Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What book are you reading?

The Evil Genius

On 4/1/2023 at 10:08 AM, Corcaigh said:

Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut. Loving it.

WW II, aliens, time travel, anti-war, mental illness, dark humor.

I love that book.  I’m not a huge Vonnegut fan, as I didn’t really enjoy his other books, but Slaughter House Five is a classic.  

On 4/2/2023 at 11:07 PM, Skinsfan1311 said:

"The Only Good Indians"

Stephen Graham Jones?  Really enjoyed the writing.  He paints a haunting picture and then makes you watch it get so much worse.

Edited by Destino
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Destino said:

I love that book.  I’m not a huge Vonnegut fan, as I didn’t really enjoy his other books, but Slaughter House Five is a classic.  

Stephen Graham Jones?  Really enjoyed the writing.  He paints a haunting picture and that makes you watch it get so much worse.

Yes and yes he does.

I'm not going to lie...it was tough sledding at first, but after muscling through a chapter, or two, I was finally drawn in. 

37 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Fyi for anyone else who read Don Winslow's City on Fire. The sequel, City of Dreams, comes out next Tuesday (the 18th).

Thanks!

Our local library has 5 copies and I put a hold on it.  I'm #19   The book I just started, Termination Shock, is 700 pages and, for ****s and grins, I also checked out The League of Extraordinary Gentleman, to get my steampunk fix.   I'm hoping that City of Dreams will be available by the time I finish those.

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished American Nations by Colin Woodard.  It was an extremely interesting, if somewhat dry, read.  The basic premise is that North America is not really divided by states, it is actually divided politically and culturally into 11 distinct nations with their own unique sets of values reflecting the initial groups that established them.  It also argues that most of US history is basically a battle for control by a coalition of nations led by "Yankeedom" and including New Netherlands (i.e., NYC) and the Left Coast (who value pluralism, equality and education) against a coalition of the Deep South, Great Appalachia and Tidewater (who value order and hierarchy), with the other nations being the swing areas.  

The 11 Nations of the United States and Their Cultures

Edited by PleaseBlitz

Just finished Hollow Places by T Kingfisher (good) and Final Girl Support Group by Grady Hendrix (not very good).  I’m listening to lectures on Voltaire I found among the audio books at Libby and then reading and The Twisted Ones by T Kingfisher.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dfitzo53 said:

Pretty sure that's just the plot of The Hunger Games. 

As I said, the book was very interesting but pretty dry.  If the author had thrown in a little bit of forced teenager-on-teenager murder here and there, it would have been way better. 

I've started The Island by Adrian McKinty, largely based on reviews in this thread.  The first part that I've read so far is pretty boring, I hate plot lines that revolve around teenagers being ****ty people, but I'll tough it out for a few more chapters. 

Edited by PleaseBlitz

I really enjoyed Leigh Bardugo's book, The Ninth House, and i am now reading the second book in the series. They are a great modern fantasy story complete with secret societies and magic. 

Edited by gbear

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Currently working through American Midnight. It centers around the lead up to America’s involvement in WW1. 100ish years ago, and you can see a lot of parallels to today. 

My 2023 reading list so far (goal is 25 books)

2023 Books
Shoedog- George Pelacanos 
The Chain - Adrian McKinty
City on Fire - Don Winslow
The Consequences- Manuel Munoz
The Power of the Dog - Don Winslow
The Missing Cryptoqueen - Jamie Bartlett
Demon Copperhead - Barbara Kingsolver
The Least of Us - Sam Quinones 
The Cartel - Don Winslow 
Slaughterhouse 5 - Kurt Vonnegut 
Nomadland - Jessica Bruder
The Looming Tower - Lawrence Wright
Trust-Hernan Diaz

Reading The Big Short by Michael Lewis.  I had seen the movie but never read the book.  It's weird because Lewis' talent is describing big complex things like trading credit default swaps and mortgage backed securities in subprime mortgages in a way that is digestible to an average person (who knows ZERO about CDS and MBS).  I happen to know a ton about this aspect of the financial markets due to my job, so it's even better for me.  I also worked in the mortgage industry during the time the events in the book take place (and lost my job (and my house)) when everything crashed, so I have a visceral reaction to a lot of the story.  

I just finished John Grisham's "Playing for Pizza", which is a very entertaining read.  It's about a QB who washed out of the NFL and had to move to Italy to play in the Italian league.  I really enjoyed this, on a personal level (because I lived in Italy and am a football fan). Grisham really nailed the Italian way of life. It's a light, funny and very enjoyable read.

Right now, I'm revisting Terry Pratchett's "Interesting Times"    I do that sort of thing on the Kindle, between new reads   No matter how many times I revisit Pratchett, I always pick up something new and they never fail to make me laugh out loud.

I've been on a Sue Grafton and Thomas Perry jag lately, and have a couple of Tim Dorsey books on hold. 

Just now, Skinsfan1311 said:

I just finished John Grisham's "Playing for Pizza", which is a very entertaining read.  It's about a QB who washed out of the NFL and had to move to Italy to play in the Italian league.  I really enjoyed this, on a personal level (because I lived in Italy and am a football fan). Grisham really nailed the Italian way of life. It's a light, funny and very enjoyable read.

Right now, I'm revisting Terry Pratchett's "Interesting Times"    I do that sort of thing on the Kindle, between new reads   No matter how many times I revisit Pratchett, I always pick up something new and they never fail to make me laugh out loud.

I've been on a Sue Grafton and Thomas Perry jag lately, and have a couple of Tim Dorsey books on hold. 

So it's Mr. Baseball set in Italy, but about American Football? 

• Like 1