Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Election 2022 (Dems in charge of Senate. Reps take the House. Herschel Walker headed back home to ignore his children )

Cooked Crack

Have you voted yet?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Have you voted yet?

• By mail
    • Early voting
    • Not yet
    • can't vote/not voting

Josh Mandel tests Ohio's appetite for red meat rhetoric

Josh Mandel is testing the bounds of Ohioans’ appetite for a fervently right-wing, populist message in his bid to win the state’s rapidly approaching Senate GOP primary.  

Mandel, a former state treasurer waging his third Senate campaign, is looking to grab the conservative mantle with a slew of far-right stances. The gambit has earned him the ire of critics in both parties but helped make him the candidate to beat in the primary by ensuring nobody flanks him to his right. 

Mandel is narrowly clinging to his front-runner status, keeping several opponents similarly lurching to the right at bay, though many primary voters remain undecided. If successful, his playbook could show just how far candidates can go to appeal to the GOP’s energized populist wing and still win. 

“If Josh is the nominee we'll find out,” one Ohio GOP strategist who’s neutral in the race said when asked how far right Mandel can push his rhetoric. “I think he will test those boundaries. Some of the **** he says is just f---ing ridiculous.” 

Mandel espoused far-right views during his unsuccessful 2012 and 2018 Senate runs. But he’s ramped up his rhetoric in this year’s race to replace retiring Sen. Rob Portman (R).  

Mandel’s campaign website is filled with the type of red meat phrasing the Trump wing of the GOP has adopted, including “protecting the Judeo-Christian bedrock of America” and “fighting against CRT [critical race theory], wokeism, and cancel culture.” 

He’s coupled that with using his social media presence to sound off on hot-button issues from mask mandates in schools to gun rights to immigration. 

To be sure, Mandel, whose campaign did not respond to multiple requests for comment, is not the only candidate testing that appeal.  

“Hillbilly Elegy” author J.D. Vance underwent a well-documented transformation from former President Trump skeptic to culture warrior and recently touted the endorsement of Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.). Meanwhile, former Ohio GOP Chair Jane Timken said she “wiped out the [former Republican Gov. John] Kasich establishment” and businessman Mike Gibbons tapped a former Trump campaign adviser to serve on his campaign. 

Mandel, though, has pushed his rhetoric noticeably further. He last month called Rep. Tim Ryan, the likely Democratic nominee, a “soyboy,” posted a video last summer of him burning a surgical mask and touted last month that “separation of church and state is a myth.” His Twitter account was temporarily suspended in 2021 after he created a poll asking which type of “illegals” commit more crimes, “Muslim Terrorists” or “Mexican Gangbangers.” 

Polling has shown that strategy could well pay off ahead of early voting, which starts on April 5. The primary date is May 3. 

Click on the link for the full article

Saw this and at first was thinking, WTF. total pieces of ****. While that is true, isn't this a case of cutting off your nose to spite your face? Will republicans who are not in lockstep with rump in WY, and there indications those numbers are bigger than we may think, cross over in the general election and vote for the Dem candidate to keep the trump crazy out? 

The table below suggest on first blush it makes no difference .And thier despicable effort to only allow voters to vote with thier party in primaries will be successful in putting a trump ****-head in the Senate. But if the independent (No lean) go mostly dem, it would not take many (~20%?) of the Rep to tip the scale. 

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-moves-close-off-liz-211741357.html

"The bill, introduced by Republican state Sen. Bo Biteman, is part of a push by some Republicans in the state to oust Cheney by blocking Democrats from switching parties to support her in her upcoming election against Trump-endorsed congressional candidate, Harriet Hageman."

image.png.beb9531a0220e338beffac346264aa0d.png

I’m not a fan of the idea of “switching parties” solely to sabotage the other parties primary. 

we have people here who did that with trump and the gop primary. Howd that turn out? Enjoying the rise of fascism?

i don’t know how you stop it with a law that doesn’t have unintended consequences. 

but I don’t like it. We need less people intentionally trying to screw thinks up, and more honesty with how people behave. 

18 minutes ago, tshile said:

I’m not a fan of the idea of “switching parties” solely to sabotage the other parties primary. 

we have people here who did that with trump and the gop primary. Howd that turn out? Enjoying the rise of fascism?

i don’t know how you stop it with a law that doesn’t have unintended consequences. 

but I don’t like it. We need less people intentionally trying to screw thinks up, and more honesty with how people behave. 

In general. I100% agree. I do not think there should be any laws about who you vote for in a primary or a regular election. I also would not cross parties. I thought about it to try and keep kemp from winning in GA. But in the end I voted for Stacy in the primary and in the general election. 

My curiosity is does it really help the people trying to crossover? To your point those who tried to keep trump out were not successful.  I don't think they will be successful with Cheney going the other way. And if they do get thier person in, I would think they would have a much harder rode to final victory. 

Just something I ponder when i see things like this. 

The people I’m talking about voted for trump. The thought was they wanted to keep the gop from winning, and he couldn’t win the general, so they wanted to help him win the primary. And on the list of causes for the rise of trumpism, it’s at the bottom, but I still goes to my point. 

I’ll take the consequences of a system where people behave honestly over a system where people try to be clever in sabotaging their opponent, every day of the week. 

from a legislative view my preferred stance is that it’s not anyones business who you voted for and why. But that doesn’t mean I can’t have opinions about why they voted the way they did, and the problems it may cause. 

And yeah I think it does help. Many elections are won on the margins. Push small numbers around the board matters. 

there’s a whole case going on right now revolving around an election in florida where they registered a candidate with the same last name, and it threw the election. 3rd party candidates are often referred to as spoilers. 

especially if it’s something a camping doesn’t expect and therefore doesn’t have it in their model and all their decision making is tainted by it. 

like when everyone underestimated what was going on in certain states in 2016. 

Score one for the Bush family over Trump

On Tuesday night, Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton was forced into a May Republican primary runoff with George P. Bush, a victory for the Bush family in their long-running feud with former President Donald Trump.

Paxton had been endorsed in the race by Trump, who called the embattled attorney general "strong on Crime, Border Security, the Second Amendment, Election Integrity and, above all, our Constitution."

Bush, on the other hand, is the son of former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush and a scion of the most famous family in establishment Republican politics. His father and Trump feuded regularly during the course of the 2016 campaign. Neither Jeb Bush nor his brother, former President George W. Bush, voted for Trump in 2016. (George W. Bush also revealed he didn't vote for Trump in 2020.) Their late mother, Barbara Bush, said of Trump: "He sort of makes faces and says insulting things."

"I guess what I'd say is, clearly, to the establishment: They got what they wanted," Paxton said in a speech to supporters late Tuesday. "They got me in a runoff."

With an estimated 96% of the vote in, Paxton stood at 43%, while George P. Bush was at 23%. The rest of the vote was split among two other primary challengers. Paxton and Bush will face off again on May 24.

1 hour ago, Simmsy said:

It's just the primary, but Beto had about 300k less votes than Abbott. Doesn't make me feel good...

Beto isn't going to win. Just not a good environment for Dems and the Texas electorate will be full of more crazies than 2018.

US Rep. Van Taylor ends reelection campaign after allegation of affair

U.S. Rep. Van Taylor, R-Plano, has decided to end his reelection campaign after he was forced into a primary runoff amid 11th-hour allegations of infidelity.

It comes just hours after he finished his five-way primary with 49% of the vote, just missing the cutoff for winning the primary outright. The runner-up was former Collin County Judge Keith Self.

WFAA has learned that Taylor has since called his runoff opponent, Self, to confirm he’s bowing out of the race.

Taylor made the stunning announcement Wednesday, writing in an email to supporters: "About a year ago, I made a horrible mistake that has caused deep hurt and pain among those I love most in this world." 

"I had an affair, it was wrong, and it was the greatest failure of my life. I want to apologize for the pain I have caused with my indiscretion, most of all to my wife Anne and our three daughters," he wrote.