Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What book are you reading?

The Evil Genius

• 3 weeks later...

I just finished Anxious People. It is simultaneously hillarious and deep. There is a lot of it that seems it could come straight from a standup routine...abd then it mixes in things like quotes from Martin Luther. I would reccomend this book to anyone in need of a smile.

On 12/31/2021 at 12:58 PM, Destino said:

Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie

I enjoyed it.  The whole hive of people sharing a mind with a ship thing was fun to let roll around in my head.  So I’m on the second book Ancillary Sword now.  Pretty safe bet I’ll hit the third book and finish the series next.  Not the best science fiction I’ve read, but the writing is very good.  

I'm currently reading Bram Stoker's Dracula.  If you want to read an old book, try this:

A Search Engine That Finds You Weird Old Books

(tl;dr — if you want to skip this essay and just try out my search tool, it’s here.)

Last fall, I wrote about the concept of “rewilding your attention” — why it’s good to step away from the algorithmic feeds of big social media, and find stranger stuff in nooks of the Internet.

I followed it up with a post about “9 Ways to Rewild Your Attention” — various strategies I’d developed to hunt down unexpected material.

One of those strategies? “Reading super-old books online.”

As I noted, I often find it fun to poke around in books from the 1800s and 1700s, using Google books or Archive.org …

Any book published in the U.S. before 1925 is in the public domain, so you can do amazingly fun book-browsing online.

t’s rarely dull.

Still, sifting through old books can be a hassle. You have to go to those search sites and filter for the right vintage (and public-domain-status). It’s a pain.

So: I decided to partly automate this — by making my own search tool.

Behold the Weird Old Book Finder.

Click on the link for more

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I’m reading “I, Robot” and so far so good.  I thought it would maybe resemble the movie in some way, but it’s a bunch of short stories I guess?  

also wanted to share that Sanderson wrote a bunch of extra books during the pandemic and decided to release them as a kickstarter… and he’s rich all over again!  lol

Stephen King talked this book up a bit ago and really digging it so far (only 25% done).

Warning, pulpy cover incoming.

4136LE+h34L._AC_SY780_.jpg

In this extraordinary novel of World War II, an American police detective trapped while trailing a killer overseas struggles to survive with only the help of a total stranger and his daughter, who risk their lives to protect him. FIVE DECEMBERS is a gripping thriller, a staggering portrait of war, and a heartbreaking love story, as moving and unforgettable as ALL THE LIGHT WE CANNOT SEE.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Five Decembers was really good BTW. Hope to see it adapted for a film or show and definitely would read more of that world if possible. 

Waiting now on Peng Shephard's "The Cartographers" to drop tomorrow.  Her debut book, The Book of M, was fantastic.

Edited by The Evil Genius

Recently finished CASTE by Isabel Wilkerson.  Difficult read and not for the faint of heart but absolutely worth it. 

On to TEAM OF RIVALS by Doris Kearns Goodwin.  Just getting started and my first foray into American politics. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Currently:  Breakfast of Champions, Kurt Vonnegut 

I, Robot was a fun collection of stories, none at all resembled the Will Smith movie.  I enjoyed it all the same.  I’ve really had a good time these last two years checking off some science fiction classic off my list.  

Knocked off Expanse's last novella, Sins of our Fathers. I should have been able to guess who the main character was, and it was good to see one last little bit of what becomes of him. It's an ambiguous ending but it fits well enough with how the main book series ended. Now I can say I've truly watched every episode and read every book about the series. I doubt I'll ever get around to seeking out the comics though lol

• 1 month later...

I'm now a little more than halfway through CJ Cherryh's Morgaine Cycle. I'm enjoying it. The story is set in a medieval world, and is about a woman named Morgaine whose singular goal and obsession is to destroy "gates" that allow people to travel between worlds and time, but have also been used by forces of evil for evil means. Her latest attempt to destroy a gate failed with disastrous results to the army that followed her. She afterwards disappeared for a hundred years, passing on into legend as a villain willing to use whoever she can to achieve her goal regardless of the cost. When she returns, she describes herself as having "no luxury left for virtues".

She is not the main character of the story, however. The story is told from the perspective of Morgaine's companion, Vanye. Morgaine is more than willing to achieve her task alone with her warrior skills and magical/advanced tools, but Vanye decides to follow her and travel together through each gate, sealing them as they pass.

Morgaine and Vanye are the "heroes" of the story for trying to achieve a seemingly noble goal, but because it's two people against many, they are forced to hurt people along the way to achieve their goals.

The story is rather bleak at times, but the trust that slowly builds between the two characters makes it worth it.

Edited by NickyJ
  • Like 1

Caste is a gripping read.  It would definitely be amongst the banned books in state schools and libraries.  Sigh...but we do have a despicable history when it comes to how we have treated Blacks in this country.

I am two books into the Lightbringer series by Brent Weeks.  The worst part of it has been the wait for the audio books in our library.  We had the first and fifth books, but not books 2-4.  When I called up and asked about it, pointing out it was a best selling series, the librarian agreed we should have the rest.  She said she would push for them to be gotten and call me when/if they got them.  She called me, and I went to check out book two.  I was eighth in line.  Grrr.  Two months later I got book 2.  Now in another month, I will get book 3.  Still, the books have thus far been worth the wait.  

Just finished Dark Matter by Blake Crouch.  I’ve read alternate universe stories before but this one had a twist I hadn’t seen before.  I enjoyed it even though the main character spent far to much time whining about missing his wife.  Easily forgivable sin though, the book was still enjoyable.  

Currently reading Chasm City by Allastair Reynold.  Good so far.

• Like 3

I liked Dark Matter.

Finished The Cartographers, the 2nd novel by Peng Shepherd (her first was the very solid The Book of M). Definitely recommend both. 

Also just read the first book of Ben Winters "The Last Policemen" trilogy. Definitely reads different now than when it was written 10 years ago. 

On 4/27/2022 at 3:43 PM, Skinsfan1311 said:

I'm revisiting Christopher Moore's "The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove",

I had to look that up to confirm it’s real and you weren’t just trolling.  

The preview is harder to believe than the title.  lol sounds wild.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Destino said:

I had to look that up to confirm it’s real and you weren’t just trolling.  

The preview is harder to believe than the title.  lol sounds wild.  

Christopher Moore is cleverly funny.  The only other authors that make me lol as much are Terry Pratchett & Carl Hiaasen.  They are the only authors whose books I revisit.

I can recommend them all.  "The Lust Lizard" is 2nd in the series, (there are three, and should be read in order)

Edited by Skinsfan1311