Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What book are you reading?

The Evil Genius

• 3 weeks later...

If you have an Audible subscription, it is relentless pushing Impact Winter. I’m not even sure you could call it an audiobook, its more of a audio-only production of a movie with just character dialogue and sound effects, no narrative. I’m about 45 minutes in, not sure if the format works yet. 

image.jpeg.f122f725975ae3b58033bd738d2147d4.jpeg

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Just finished this one. A very unique fictional book set in early 1800s Oxford.

Spoiler

A dark academia standalone that dives into the power of language and evils of imperialism, student revolutions, and colonial resistance. Babel swirls with magic, lore, and Kuang’s signature attention to detail.

51016lbT2fL._AC_SY780_.jpg

The author was previously known by me for the Poppy Wars series which I had been putting off reading. Would recommended Babel though. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...

Impact Winter wasn’t doing it for me so I turned to an audiobook version of The Great Courses lecture on Great Britain during the Tudors and Stewarts. The professor does a great job of explaining how decisions by the royals and their court impacted the common folks, and conversely how things that happened to the common folks that the royals had no control over impacted the royals. 

6 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Impact Winter wasn’t doing it for me so I turned to an audiobook version of The Great Courses lecture on Great Britain during the Tudors and Stewarts. The professor does a great job of explaining how decisions by the royals and their court impacted the common folks, and conversely how things that happened to the common folks that the royals had no control over impacted the royals. 

The guy who does rise and fall of Rome for them was really good.  I clocked a lot of miles listening to that. Have to check this one.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Ok, so the guy literally took the main plot point from the last of us, along with the name of the main character. Good book, but man, talk about toeing the line of not necessarily plagiarism, but artistic integrity. 

Im all for more TLOU content. Was it good?

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Im all for more TLOU content. Was it good?

It's good. Still reading. There's a bit of a supernatural twist to the story that I find intriguing.  Admittedly, it's also a very sobering read, since a TON of the dialogue mirrors some of what we're actually dealing with in the real world.

It's certainly one of those books that could be adapted for TV viewing, and would be incredibly brutal. Some of the ways the infected lose their minds in this is just gruesome.

On 10/8/2022 at 11:56 AM, PleaseBlitz said:

If you have an Audible subscription, it is relentless pushing Impact Winter. I’m not even sure you could call it an audiobook, its more of a audio-only production of a movie with just character dialogue and sound effects, no narrative. I’m about 45 minutes in, not sure if the format works yet. 

image.jpeg.f122f725975ae3b58033bd738d2147d4.jpeg

Haven't been able to nail down Audible all that well. I'm so used to mentally reading stuff, so it's different having it read back to you, while doing stuff like driving or exercising. The focus just isn't there. I'll give it a shot tho

7 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Haven't been able to nail down Audible all that well. I'm so used to mentally reading stuff, so it's different having it read back to you, while doing stuff like driving or exercising. The focus just isn't there. I'll give it a shot tho

To be clear, I do NOT recommend Impact Winter. 

• Haha 1

Middlemarch by George Eliot

I knew nothing about it going in other than it routinely shows up on "greatest-classics-must read" lists.  The story is just one long 19th century soap opera and it is long!  I'm up to chapter 53 with 15 hrs audio left to go...  The writing is absolutely superb and (in the Audible version I have) Juliet Stevenson does absolutely phenomenal work reading and bringing the characters to life.

On 10/8/2022 at 11:56 AM, PleaseBlitz said:

it’s like an old timey radio show.  It wasn’t the greatest of stories, and unless you’re like me and you’ll give any monster/horror a spin if you’ve got the time I don’t recommend it.  What I did enjoy was the feeling of sitting here in 2022 partaking in the same format of entertainment my grandfather and his family sat around the radio to listen to.  

Since my last update on this thread I’ve read

Dancehall of the Dead and Listening Woman by Tony Hillerman.  It’s a native American cop series written by a white guy in the 70s.  Despite how awful that sounds by todays odd standards, it’s got a certain charm to it.  Also the books have been turned into a tv series on AMC with an almost entirely indigenous cast (which is how I came to hear about it).  

The Last Werewolf by Glen Duncan.  This one is way too much graphic sexual content for me.  Didn’t realize what I was getting myself into.  Other than the constant discussion of penetrative sex with various women and one werewolf (yup), the book wasn’t bad and I enjoyed the writing.  Won’t be reading the rest of the series.  

Dawnshard by Brandon Sanderson.  The only book in the series I hadn’t read, and it’s just a novella.  

• Like 1