Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

This is going to sound crazy but I would consider trading for Wagner (doing a 6th round pick for 7th round pick swap) and be willing to pay him the $16M he is due in 2022 in the last year of his deal. Why? When you look at the available free agents, there are literally no good options in free agency. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, method man said:

This is going to sound crazy but I would consider trading for Wagner (doing a 6th round pick for 7th round pick swap) and be willing to pay him the $16M he is due in 2022 in the last year of his deal. Why? When you look at the available free agents, there are literally no good options in free agency. 

Absolutely a competent linebacker will change this whole defense.  Not to mention he can teach Jamin how to play the position.

1 hour ago, Stone Cold said:

just too much against what we’re really trying to do. 

I know it doesn't seem like it's what we're trying to do, but we really are trying to win and putting Wagner in the middle of a defense that routinely looks lost, would certainly put us in the right direction. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I know it doesn't seem like it's what we're trying to do, but we really are trying to win and putting Wagner in the middle of a defense that routinely looks lost, would certainly put us in the right direction. 

This is exactly it. It is really hard to find good off ball linebackers these days - not that they are the be all end all but just look at PFF scores for linebackers across the league. They have the lowest grades of any position group by far. Too many guys that are good against the pass and bad against the run or good against the run or bad against the pass or mediocre in both categories. You then narrow that pool to signal calling middle linebackers that can do it all and that pool is light in terms of talent. It's why it is a dated view that taking a linebacker in round 1 is a bad idea. In fact, just the opposite is true. 

Even in his older state making $16M a year, Wagner is still one of the best middle linebackers in the league and, even if he doesn't deliver at a Pro Bowl level in 2022, I bet he still delivers at a level far exceeding any linebacker we've had since London Fletcher assuming he stays healthy. In fact, I bet he plays at an elite level if this DL is kept intact and plays up to their talent. Having him around would also really help Holcomb and Davis.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, method man said:

I think that's not A bad idea if that what it takes to get him.  I'd do this if mlb problem is filled are defense can take off  big time. Also, we should have signed Kj.Wright last year.he could of helped.

Edited by Redskins 2021

2 hours ago, Redskins 2021 said:

I think that's not A bad idea if that what it takes to get him.  I'd do this if mlb problem is filled are defense can take off  big time. Also, we should have signed Kj.Wright last year.he could of helped.

Wright would’ve helped but he was a 2 down player for the Raiders. He is well past his prime and doesn’t do well in the middle. He would’ve been a solid strongside backer

So...others do not see the Fletcher comparisons? Difference being Wagner played his career with a franchise QB, so he got the attention early. 

Who cares he's as old as he is? Could play 3-5 years. Few have longevity, but he's still elite now.

Better that $16MM than what they just paid Landon Collins for this year. Different stratospheres as far as resumes. Should be confident in Wagner and 2-3 years of better than anything else they can get during that time.

I think Rivera and Del Rio will do better with a true 4-3D. Focus on upgrading outside CB and FS. Everything else is ready to rock, theoretically. 

SLB - Davis aka Marcus Washington

MLB - Wagner aka Fletcher

WLB - Holcomb aka better than any I remember...Lemar Marshall that one year?

Edited by Silvernon
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Silvernon said:

So...others do not see the Fletcher comparisons? Difference being Wagner played his career with a franchise QB, so he got the attention early. 

Who cares he's as old as he is? Could play 3-5 years. Few have longevity, but he's still elite now.

Better that $16MM than what they just paid Landon Collins for this year. Different stratospheres as far as resumes. Should be confident in Wagner and 2-3 years of better than anything else they can get during that time.

I think Rivera and Del Rio will do better with a true 4-3D. Focus on upgrading outside CB and FS. Everything else is ready to rock, theoretically. 

Pretty sure if Wagner signed he would be younger or the same age as when London signed here. 

On 1/4/2022 at 3:07 PM, Silvernon said:

Davis is definitely not a SLB. Honestly, Cole is not either but would be better at it than Davis.

On 1/3/2022 at 10:02 PM, Stone Cold said:

Count me in the no category.  Too many miles and just too much against what we’re really trying to do.  Bring in a post Jun cut…draft a dawg or 2.  And actually coach to these youngins strengths.  🤷‍♂️ 

London Fletcher had some wear on the tires when he came here. Last time we had a very good LB, too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

London Fletcher had some wear on the tires when he came here. Last time we had a very good LB, too.

Oh absolutely.  I’m not denying the talent or potential impact BW could have here.  I’m merely stating the WFT have been building primarily thru the draft, shunning the shiny object approach.  Less we forget how the shiny object approach got us where we are.  Building thru the draft takes time.  You are gonna miss.  When you miss on a pick, it doesn’t cripple you financially like a fa does. When you build thru fa, you can’t establish and maintain a team identity.  

we’re trying to establish our identity.  OUR identity.  Retreads really shouldn’t apply

3 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

Oh absolutely.  I’m not denying the talent or potential impact BW could have here.  I’m merely stating the WFT have been building primarily thru the draft, shunning the shiny object approach.  Less we forget how the shiny object approach got us where we are.  Building thru the draft takes time.  You are gonna miss.  When you miss on a pick, it doesn’t cripple you financially like a fa does. When you build thru fa, you can’t establish and maintain a team identity.  

we’re trying to establish our identity.  OUR identity.  Retreads really shouldn’t apply

The Patriots just rebuilt their team through free agency and are playoff bound. It's who you spend the free agent $ on. When you overpay the Paul Richardsons of the world, that's when you fail. Paying up for a HOF bound player with something left in the tank isn't the worst idea in the world.

4 hours ago, mojo said:

What is Davis?  I know he's touted for his speed and athleticism but he seems slow and stiff to me.

Davis is a WLB. He seems slow and stiff because his instincts suck and he is slow to react. The domino negative effect of moving Davis to WLB is that Cole doesn't get to play there. Imagine if the FO had done what the folks on this board wanted them to do and take Darrisaw at #19 and Pete Werner in the 2nd. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, the burgundy and gold said:

Interesting about McCain, I know he was getting a lot of crap early in the season, has his play improved as the season's gone on?

Just checked PFF, 4 out of his last 5 games by their metrics he's been good with his peak game against the Raiders.  They think he had 2 horrible games early in the season.  And the Seattle game to them was really bad in mid season. 

Rivera seems to highlight him in interviews.   As much as i was annoyed by McCain's blame the media comments about the defense's struggles early.  They haven't had these crazy miscues where they've gotten beat deep that much in the 2nd half of the season unlike the first half.  And Rivera seemed to praise McCain as a smart player.  So i am gathering he might have something to do with it.

I don't mind him on the roster mainly because he's versatile.  He played slot, in the box and FS.  But I want him as a backup not the key starter.  it seems like they fell in love in the 2nd half of the season with three safety sets.  Gregg Williams style.  So if they do that in 2022, they definitety need depth.  This season has showed depth is key especially in the secondary. 

Here are the current PFF scores for the current starters

Screen Shot 2022-01-05 at 8.58.37 PM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2