Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Schedule

hail2skins

On 5/14/2021 at 7:32 PM, CurseReversed said:

I wish somebody would do a study about the disparity in these stats over the course of the last 10 or 15 years.  It seems we are always getting screwed with scheduling of opponents in disadvantageous situations.  If there was a consistency in the  disparity over the long term, it could probably be pretty easy to prove, although I am not the one with the skills to do it.  

Taken from various posts in The Conspiracy Thread

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(2015)

According to SB nation we are tied for first with the giants for hardest schedule in the division, followed by the eagles, then the cowboys with the easiest.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/4/21/8459471/2015-nfl-schedule-strength-steelers-falcons

on top of that, we play more teams coming off extra days of rest than anyone in the league except Seahawks (Seattle has 5, we play 4 teams coming off extra rest, while Giants only have to play against one)

http://www.footballperspective.com/washington-seattle-carolina-tampa-bay-extra-rest-and-the-2015-nfl-schedule/

On top of THAT, 2 of the teams that get to play us after getting extra rest are within our division (Giants in week 3, eagles in week 16)

So yeah, even though the Giants technically have the same strength of schedule as us, our schedule is much harder than theirs based on the amount of fresh opponents we have to face, both inside and outside our division.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I looked at the Bye Bias also (although I only looked at bye week ..... NOT Thursday games)

I used years 2005 thru 2015 for number of byes

I used years 2005 thru 2014 for win/loss advantage

http://espn.go.com/nfl/schedulegrid

Also

Before this study I would have guessed that the F Giants would have an advantage....results below

But first........

I concur with the previously sited study that it IS an advantage to have a bye before playing an opponent......Out of 10 years;

7 years had teams that played after a bye win more games than lose

2 years it broke even

Only 1 year (2014) were there more wins for the "victim" of the bye

So I agree it is an advantage

Now WHO has gotten this advantage?

Teams getting the LEAST amount of games vs a bye (over 11 years) are;

Panthers

Bengals

Cardinals

Vikings

Teams getting the MOST games vs a bye are;

Falcons

Texans

Bills

and of course you guessed it....my beloved Skins

It doesn't end there

As teams are segregated into divisions....I looked at our NFC East....and guess what I found?

The Giants are the ONLY team that had a positive balance! (less than 11 games vs Teams with a bye in 11 years)....they had 9

Both Dallas and Philly had 13 games......and of course we had the most at 15

F Mara

Some additional facts;

2011 is the only year no team had more then 2 games vs a bye team...But in 2009 5 teams had 3 or more (Atlanta, Baltimore, Denver, Jacksonville and Tennessee)

3 Teams have had a year that they played 4 bye teams (Philly 2012 - Atlanta 2009 and San Diego 2005) not counting Seahawks this year.

5 Teams had more than 1 season that they played 3 Bye teams (Atlanta, Baltimore, Buffalo, Tennessee and of course....Your Washington Redskins. (Seattle will join this club this year)

Carolina has gotten 7 years out of 11 that they had ZERO games vs a bye team.

and

The Giants have only had 1 year in my study that they had over one game vs a bye opponent (they had 2 in 2008)

5 games played against rested teams..WOW....I'm not sure you could even accidently pit a team against 5 opponets with rest in one season...LOL

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also worth noting is that we have 3 primetime games this season (2015) 

Since Gibbs left we are 3-17 in Prime Time games.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2014/10/06/the-redskins-record-in-primetime-games-is-as-bad-as-you-thought/

Guess who we play in prime time this season?  That's right ALL 3 are against NFC East opponents.  

In addition to that,  2 out of the 3 (Eagles and Giants) are away games, and BOTH of them come on short weeks (Giants in week 3. Eagles in week 16)

The only home prime time game will be against the Cowboys in Week 13.  And even this advantage is minimized by the fact that it will be when they have Hardy, who no one else in the division has to play at all.

Smells fishy to me.  From a scheduling standpoint I have a hard time seeing how we're not starting out at a disadvantage compared to ALL 3 of our divisional rivals.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2015/04/21/redskins-2015-schedule-instant-analysis/

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(2016)

Schedules for the 2016 season released today...

Rich Tandler ‏@Rich_TandlerCSN 16s16 seconds ago
The Cowboys play an early Sunday home game prior to hosting the #Redskins on Thanksgiving. Washington plays Sunday night.

Late night Sunday finish plus Wednesday travel day vs. Sunday afternoon finish and home field advantage.

Odds tipped in Dallas' favor?

In addition, we also get one less day of rest prior to playing Dallas in week 2 after hosting the Steelers on MNF.  And we play the Giants in week 17 after they get extra rest.

So 3 of our divisional games are played against opponents with extra rest.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Redskins' Gruden not happy with schedule-makers for extra-short week

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/28546/redskins-coach-jay-gruden-schedule-makers-did-us-no-favors

"We've already done a lot of work on them," Gruden said. "That's a good thing. But we're talking about possibly playing a 9-1 team that we'll get about 10 hours to work on."

http://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/1159552?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regarding the strength of schedule theory:

Past 5 years, the combined records of the teams in our division:

Cowboys:  37-27

Eagles: 34-30

Giants: 30-34

Redskins: 24-39-1

Hardest schedule within division for past 5 years:

2017: Redskins, Giants, Cowboys, Eagles

2016: Redskins, Eagles, Cowboys, Giants

2015: Giants, Redskins, Eagles, Cowboys

2014: Redskins, Cowboys, Eagles, Giants

2013: Redskins, Eagles, Giants, Cowboys

For the last 5 years, we have been the weakest team in the division.  Despite this, in 5 years we have NEVER been given the easiest strength of schedule within our division.  We have also NEVER been given the second easiest strength of schedule within the division.  In fact, 4 out of the past 5 years we have been given the HARDEST schedule in the division, with the one year exception being the second hardest in 2015 (1 place lower than the Giants).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

Schedules are made and set years in advance(at least 14/17 are). When you're a bad team your strength of schedule compared to your divisional foes will be naturally harder because you're playing the better teams and the better teams are playing you(a presumably worse team).

• Thanks 2

Its not just about the teams, it's about the situations.  Its a very clever way to hide bias in a league of supposed parity. It seems to be more then a coincidence that small differences in scheduling has negatively affected the WFT so consistently over such a long period of time, but that is just how it looks to me.  If I was WFT, I would have someone do a real deep dive in the numbers and try to prove through probability that there was likely a deliberate intent on the part of schedulers.  Then sue. 

1 hour ago, Reaper Skins said:

Taken from various posts in The Conspiracy Thread

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(2015)

According to SB nation we are tied for first with the giants for hardest schedule in the division, followed by the eagles, then the cowboys with the easiest.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/4/21/8459471/2015-nfl-schedule-strength-steelers-falcons

on top of that, we play more teams coming off extra days of rest than anyone in the league except Seahawks (Seattle has 5, we play 4 teams coming off extra rest, while Giants only have to play against one)

http://www.footballperspective.com/washington-seattle-carolina-tampa-bay-extra-rest-and-the-2015-nfl-schedule/

On top of THAT, 2 of the teams that get to play us after getting extra rest are within our division (Giants in week 3, eagles in week 16)

So yeah, even though the Giants technically have the same strength of schedule as us, our schedule is much harder than theirs based on the amount of fresh opponents we have to face, both inside and outside our division.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I looked at the Bye Bias also (although I only looked at bye week ..... NOT Thursday games)

I used years 2005 thru 2015 for number of byes

I used years 2005 thru 2014 for win/loss advantage

http://espn.go.com/nfl/schedulegrid

Also

Before this study I would have guessed that the F Giants would have an advantage....results below

But first........

I concur with the previously sited study that it IS an advantage to have a bye before playing an opponent......Out of 10 years;

7 years had teams that played after a bye win more games than lose

2 years it broke even

Only 1 year (2014) were there more wins for the "victim" of the bye

So I agree it is an advantage

Now WHO has gotten this advantage?

Teams getting the LEAST amount of games vs a bye (over 11 years) are;

Panthers

Bengals

Cardinals

Vikings

Teams getting the MOST games vs a bye are;

Falcons

Texans

Bills

and of course you guessed it....my beloved Skins

It doesn't end there

As teams are segregated into divisions....I looked at our NFC East....and guess what I found?

The Giants are the ONLY team that had a positive balance! (less than 11 games vs Teams with a bye in 11 years)....they had 9

Both Dallas and Philly had 13 games......and of course we had the most at 15

F Mara

Some additional facts;

2011 is the only year no team had more then 2 games vs a bye team...But in 2009 5 teams had 3 or more (Atlanta, Baltimore, Denver, Jacksonville and Tennessee)

3 Teams have had a year that they played 4 bye teams (Philly 2012 - Atlanta 2009 and San Diego 2005) not counting Seahawks this year.

5 Teams had more than 1 season that they played 3 Bye teams (Atlanta, Baltimore, Buffalo, Tennessee and of course....Your Washington Redskins. (Seattle will join this club this year)

Carolina has gotten 7 years out of 11 that they had ZERO games vs a bye team.

and

The Giants have only had 1 year in my study that they had over one game vs a bye opponent (they had 2 in 2008)

5 games played against rested teams..WOW....I'm not sure you could even accidently pit a team against 5 opponets with rest in one season...LOL

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also worth noting is that we have 3 primetime games this season (2015) 

Since Gibbs left we are 3-17 in Prime Time games.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2014/10/06/the-redskins-record-in-primetime-games-is-as-bad-as-you-thought/

Guess who we play in prime time this season?  That's right ALL 3 are against NFC East opponents.  

In addition to that,  2 out of the 3 (Eagles and Giants) are away games, and BOTH of them come on short weeks (Giants in week 3. Eagles in week 16)

The only home prime time game will be against the Cowboys in Week 13.  And even this advantage is minimized by the fact that it will be when they have Hardy, who no one else in the division has to play at all.

Smells fishy to me.  From a scheduling standpoint I have a hard time seeing how we're not starting out at a disadvantage compared to ALL 3 of our divisional rivals.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2015/04/21/redskins-2015-schedule-instant-analysis/

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(2016)

Schedules for the 2016 season released today...

Rich Tandler ‏@Rich_TandlerCSN 16s16 seconds ago
The Cowboys play an early Sunday home game prior to hosting the #Redskins on Thanksgiving. Washington plays Sunday night.

Late night Sunday finish plus Wednesday travel day vs. Sunday afternoon finish and home field advantage.

Odds tipped in Dallas' favor?

In addition, we also get one less day of rest prior to playing Dallas in week 2 after hosting the Steelers on MNF.  And we play the Giants in week 17 after they get extra rest.

So 3 of our divisional games are played against opponents with extra rest.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Redskins' Gruden not happy with schedule-makers for extra-short week

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/28546/redskins-coach-jay-gruden-schedule-makers-did-us-no-favors

"We've already done a lot of work on them," Gruden said. "That's a good thing. But we're talking about possibly playing a 9-1 team that we'll get about 10 hours to work on."

http://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/1159552?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regarding the strength of schedule theory:

Past 5 years, the combined records of the teams in our division:

Cowboys:  37-27

Eagles: 34-30

Giants: 30-34

Redskins: 24-39-1

Hardest schedule within division for past 5 years:

2017: Redskins, Giants, Cowboys, Eagles

2016: Redskins, Eagles, Cowboys, Giants

2015: Giants, Redskins, Eagles, Cowboys

2014: Redskins, Cowboys, Eagles, Giants

2013: Redskins, Eagles, Giants, Cowboys

For the last 5 years, we have been the weakest team in the division.  Despite this, in 5 years we have NEVER been given the easiest strength of schedule within our division.  We have also NEVER been given the second easiest strength of schedule within the division.  In fact, 4 out of the past 5 years we have been given the HARDEST schedule in the division, with the one year exception being the second hardest in 2015 (1 place lower than the Giants).

That sounds about right.   Still happening too. 

Edited by CurseReversed

57 minutes ago, CurseReversed said:

Its not just about the teams, it's about the situations.  Its a very clever way to hide bias in a league of supposed parity. It seems to be more then a coincidence that small differences in scheduling has negatively affected the WFT so consistently over such a long period of time, but that is just how it looks to me.  If I was WFT, I would have someone do a real deep dive in the numbers and try to prove through probability that there was likely a deliberate intent on the part of schedulers.  Then sue. 

That sounds about right.   Still happening too. 

I doubt there is any real conspiracy. Its just one of those things. And ultimately I don't think it makes THAT much of a difference in terms of win/loss record over the long term. The good teams will find ways to win. Bad teams will still lose.

We had a tough stretch last year having to play the Cowboys on Thanksgiving(short work week), then Pittsburgh on the road on a weekday and then right after that short work week to play in San Francisco. And we won all three.

The cream will rise to the top.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, joeken24 said:

I'm actually hyped about watching this simulation. Its time for some damn football. But until then..... 

I just ran the same simulation 1000 times on my Intellivision (circa 1980) and came up with the same results.  At least I think the yellowish team was Washington. 

Its amazing the amount of detail in Madden!

Capture.PNG

• Haha 5

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

Hey, have we done a roll call for the Vegas game? I think a meet-up is in order.

I'll be in Vegas, I have plane tickets and a hotel for the 4th through the 9th but not sure if I'm going to the game.

If ticket prices don't come down I'm gonna find a nice sports bar to watch the game at.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

Hey, have we done a roll call for the Vegas game? I think a meet-up is in order.

I am all in!  Flying in on Thursday, leaving on Tuesday.  Ultimate father-son road trip - the last time we took one together was to the 2008 HOF weekend.  He was 13 then, so this time could be epic....Being joined by a couple of college buddies with their sons - all WFT fans....

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Raiders game is much better pricing now. Also for those coming to Vegas the Pac 12 football championship is the same weekend on Friday night. Seats for that are as cheap as 33 bucks on Ticketmaster. Will be cheap way to see the stadium if you don’t want to pull trigger on our game or want to see 2 games in same weekend. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Just now, SoCalSkins said:

Raiders game is much better pricing now. Also for those coming to Vegas the Pac 12 football championship is the same weekend on Friday night. Seats for that are as cheap as 33 bucks on Ticketmaster. Will be cheap way to see the stadium if you don’t want to pull trigger on our game or want to see 2 games in same weekend. 

See you guys soon.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Schedule looks pretty brutal the rest of the way.

Yep. I’m feeling better about the saints next weekend, if only for the fact that the giants beat them, why can’t we, right? 

if we can get to 3-2, that would be huge, cause we’re losing the next two after, so 3-4 heading into Denver. 4-4 at the bye would be about as good as we could hope for right about now, right?

So, we are 2-2.  We could easily be 0-4. We were a penalty away from losing the Giants game and if the Falcons had about 30 more seconds; they probably would've gotten a TD to win the game.

I don't trust the defense at all.  I  also expect Taylor to have more games like Buffalo, against the better teams.

10/10: Saints

10/17: Chiefs

10/24: @Packers

10/31: @Broncos

11/7: Bye

11/14: Bucs

11/21- @Panthers

M-11/29: Seahawks

12/5: @Raiders

12/12: Boys

S- 12/18: @Eagles

12/26- @Boys

1/2- Eagles

1/9- @ Giants

The best case scenario:

10/10: Saints - Another tossup game similar to Giants, Falcons.  Best case, we win. 3-2

10/17: Chiefs - No scenario has us winning this. Worse loss of season. 3-3

10/24: @Packers - Another loss similar to Bills. 3-4

10/31: @Broncos - Tossup.  Best case scenario has us winning. 4-4

11/14: Bucs -  Tom should have a field day. 4-5

11/21- @Panthers - Best case has us beating Carolina. 5-5

M-11/29: Seahawks - Russell Wilson should have a good day. 5-6

12/5: @Raiders - Carr will look like a hall of famer. 5-7

12/12: Boys - Best case, we win upset Dallas.  6-7 

S- 12/18: @Eagles - We beat them. 7-7

12/26- @Boys - We lose the rematch. 7-8

1/2- Eagles - We sweep the Eagles. 8-8

1/9- @ Giants -  Daniel Jones gets his revenge. 8-9

The worst case scenario:

10/10: Saints - Another tossup game similar to Giants, Falcons.  Worst Case, we lose. 2-3

10/17: Chiefs - No scenario has us winning this. Worse loss of season. 2-4

10/24: @Packers - Another loss similar to Bills. 2-5

10/31: @Broncos - Tossup.  Worst case, has us losing on the road. 2-6

11/14: Bucs -  Tom should have a field day. 2-7

11/21- @Panthers - Worse case has Carolina beating us. 2-8

M-11/29: Seahawks - Russell Wilson should have a good day. 2-9

12/5: @Raiders - Carr will look like a hall of famer. 2-10

12/12: Boys - Worse case, we lose to Dallas. 2-11 

S- 12/18: @Eagles - Worst case, they beat us. 2-12

12/26- @Boys - We lose the rematch. 2-13

1/2- Eagles - Our last win. 3-13

1/9- @ Giants -  Daniel Jones gets his revenge. 3-14

I see us finishing anywhere from 3-14 to best case 8-9.

On 10/4/2021 at 10:18 AM, 86 Snyder said:

We probably dont have a chance of being favored in a game again until Jan 2 at home against Philly.  

Yesterday was fun, but the reality is the defense is so bad anything more than 5 wins will be exceedingly difficult given the schedule.  

I’m nervous for our game against you guys.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Thumb down 1