Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What book are you reading?

The Evil Genius

On 11/4/2023 at 9:44 PM, Destino said:

I think I’ll try to find another Noir after this, I just wish it was easier to find good ones in that genre. I’ll tackle a big Russian door stop after that. Not sure which yet, but I’m leaning towards The Brothers Karamazov. That should just about take me through the end of the  year.

I didn’t follow this plan at all, my reading list is essentially a lottery drawing at this point. No telling what will tumble out.

i read Dracula by Bram Stoker, because I feel like I had to. It wasn’t bad but by modern standards it’s about as exhilarating as a decaf coffee. Still, as a horror fan this was a necessary book. 

I then read A House With Good Bones by T Kingfisher. This is the third horror novel I’ve read from the fabulous Ursula Vernon (T Kingfisher is a pen name). I very much enjoyed every one of them. Ordinary people, low stakes (meaning the world doesn’t hang in the balance), interesting and bizarre bad things to overcome. This sort of book is my chicken soup.

Then went back to the classics and read Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury. I’m trying to fill in some classic gaps in horror and this one kept coming up. I wish I’d read this one as a child, but I enjoyed it plenty as an adult. Good book that I’m handing over to my kid. 

Currently reading The Devil Takes You Home by Gabino Iglesias.  

9 hours ago, Destino said:

I didn’t follow this plan at all, my reading list is essentially a lottery drawing at this point. No telling what will tumble out.

i read Dracula by Bram Stoker, because I feel like I had to. It wasn’t bad but by modern standards it’s about as exhilarating as a decaf coffee. Still, as a horror fan this was a necessary book. 

I then read A House With Good Bones by T Kingfisher. This is the third horror novel I’ve read from the fabulous Ursula Vernon (T Kingfisher is a pen name). I very much enjoyed every one of them. Ordinary people, low stakes (meaning the world doesn’t hang in the balance), interesting and bizarre bad things to overcome. This sort of book is my chicken soup.

Then went back to the classics and read Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury. I’m trying to fill in some classic gaps in horror and this one kept coming up. I wish I’d read this one as a child, but I enjoyed it plenty as an adult. Good book that I’m handing over to my kid. 

Currently reading The Devil Takes You Home by Gabino Iglesias.  

My reading list is pretty much always a lotter drawing.   

I tend to go on genre or author jags with no rhyme or reason and sometimes revisit books that I really love.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/21/2023 at 9:50 AM, FrFan said:

Thanks, I'm almost halfway into "The Twelve", Last Stand is quite a character. The only negative of the books is that they are too many characters to my liking. To avoid any confusion I wrote down their name on a piece of paper.

I thoroughly enjoyed "The Passage" and just checked out "The Twelve"         

• Thumb up 1

8 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I thoroughly enjoyed "The Passage" and just checked out "The Twelve"         

Those are both fantastic.  The third entry, City of Mirrors, is an absolute slog.  I only finished it out of a sense of duty because I had enjoyed the first 2.

On a very related note, I've spent the past 4 months reading ASOIAF and going all the way down the rabbit whole with the lore.  I read Fire & Blood, GoT, Clash of Kings and Storm of Swords.  I have two more of the published novels and the novellas, but I decided to stop.  The more I read about GRRM and what he's doing with finishing the series, I've just become convinced that he isn't going to.  I don't care to invest any more time into a story that won't reach a conclusion.  

Going to try to tackle Blood Meridian next.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Those are both fantastic.  The third entry, City of Mirrors, is an absolute slog.  I only finished it out of a sense of duty because I had enjoyed the first 2.

On a very related note, I've spent the past 4 months reading ASOIAF and going all the way down the rabbit whole with the lore.  I read Fire & Blood, GoT, Clash of Kings and Storm of Swords.  I have two more of the published novels and the novellas, but I decided to stop.  The more I read about GRRM and what he's doing with finishing the series, I've just become convinced that he isn't going to.  I don't care to invest any more time into a story that won't reach a conclusion.  

Going to try to tackle Blood Meridian next.  

Good to know.   

Happily, a lot of stories in trilogies stand on their own, so I can skip that one if I'm not feeling it.   Your take on GRRM is spot-on.  I don't think that he'll ever finish the series and, if he does, I'm sure it will disappoint.

I too, have a soft spot for that genre and it started in 6th grade when our English teacher, read some of The Hobbit to the class.   She noticed that I enjoyed it so much that she called my Mom and asked if it was okay to lend me the book.   I don't know who was happier...me or my Mom 😄.   I still have dog-eared worn copies of that, and LOTR.  Every few years, I revisit them.  Thank God for Mrs. Larsen!  

• Like 2

Devil Takes You Home by Gabino Iglesias was awesome. Im not sure I’ve read a book like it. It’s kind of Mexican horror noi. If you like noir and don’t mind a brief supernatural element I recommend it. That finished up 2023. Ended the year with 41 books read. 

just finished Lone Women by Victor LaValle. Hated it. Not a great start for 2024.

currently reading The Book that Wouldn’t Burn by Mark Lawrence.

Kicked off 2024 with The Abstinence Teacher by Tom Perrotta

I had a good start to 2023, but faded in the fall. (Demon Copperfield is the one I enjoyed the most)

My list:

2023 Books
Shoedog- George Pelacanos 
The Chain - Adrian McKinty
City on Fire - Don Winslow
The Consequences- Manuel Munoz
The Power of the Dog - Don Winslow
The Missing Cryptoqueen - Jamie Bartlett
Demon Copperhead - Barbara Kingsolver
The Least of Us - Sam Quinones 
The Cartel - Don Winslow 
Slaughterhouse 5 - Kurt Vonnegut 
Nomadland - Jessica Bruder
The Looming Tower - Lawrence Wright
Trust-Hernan Diaz
American Midnight - Adam Hochschild
United States of Jihad / Peter Bergen
The Border - Don Winslow
Poverty by America - Mathew Desmond
Small Mercies - Dennis Lehane

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I haven't really considered reading Tolkien.  Maybe I should.  

They're very well written.   I suggest starting with "The Hobbit"   If you like it, then move on to the Lord of The Rings trilogy.  If you don't like, no harm done because The Hobbit is only ~ 300 pages, or so...

18 hours ago, Ball Security said:

Kicked off 2024 with The Abstinence Teacher by Tom Perrotta

I had a good start to 2023, but faded in the fall. (Demon Copperfield is the one I enjoyed the most)

My list:

2023 Books
Shoedog- George Pelacanos 
The Chain - Adrian McKinty
City on Fire - Don Winslow
The Consequences- Manuel Munoz
The Power of the Dog - Don Winslow
The Missing Cryptoqueen - Jamie Bartlett
Demon Copperhead - Barbara Kingsolver
The Least of Us - Sam Quinones 
The Cartel - Don Winslow 
Slaughterhouse 5 - Kurt Vonnegut 
Nomadland - Jessica Bruder
The Looming Tower - Lawrence Wright
Trust-Hernan Diaz
American Midnight - Adam Hochschild
United States of Jihad / Peter Bergen
The Border - Don Winslow
Poverty by America - Mathew Desmond
Small Mercies - Dennis Lehane

Those Winslow books are fire!   I think someone here recommended them and I couldn't read them fast enough...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Muller-Xavier-Erectus-couverture-768x120

And suddenly humanity began to regress

There is chaos in Richards Bay, South Africa. A man has metamorphosed. He sports prominent jaws, is covered with hair and no longer speaks.

Soon, in New York, Paris, Geneva, Homo erectus appear in packs, disoriented, unpredictable, and trigger panic among the population.

What is this virus?
What lies behind this terrifying epidemic?

Anna Meunier, a French scientist, engages in a race against the clock to understand and curb this regression of humanity.

Everywhere a dizzying question arises:
Should these erectus be regarded as men?
Should they be considered as ancestors to be protected?
Or as wild beasts to eradicate?

It's a trilogy.

Read Dante’s Inferno. a lot of people seem to have read this in school somehow, but I never did. The experience feels like falling down a long series of rabbit holes as the text alternates between verse and helpfully supplied explanations. The wood of suicides had it the worst imo. I’ll read the next two parts of the divine comedy later this year.

Currently reading A Blight of Blackwings by Kevin Hearne. It’s a bit preachy for my taste but I wanted a fantasy trilogy that was complete and this is the one I chose.

Currently listening to a "The Great Courses" on Hannibal Barca and how he nearly destroyed Rome. He's a fascinating historical figure, but the problem is that all of the contemporaneous accounts of his exploits that survive were written by Romans who (1) probably exaggerate how brilliant he was (so they look even better for defeating him) and (2) make him out to be insane and evil (so they look justified in going to war with him and Carthage).  Still, historians appear to have done a remarkable job marrying the written works with the other available evidence to come to a pretty plausible and detailed account of his life, and the professor presenting it does a really great job presenting the important stuff, with the appropriate context, in a clear way (notwithstanding her very pronounced Canadian accent). 

https://www.thegreatcourses.com/courses/hannibal-the-military-genius-who-almost-conquered-rome

• Like 2

I am currently reading Sickening which about all the shady practices of the pharmaceutical industry in the U.S.  While I was aware of some of the practices through my investments, my job and following the companies working on meds I may need to treat my MS, I was not aware of some of the bigger examples the author mentions. I didn't realize on just how many levels the game is rigged.  It is a fascinating read, and it reinforces my feelings of not wanting to invest in our pharmaceutical industry ever again.  I decided a decade ago I didn't want to make money on other peoples' illnesses.  Reading this book, I see how the pharmaceutical companies have actually contributed to our society's poor health outcomes.

Before that, I read Gideon the Ninth by Tamsyn Muir which was a sci-fi book with a really cool twist.  All the main characters were Necromancers or their guardians from various planets.  I am waiting on book 2 from this series to come into the library.  .  

• Like 1

Just finished Rovers by Richard Lang. The author describes this book as “Of Mice and Men with Vampires.” It’s an accurate description. First Vampire book I’ve ever read that I thought was great. I highly recommend it. I can’t remember where I heard about, but damned lucky I did. It doesn’t even have 1200 ratings on Goodreads… and that’s a real shame. 

Couldn’t have come at a better time too, because it followed the three book series that isn’t worth mentioning, Utter garbage.

Next up Holly by Stephen King

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Noir with horror elements is a strange little style that’s become fascination in the last three months or so. Didn’t even know these existed. Just finished Falling Angel by William Hjortsberg. Apparently it was made into a movie in the 80s? Starring DeNiro, Mickey Rourke, and Lisa Bonet. Hell of a cast. All before my time though, but maybe some of you have heard of it. I learned of this book in a Twitter thread.  Very good. Very out of date too, politically speaking. Gets real dark towards the end, which I welcome. 

Holly by Stephen King was good too. Not as good as Falling Angel, but you won’t regret reading it. Holly is a great character and the villains are sufficiently horrible. Also, Stephen King makes fun of Covid deniers. Heh. 

2 hours ago, Destino said:

Noir with horror elements is a strange little style that’s become fascination in the last three months or so. Didn’t even know these existed. Just finished Falling Angel by William Hjortsberg. Apparently it was made into a movie in the 80s? Starring DeNiro, Mickey Rourke, and Lisa Bonet. Hell of a cast. All before my time though, but maybe some of you have heard of it. I learned of this book in a Twitter thread.  Very good. Very out of date too, politically speaking. Gets real dark towards the end, which I welcome. 

Holly by Stephen King was good too. Not as good as Falling Angel, but you won’t regret reading it. Holly is a great character and the villains are sufficiently horrible. Also, Stephen King makes fun of Covid deniers. Heh. 

The movie with Rourke, DeNiro, and Bonet is called Angel Heart. I just watched it a few months ago. One of the darkest, screwed up movies out there. I haven't read the book so I don't know how faithful the film is.

47 minutes ago, Metalhead said:

The movie with Rourke, DeNiro, and Bonet is called Angel Heart. I just watched it a few months ago. One of the darkest, screwed up movies out there. I haven't read the book so I don't know how faithful the film is.

I’ve never seen the movie, but that sounds about right. lol

• Haha 1