Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

1 minute ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

PFF valued Curtis Samuel as a 3 year, $25m contract (so $8.33m per year). They've been pretty spot on so far. I don't know what Samuel's camp is trying to get for him, but I would be down for 3 and $33m. Make the cap hits $6/11/13 ... he can be a FA after his year 28 season. Another pay day potentially, and you get him to sign by giving him a solid 3rd year. I would guarantee almost all of this, so it's essentially paying him for 3 years and giving him another crack at FA at 28.

Better yet, gives us an exit ramp too so we can re-sign key players that will be due at that time. It's what I expect we're trying to go for.

43 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Interesting timing when on his deal :

Remaining $7.5M of 2021 salary fully guarantees on 3/21/2021 (full $12.5M guaranteed for injury)

I seriously wouldn’t be surprised if he gets let go.

Really no point in cutting him this year. 1.6 million cap hit regardless of when you designate him. May as well see what you can get our of him instead of wasting the cap space. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, steve09ru said:

Good!  I hope they get absolutely nothing for him and he just walks at the end of contract

Sounds to me like this deal is gonna get done if the report that they had a deal is true. If Russ Wilson really wants out of Seattle then this deal with the Bears is gonna get done before the draft. Wilson will force it to happen.

Just now, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Reddick was very highly thought of by JDR apparently, at the time he was drafted. No idea if he really does/doesn’t fit what we want though.

Can he cover? Because, if he's looking to come in and be a one-year prove it deal, then I'm all for it. He's still young, probably due a big payday at some point, and this would be the defense to really get a good year under his belt before getting paid.

But I was thinking / hearing Reddick was a DE/Edge in a 3-4. Spotrac has his projected value at 4 years $44m. If he's an edge, pass. If he's a dynamic OLB that can cover and rush, then I'm more interested. But I thought when his name came up a few weeks ago a couple on here shot down that idea altogether and said he wasn't a fit.

I do remember absolutely loving him coming out and at the time we needed someone like him.

3 minutes ago, Rskins91 said:

Better yet, gives us an exit ramp too so we can re-sign key players that will be due at that time. It's what I expect we're trying to go for.

Exactly. And, in theory, you should be drafting guys in the earlier rounds to hit that can come in and be cheap to replace him at that point. If you draft a WR in Round 2 this year, you'll have that player on the cheap for 2021-2024. Same with a WR drafted in Round 3-4 next year, and so on. If you draft well, you'll always have cheap contracts to fall back on. I think we need a WR2 pretty badly because we have only hit on one draft pick at WR really ever (McLaurin). We need to start hitting on those picks more. Harmon/AGG TBD obviously, but Sims/Sims are both UDFA too. So not like we really addressed it until it was too late.

1 minute ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Can he cover? Because, if he's looking to come in and be a one-year prove it deal, then I'm all for it. He's still young, probably due a big payday at some point, and this would be the defense to really get a good year under his belt before getting paid.

But I was thinking / hearing Reddick was a DE/Edge in a 3-4. Spotrac has his projected value at 4 years $44m. If he's an edge, pass. If he's a dynamic OLB that can cover and rush, then I'm more interested. But I thought when his name came up a few weeks ago a couple on here shot down that idea altogether and said he wasn't a fit.

I do remember absolutely loving him coming out and at the time we needed someone like him.

He wasn't good in Cardinals 3-4 but thrived in previous 4-3.  He's got good speed (4.5 40)

https://arizonasports.com/story/2298001/report-cardinals-decline-to-pick-up-contract-option-for-lb-haason-reddick/

As an off-ball linebacker in a 4-3 defense, Reddick recorded a career highs in tackles (80), tackles for loss (8.0) and sacks (4.0). He also added six QB hits and five passes defensed.

Here's his scouting profile from Walter Football back in 2017:

Summary: Reddick came to Temple as a walk-on cornerback before being moved to the edge. He found a home at defensive end as he eventually became a dynamic edge rusher, contributing as a junior with 46 tackles, 12.5 for a loss and five sacks. In his final season, Reddick took his game to another level as he notched 65 tackles with 22.5 tackles for a loss, 10.5 sacks, three forced fumbles and three passes broken up. The senior was big-time presence as a pass-rushing defensive end for Temple.

Reddick is too undersized - 237 pounds - to play defensive end in the NFL; he will have to move to outside linebacker. Reddick already started that change at the Senior Bowl, where he had a solid week of practice with some good sessions in which he flew around the field and was consistently around the ball. Reddick still needs a ton of development at his new position, but his week in Mobile provided more hope that he could make the transition.

In speaking with scouting sources, they say that Reddick is athletic with explosive speed and edge-rushing skills for the NFL. He is very good in space and versatile as a run-and-chase pursuit defender. They also say, however, that his limited experience at linebacker means he is going to need time to develop. His instincts aren't there yet, and he will have to learn how to read his keys quickly as a linebacker. Offenses will challenge his ability to make reads and are going to run at him consistently.

In the NFL, Reddick would probably fit best as an outside linebacker in a 4-3 defense given his body type. In time his speed and pursuit skills would make him a good fit as a Will (weakside) linebacker. However, he will need to learn a lot in terms of pass coverage and reading his keys for that position. In obvious passing situations, Reddick could be a dynamic edge rusher to get pressure on the quarterback. Perhaps the best way to get use out of Reddick early in his career would be as a part-time linebacker and a situational pass-rusher at end.

If he is drafted to a 3-4 defense, Reddick could play inside linebacker on run downs and move outside to rush linebacker in passing situations.

---------------------------

Actually, that profile combined with some of the things already posted on here about how he performed in a 4-3 are interesting. When did Arizona switch to a 3-4 though, because didn't he put up big sack numbers this year off the edge? He seems like he'd be a really solid blitz/pursuit guy. Not sure how that would fit into our defense though ... a playmaker like that couldn't hurt. And being a walk-on CB means he has SOME ball skills and coverage ability.

If he's looking to get into a situation where he can make plays, this might be the right set up. 1 year deal, get him in here to be an OLB and let him go get paid next off-season.

Reddick at OLB, Anthony Walker at MLB. Kick LB can down the road and only draft a guy if they fall in our laps. It's not a deep LB class, so maybe it's prudent to grab a couple short-term fixes like we did last year. Would also free up a pick in the draft for other areas as well.

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I think it was rumored that Smith would be a post June-1st cut but when it was announced, there was no indication of such. I think he got wiped completely as a pre-June 1st, which means we freed up the entirety of his cap hit in 2022, which helps our long-term team build.

It was rumored, but nothing official shows.  My comment was more to cutting Collins opens money for Harris and that as we talked about earlier you dont get that money till june 1 even if cut now.

PFF projections on some guys we are talking about in here:

FS Malik Hooker - 1 year, $2m

FS Tre Boston - 1 year, $2.5m

TE Gerald Everett - 3 years, $15m

WR Curtis Samuel - 3 years, $25m

ED Haasan Reddick - 1 year, $8.5m

OLB Eric Wilson - 2 years, $6m

OLB Raekwon McMillian - 1 year, $1.5m

Here's what PFF says about Reddick though .... so maybe we move back off the list haha.

107. EDGE Haason Reddick

Reddick’s strong finish to 2020 has looked nothing like the first 3 ½ years of his career, clouding his free-agent evaluation. Reddick was clearly out of place as a traditional linebacker, grading at just 35.4 in coverage in his first three NFL seasons — the third-worst mark among linebackers during that time. However, Reddick’s move back to his college position on the edge has rejuvenated his career, as his burst has been an asset when he rushes the passer. The question will be whether Reddick will continue this incredible stretch of play or if it’s just an anomaly, but he’s definitely worth a look as a change-of-pace No. 3 pass-rusher. And he may get paid like a No. 2.

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins

2 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Would jump all over these 3 for those contracts in a heartbeat. 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

ED Haasan Reddick - 1 year, $8.5m

Here's what PFF says about Reddick though .... so maybe we move back off the list haha.

107. EDGE Haason Reddick

Reddick’s strong finish to 2020 has looked nothing like the first 3 ½ years of his career, clouding his free-agent evaluation. Reddick was clearly out of place as a traditional linebacker, grading at just 35.4 in coverage in his first three NFL seasons — the third-worst mark among linebackers during that time. However, Reddick’s move back to his college position on the edge has rejuvenated his career, as his burst has been an asset when he rushes the passer. The question will be whether Reddick will continue this incredible stretch of play or if it’s just an anomaly, but he’s definitely worth a look as a change-of-pace No. 3 pass-rusher. And he may get paid like a No. 2.

I only mentioned his name because he's been bantered about on twitter but I don't care who it is as long as we address LB in FA.  LOL

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

If they pay his 12.5m that is guaranteed, they can just agree his release as he has no more guaranteed cash in his contract. He’ll take the money and run....

Then you designate June 1st and get the cap space then.

To get the 7.7mill in cap space with a post June 1st designation, it is based on 5 mill guaranteed salary and 13.8million SB remaining.  On the 5th day of league year the 5mill becomes 12.5mill guaranteed (or as you say give him the 12.5mill due to injury) then the 7.7mill drops to 200k in savings.  Waiting 3 months for 200k isn't worth it (It certainly doesn't get you a Harris).  They will wait and see how he recovers and if bad they will put on PUP or IR and try save actual money vs cap.

Edit: If they keep him with nothing guaranteed next year, they could do pre-June 1st cut and have the same 9.6mill hit they would making him a post-June 1st this year.  So there is really little incentive to cut him unless he's bad for the team lockerroom or they can agree to injury settlement well under the 12.5 mill guaranteed. 

image.png.d22f04931ba242367b7006b1c0175699.png

Edited by jsharrin55

34 minutes ago, Gibbsisgod2006 said:

No way Samuels compares to Garcon. Garcon was a true WR Samuels on the other hand is a gadget player. 

I'm saying that physically, on the football field, I see similarities between the two. Samuel's versatility is an asset, not a detriment. We already have a number 1.  In any case, if you look at the numbers, Samuel's production as a receiver has increased each of the four years he's been in the league.

Pierre Garcon ran like a running back after he caught the ball.  Who does that remind you of? 

Edited by Dan T.
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Really no point in cutting him this year. 1.6 million cap hit regardless of when you designate him. May as well see what you can get our of him instead of wasting the cap space. 

That’s a bit like keeping Haskins around because he had a fully guaranteed rookie deal running through 2021. 

The deal was done in the past under a previous regime, if he’s adding no value, move on.

To me it seems most obvious that we'll be signing Samuel at WR over anyone else. And in that instance, it makes sense because you have your outside WR in McLaurin, your slot guy in Samuel who can also play outside ... and then in the draft you're able to get the best outside WR that fits at your pick. That player comes in and competes with Harmon and AGG. And in the end, Harmon/AGG become WR4 and WR5 which is probably right about where they should be, with Cam Sims in the mix and keeping 5 WR.

Also, Samuel's dual abilities to lineup outside and in the slot don't preclude us from drafting a slot WR as well if that's BPA at a pick. Some of these guys (Rodgers, Elijah Moore) could certainly line up outside as well.

What you want is to get the ball to someone who can catch and move after the catch, regardless of where they line up, and Samuel does that.

Samuel + the raw kid from FSU would make a lot of sense ... since he's unlikely to go until Round 4. Or if you want more pedigree, grab someone like Terrace Marshall if he falls to 51.

• Like 2