Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

11 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Would love to get a bigger, physical back to compliment Gibby and JD.....building the running game and defense would be my priority. Make every team we play feel our physicality regardless of who we play at QB. I LOVE how the 49ers and Titans play and both have limited QB's compared to the upper echelon of NFL QB's. We can build that kind of roster and figure out QB some way somehow. 

I'd like that too. I'm partial to Master Teague, Jerome Ford and a day 3 sleeper could be Penn State's Noah Cain.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DWinzit said:

Sure hope we addressed LB, FS and CB in FA based on that Matt Miller mock

Not a huge fan or WR in the 2nd

I think we can definitely address FS in FA.  I’m concerned about depth at corner, but I’m ok with our starters.  LB is the big one.

I have receiver prioritized after qb, mlb, rb and oline depth (if Lucas and Scherff walk, we are really thin there, and if we have to play with a weak link on oline, that’s affecting both our rookie qb and our ground game).  We have receivers with some potential, unlike the other positions, so I can understand your thinking.

With that said, adding a (good) receiver not only helps Terry and our rookie qb (if we land one), but is also insurance in case McLaurin misses time.  I think we’re also more likely to be able to fill mlb/rb in Rds 3/4 than receiver.  Don’t think we can really afford to address wr in FA, beyond a Cam Sims type.  So all in all, I’d be ok going receiver in rd 2.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

QB in the first, might require a trade up so assuming we won’t have a 2nd rounder.

we need a bruiser of a RB, who’s everyone’s favorite round 3-5 RB? I would personally love to see Rodriguez from KY. I’ve read he’s a 5th round prospect, but that seems low to me

I love Chris Rodriguez too. There are some appealing ones out there that fit the bill but too early for ranking the majority of them. Haskins Michigan RB, Fleet-Davis Maryland RB, Zach Charbonnet UCLA RB, Spiller etc. - our chances of landing a good one are high but don't know if that's on Ron's agenda. I think it should personally. The Florida International RB Price might be interesting too but his running style will get him killed in the NFL IMO.

Edited by Chump Bailey

2 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

QB in the first, might require a trade up so assuming we won’t have a 2nd rounder.

we need a bruiser of a RB, who’s everyone’s favorite round 3-5 RB? I would personally love to see Rodriguez from KY. I’ve read he’s a 5th round prospect, but that seems low to me

I haven't dove deep into the class yet but so far in that range it would be...

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

This isn't an accurate portrayal of arm strength.  The question is can you throw a tight window ball?  Can you hit a 15 yard come backer on the sideline?  Can you be late on the read but have enough zip on the ball to still thread that closing needle?  Are timing routes possible or will everything just sail?

Yeah, this is just for fun.  Zappe barely stepped into that throw, that looked easy for him, but I couldn't see where it landed.  Ridder's looked good too, he almost dropped that thing right in the bucket.

23 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I haven't dove deep into the class yet but so far in that range it would be...

Great display of balance there.  I know it's the twitter guy saying it, but nothing indicating vision there though (positive or negative).  It's just blocked as the play was drawn up and he followed the path he was supposed to.  No improv needed.

Do we have room for a 4th RB? Gibson starter McK 3th change of pase. Patterson prime backup. I don't see why you would add a 4th to that group unless it's a late round flyer. 

I wouldn't be surprised if we could grab one of two top corners at 11 (most teams need a rusher or oline). We could kick Fuller then back to his hybrid slot spot. You play most of the game with three anyway. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fresh8686 said:

That sounds awesome and I like it.  But I still struggle to see how aspects of his game directly translate to the NFL.  He is not asked to do a whole lot read wise in his scheme.  Spread formation where almost every play is some form of the option.

He does a good job with his quick hitters off of option plays as the LB's drift one way or another.  But there are too many times his reads are as simple as possible with the defense going so spread out to match 4 WR's basically at the numbers or beyond.  Even then it's generally not like a high/low read or something, or designed Cover 2 or Cover 3 beaters.  You've got one guy on a Go Route, then the other usually isn't supposed to run near the middle of the field in case Corral tucks and runs.  I think one game I watched had every play with a trips formation to one side be either a WR screen, or an option play.

I wanted to see some anticipation throws that weren't built around an option concept.  It's difficult to tell without All-22 film.  So Corral is risky as his scheme doesn't give us enough information from TV angles.

Unless the option game catches fire for us in 2022 with Corral as QB, I'm not seeing how he takes this team to another level as a rookie.  It also hurts that he's almost as small as Heinicke.  At least his arm is good.

5 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

Do we have room for a 4th RB? Gibson starter McK 3th change of pase. Patterson prime backup. I don't see why you would add a 4th to that group unless it's a late round flyer. 

I wouldn't be surprised if we could grab one of two top corners at 11 (most teams need a rusher or oline). We could kick Fuller then back to his hybrid slot spot. You play most of the game with three anyway. 

Yes. In fact I would argue we need another RB. You can never have too many offensive weapons in this league. We need a true RB. I like Gibson but he is being over and miss-utilized.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

I think we're in serious need of a full workload RB. Gibson is a great weapon but trying to force him into the role of a bellcow back just isn't going to work. He's not the guy and IMO if we keep trying to fit that square peg into a round hole it will eventually end up with him injured or burned out.

Patterson has some of the characteristics of that kind of guy, but he's just too small. I think the way we've used McKissic up until now is more along the lines of how we should use Gibson. So my ideal scenario would be to pick up a sturdy RB who can carry a big workload, move Gibson into the role McKissic was in, and then maybe keep Patterson or Williams as a backup.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

Heck yes we do!  Patterson is a JAG.  He went undrafted for a reason.  We need a true RB with vision.  Offenses cannot rely upon one RB.  Its a position that wears out too much.  I'd be more than pleased if we drafted a RB in rounds 2 or 3.  

• Like 2

Yes as others have said I think we need to draft a stud running back/ even if it’s just to keep using Gibson the way we have but split his carries. I would argue that Patterson is expendable and we need one of the best backs out of this draft. 

I wanted to draft Najee Harris over Davis this last draft

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

4 hours ago, wilco_holland said:

Patterson impressed me a bit late in the season, but he shouldn’t be a primary backup.  He’d be a decent candidate for the PS though - I mean, yes, ideally you have guys with plus athleticism developing there (and that’s not Patterson), but he’s be a solid guy to call up as a #2 for spells.  

Gibson is a good back, and I think that gets lost a bit in the discussion about adding another.  I’m not sure that I agree with how many think Gibson should be used (that’s not to say I disagree either), I do think a quality back would be a welcome addition.  There’s a lot to like about Gibson, but 1) he gets banged up and 2) he’s not getting the most out of how well this line is blocking.  I wouldn’t be surprised to find out the coaches don’t have rb as big a priority as many here on ES.  Speaking of which, I wonder what coaches think about Johnathan Williams…

Corner is a sneaky need for us IMO.  With this group of dlinemen, upping our corner play and depth is a pretty big deal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skinny21 said:

Patterson impressed me a bit late in the season, but he shouldn’t be a primary backup.  He’d be a decent candidate for the PS though - I mean, yes, ideally you have guys with plus athleticism developing there (and that’s not Patterson), but he’s be a solid guy to call up as a #2 for spells.  

Gibson is a good back, and I think that gets lost a bit in the discussion about adding another.  I’m not sure that I agree with how many think Gibson should be used (that’s not to say I disagree either), I do think a quality back would be a welcome addition.  There’s a lot to like about Gibson, but 1) he gets banged up and 2) he’s not getting the most out of how well this line is blocking.  I wouldn’t be surprised to find out the coaches don’t have rb as big a priority as many here on ES.  Speaking of which, I wonder what coaches think about Johnathan Williams…

Corner is a sneaky need for us IMO.  With this group of dlinemen, upping our corner play and depth is a pretty big deal.

I agree with corner.

Wouldn't it be something if we were somehow able to get Stingley in the first AND get our quarterback?

I'll wake up from my dream world now. 

• Thumb up 1

What do folks think about Sam Hartman? It looks like his play collapsed toward the end of the season, but he looked like a pretty impressive athlete. He would make sense as a late day 2/early to mid day 3 pick.

edit- scratch that, he was a redshirt junior and is going back for his senior year. Probably for the best.

Edited by D’Pablo

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

I agree with corner.

Wouldn't it be something if we were somehow able to get Stingley in the first AND get our quarterback?

I'll wake up from my dream world now. 

I was looking at the different teams. It's not even an extreme longshot. Lots of teams have bigger holes elsewhere and might because of that let him slip. 

Why Corral?

The idea that Corral plays in a very collegey scheme isn't a revelation. High tempo.  Heavy spread.  Heavy RPO.  I've said so many times.  He wouldn't be the first coming into the pros with a scheme like that.

But here's why IMO

A.  Processes things fast, quick release.  I think he will adjust to NFL progressions

B.  IMO he's the best in this group at looking off safeties, pump fakes and all the body language to misdirect defenders.  Same stuff I said last year about Mac Jones

C.  Accuracy on all three levels

D.  Good arm strength

E.  Moxie and toughness as a player

F.  A real natural runner in open fie

G.  Elusiveness in the pocket and good pocket presence

H.  Makes off platform throws look easy

I.  A fiery vocal leader, good wok ethic

Why isn't he a top 5 pick IMO in spite of all of that?  IMO ALL these QBs have something that makes you pause.  With Corral its adjusting to the pro scheme, his size and IMO I'd like to see less dump offs.  He can go long.  But he was often a short or go long dude in college especially this season, I would have like to see more 2nd level throws.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 7

I am not opposed to Pickett.  But I will add some Pickett comps since he gets billed as the more accurate and polished QBs in this group.   PFF rates the 2 in the no pressure grade with almost identical scores.  PFF hypes the no pressure grade as a key telling metric.   Corral had the higher completion rate.  Higher YPA. Better turnover rate.  Better pressure to sack conversion.  Corral also had less time to throw.  Pickett had the 2nd most time to throw in this group.  Corral did so against a tougher schedule.  Also Corral had two big years in a row.  Pickett just one.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, skinny21 said:

Jonathan Williams did look good and agree it would be interesting to find out their thoughts on him. To me though, we need a better version of Williams and Patterson to team up with Gibby and McKissic

I too believe CB is a need, especially due to St-Juste's concussion issues. With 3 in a year, you saadly need to wonder if we see him again. I do think they look to bring back Danny Johnson who played okay but are going to need to brig someone else in. A real shame because I really like St-Juste, 

• Like 2