Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What book are you reading?

The Evil Genius

Horrorstör by Grady Hendrix.  Plot summary is real easy for this one: Haunted IKEA.  It’s horror comedy, which means it starts off making a lot of jokes and ends with lots screaming.  Satirizes IKEA and retail work in general.  It’s a short (~250 pages) and easy read.  Not great but it’s fun.  

The Peripheral and Southern Book Clubs Guide to Slaying Vampires are up next.  

On 10/28/2022 at 9:56 PM, The Evil Genius said:

Granted I'm only a few chapters in but when books start with a lot of made up tech jargon with no backstory of its meaning I feel like I'm reading in a foreign language and only getting about 60% of what is being said.

Maybe it's just me though. 

you weren’t lying. This is loaded down with vaguely described tech nonsense and terrible dialogue. Not sure if this one will get better but the start is rough. 

1 hour ago, Destino said:

you weren’t lying. This is loaded down with vaguely described tech nonsense and terrible dialogue. Not sure if this one will get better but the start is rough. 

Yeah I probably should give it another try. Finished The Spare Man on the flight back Friday nighr and started Book of Night. Maybe I'll go back to the Peripheral after that. 

On 12/18/2022 at 12:37 AM, Destino said:

I've been reading quite a few Sci-Fi classics recently based on Gary Wolfe's series of talks  'How great science fiction works', and the good ones manage to introduce their made up names for things in a context where you can work out what it is without explaining it explicitly. The bad ones don't and so it's as much fun as being asked to remember a list of words in Portuguese but don't know why.

Edited by Corcaigh
  • Like 1

I've been extremely bogged down in my reading and am still slogging my way through Dune (it's a good book, but my reading time has deteriorated), but I just wanted to drop in to say that as a fan of the original All Creatures Great and Small television series about a 1940s British veterinarian, I've always been curious about the books it was based on. Google Play Books has put three of the author's books into a bundle and are temporarily on sale for $5 instead of $50. Snapped it up in a heartbeat.

Since reading Five Decembers, I’ve been reading the other books that publisher, Hard Case Crime, has put out. I read Max Allan Collins’ The Big Bundle which was a historical fiction book surrounding the 1953 Greenlease kidnapping. Collins inserts his fictional character into a very real kidnapping that happened and works to solve the crime. Along the way he bumps into Jimmy Hoffa, Robert Kennedy and others. It was well done, he got into the details of the case, specific places that it occurred in STL and other items. 

Then I read his book Killing Quarry and enjoyed it more than The Big Bundle. And I’ve started Quarry’s Deal which is even better. His character, Quarry, is a hitman who’s found a niche in identifying other hitman’s targets, warning them that they’re being targeted and getting paid to kill the hitman before he can strike. 

These are entertaining, easy and fun reads. None as good as Five Decembers but still really good. 

Had one of my more productive reading years in 2022.  Just wrapped up Gaining Ground which was recommended upthread.  My list for 2022:

2022 books
Last Best Hope - George Packer
Train Dreams — Denis Johnson
Conversations with Friends—Sally Rooney
The Leftovers- Tom Perrotta 
Five Decembers - James Kestrel
Mrs. Fletcher- Tom Perrotta
The Night Gardener - George Pelacanos
Tracy Flick Can’t Win - To Perrotta 
The Island - Adrian McGintey
Comedy, comedy, comedy, drama - Bob odenkirk 
The Judge’s List - John Grisham
Our Towns - James and Deborah Fallows
The Hard Sell - Evan Hughes 
Gaining Ground - Forrest Pritchard

I've been hit or miss the last few months with reading..but here is what I finished this year. I've bolded my favorites this year. 

Half the World - Joe Abercrombie 

Five Decembers - James Kestrel

The Cartographers - Peng Shepherd

The Last Policemen - Ben Winters

Countdown City - Ben Winters

Sea of Tranquility -  Emily St. John Mandel

The Match - Harlan Coben

City on Fire - Don Winslow

The Island - Adrian McKinty

The Last Apothecary - Sarah Penner

Recursion - Blake Crouch 

Upgrade - Blake Crouch

Fairy Tale - Stephen King

Babel - R.F. Kuang

The Butcher and the Wren - Alaina Urquhart

The Last Werewolf - Glen Duncan

The Spare Man - Mary Robinette Kowal

I'd recommend if you want to read Sea of Tranquillity, to first read The Glass Hotel as the author's characters reoccuur in many of her books. 

Edited by The Evil Genius

Ended the year with a surprise.  Southern Book Clubs Guide to Slaying Vampires was far better than expected.  It’s more about sexism and racism than it is about vampires.  Probably more infuriating than scary too.  Loved this book.  

2022’s reading list:

Ancillary Justice by Anne Leckie

Ancillary Sword by Anne Leckie

Blood Mirror by Brent Weeks

The Burning White by Brent Weeks

Ancillary Mercy by Anne Leckie

The Devil You Know by Mike Carey

I, Robot by Isaac Asimov

Vicious Circle by Mike Carey

Dead Men’s Boots by Mike Carey

Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut

Thicker Than Water by Mike Carey

The Naming of The Beasts by Mike Carey

Dark Matter by Blake Crouch

Chasm City by Alastair Reynolds

Cat’s Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut

Five Decembers by James Kestrel

Later by Stephen King

Billy Summers by Stephen King

Robert E. Lee and Me by Ty Seidule 

The Story of Philosophy by Will Durant

Fugitive Telemetry by Martha Wells

Frankenstein by Mary Shelly

The Island of Dr. Moreau by HG Wells

Moby Dick by Herman Melville

Who Goes There? by John W. Campbell Jr.

The Blessing Way by Tony Hillerman

Dance Hall of The Dead by Tony Hillerman

The Last Werewolf by Glen Duncan

Dawnshard by Brandon Sanderson

Listening Woman by Tony Hillerman

People of Darkness by Tony Hillerman

The Dark Wind by Tony Hillerman

The Night People by Ronald Malfi 

Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson

A Memory Called Empire by Arkady Martine 

Ringworld by Larry Niven

Boneshaker by Cherie Priest

The Sun Down Motel by Simone St James

My Heart is a Chainsaw by Stephen Graham Jones

Bone White by Ronald Malfi 

Horrorstör by Grady Hendrix

The Island by Adrian McKinty

Southern Book Clubs Guide to Slaying Vampires by Grady Hendrix 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Wow, @Destino. That is quite a prolific list. Well done.

Most I’ve read in a year, I think, though there were more shorter books in there than usual.  I thought it was an lot until I talked to my kids teachers.  They average 100 a year.  Im not sure how the hell that’s possible.  They must read much faster than I do.  

5 minutes ago, Destino said:

Most I’ve read in a year, I think, though there were more shorter books in there than usual.  I thought it was an lot until I talked to my kids teachers.  They average 100 a year.  Im not sure how the hell that’s possible.  They must read much faster than I do.  

The Tony Hillerman books jump out at me.  He's a legend in NM, stuff named after him and all.  Great books and a small insight into Navajo culture.  They really liked him.  Figured you would might find interest in his obit from the Navajo Times.

https://www.navajotimes.com/entertainment/2008/1108/110608hillerman.php

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Island was a fun horror thriller.  I tend to prefer my thrillers closer to the mystery side of things but I enjoyed The Island.

this year I’ve read Nueromancer by William Gibson.  The book is entirely too dreary for my liking.  Some people really like that oppressive lack of joy and optimism of any kind but these stories feel like corpses to me.  Intact but inert without the spark of life giving it purpose or connection. There were some interesting ideas and some unintentional humor, like including pay phones in a book about cyber crimes with sentient AIs.  Overall though I found myself unable to care if the main characters succeeded or failed. They hardly seemed to care.

currently reading The Three Body Problem by Liu Cixin.  Haven’t finished it yet but I’m really enjoying it so far.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/11/2021 at 1:47 PM, PleaseBlitz said:

You have accurately restated the most-common criticism of Gladwell's like 8 books.  Good work. :ols:

Malcolm Gladwell is a very good story teller and an easy read. But most of it is just stories, just like the rest of ‘social science’.

I’m currently enjoying Forever War by Joe Haldeman. Military SciFi.

Edited by Corcaigh

23 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Cool.  I just picked up Power of the Dog.  Plan to go through the trilogy this spring.

I "discovered" Don Winslow,  earlier this year,  at the suggestion of a similar thread on another board. I read The Force, and couldn't put it down.  After that, I devoured Power of the Dog, and started The Cartel, yesterday.  It's tough to put them down...

• Like 1