Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

Here's an idea.....the general consensus is that this is a weak draft for QB's. What if we did the following in this years draft:

- trade back and acquire a #1 next year and #2 and #4 this year

- sign Trubisky.... only if endorsed by RR's good buddy Sean McDermott. If not Trubisky sign Huntley in free agency.

- With our two 2nd round picks this season draft best available at positions of need or keep trading back acquiring picks for next year depending on who's there when we draft.

Result: We're left with two 1st round picks next year and sell out to move up and get the best QB we can get in next years draft.

Meanwhile, we find out about one of two QB's who are still young and have had time to learn the league. This plan requires patience and puts us in a spot to make a big move up the draft in a better draft class for QB's. We will also have tons of cap space this offseason to sign free agents or re-sign our own players that we value for long term deals. 

We put the load on our defense and focus on running the football playing a 3rd place schedule this season. With two 2nd round picks we should be able to get a good LB and OL while also grabbing some free agents who can help. 

I'll sit back and let you all rip me now while I enjoy my beer.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, mhd24 said:

Who is trading up?  Detroit (if they love Willis) could trade down with NYJ (who gets one of the top DE(s).  However, Detroit badly needs an edge rusher themselves.

One team could be Steelers who have been rumored really like Willis.

• Like 1

Willis is only 6'1 with good quickness, not great speed and not great accuracy to go with a very good arm. Sounds like Jaylen Hurts to me in some ways. This is what I've heard about him in reviews from listening to guys on the radio who follow this stuff. Let the Steelers have him. 

• Thumb up 2

51 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Willis is only 6'1 with good quickness, not great speed and not great accuracy to go with a very good arm. Sounds like Jaylen Hurts to me in some ways. This is what I've heard about him in reviews from listening to guys on the radio who follow this stuff. Let the Steelers have him. 

Maybe a rich man's version of Jalen Hurts.  More athletic and better arm than Hurts.  But yeah, despite all the upside, if he doesn't develop as a passer he won't be a franchise QB.

22 minutes ago, Califan007TheConstipated said:

That second draft doesnt make a lot of sense to me. We have one of the best centers in the league. And the OL has performed well the past two seasons. I think we have to go QB in the first if one of them is still left. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

That second draft doesnt make a lot of sense to me. We have one of the best centers in the league. And the OL has performed well the past two seasons. I think we have to go QB in the first if one of them is still left. 

Linderbaum and Zion would be incredible additions to any OL though. If I were the Giants, I'd likely take one of the top OT's and Linderbaum. 

11 minutes ago, KDawg said:

If we go into the season with Trubisky and Heinicke as the QBs I’m going to be pretty dismayed. If we go into the season them and manage to win 6-8 games I’m going to be downright depressed.

I fully agree, but you need options, you try and find good value, and you need to roll the dice at some point here.

Option 1: Throw multiple picks + players at the aging veteran QB's (Wilson and Rodgers), hope those teams and players say yes.

Option 2: Trade for aging/maybe-washed/middling QB's (Ryan, Goff, Jimmy G), and pay more than you'd like for them but not a 1st.

Option 3: Trade up early in the offseason (including at least the 2023 1st) to ensure a rookie QB in this unclear draft class.  You have to move up to #4 or higher.  Giants won't help, and all of the other teams need a QB.

Option 4: Sign a journeyman QB that competes with Heinicke.  Stand pat at #11 and draft whatever best QB is left without giving up extra picks.

Option 5: Sign that same journeyman QB, trade back from #11 for extra picks, then grab a QB at more appropriate value.

Option 6: Try Option 5, but get jumped by another QB desperate team and be stuck with a journeyman + Heinicke battling it out.

There is no good option.  All of these have clear downsides that can easily happen and/or aren't even possible (Option 1).  Option 2 provides an upgrade, but isn't moving the needle unless multiple players break out next season.  Options 3-5 are a cost-benefit analysis discussion.  Option 6 is too conservative, but maybe hindsight shows a few years down the road that they were right not to reach.

Maybe Mariota is the next Carson Palmer.  QB that flashed early, gets hurt, looks washed after the injury and maybe he can figure it out down the road.  Maybe Trubisky is Tannehill.  Someone who won't ever be great, but can maybe just figure out how to be average.

I want to fault the FO for not finding an answer at QB this offseason, but I can't.  This offseason is too awkward.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I fully agree, but you need options, you try and find good value, and you need to roll the dice at some point here.

Option 1: Throw multiple picks + players at the aging veteran QB's (Wilson and Rodgers), hope those teams and players say yes.

Option 2: Trade for aging/maybe-washed/middling QB's (Ryan, Goff, Jimmy G), and pay more than you'd like for them but not a 1st.

Option 3: Trade up early in the offseason (including at least the 2023 1st) to ensure a rookie QB in this unclear draft class.  You have to move up to #4 or higher.  Giants won't help, and all of the other teams need a QB.

Option 4: Sign a journeyman QB that competes with Heinicke.  Stand pat at #11 and draft whatever best QB is left without giving up extra picks.

Option 5: Sign that same journeyman QB, trade back from #11 for extra picks, then grab a QB at more appropriate value.

Option 6: Try Option 5, but get jumped by another QB desperate team and be stuck with a journeyman + Heinicke battling it out.

There is no good option.  All of these have clear downsides that can easily happen and/or aren't even possible (Option 1).  Option 2 provides an upgrade, but isn't moving the needle unless multiple players break out next season.  Options 3-5 are a cost-benefit analysis discussion.  Option 6 is too conservative, but maybe hindsight shows a few years down the road that they were right not to reach.

Maybe Mariota is the next Carson Palmer.  QB that flashed early, gets hurt, looks washed after the injury and maybe he can figure it out down the road.  Maybe Trubisky is Tannehill.  Someone who won't ever be great, but can maybe just figure out how to be average.

I want to fault the FO for not finding an answer at QB this offseason, but I can't.  This offseason is too awkward.

I don’t think it’s as complicated as you’re making it. 

Either trade for a guy or draft one in the first round. If you sign a bridge, too, cool. But the first two are the only real options.

I have a very real issue with them passing QB off to next year every year and then “next year” comes and they pass it off to next year. Get something done and then do it again if need be. Stop passing it off.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Not sure what the fix is besides selling off and trying again some where down the line. They missed their window. They are now firmly in the middle. 

19 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I don’t think it’s as complicated as you’re making it. 

Either trade for a guy or draft one in the first round. If you sign a bridge, too, cool. But the first two are the only real options.

I have a very real issue with them passing QB off to next year every year and then “next year” comes and they pass it off to next year. Get something done and then do it again if need be. Stop passing it off.

Why press it?  If the FO/Ron doesn't like anyone in the draft, why make a bad problem worse?  I understand the need to take some chances and make a swing, but why double down on anything you don't believe in?  If the team decides it doesn't like anyone (or the cost thereof) in FA/Draft, let it ride....IMO.  I fully acknowledge that approach burned the team in last year's draft, but these guys need to stick to their plan and Ron isn't going anywhere regardless of next year's outcome.  He is the only thing given a shred of creditibilty to the organization at this point and another dissapointing season will simply be tear in the bucket.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Whiskeypeet said:

Why press it?  If the FO/Ron doesn't like anyone in the draft, why make a bad problem worse?  I understand the need to take some chances and make a swing, but why double down on anything you don't believe in?  If the team decides it doesn't like anyone (or the cost thereof) in FA/Draft, let it ride....IMO.  I fully acknowledge that approach burned the team in last year's draft, but these guys need to stick to their plan and Ron isn't going anywhere regardless of next year's outcome.  He is the only thing given a shred of creditibilty to the organization at this point and another dissapointing season will simply be tear in the bucket.

It’s not pushing it. We haven’t pushed it. At all. Taking a QB doesn’t mean pushing it.

Having another awful year may not doom Ron, but another bad year will have guys doubting him. But like usual we won’t have a bad year. We’ll post 5ish wins and be out of range for one of the top quarterbacks.

Then someone will be here saying, “why push it” next year…

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

It’s not pushing it. We haven’t pushed it. At all. Taking a QB doesn’t mean pushing it.

Having another awful year may not doom Ron, but another bad year will have guys doubting him. But like usual we won’t have a bad year. We’ll post 5ish wins and be out of range for one of the top quarterbacks.

Then someone will be here saying, “why push it” next year…

Perhaps we are of similar mind.  I'm purely suggesting avoiding the Haskins type of poor decision.  Again, it won't matter if folks doubt Ron, the team is a hot hot mess and it simply doesn't have the option of shooting him. Its in his best interest to plan for the future.....whether thats short-term or long-term.  Assuming the team doesn't like any of the particular prospects, Its possible the best idea is to trade back or stand pat and choke on the idea of TH (puke) or one of the available middling FAs. I'm all for the swing, but these guys must do whats best for the future even if it means kicking the can down the road.  Maybe somone next year will say "why push it," I'd respond the same. 

1 minute ago, Whiskeypeet said:

Perhaps we are of similar mind.  I'm purely suggesting avoiding the Haskins type of poor decision.  Again, it won't matter if folks doubt Ron, the team is a hot hot mess and it simply doesn't have the option of shooting him. Its in his best interest to plan for the future.....whether thats short-term or long-term.  Assuming the team doesn't like any of the particular prospects, Its possible the best idea is to trade back or stand pat and choke on the idea of TH (puke) or one of the available middling FAs. I'm all for the swing, but these guys must do whats best for the future even if it means kicking the can down the road.  Maybe somone next year will say "why push it," I'd respond the same. 

And continuing to kick the can down the road will continue to be a mistake.

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

Feels like you think they should keep swinging until they hit.  That's fine.  I don't agree, but I won't say you are wrong.  That may be the way, see AZ Cardinals.....take QBs in back-to-back drafts.  

Just now, Whiskeypeet said:

Feels like you think they should keep swinging until they hit.  That's fine.  I don't agree, but I won't say you are wrong.  That may be the way, see AZ Cardinals.....take QBs in back-to-back drafts.  

Not necessarily.

But I think they need to swing to get a hit. Standing still and praying for a walk is more likely to get you a backward K.

5 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Depends if we sign a FA QB this year and how it plays out? There is no definitive right answer to this QB problem we have...in fact, several teams are looking for their franchise QB. We've been looking for a stud QB for decades, over several GM's, coaches and scouts.....Look at the Packers, one SB win in all the years they've had Rodgers. The Ravens have had great teams the past few years but probably won't win a SB with Lamar the things are going. 

We all debate the right path to a franchise QB because we love this team and love talking about what we all think but the fact is that none of us have the crystal ball to find the franchise guy. Do you think Eagles fans would've thought Nick Foles would be the answer for their 1st ever SB? 

Where was Joe Montana drafted? Dan Marino? Mark Rypien? Phil Simms? 

You know what sounds crazy...what if we got Carson Wentz and we won the SB? I wouldn't do it but I wouldn't be surprised if he was the answer for us. All depends on how things break and what we put around him.

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Not necessarily.

But I think they need to swing to get a hit. Standing still and praying for a walk is more likely to get you a backward K.

The team just swung at Haskins and many folks (beyond dumb ass Dan) thought he was viable pre-draft.  He is a stark reminder that making a swing simply for the sake of doing so is a bad idea.  Its possible Howell is a good option (random choide 😀) , but its also possible he's Haskins and I want these guys in the FO to be long-term strategic with their choices.  If the plan is to swing every single year until they get their guy, it might work but not how i would approach it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Whiskeypeet said:

The team just swung at Haskins and many folks (beyond dumb ass Dan) thought he was viable pre-draft.  He is a stark reminder that making a swing simply for the sake of doing so is a bad idea.  Its possible Howell is a good option (random choide 😀) , but its also possible he's Haskins and I want these guys in the FO to be long-term strategic with their choices.  If the plan is to swing every single year until they get their guy, it might work but not how i would approach it.

I did not believe Haskins was a good choice. But I admired the swing. He had the tools. Just lacked some of the technique, the work ethic and a fostering organization. I think we waited too long to swing again, though.