Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

2 hours ago, DWinzit said:

Looks like stiff competition for him:

USA Today's Mike Jones reports the Rams, Chiefs, Raiders and Cardinals all have interest in free agent Adoree' Jackson.

Jackson has visits lined up with the Giants and Eagles next week. There's no shortage of interest in the 25-year-old if he leaves without a deal. Jackson is likely targeting at least the three-year, $30 million deal Ronald Darby got from Washington this offseason.

SOURCE: USA Today

Not sure who wrote that blurb, but besides getting the Darby thing wrong (as already pointed out), the Titans cut Jackson's rather than pay his fifth-year option salary of $10.244 million. But now Jackson is going to get $30 million? That does not make sense. If Jackson was really that beloved, the Titans would have either kept him or dealt him. I suspect Jackson gets a one year deal for maybe $5 million, probably less.

9 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Very good player well healthy. Sure Mayhew has enough insight on that. AJ Bouye might be getting pushed by Polian if he remains unsigned. Cheap deal due to his situation.

Previous regime would have brought in Tartt and Hooker for sure...:bye:

• Haha 2

At receiver, Hilton looks a solid shout for a #3 if that is what we go after. I actually think Sammy Watkins is worth a look on a cheap deal. Isaiah McKenzie looks an upgrade over S. Sims too. Depends if we would prefer to add that needed depth #3/4 type wideout in the draft.

TE, Richard Rodgers back, maybe Ertz if he gets a divorce in Philly. Then draft one too.

Heaps of vet DB to sift through,so,plenty of fall back options on the cheap if we want one.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

What's our latest Cap Figure anyone?. 

Salary cap space

As of March 17, 2021, Washington is projected to have $39,734,905 in cap space for 2021.

Washington rolled over $15.8 million in 2020 cap space.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/dknation.draftkings.com/platform/amp/2021/1/17/22228932/washington-football-team-salary-cap-space-2021-contracts-free-agents-brandon-scherff-alex-smith

Edited by SkinsGuy

With injured players coming back, with free agency improving these teams, and with very high draft picks, I think the NFC East is moving in a positive direction.  The division will be much better and more competitive than it was last year which, IMO, is a great thing.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

Salary cap space

As of March 17, 2021, Washington is projected to have $39,734,905 in cap space for 2021.

Washington rolled over $15.8 million in 2020 cap space.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/dknation.draftkings.com/platform/amp/2021/1/17/22228932/washington-football-team-salary-cap-space-2021-contracts-free-agents-brandon-scherff-alex-smith

Spotrac is the most accurate for NFL. 

CapFriendly for NHL, for instance. 

Spotrac has WFT with $20.9 million in remaining cap. With 'top 51' calculations, the draft picks could cut that number down to ~$15.5MM. 

Even if we go with 15 and change, that amounts to Fitzmagic and Jackson's Y1 cap hits. Mid-level starting QB and the top corner in free agency.  

Looking at last year, that 15 (in a year with a higher cap) gets you Fuller, Darby, Thomas, Schweitzer, McKissic, Lucas.

They could easily add 3-4 players like the 6 listed for last year. 

Edited by Silvernon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Silvernon said:

Spotrac is the most accurate for NFL. 

CapFriendly for NHL, for instance. 

Spotrac has WFT with $20.9 million in remaining cap. With 'top 51' calculations, the draft picks could cut that number down to ~$15.5MM. 

Even if we go with 15 and change, that amounts to Fitzmagic and Jackson's Y1 cap hits. Mid-level starting QB and the top corner in free agency.  

Looking at last year, that 15 (in a year with a higher cap) gets you Fuller, Darby, Thomas, Schweitzer, McKissic, Lucas.

They could easily add 3-4 players like the 6 listed for last year. 

Overthecap is also very accurate. Both sites are very good. OverTheCap used to have more and better resources but sportrac has caught up. Sportrac has caught up so at this point it more personal preference. I tend to use overthecap as I am more comfortable with their site. But I do check them against each other sometimes, jsut to make sure. 

People should not be surprised if we are done with free agency for right now. We addressed 3 high level needs and can go into the draft with all our options. Many of the players available now will be there later unless someone over pays them. They may add some depth on some minimum contracts but unless someone is released that they want I think we may be done. And thats Ok with me. There will be some notable cuts after the draft. Good idea to keep some money back in case someone shakes free that can help you. And nothing wrong with carrying over. And we have some players to get signed to LTDs. 

No reason to spend the CAP just to spend it. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Overthecap is also very accurate. Both sites are very good. OverTheCap used to have more and better resources but sportrac has caught up. Sportrac has caught up so at this point it more personal preference. I tend to use overthecap as I am more comfortable with their site. But I do check them against each other sometimes, jsut to make sure. 

People should not be surprised if we are done with free agency for right now. We addressed 3 high level needs and can go into the draft with all our options. Many of the players available now will be there later unless someone over pays them. They may add some depth on some minimum contracts but unless someone is released that they want I think we may be done. And thats Ok with me. There will be some notable cuts after the draft. Good idea to keep some money back in case someone shakes free that can help you. And nothing wrong with carrying over. And we have some players to get signed to LTDs. 

No reason to spend the CAP just to spend it. 

I think there is a considerable difference. I used to be enthralled by the NFL salary cap and spent a long time getting into it. OverTheCap let me down too many times. 

As far as not spending right to the cap, I disagree. 

Big money deals were just signed and the cap will grow even more than originally predicted pre-covid. Major sports took a hit but we're one of the only draws for viewership. The league held considerable leverage and cashed in. 

It was going to be ~15-20 million higher this year. Next year should be considerably higher with huge year-to-year growth.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Silvernon said:

I think there is a considerable difference. I used to be enthralled by the NFL salary cap and spent a long time getting into it. OverTheCap let me down too many times. 

Big money deals were just signed and the cap will grow even more than originally predicted pre-covid. Major sports took a hit but we're one of the only draws for viewership. The league held considerable leverage and cashed in. 

It was going to be ~15-20 million higher this year. Next year should be considerably higher with huge year-to-year growth.

I agree. OTC is quite often inaccurate in my experience of using it. I also think we have room to spend a bit more prior to the draft. Not much to go at though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

At receiver, Hilton looks a solid shout for a #3 if that is what we go after. I actually think Sammy Watkins is worth a look on a cheap deal. Isaiah McKenzie looks an upgrade over S. Sims too. Depends if we would prefer to add that needed depth #3/4 type wideout in the draft.

TE, Richard Rodgers back, maybe Ertz if he gets a divorce in Philly. Then draft one too.

Heaps of vet DB to sift through,so,plenty of fall back options on the cheap if we want one.

I mentioned McKenzie long ago as he’d be a returner for us too. Kid has serious burst and runs North and South and not Randel El bs that drops to ground.  Would be very cheap. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Silvernon said:

15 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I agree. OTC is quite often inaccurate in my experience of using it. I also think we have room to spend a bit more prior to the draft. Not much to go at though.

Not sure how long ago you used it but overthecap.com has rarely ever let me down. And it is much easier navigate, at least for me - although the two have come together to the look and feel are more alike now. For me sportrac is the one that's been off and very late to update. Admittedly, until recently, I have not touched them much for the last 4 yrs because they let me down too much and were much more difficult to navigate. 

I guess to each their own. But overthecap has never let me down in the last 5+ years I have used them. But as I said to start, both sites appear to be about the same now as each have learned from each other. It comes down to personal preference. 

As for the CAP, I am not saying no spending no matter what. My point is there does not need to be a rush and we don't need to do so just because we can. There is zero reason to spend our CAP right now unless there is someone they really want. If someone comes free they want and they can get them for the right cost fine. But in general, there is no reason to feel like you have to spend your CAP now.  But I don't see anyone out there right now that I think - we really need that guy! Also, after the draft, there will be some cuts and there could be someone we really want. 

And yes the CAP will likely go up next year but we will have other needs then. After the draft if there is no one they want, maybe they can get some of the guys coming up for contracts done early and save some of the future CAP for future needs. For me it's all about patience - which the FO has shown so far. So I am really happy. 

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Sat out for covid last year. Came back at 235lbs and is 6'4". Drew Cam Chancellor comparisons as a box safety with good coverage skills and is a LineBacker now for us.

Intriguing.

Does anyone know how a voluntary decision not to play to prevent covid transmission affects your contract status? Specifically, does that year toll or not?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

Intriguing.

Does anyone know how a voluntary decision not to play to prevent covid transmission affects your contract status? Specifically, does that year toll or not?

It did not toll for any of those players, though they got some sort of vet min benefits as salary. So he’s right where he left off 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

Intriguing.

It doesn’t toll. 

Also, why anyone would buy any stock in JHC is beyond me. He was a marginal tweeter of a prospect with good length, and has never shown anything as a pro. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1