Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

19 hours ago, The Consigliere said:

I love the prospect, ftr, I just see the take as way over the top. Every Top RB in the ‘20 class and ‘21 class and at least 2 in this one had/have better CV’s other than CEH, snd the Taylor comp is sheer lunacy. Taylor’s profile matched well w/LT2, Barkley’s, and Adrian Peterson, and superseded Gurley’s, Zeke’s and Fournettes. I wouldn’t put Walker in the top 25 of the past 15 years whereas Taylor is a top 2-3 guy of this era. Just going by how they were rated in draft years since ‘20 I had Taylor, Swift, Dobbins, Akers, Etienne, Javonte, Harris, Breece and Spiller above him and maybe Charbonnet and CEH. Gibbons I underrated (and some others too).

I'm not letting hindsight revise Taylor into being a much higher regarded prospect than he actually was, because I remember how much of an island I was on with him.  I certainly was one of the only people around here highly valuing him, I had him as a top 15 player in his class, far higher than I saw from any other sources.  And he was in no way shape or form as highly regarded a prospect as all of those dudes who went in the top ten picks in their classes.  He was an almost universally undervalued prospect who went in the second round, which is my point with Walker.  Walker is a top 15 player in this class who is, once again, being universally undervalued and being projected as a second round pick.  Just like they did with Taylor, the draftnik community is overthinking it with Walker.

I can kind of talk myself into Breece Hall being graded higher than Walker by some even though it is pretty clear to me that Walker is better than him.  But they are close enough that style could be a tie breaker for zone heavy teams.  But I think any team who grades Spiller or Charbonnet ahead of Walker is crazy, and making mistakes like that is how you get passed in your rebuild by the teams getting the steals you pass over.  Walker was a Heisman Trophy candidate for most of the year, and he was far and away the best player on a team that massively over achieved and almost won the Big 10 despite not being particularly good.  He is a household name in CFB and one of the true stars of the season.  Those other guys were so much less spectacular and less productive playing for disappointing teams that ended up underachieving given their preseason expectations and recruiting quality.  They didn't play as well nor have the individual impact Walker did, and I think it's because they're not as good as him.  They're not special, and he is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I'm not letting hindsight revise Taylor into being a much higher regarded prospect than he actually was, because I remember how much of an island I was on with him.  I certainly was one of the only people around here highly valuing him, I had him as a top 15 player in his class, far higher than I saw from any other sources.  And he was in no way shape or form as highly regarded a prospect as all of those dudes who went in the top ten picks in their classes.  He was an almost universally undervalued prospect who went in the second round, which is my point with Walker.  Walker is a top 15 player in this class who is, once again, being universally undervalued and being projected as a second round pick.  Just like they did with Taylor, the draftnik community is overthinking it with Walker.

I can kind of talk myself into Breece Hall being graded higher than Walker by some even though it is pretty clear to me that Walker is better than him.  But they are close enough that style could be a tie breaker for zone heavy teams.  But I think any team who grades Spiller or Charbonnet ahead of Walker is crazy, and making mistakes like that is how you get passed in your rebuild by the teams getting the steals you pass over.  Walker was a Heisman Trophy candidate for most of the year, and he was far and away the best player on a team that massively over achieved and almost won the Big 10 despite not being particularly good.  He is a household name in CFB and one of the true stars of the season.  Those other guys were so much less spectacular and less productive playing for disappointing teams that ended up underachieving given their preseason expectations and recruiting quality.  They didn't play as well nor have the individual impact Walker did, and I think it's because they're not as good as him.  They're not special, and he is.

I actually loved Taylor. My only reservation was fumbles. You were higher on him. But you weren’t on an island.

29 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I actually loved Taylor. My only reservation was fumbles. You were higher on him. But you weren’t on an island.

Me, too.  I didn't talk a ton about Taylor but i definitely liked him.  He had monster numbers in college he was a hard dude not to like.  I recalll the red flags were fumbles and wear and tear -- tread on the tires. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Hopefully Dyami builds from last weeks game.  This is clearly another position where we need help.  I felt better about that spot before Samuel's injury.  

I have just started to dive into RBs, I'll hit WR soon, too. 

Michael Mayer is a beast, I think he ends up the first prospect I end up hyping for three years -- projecting into 2023. 

On 12/26/2021 at 5:17 PM, Riggo#44 said:

Or, it was a joke and you should settle down...

Hindsight is 50/50. It would have been a real hard sell, taking him over Young in that draft. I am more of the mind that our token playoff appearance last year cost us Justin Fields.

It was not and is not hindsight. A team w/o a franchise QB should draft a franchise QB period. This should be obvious. I would have taken Tua or traded down and taken Tua (the latter) and gotten  us a borderline bust rather than Herbert but that’s still preferable to the delusion that a franchise edge trumps a franchise QB. You always take the QB swing if you don’t have one, period. The only reason I’m skeptical this year is my concern that none of these guys are close to the prospect guys like Burrow, Tua, Herbert, Lawrence, and Fields we’re (I liked Lance (whose more of a Malik + to me and was okay with Mac, did not rate Wilson) while ‘23 is a vastly superior class so I’d try to gain assets for that class and bottom out in ‘22. Not gonna happen, I know. I think Wilson, Corral and Howell are the most attractive options of this years guys.

On 12/27/2021 at 6:49 AM, Koolblue13 said:

Trubisky is definitely an upgrade to Heinicke. I still don't know why Allen isn't getting PT. He's as bad of a decision maker as Heinicke, but at least has an NFL arm. I'd trade 2023,24 1rsts and Sweat for Carr and their 2nd this year. Draft Dean or Lloyd and sign Maye. 

I would not, not in a million years. ‘23 is a great draft, ‘22 isn’t.

• Like 1

On 12/27/2021 at 11:08 AM, zskins said:

They already have a QB that they paid for and will try to build around him. 

No, they’re tanking for ‘23.

On 12/28/2021 at 10:03 AM, skinny21 said:

I’ve got a lengthy wishlist this offseason, but man, I’d love to “finish” the defense.  Draft a good linebacker (or 2), sign and/or draft a good FS, add corner/dline depth.

Hate to say it, but I’m so jealous of the Cowboys being able to spend 9 picks or whatever to flood their defense with talent.  Instead, we’re going into the offseason with no LT, no tackle or guard depth, no qb, no FS, needing corner and dline depth, needing a linebacker (or 2), a #2 receiver, and not knowing if we’ll have a starting TE.  Blah.

image.gif.47f95278deb0351c2a6b4c66d2c50da3.gif

We aren’t relevant to the Cowboys. We’re relevant to teams ranking for Bryce Young. Nothing we do should be concerned w/the Cowboys.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I have a tough time with him.  And this is coming from a guy who liked him last year.  I've never loved him.   The more I digest, the more mixed i feel about him.  He has more red flags for me than the other 5 Qbs that are mentioned as the top ones.  He'd be QB #6 for me I think in this group.  As a 2nd round flier, maybe, what the heck but i don't see him as a first rounder, maybe late first rounder at best.

If there is a QB in this group (the top 6) who i think needs that stellar supporting cast to thrive its him.  I know its an odd thing to say about a QB that has mobility.  But when I watch him, more than the other 5 QBs, he is a totally different dude when he has great protection and his receivers are wide open.  His confidence when the sky is bright and sunny and eveything seems in harmony is sky high.  But, when you put pressure on him and the opponent's secondary is draped over his receivers -- he seems to be a totally different guy.  Night and day.

Will see how he does in the 2nd half.   He might change my mind if he improves.  But everything i've seen today so far confirms more of my concerns than what I like about him.  I've been watching this game with the all 22 live on ESPN, its a cool way to watch a game. 

In fairness to him it’s basically him vs Alabama. Michigan got an even worse beat down vs Georgia and their QB’s had far more surrounding talent to help them.

2 hours ago, The Consigliere said:

This should be obvious. I would have taken Tua or traded down and taken Tua (the latter) and gotten  us a borderline bust rather than Herbert but that’s still preferable to the delusion that a franchise edge trumps a franchise QB. You always take the QB swing if you don’t have one, period.

This is the thought process that leads to drafting Duane Haskins.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Consigliere said:

In fairness to him it’s basically him vs Alabama.

Alabama is tough.  But yesterday was not my first rodeo watching Ridder.  I'd guess I've watched about 9 games, some of them twice of Ridder over the last two years.

I've gone into detail about what i like and don't like about him.  I have some red flags about him and they manifested loudly yesterday.  Be one thing if it was just a one off thing. 

It was not and is not hindsight. A team w/o a franchise QB should draft a franchise QB period. This should be obvious. I would have taken Tua or traded down and taken Tua (the latter) and gotten  us a borderline bust rather than Herbert but that’s still preferable to the delusion that a franchise edge trumps a franchise QB. You always take the QB swing if you don’t have one, period. 

What if for example your team's scouts don't love Tua?  Take him anyway?   If so why?  

• Thanks 1

We aren’t relevant to the Cowboys. We’re relevant to teams ranking for Bryce Young. Nothing we do should be concerned w/the Cowboys.

Sorry, but I don’t understand what this has to do with what I wrote?

57 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

This is the thought process that leads to drafting Duane Haskins.

While I agree with you it also leads to drafting Jalen Hurts, Dak and a long list of others. Busts happen. But not picking any QB at all is just moronic. 2 QB's in 9 drafts is ridiculous. No matter how you slice it. 

1 minute ago, DWinzit said:

Not a shocker Howell is coming out

There is a definitive top 4 QB's after Ridders showing yesterday

Corral, Pickett, Willis and Howell in no sure order. All will go in the 1st round

Strong might have a shot of going in the first as well. He has the size, arm and read/recognition you are a looking for in a NFL QB. 

• Like 2

I think Howell has the goods. I like his approach to the game and his mental makeup as much as I do his deep ball. 

While others were sitting out their bowl games, he was fighting for extra yards in an embarrassing team effort against SC this week. 

This kid is a warrior. Does that mean he’ll pan out? No. But I like his chances. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I think Howell has the goods. I like his approach to the game and his mental makeup as much as I do his deep ball. 

While others were sitting out their bowl games, he was fighting for extra yards in an embarrassing team effort against SC this week. 

This kid is a warrior. Does that mean he’ll pan out? No. But I like his chances. 

He's been my guy. 100% agreed.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

While I agree with you it also leads to drafting Jalen Hurts, Dak and a long list of others. Busts happen. But not picking any QB at all is just moronic. 2 QB's in 9 drafts is ridiculous. No matter how you slice it. 

Strong might have a shot of going in the first as well. He has the size, arm and read/recognition you are a looking for in a NFL QB. 

Three quarterbacks, no?