in FA in recent years is crap.

I'll give the Giants some rare props, they signed Blake Martinez when they had that need and aside from his injury last year, he was really good for them.

Yeah, great MIKEs hit FA about as often as QBs do. And there are about as many.

• Like 2

I agree that LB is a need. Has been for a decade. But not a traditional MIKE. We don’t use that personnel enough. We need a downhill guy that can zone drop. They don’t hit FA because they are rare. 

I’m not sure that guy is in the draft. I haven’t watched Dean’s coverage. Maybe he fits. Lloyd fits but if we don’t have a QB going into the draft Lloyd isn’t an option… unless we trade back into the first… 

26 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I agree that LB is a need. Has been for a decade. But not a traditional MIKE. We don’t use that personnel enough. We need a downhill guy that can zone drop. They don’t hit FA because they are rare. 

I’m not sure that guy is in the draft. I haven’t watched Dean’s coverage. Maybe he fits. Lloyd fits but if we don’t have a QB going into the draft Lloyd isn’t an option… unless we trade back into the first… 

KDawg, thoughts on Christian Harris? I think he’s physical and can get downhill and I also like him in coverage. 

• Like 1

On 2/2/2022 at 4:58 PM, Anselmheifer said:

Basically the WFT should seek my opinion on QB and do the opposite. LOVED Tua. Didn’t like Herbert. Hated Josh Allen. I don’t like Willis. 

We're near duplicates lol. only disagreement in terms of the past was Herbert (but I didn't see this Herbert coming, jut thought he was a normal coin toss top 10 pick caliber guy). I do like Willis, but if you hate him, well, if he blows people away here, and has the typically strong workouts, he'll go too high for us to get him anyway. Always viewed the 2nd round or late 1st as nonsense, the arm and dual threat ability always meant somebody would use a top 5-10 pick after what has happened with so many dual threat guys the past several years. 

Does anyone seriously think any of the QB's will be capable of starting  in week 1 (or even week 9) in Washington?

It doesn't feel like any of them would be based on everything I have seen and read, kinda disappointing 

Makes me think the "bridge" is more important now than I thought.

41 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

If true, here's some teams potential move up spot.

Who is trading up?  Detroit (if they love Willis) could trade down with NYJ (who gets one of the top DE(s).  However, Detroit badly needs an edge rusher themselves.

Listened to Standig, his take was that this week didn't help the buzz as to the aggregate take about this QB class, saying most of the people he talked to aren't really blown away by this group.

Willis probably gained the most.  As for who played the best, a lot of people have different takes on that.

On Strong he liked what he saw from his arm but his mobility looked clunky

A lot of variance on Ridder, some dig him, others say he doesn't belong in the first round