Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

13 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Guys like Jack Doyle and Tyler Higbee are making over 7 each. Jonnu has never broken 450 yards and is expected to get about 10 million. I like Jonnu but the love affair people have for him strikes me as odd. There's going to be a lot of openings for TE thus making them in high demand. Hitting a lottery on a TE like that is like getting a Russell Wilson in the third. You struck gold which gives you the opportunity to spend limited resources on other more dire needs. I'd rather draft someone or sign someone like an Everrett or Hollister for half that cost. 

This is my thinking, I really like Jonnu, but do we REALLY need the best TE available in FA? I feel like picking a TE from the 2nd tier TE group and putting them with Logan Thomas would be more than serviceable.

And as good as Jonnu is, he's not one of those sexy game changing, spectacular TEs ala Gronkowski/Kelce/Kittle/Waller......he got a bunch of redzone TDs. After watching his highlight video from last season, Logan Thomas actually looked more impressive. 

I'd actually like to bring in Delanie Walker. He was a beast, he took last season off (because of covid) and is coming back, and I believe he is a FA also. 

Edited by LetMeSeeYourWarFace21

1 minute ago, max21 said:

So basically zero incentive for Scherff to sign a long term deal now? He’s going to make 18mil for one year and then become a FA next year after the salary cap increases again. I just don’t understand the management here 

I think the only thing that would give Sherff pause to signing the tag as opposed to pushing for a LTD is the possibility of a career threatening injury, or at least an injury that hurts/prohibits a LTD next year. Take the guaranteed 3 or 4 years now or gamble for a big LTD next year?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Guys like Jack Doyle and Tyler Higbee are making over 7 each. Jonnu has never broken 450 yards and is expected to get about 10 million. I like Jonnu but the love affair people have for him strikes me as odd. There's going to be a lot of openings for TE thus making them in high demand. Hitting a lottery on a TE like that is like getting a Russell Wilson in the third. You struck gold which gives you the opportunity to spend limited resources on other more dire needs. I'd rather draft someone or sign someone like an Everrett or Hollister for half that cost. 

I think the disconnect here is that for me this isn’t about a hypothetical FA TE with Smith’s production and resume—it’s specifically about Smith being available, who I think is a potential superstar at the position who just hasn’t fully blossomed yet. Early in his career it was Delanie Walker still being good, plus a poor offense—then it was injury and him just developing. Now he’s really flashing and he’s hitting FA at a point where a guy with a very high ceiling can be had for mid tier money? TE is a premier position in this league IF you are lucky enough to have an elite one...otherwise, every other team in the league has to scheme around their TE situation. It’s a big advantage to have multiple good TEs, it’s worth the resources imo if you hit on them correctly. Saying “eh well we got lucky once, we’ll hope he keeps it up and keep throwing mid round picks at the position and hope one of these Sprinkle types develops”—it’s not a way to gain an advantage in this league imo. 

A really good TE is also one of the toughest positions to hit on in the draft...letting another team absorb that development time and signing an ascending talent at a decent price seems like a smart move at this position.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

We have released guard Kevin Zeitler

📰: https://t.co/o7XUK8mN12 pic.twitter.com/5NcFbNSO1Q

— New York Giants (@Giants) March 10, 2021

Saw that. Add him to the glut of guards that are on the market.  So basically we have a one year 18 million lease on an oft injured guard that could have be replaced for half the price. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

My guess is that one of the targets ist a WR and I am very confident that it's Curtis Samuel. He was really good in Turner's short time as offensive coordinator there, He perfectly fits the scheme, he is good friends with Terry and he won't command top of the market $ like Golladay.

Second target I am guessing is either a LB or a free safety. 

I think we'll also go after Mariota once he ist cut.

8 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Saw that. Add him to the glut of guards that are on the market.  So basically we have a one year 18 million lease on an oft injured guard that could have be replaced for half the price. 

Foreal, I’m actually somewhat astounded they couldn’t get a deal done. But this is still Washington 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

A quick question for you fellow Washington fanatics, could it be that Rivera has got a trade on offer for Sherff?. I am still puzzled as to why we would pay Sherff 18m for 1 season. 

maybe hold tight and see if there is more mileage in that situation 

51 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I think the disconnect here is that for me this isn’t about a hypothetical FA TE with Smith’s production and resume—it’s specifically about Smith being available, who I think is a potential superstar at the position who just hasn’t fully blossomed yet. Early in his career it was Delanie Walker still being good, plus a poor offense—then it was injury and him just developing. Now he’s really flashing and he’s hitting FA at a point where a guy with a very high ceiling can be had for mid tier money? TE is a premier position in this league IF you are lucky enough to have an elite one...otherwise, every other team in the league has to scheme around their TE situation. It’s a big advantage to have multiple good TEs, it’s worth the resources imo if you hit on them correctly. Saying “eh well we got lucky once, we’ll hope he keeps it up and keep throwing mid round picks at the position and hope one of these Sprinkle types develops”—it’s not a way to gain an advantage in this league imo. 

A really good TE is also one of the toughest positions to hit on in the draft...letting another team absorb that development time and signing an ascending talent at a decent price seems like a smart move at this position.

Also, how a guy projects to be used in a scheme is critical. If Turner says I have 100 targets available in my scheme to a TE 1, but need a guy to catch screens, bust the seams, run drags, zigs, and wheel routes, now you have a TE who provides a much different dynamic skill set than Logan Thomas. 

I don’t have a speculative position, but can see trying to hit on a talent like Smith. A two year type commitment that will require good pay though. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

They have until July to get a deal done though. So to say “they couldn’t get a deal done” if they have plenty of time still, is odd 

You’re right but I’m still having post dramatic tag syndrome from Cousins I suppose 

• Haha 1

Paying a hefty price for a guard for one year especially in a cap strict year is just asinine to me, I mean it’s 18 million for a guard especially with all the options now. Just because we have the cash doesn’t mean we have to spend it 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Long Time Fan said:

Will there be a free agent QB worth swinging hard for?  I'm confident we will pick up someone but not sure there are any QBs hitting the market that we need to roll out the red carpet for.  My guess is that we already took big swings at QB (Stafford and maybe Carr) and the big FA swings he is referring to are for other positions.   

I see your point.  However, swinging hard doesn't mean spending a ton.  You just need to spend enough and show that you care.  You can buy a girl two dozen roses and take her to a fine restaurant or you can hand pick some wild flowers and pack a picnic lunch.  In both cases, I would say you are swinging for the fences.  So, I still think QB and LB.