Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

A handful of LBs coming off rookies deals we can take a chance on, need to draft one too.

Extend Jon Allen, slight restructure-extension for Moses us something I’d consider, bring back Scherff, both lines preserved for 2021. 

Still got adequate space for QB, WR plus another high end FA. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, UK Skins said:

I've said elsewhere I don't want Scherff at ridiculous money. Is there a big difference between playing  LG and RG? I know in Madden it makes no difference (!) but I'm sure there are nuances at the very least. I ask because Charles is always linked with the LG spot and not RG? KDawg might be best placed to answer but I'd really like to hear peoples' thoughts.

For some guys there is, yes. For others no. Even some great guards can struggle playing on the other side... or they switch and they’re okay but not as good.

There are also meh guards which can switch sides and then either be better or look the exact same.

But there’s a bunch of guys who are just more comfortable on one side. That’s where they’ve gotten most of their reps for years.

I don’t particularly advocate moving Schweitzer or Charles over and moving on with our day. Only way to replace Scherff if we let him walk is via draft choice.

Theres going to be some good guards available, but we’re going to be adding a significant need to our list of them. 

I don’t think letting Scherff walk is the move.

7 hours ago, HigSkin said:

I’ve been driving at this all offseason and I have been told repeatedly by more than one poster that we have the cap space and we have no worries there.

I don’t think we do still. But...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I’ve been driving at this all offseason and I have been told repeatedly by more than one poster that we have the cap space and we have no worries there.

That 35mil number is inclusive of Smith being on the books still. So we won’t have him, plus another top 10 QB in our 2021 cap.

Smith as a post 1 June move clears another 19mil on top of that 35mil. That pays for the QB element in that scenario, in year one of a new deal for said QB.

I agree we aren’t as cap rich as many think though. Minor adjustments like extending Jon Allen likely squeezes another 2-3mil for example. 

Plus, that above assumes 175mil cap floor, and most reports imply that will be 180mil plus. I’m sure the FO know that figure for certain....or almost anyway...

We certainly have no cap worries, in my opinion. Just need to approach the major investments wisely.

Edited by UK SKINS FAN 74
  • Like 4

56 minutes ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

Why is it we never have major cap space?  It seems like everyone else has years where they have tons to spend and it seems like even when we do its not that much honestly. 

We do and we could, but there isn't a reason yet. We need another few years of proper drafting and dedicated extensions to put us in the position to have a year worth throwing the house at.

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

For some guys there is, yes. For others no. Even some great guards can struggle playing on the other side... or they switch and they’re okay but not as good.

There are also meh guards which can switch sides and then either be better or look the exact same.

But there’s a bunch of guys who are just more comfortable on one side. That’s where they’ve gotten most of their reps for years.

I don’t particularly advocate moving Schweitzer or Charles over and moving on with our day. Only way to replace Scherff if we let him walk is via draft choice.

Theres going to be some good guards available, but we’re going to be adding a significant need to our list of them. 

I don’t think letting Scherff walk is the move.

That's why I do not see them going after one of the top players. They need to resolve the play callers on both sides of the ball, QB and MLB.

The rest of the roster holes will probably be done with shorter prove it type deals and the draft. 

The team is young, so the players do not all need to be 26 years old

3 hours ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

Why is it we never have major cap space?  It seems like everyone else has years where they have tons to spend and it seems like even when we do its not that much honestly. 

Well, we would have / do this year. It's all about context.

Projected leaguewide cap: $185m ... rollover $$ from WFT 2020 ... $18m ... projected team cap: $203m ...

After we cut Smith, our cap liabilities as of this moment would be $142m ... giving us about $61m in cap space.

Had the pandemic not occurred, the projected leaguewide cap had been around $220m. Add our carryover and our teamwide cap would be $238m. Meaning with a cut of Alex Smith, we'd be going into the off-season with $96m in cap space.

IF the cap ends up being $185m and we carryover that $18m, we still have $61m in cap space with Alex Smith being cut. That's still very good compared to the rest of the league.

Not sure people have really come to grips with the fact that the market is going to be a bit deflated this year. You might end up having similar APY deals, but a lot of teams are going to structure contracts to hit heavier in 2022 and 2023 when the cap is projected to jump back up about $40m.

Teams were "robbed" of about $35m apiece in cap space this year, even if the cap ends up being at $185m.

4 hours ago, KDawg said:

I made this same point awhile ago when looking at peoples lofty wish lists, and often the reply is how cap hell is imaginary, there are ways to work around it, etc.  

But that cap space dries up quick, especially when solid players are added, and if we are trying to build the team the right way with a long term vision for success that is sustainable, I think a lot of ppl will be disappointed with this offseason.  A lot of ppl were complaining last off-season, and it was the best bang for your buck off-season in years.

3 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

I made this same point awhile ago when looking at peoples lofty wish lists, and often the reply is how cap hell is imaginary, there are ways to work around it, etc.  

But that cap space dries up quick, especially when solid players are added, and if we are trying to build the team the right way with a long term vision for success that is sustainable, I think a lot of ppl will be disappointed with this offseason.  A lot of ppl were complaining last off-season, and it was the best bang for your buck off-season in years.

I think we have enough room for a Scherff, Darby, 1 premier FA (WR or LB) and another 1-2 mid-tier guys ($5-8m APY) and not mortgage our future cap situation in any shape or form.

Where it gets dicey is QB. Draft one? Sweet, you have a lot of cap flexibility. Trade for Stafford? Okay, maybe your "premier" FA at WR is Curtis Samuel and not Allen Robinson. Sign Marcus Mariota? Well then he fits in as a mid-tier FA and you sitll have flexibility to get some things done in FA.

Next year could be our "go big" year where we enter the off-season with $80+m in cap space. But we'll see, depends on where the salary cap rises to.

Roullier signed a 10m APY extension. He counts 4m in 2021 in Year 1 of that deal.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, KillBill26 said:

I think people get so excited to see a relatively high number in open cap space that they lose all sight of everything. Part of the large number in cap space is due to open roster space and rookie deals that have to be shored up soon.

Factor in a cap floor that isn't going to rise like it normally would in a non-Covid year and here we are.

Yes, we have some comfort in knowing we have one of the better cap situations in the league. But this offseason we're going to see exactly why cap hell is real. So many teams are going to have to find ways to get below the cap and that could hurt them in the future. We are in VERY good shape in that sense. But we don't have this crazy mound of cash to throw at multiple high end FAs. 

We need to get Scherff and Darby back. We need a receiver and ILB in FA and we will likely be adding a QB. That takes a good chunk. You can off set cap hits in future years depending on contract structure, but forecasting the cap for the next few years is not going to be an easy piece of work. It's likely things are much better next season and fans are in attendance, but at this point that is hard to say if a definitive guarantee. So offsetting hits puts you in jeopardy in future years. Obviously you do a little bit of it, it only makes sense. But you have to be careful how much you offset so that you don't destroy your cap situation in the coming seasons. 

With McLaurin, Allen, Payne, Ioan coming up in the next 1-2 years there is a lot of money that is going to be invested in those guys. We have to keep the books open for that or move on from some of those guys now. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I think we have enough room for a Scherff, Darby, 1 premier FA (WR or LB) and another 1-2 mid-tier guys ($5-8m APY) and not mortgage our future cap situation in any shape or form.

Where it gets dicey is QB. Draft one? Sweet, you have a lot of cap flexibility. Trade for Stafford? Okay, maybe your "premier" FA at WR is Curtis Samuel and not Allen Robinson. Sign Marcus Mariota? Well then he fits in as a mid-tier FA and you sitll have flexibility to get some things done in FA.

Next year could be our "go big" year where we enter the off-season with $80+m in cap space. But we'll see, depends on where the salary cap rises to.

Roullier signed a 10m APY extension. He counts 4m in 2021 in Year 1 of that deal.

I think what we might find is players like Darby, Samuel at 10mil p/y as per your other post become mid tier luxury players we can’t afford at that price. I would really like both those players, but do they represent real value. Maybe not. Darby has just played out a 4mil max deal, and FA is awash with DBs. Samuel is by definition a 6-8mil py player max.

We need a premier QB and a top WR. Those two moves are interlinked. Got to add both. Get Scherff back. Extend Jon Allen. Could still add that LB.

Maybe WR in the draft. Maybe not have a high enough pick to get o top end WR rookie prospect. Lots of variables. 

If we don’t bag a top QB, or WR, and then we overpay mid tier guys, that becomes a double kick in the nuts to me.

Now Darby at 3/24, first year cap hit 5/6 mill. Similar for Samuel. Probably can’t afford 2 receivers and a vet QB. That looks challenging to me.

Edited by UK SKINS FAN 74
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I think people get so excited to see a relatively high number in open cap space that they lose all sight of everything. Part of the large number in cap space is due to open roster space and rookie deals that have to be shored up soon.

Factor in a cap floor that isn't going to rise like it normally would in a non-Covid year and here we are.

Yes, we have some comfort in knowing we have one of the better cap situations in the league. But this offseason we're going to see exactly why cap hell is real. So many teams are going to have to find ways to get below the cap and that could hurt them in the future. We are in VERY good shape in that sense. But we don't have this crazy mound of cash to throw at multiple high end FAs. 

We need to get Scherff and Darby back. We need a receiver and ILB in FA and we will likely be adding a QB. That takes a good chunk. You can off set cap hits in future years depending on contract structure, but forecasting the cap for the next few years is not going to be an easy piece of work. It's likely things are much better next season and fans are in attendance, but at this point that is hard to say if a definitive guarantee. So offsetting hits puts you in jeopardy in future years. Obviously you do a little bit of it, it only makes sense. But you have to be careful how much you offset so that you don't destroy your cap situation in the coming seasons. 

With McLaurin, Allen, Payne, Ioan coming up in the next 1-2 years there is a lot of money that is going to be invested in those guys. We have to keep the books open for that or move on from some of those guys now. 

With that said, it’s time to spend— Done with Dan pocketing money not spent year after year. Not saying it all has to be done now, but hope the organization is aggressive for next few years. Can careless about carry over that continues to not be spent. 

21 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Could still add that LB.

There is no could about it. Have to. 

Maybe it's not top end. But we have to sign a LB that can cover and plays downhill football. Even THAT is an improvement over what we've had.

Edited by KDawg

16 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Maybe it's not top end. But we have to sign a QB that can cover and plays downhill football. Even THAT is an improvement over what we've had.

That's a super typo KDawg. You've solved our problem. A QB that can ALSO play LB 🙃

1 minute ago, UK Skins said:

That's a super typo KDawg. You've solved our problem. A QB that can ALSO play LB 🙃

I don’t see a typo. Why did you edit my post to make it look like I said QB instead of LB! I’d never type that incorrectly. 

okay I edited it. :(

7 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

We lost to the Bucs because of LBers, more than QB. A great MLB is what would be wasting our young talent. 

2022 is the year we go buck wild in FA if we need too. 

100%. LB is our top need. Even more than QB. Yes, I realize that’s blasphemous around here. But it’s how I feel.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Maybe it's not top end. But we have to sign a LB that can cover and plays downhill football. Even THAT is an improvement over what we've had.

We do. I think we roll the dice on a lower priced LB coming off a rookie deal, and take another in the mid rounds.

It pretty difficult to predict what resource we will have left until this QB merry go round unfolds. Would be good to get some clarity on that soon.

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

100%. LB is our top need. Even more than QB. Yes, I realize that’s blasphemous around here. But it’s how I feel.

Agreed 1000% percent. So many people saying defense needs some minor pieces/additions, which is true in a sense. But it also needs a MAJOR upgrade at LB for them to get to an elite level and be able to mitigate some of the deficiencies  on offense.

• Like 2

Much as I want a new QB I agree the LB issue is as big (if not bigger KDawg!). Arguably Tampa Bay are in the Superbowl because of their defence. It certainly looked that way to me against us, New Orleans AND Green Bay. Kansas have the amazing Mahomes but even there their shut-down coverage set that victory up. 

FS Malik Hooker - 1-2 year deal for $2-4m per year

CB Gareon Conley: 1-2 year deal worth $2-4m per year

TE Gerald Everett: 3 year deal worth $4-6m APY

Some of the PFF Top 100 guys that fall into that lower-tier contract level. All are young, have upside, would want shorter-term prove-it deals. Contract numbers are suggestions per PFF

Has there been any concensus/guidance on WHO might be available in FA that fits what we need at LB. I am far less familiar with the needs of a 4-3 defense now as far as MLB and OLB goes. I assume Holcomb is penciled in for one of the OLB spots. I know we need upgrades there across the board.

Lavonte David appears to be the cream of the crop but I doubt he gets away from TB at this stage in his career. Then there's Jayon Brown and Matt Milano, but both of their profiles read as coverage LBs that struggle in the run-game, and I think we're looking for a true sideline to sideline MLB, right? So maybe the draft is the best/only real chance for a major upgrade there

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@kingdaddy

Taken from QB thread:  You may be right but I'd argue that corner is not high on the list of needs when compared to LB, WR, QB.....our corners were pretty good this year and if we add some athletcism at LB where JDR can use them as blitzers, etc then I think our corners get even better. Hopefully Landon Collins will help too back there.

Absolutely agree that those spots trump corner for us.  With that said, 1) playing press man fits better with this Dline and we probably can’t do it with the guys we have, 2) Darby as a FA, and Moreau as well means our well is almost dry, 3) Moreland’s catch rate allowed was terrible, 4) this dline will be wasted if the guys playing with Kam/Kendall blows, and 5) we need to be able to hang with the top offenses if we want a playoff run.  Being able to stop the run by adding linebacker talent will help, but we need secondary help.  

And if I’m being honest, I think our current weapons are good enough that if we were to add a good qb, then either drafting a couple receivers, or adding a decent FA and draftee makes this a solid O.  Put another way, we have a receiver, TE and pass catching back that are top half of the league, so adding just a bit more talent can get us in good enough position to contend on that side of the ball.  Maybe I’m way off base though (and I would be concerned about what happens if McLaurin, or even Thomas were to miss significant time).  

Sounds like I’m arguing for corner over receiver, but all I really mean is I would seriously consider looking to add 2 (or more) to each group via draft/FA and avoid higher priced guys.  

Edited by skinny21

9 hours ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

Only 4 teams have more.  Gap to 4 sure, but Smith going adds 15+ (depedning on retire, pre/post June 1st..).  

edit: also consider the effective.  Bucs have 24 here, but 31 players are on contract, 22 minimum deals get them to full roster (hence the 11 effective).   Basically showing 14/32 teams are currently over the cap.

image.png.3d4b4f6cf91a11ce6a0df2f35e5fb036.png

Edited by jsharrin55
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

So LaVonte David projects as ~13mill and ARob ~20mill. 

Considering we have a defense ready to be super exciting, getting David and say Anthony Harris at FS at 14, I see that as 2 premier and then one Curtis Samuel/Corey Davis tier 2 type.  While Robinson would be nice (I don't see it without a true QB...), I think positions that are premium but generally lower average cost is my go to (LB and FS at 27 vs 1 WR at 20).  Go offense heavy in the draft. 

None of that addresses QB though, unless 19 is a surprise fall.

Edited by jsharrin55