Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What book are you reading?

The Evil Genius

11 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

You really suck at self promotion. 

Hey man, most other academics whore themselves out on Twitter. I just have a link and a post on a football message board. But thanks!

4 minutes ago, JCB said:

Hey man, most other academics whore themselves out on Twitter. I just have a link and a post on a football message board. But thanks!

You are among friends man, be a whore. 😝 

12 minutes ago, Destino said:

What if he offered to sit next to you and read it to you during your commute?  

All he needs to do is identify the book and maybe post a link to where it can be bought. 

Im a cheap date, but at least make it easy for me. 

• Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...

Just finished Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein.  I’d somehow never read it.  Loved it, but it’s definitely not for everyone.  It’s a classic so it spends an enormous word count describing everything.  Mountains, trees, leaves, breezes, feelings, all of it.  I can appreciate this style but I prefer modern pacing.  

One thing that stood out that I wanted to mention is that none of the male characters in this book feel male.  Not sure if that was intentional or if men in her day were really this… well, ridiculous.  Victor Frankenstein spends most of his time whining and when stressed, swoons.  I mean literally, the man actually falls over unconscious and requires days to be nursed back to health.  

if anyone is wondering how Franks monster is described, my impression was a mummified skinny nba center with hair long enough to conceal his face.  Skin is dried out and discolored, but not described as green.  No bolts in his neck.  Also, supernaturally fast and strong.  I expected the strength, didn’t realize the original was quick.  

Anyway, I loved it, and I’m glad to finally have read the OG monster book.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Destino said:

Just finished Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein.  I’d somehow never read it.  Loved it, but it’s definitely not for everyone.  It’s a classic so it spends an enormous word count describing everything.  Mountains, trees, leaves, breezes, feelings, all of it.  I can appreciate this style but I prefer modern pacing.  

I think one of the themes of the book was the industrial revolution and how that was changing the landscape and society.  So it makes sense that the mountains, trees, leaves, and breezes were being described because that is being contrasted with the industrial revolution--what Shelley thought was somewhat unnatural.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

4 hours ago, Destino said:

One thing that stood out that I wanted to mention is that none of the male characters in this book feel male.  Not sure if that was intentional or if men in her day were really this… well, ridiculous.  Victor Frankenstein spends most of his time whining and when stressed, swoons.  I mean literally, the man actually falls over unconscious and requires days to be nursed back to health.  

if anyone is wondering how Franks monster is described, my impression was a mummified skinny nba center with hair long enough to conceal his face.  Skin is dried out and discolored, but not described as green.  No bolts in his neck.  Also, supernaturally fast and strong.  I expected the strength, didn’t realize the original was quick.  

Anyway loved it, and I’m glad to finally have read the OG monster book.  

I tried to get through it years ago.  Couldn't do it.    Maybe I'll revisit it.

I just finished They Want to Kill Americans by Malcolm Nance. It’s scary reading but I’d highly recommend it. I also recently finished listening to The Nickel Boys by Colson Whitehead. It’s historically based fiction about a horrific boys reform school in Florida. Whitehead is one of my favorite authors.

Finally, the Bobiverse is a light sci-fi series that I couldn’t get enough of. 

Edited by The Sisko
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I tried to get through it years ago.  Couldn't do it.    Maybe I'll revisit it.

If sitting down to read it proves disagreeable, just listen to the audiobook.  With old books such as this, they’re freely available.  Spotify has a few versions allowing you to choose between narrators.  Audible doesn’t require a credit either.  I’m sure there are even a few on YouTube.  

While we’re on the subject I listened to HP Lovecraft on Spotify.  They carried me happily through many hours of sitting in traffic.  

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

4 hours ago, Destino said:

If sitting down to read it proves disagreeable, just listen to the audiobook.  With old books such as this, they’re freely available.  Spotify has a few versions allowing you to choose between narrators.  Audible doesn’t require a credit either.  I’m sure there are even a few on YouTube.  

While we’re on the subject I listened to HP Lovecraft on Spotify.  They carried me happily through many hours of sitting in traffic.  

Thanks!  

I rarely do audiobooks. If I commuted,  and sat in traffic a lot, I would be all over them.

My Mom and some of my friends really enjoy them.  

Audiobooks are all that and a bag o chips! I listened to a bunch of them when I used to drive around the state for work. Now that I’m parked behind a desk, I’ve found that I have to make time for them. It’s definitely worth it because I’d rarely read books if I couldn’t get it in while I’m doing other stuff.

35 minutes ago, The Sisko said:

Audiobooks are all that and a bag o chips! I listened to a bunch of them when I used to drive around the state for work. Now that I’m parked behind a desk, I’ve found that I have to make time for them. It’s definitely worth it because I’d rarely read books if I couldn’t get it in while I’m doing other stuff.

Completely agree. Just finished Bleak House read by Simon Vance and my admiration for the job he did hard to put into words. I drive 2+ hours a day and been doing audio books for years. Vance’s work is first rate!

I’m on to my third book by Dostoyevsky (The Idiot) and while his works are always guaranteed to please, I’m already missing Vance’s voice and delivery!

• Like 1

A few weeks ago, I finished Colson Whitehead's, The Underground Railroad, and I really enjoyed it.

Now i am back to listening to James Corey's, The Expanse series.  I am currently on Abaddon's Gate, and I enjoy the thoughtful Sci-fi action series. 

• Like 1

I finished The Strain trilogy.  It was adequately good for the time investment.  Very different from the TV show, neither better nor worse.  

Moved on to Moby Dick.  Ironically, Moby Dick is my white whale of books.  I've tried to read it 3 times previously but never got more than 1/4 of the way through.  It is obviously a classic and arguably the greatest American book ever written (or so I'm told), but man, it goes off on tangents. Many many tangents.  Anyways, determined to get through it this time.  

Finally, I've been getting a lot of audiobooks through my local library, because it's free and Audible is not.  They currently use the Overdrive app but are transitioning to Libby.  Anyone use the Libby app before?  

I use the Libby app.  Not a great app for simply browsing the selection but it’s search feature works and I’ve never had an issue with audio books.  

Just finished the Island of Dr. Moraeu.  It was shorter than expected, but proved to be fun quick read.  The science doesn’t hold up well at all but the moral questions still retain some of their validity.  

not sure what I’ll go with next but the classics have my attention.  

• Like 1

On 8/11/2022 at 9:14 PM, FuriousD said:

Completely agree. Just finished Bleak House read by Simon Vance and my admiration for the job he did hard to put into words. I drive 2+ hours a day and been doing audio books for years. Vance’s work is first rate!

I’m on to my third book by Dostoyevsky (The Idiot) and while his works are always guaranteed to please, I’m already missing Vance’s voice and delivery!

I think the BBC (though it may have been PBS) did a decent adaptation of Bleak House about 10 to 15 years ago.

On 8/18/2022 at 9:24 AM, PleaseBlitz said:

I finished The Strain trilogy.  It was adequately good for the time investment.  Very different from the TV show, neither better nor worse.  

Moved on to Moby Dick.  Ironically, Moby Dick is my white whale of books.  I've tried to read it 3 times previously but never got more than 1/4 of the way through.  It is obviously a classic and arguably the greatest American book ever written (or so I'm told), but man, it goes off on tangents. Many many tangents.  Anyways, determined to get through it this time.  

Finally, I've been getting a lot of audiobooks through my local library, because it's free and Audible is not.  They currently use the Overdrive app but are transitioning to Libby.  Anyone use the Libby app before?  

I tried reading Moby Dick at 18 and could not finish and could understand the book.  Read it again in my early 30's and finish though I think a lot still went over my head.

Edited by philibusters

Just started Blake Crouch's Recursion.  Had read Dark Matter and a Wayward Pines novel of his before so I know his style or weirdness. Also wanted to knock this out before Overdrive delivers his newest one, Upgrade. 

Moby Dick to me will always be the one book that everyone overvalues. I'd rather reread Huck Finn or To Kill a Mockingbird or another top book than Moby Dick again.

Also Libby/Overdrive are basically the same thing. Libby is just the newer version of the Overdrive app (released by Overdrive). There are some minor differences but with the Overdrive app being phased out soon, I'd recommend getting used to Libby. 

Edited by The Evil Genius

I’ve never read Moby Dick and really haven’t felt any inclination to doing so.  Maybe I’ll give it a shot, but everyone describes it as relentlessly boring.  Not exactly the sort of recommendation that moves a book up the reading list.  

9 minutes ago, Destino said:

I’ve never read Moby Dick and really haven’t felt any inclination to doing so.  Maybe I’ll give it a shot, but everyone describes it as relentlessly boring.  Not exactly the sort of recommendation that moves a book up the reading list.  

So far (I'm on chapter 16 of 135) it's not boring per se, it just goes off on tangents that are interesting but not relevant to the plot, but I expect will be relevant to the overall message/symbolism of the book.  It's made me laugh out loud at least twice so far.  I'm not trying to sell it, its not an easy read, but it's very different from pop fiction insofar as it spills SO MUCH ****ING INK on details that paint an incredibly rich picture, but aren't entirely necessary.  For example, a main character carries a tomahawk; Melville describes it FOR TWO AND A HALF PAGES when he could have just written "a tomahawk."

I seem to recall 20 years ago when I first tried to read it and put it down, my dad telling me that authors back in Melville's day got paid by the word. In which case Melville must've been rich AF. 

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Haha 1

I'm halfway through Kim Stanley Robinson's Ministry for the Future.  I can hardly put it down.  The first chapter is one of the most harrowing things I've read in a long time.  Really interesting, and highly recommended.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

OK Blake Crouch's Recursion is a solid sci-fi book. Almost done with it so I had no idea going in that it involved

Spoiler

Time travel 

Just read that it's being adapted to a Netflix movie and universe by Matt Reeves and Shonda Rhimes. 

Edited by The Evil Genius

On 8/18/2022 at 1:50 PM, Destino said:

On 8/18/2022 at 1:59 PM, PleaseBlitz said:

So far (I'm on chapter 16 of 135) it's not boring per se, it just goes off on tangents that are interesting but not relevant to the plot, but I expect will be relevant to the overall message/symbolism of the book.  It's made me laugh out loud at least twice so far.  I'm not trying to sell it, its not an easy read, but it's very different from pop fiction insofar as it spills SO MUCH ****ING INK on details that paint an incredibly rich picture, but aren't entirely necessary.  For example, a main character carries a tomahawk; Melville describes it FOR TWO AND A HALF PAGES when he could have just written "a tomahawk."

I seem to recall 20 years ago when I first tried to read it and put it down, my dad telling me that authors back in Melville's day got paid by the word. In which case Melville must've been rich AF. 

I'm sad I'm half a week late to this. Moby Dick is truly a timeless masterpiece.

You know how in movies, sometimes they'll stick in random sex scenes? Moby Dick has something like that, except it isn't sex scenes. It's a loving 5 chapter exposition on the anatomy, archaeology, and measurement of whale skeletons.

Every book has a single paragraph that sells the book to you. If you read it and don't feel like the passage has spoken to your deepest emotions, the book just wasn't meant for you. This was the one that got me:

Since I have undertaken to manhandle this Leviathan, it behooves me to approve myself omnisciently exhaustive in the enterprise; not overlooking the minutest seminal germs of his blood, and spinning him out to the uttermost coil of his bowels. Having already described him in most of his present habitatory and anatomical peculiarities, it now remains to magnify him in an archaeological, fossiliferous, and antediluvian point of view. Applied to any other creature than the Leviathan- to an ant or a flea- such portly terms might justly be deemed unwarrantably grandiloquent. But when Leviathan is the text, the case is altered. Fain am I to stagger to this enterprise under the weightiest words of the dictionary. And here be it said, that whenever it has been convenient to consult one in the course of these dissertations, I have invariably used a huge quarto edition of Johnson, expressly purchased for that purpose; because that famous lexicographer’s uncommon personal bulk more fitted him to compile a lexicon to be used by a whale author like me.

Every time I read it, I have to wipe the tears from my eyes. Moby Dick is a must-read. It's a cultural icon that provides answers to everyday questions. I truly mean it. Just the other day, someone asked me what 180 Dutch whalers would bring as supplies on their ship. In case you don't feel the urge to become enlightened by reading this masterpiece, I'll give you the answer:

400,000 lbs. of beef.
60,000 lbs. Friesland pork.
150,000 lbs. of stock fish.
550,000 lbs. of biscuit.
72,000 lbs. of soft bread.
2,800 firkins of butter.
20,000 lbs. of Texel Leyden cheese.
144,000 lbs. cheese (probably an inferior article).
550 ankers of Geneva.
10,800 barrels of beer.

This is the stuff that schools are neglecting to teach our children. Absolutely astounding.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, NickyJ said:

I'm sad I'm half a week late to this. Moby Dick is truly a timeless masterpiece.

You know how in movies, sometimes they'll stick in random sex scenes? Moby Dick has something like that, except it isn't sex scenes. It's a loving 5 chapter exposition on the anatomy, archaeology, and measurement of whale skeletons.

Every book has a single paragraph that sells the book to you. If you read it and don't feel like the passage has spoken to your deepest emotions, the book just wasn't meant for you. This was the one that got me:

Every time I read it, I have to wipe the tears from my eyes. Moby Dick is a must-read. It's a cultural icon that provides answers to everyday questions. I truly mean it. Just the other day, someone asked me what 180 Dutch whalers would bring as supplies on their ship. In case you don't feel the urge to become enlightened by reading this masterpiece, I'll give you the answer:

400,000 lbs. of beef.
60,000 lbs. Friesland pork.
150,000 lbs. of stock fish.
550,000 lbs. of biscuit.
72,000 lbs. of soft bread.
2,800 firkins of butter.
20,000 lbs. of Texel Leyden cheese.
144,000 lbs. cheese (probably an inferior article).
550 ankers of Geneva.
10,800 barrels of beer.

This is the stuff that schools are neglecting to teach our children. Absolutely astounding.

This is spot-on.

While I don't do it as often as I used to, every once in a while I'll read, or re-visit, classics.

Have you read Antoine Galland's adaptation  of "Tales From the Arabian Nights"?    

Years ago,  I snagged it at a book exchange and had zero expectations, but it really, really pulled me in.

In between binge-reading Stuart Woods "Stone Arrington" books, (which have slipped in quality), I'm revisiting Terry Pratchett's "The Light Fantastic"

The Stone Arrington series of books are fun, relatively mindless, quick reads. They were more fun, at first but the last couple haven't been as good.  

I believe that the  problem is that I sandwich them between much better writers/stories, and they suffer as a consequence.   I think I'm on #50, or so, and there are 63 books in the series, so I'm going to gut it out. 

Edited by Skinsfan1311