Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New Stadium News?

RichmondRedskin88

2 hours ago, profusion said:

An entertainment destination project at the Dulles quarry site would seemingly be a winner. I can imagine politicians falling all over themselves for a big moneymaker like that.

Thing is, it probably doesn't need a Commanders stadium to work, just the way National Landing doesn't.

If anything, a Snyder stadium would be a drag on the entire thing, since there is so little demonstrated demand for the team. The only reason to plop down a big useless concrete bowl into a project like that is to generate foot traffic. 

If I'm a banker, I'm not seeing the numbers add up.

TBH, the coolest part of the Loudoun site is that it appears to have restaurants right on the water.  Like a little taste of the Bellagio in Sterling lol.

https://www.audacy.com/thefandc/sports/washington-commanders/commanders-unable-to-produce-evidence-of-their-popularity

Commanders were unable to produce evidence of their popularity in stadium talks

The Washington Commanders are losing support, from fans and politicians, as they look to chart out the destination of their next stadium.

That's according to one Virginia state senator, Chap Petersen (D-Fairfax), who has withdrawn his support for a bill that would help finance a new stadium in the commonwealth.

One of Petersen's primary concerns is that the team is trending downward in popularity in the region, something that makes him worry about the long-term viability as a whole when considering whether taxpayers should be making a long-term investment by funding a stadium.

In an interview with 106.7 The Fan's Brian Mitchell and JP Finlay, Petersen divulged that the Commanders were unable to produce objective metrics proving their popularity in the area, furthering his skepticism about the team's apparent dwindling fan engagement.

Essentially, if Petersen — a former Washington Redskins season-ticket holder — was seeing fans wearing Commanders gear in public regularly, he could live with the lack of metrics proving the team's popularity footprint. But he's seeing neither the numbers proving their popularity nor that real-world engagement, a double red flag, in his view.

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, httrcirca87 said:

was seeing fans wearing Commanders gear in public regularly, he could live with the lack of metrics proving the team's popularity footprint. But he's seeing neither the numbers proving their popularity nor that real-world engagement, a double red flag, in his view.

Politicians are not just declining, they have been trying their best to do emotional damage.

Emotional Damage! | /r/memes | Know Your Meme

He aint wrong tho

Edited by FootballZombie

12 hours ago, httrcirca87 said:

Essentially, if Petersen — a former Washington Redskins season-ticket holder — was seeing fans wearing Commanders gear in public regularly, he could live with the lack of metrics proving the team's popularity footprint. But he's seeing neither the numbers proving their popularity nor that real-world engagement, a double red flag, in his view.

Nobody act surprised when the next Dan tactic is to strategically place team employees walking around wearing team gear around local political centers. 

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

Nobody act surprised when the next Dan tactic is to strategically place team employees walking around wearing team gear around local political centers. 

“No, I know I look like Doc Walker… I get mistaken for him all the time.”

• Haha 4

48 minutes ago, Fred Jones said:

If you have ever met Chap Peterson he is a little bit of a tool, but I don't disagree with him.  

In addition, my stance has always been, no tax payer money to build a stadium.  These owners have money - use it.

Good to hear actually. He sounds like a bit of a tool with his recent statements too.

This feels familiar to me. Area politicians publicly grandstanding for their own short term goals. Pretty much how the stadium ended up in Raljon. Ultimately it's the fans that get screwed the most, over and over again.  

Playing a bit of hardball to make the best deal for the state or District makes some sense. Going overboard and driving the deal away completely doesn't. Making nonsense public statements just looks foolish. 

To claim that any franchise in the NFL is not viable is ridiculous. 

To say that he doesn't think there's support because he doesn't see enough Commanders gear out there right now is also clownish. Right after a rebrand of a franchise that has been supported as the Redskins for generations, during the off season, during a time when people are finding it more and more difficult to just buy groceries and gas. Of course you don't see it out there right now.

Peterson sounds more like a fan who is still mad and hasn't accepted that the name was changed, rather than someone who is thinking of the long term benefits for the state. Nothing wrong with that as a fan, but making major long term decisions for the state based on it is very wrong.

The team will have a new stadium, etc. in the near future, and the state/District and area it's in will benefit long term.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I lived in San Diego in the 90s and everyone hated the Chargers owner for some reason during the many years that he tried to get a new stadium built there with taxpayer money. Then I moved back there in 2010 and they were still arguing over it and once again voted against it and it wasn't even close.

Now he's renting from the Rams owner in LA.

I wonder how long until Dan is threatening moving to Dallas to be that second team their mayor is begging for and leasing from JJ. 

12 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

I lived in San Diego in the 90s and everyone hated the Chargers owner for some reason during the many years that he tried to get a new stadium built there with taxpayer money. Then I moved back there in 2010 and they were still arguing over it and once again voted against it and it wasn't even close.

I wonder how long until Dan is threatening moving to Dallas to be that second team their mayor is begging for and leasing from JJ. 

Yeah, but the fellow NFL owners actually like the Spanos family and gave him LA.  Doubt anyone likes Snyder.  

42 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

California teams as a whole have been pretty mobile over the years.

1 minute ago, SkinsNatsFan said:

California teams as a whole have been pretty mobile over the years.

Maybe it's because they have a lot of unused stadiums around the state. Dan doesn't have that in DC.

Also, California teams seem to have an inability to fill seats and whenever a visiting team shows up they often have more fans than the home team. Especially whenever they suck like this team has. (Well, they've never consistently sucked that bad)

2 hours ago, SkinsNatsFan said:

Playing a bit of hardball to make the best deal for the state or District makes some sense. Going overboard and driving the deal away completely doesn't. Making nonsense public statements just looks foolish. 

There shouldn't be any kind of deal. If a billionaire's club wants a playpen for the Washington branch of their business, let them build it themselves.

I'd feel that way if the [I'll always call them Redskins] had won the Super Bowl last season.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

No, taxpayers dollars should go into building a stadium.

Paying for the infrastructure around the stadium, fine. The actual stadium should be paid by the owner.

Considering the billions the owners draw in and the billions they will get once gambling is everywhere; the nfl can loan Dan the money. They’ve done that for other owners.

I still think the stadium ends up in Landover or some city like St Louis lures Dan.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 3

On 5/26/2022 at 9:32 AM, FLSkinz83 said:

I'm amazed at how Jack Del Rio says nothing in his press conferences, but can't wait to make comments on twitter.

The guy clearly reads ES (and my posts specifically) seeing how he tweeted "deez" at someone. That's my move,  Jack. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

No, taxpayers dollars should go into building a stadium.

Paying for the infrastructure around the stadium, fine. The actual stadium should be paid by the owner.

Considering the billions the owners draw in and the billions they will get once gambling is everywhere; the nfl can loan Dan the money. They’ve done that for other owners.

I still think the stadium ends up in Landover or some city like St Louis lures Dan.

This sounds well and good on the surface, but I'm not so sure that tax revenue is typically the primary source of funds for a municipal stadium construction project.  Seems to me funding sources such as bond sales and a special scratch off lottery are more likely for such a project than tax dollars.  It seems worthwhile to me to at least commission a study to look into various funding sources and potential revenue streams from a municipal stadium such as the Commanders' lease, concerts, and other sporting events, including parking and concession income from all these potential events.  I would think such a study would make more sense than to simply reject the idea willy-nilly based on a reluctance to spend tax dollars.  Now, perhaps the various jurisdictions have all completed such studies, I don't know.

2 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

There is absolutely no way the franchise leaves the area.  This is a top 10 market in everything.  The NFL will not give up this market no matter what.  It's too wealthy.  

The NFL will not approve a move out of the area.  They would force Dan out before they did that.  

The rest of your post is pretty wrong also.  DC paid for Nats park.  It's worked out extraordinarily well. Baseball requires the state to pay for the entire stadium.  That was a contingency of the team moving here to begin with.  

If the state buys the stadium, they own it. They lease it back to the team for money.  They also have an asset.  The least payments and increase in tax revenue should, in theory, offset the cost of the stadium.

However, this is MUCH more true for multi-use arenas (basketball/NHL), and baseball, just due to the number of already-booked days on the calendar.  Football stadiums are different due to the limited number of days.  So, for football, if you are using the stadium as a catalyst for economic growth, you have to be much more creative, because they 10 days of NFL games a year just won't do anything.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ghost of said:

The guy clearly reads ES (and my posts specifically) seeing how he tweeted "deez" at someone. That's my move,  Jack. 

I believe there's something in the rules for the players and others within  the organisation that want to roam around here... So it's not out of the realm of possibilities...

• Like 1

If Dan can't get a stadium deal anywhere around here, then I wouldn't be shocked if the league let him move. They'd do that before forcing him out, I think.

We'd become the new Los Angeles: the big vacant market used as leverage for the other teams' taxpayer extortion effort. The NFL was willing to let LA go without a team for 20 years. It could absolutely happen here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, profusion said:

If Dan can't get a stadium deal anywhere around here, then I wouldn't be shocked if the league let him move. They'd do that before forcing him out, I think.

We'd become the new Los Angeles: the big vacant market used as leverage for the other teams' taxpayer extortion effort. The NFL was willing to let LA go without a team for 20 years. It could absolutely happen here.

May be easier to let him move. I think they would bring us back as fast as possible. Would prove Snyder was the problem.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, profusion said:

Of course.  They let 2 teams leave LA. So, it can happen here.  The will say the DC area fans can root for the Ravens.  

If the NFL let not one but 2 teams leave LA; they sure can let Dan leave DC.

You now when the NFL expanded to Houston in 02; they rejected LA. LA couldn't get their act together. Instead of finding a way to make LA expansion work; they just picked Houston.

So, the DC market can indeed be vacated by the NFL and honestly, I doubt most will care. Gambling will soon drive the NFL and it won't matter as much, if the NFL doesn't  have all the big markets.

2 hours ago, Redskins 2021 said:

May be easier to let him move. I think they would bring us back as fast as possible. Would prove Snyder was the problem.

It took LA 20 years. Baltimore 11.

The NFL isn't expanding anytime soon. If they do, it's likely the expand internationally.  Washington loses the Commies; it could be a long time.  The only way DC would get a team quicker; is if a team relocates.

Carolina would be a candidate.  If Justin Herbert can't lure the fans, I could see the Chargers admit L A wasn't working and move. Tennessee wants a new stadium, maybe they leave Nashville. Jacksonville could move.