Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What book are you reading?

The Evil Genius

@PleaseBlitz Children of Time was amazing. Probably my favorite hard science fiction novel of all time. Just an amazing multi-generational examination of sociology and biology.

59 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

I don’t write books, I write checks.

I call BS. No one writes checks anymore, do they?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Burgold said:

@PleaseBlitz Children of Time was amazing. Probably my favorite hard science fiction novel of all time. Just an amazing multi-generational examination of sociology and biology.

I call BS. No one writes checks anymore, do they?

You’re gonna want a paper trail to the IRS for those cap gains, homey.

• Like 1

On 4/13/2021 at 8:48 AM, Bang said:

Slogging through "An Army At Dawn",, which is a history of the early American involvement in WW2, and the North African campaign..  it's very interesting, but the author just LOVEs himself some words, and squeezes as many of them into a sentence as he can.

It is interesting though, it's not something i knew much about, and it illustrates how inept and clueless we were heading in.

~Bang

I need to put this one on my list. I like good non-fiction. If you haven't read these I highly recommend: 

The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors: The Extraordinary World War II Story of the U.S. Navy's Finest Hour

Neptune's Inferno: The U.S. Navy at Guadalcanal

Both by James D. Hornfischer

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, EmirOfShmo said:

I need to put this one on my list. I like good non-fiction. If you haven't read these I highly recommend: 

The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors: The Extraordinary World War II Story of the U.S. Navy's Finest Hour

On the list. 

Oh, I am also reading "Descent Into Avernus".. I run a Dungeons and dragons game via zoom for my son and some friends. I hadn't played in 25 years and apparently his mom told my son who now plays how much fun of a DM I was, so last year i got surprise D&D books for my birthday. Lots has changed. But this thing is a hell of a module..

~Bang

• Like 2

20 hours ago, EmirOfShmo said:

Thanks. I'm always on the lookout for books for my dad who is a retired CW04.

• Like 1

I've been on a big Michael Connelly jag lately,  and have been burning through the Bosch series of books.  I'm too lazy to look at the title of the one I'm reading now, but that doesn't matter, they're all great stories.  His Lincoln Lawyer series is also very good.

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

So, Futurama.  

Less comedy but if you imagine Bender working security and his job being to keep Fry from getting murdered you wouldn’t be far off.  

“No hugs!  That’s in the contract.  If you need emotional support I can go get someone for you.”  

14 hours ago, Destino said:

The Murderbot Diaries.  Im on audiobook #5.  A sentient partially human security bot, hacks itself free from corporate control and discovers it loves tv shows and has social anxiety.

I found that series to be quite a lot of fun.  I wasn't sure I would like it, but it surprised me.  So I kept getting the next one out of the library until I ended up waiting for the last one.  I was like"what? there are a lot of other people lstening to these too?"  Still, I got the last one, and it was just like the rest, a fun listen.  It would make a good movie/tv series.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I listened to all 200 hours of the stormlight archive audiobooks.  I thought about just diving into Rhythm of War without rereading the first three, but decided to just do them all to fill in gaps in my memory and have the details fresh in my head.  

I am currently reading Dread Nation by Justina Ireland.  It takes place in a post civil war time period where zombies walk the land.  The main character is a free Black woman trained to be companion for families.  She is trained to kill zombies and do all of the household things a servant/nanny might do.  However, when she leaves her school and goes to her new hire, the family is missing...

It is a pretty compelling storyline, and I find it startling how much she has to take precautions due to being both a woman and a Black woman in an area and time when slavery was so recent.  It is well written.

Edited by gbear

• 1 month later...

1 hour ago, The Evil Genius said:

Holy **** this book is off the rails weird. Only 1/2 done so I'm intrigued to see how it ends.

Good weird or bad weird? I was planning on starting that book next.  Im in the mood for weird, so naturally I went hunting for a horror novel.  

5 hours ago, Destino said:

Good weird or bad weird? I was planning on starting that book next.  Im in the mood for weird, so naturally I went hunting for a horror novel.  

Good weird. Scare the **** out of me weird (but I'm likely a lightweight for horror). I'm also a slow reader on books so you'll probably finish it before me..😄

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 2