Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New Stadium News?

RichmondRedskin88

7 hours ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

just curious, but if it’s translucent, how is it going to hold sound in? If we ever get a good football team again and actually get a crowd, dont we want the competitive advantage?

Of course, this could be Dan giving up on our team getting good and knowing that opposing teams are going to take over and he wants the sound out of the stadium so our offense can work.

Wait, who am I kidding? Dan doesn’t think that far in depth, unless it’s rip off customers so he can obtain more money. 

Doesn’t matter what the stadium looks like, you’re still going to get stale peanuts and pretzels. 

1.  That's not what translucent means.

2.  The design isn't really feasible, so the point is moot anyway.

• Like 1

Last season, I went to the Linc - I know, I know, it was for a loved one who's getting into football and they were playing Dallas so we had a shared enemy. We took the Broad Street Line from City Hall to the end of the line and, apart from being around Eagles fans all night, it was a good night. We even got home without paying fare, thanks to SEPTA. It was in stark contrast to the day I went to FedEx Field earlier that season, where I paid good money to walk a mile to and from the Metro and endure what might as well have been a neutral site's atmosphere.  

I say all this to say: I can deal with pricey tickets and less-than-stellar atmosphere as long as I get to and from the stadium via reliable and accessible transit. It saves money and, honestly, it helps build up the hype - the energy of fans on a train is infectious. Unless this stadium's site is near Woodbridge's VRE station and they run special trains out there the way the MBTA does for Pats games in Foxboro, it doesn't look like that's gonna happen and this franchise will almost certainly have a more dreadful gameday experience than they already do.

As long as Dan owns the team; nothing will bring back the lost fanbase.

Dan is incapable of hiring the right people; to field a consistent winner that would bring in new fans.

However long Ron is here; he will

not field a consistent winner. That stretch where Ron had his most success in Carolina; will not be repeated here.

Edited by 88Comrade2000
  • Like 2

Wow!

That damn near shuts, bolts and seals the door on ANY chance little Danny gets Virginia to pay for his playpen.

Can't imagine congress making RFK available to him either.

He needs the revenue generated by a new stadium filled with fans to pay his debt load because aint nobody but out of towners and inmates on work release coming to FedEx anymore.

Maybe Danny boy will have to sell, not because the owners voted him out, but because he'll go bankrupt otherwise.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

My assumption is it'll be the current Raljon location or by National Harbour. 

That seems likely but if Dan doesn’t want to spend the money or doesn’t have the money; eventually some other franchise derived city will lure Dan away.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

That seems likely but if Dan doesn’t want to spend the money or doesn’t have the money; eventually some other franchise derived city will lure Dan away.

This would be my dream scenario. Go off to England or something and let us get a real franchise in 5-6 years. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, fullnelson9999 said:

1.  That's not what translucent means.

2.  The design isn't really feasible, so the point is moot anyway.

i understand what translucent means…I’m not going to go into it anymore than that, thanks

Edited by Fan since a Fetus

1 hour ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Maybe Danny boy will have to sell, not because the owners voted him out, but because he'll go bankrupt otherwise.

Maybe it's giving him more credit than he deserves, but he has got to see if he doesn't get this new stadium, he is toast.  And selling before the world knows he is toast would lead to many more millions in the sale price.  Just like he couldn't stick with his mantra of how he would never change the name, maybe he will have to come to grips that him never selling isn't an option either.  I know it's very wishful thinking on my part, and has been discussed often lately, but this is the first time for me personally I think he may sell in the near future.

Just look at that quote.  It's like all the unbelievable lines in back to the future in 1955.  Ronald Reagan is president?  Joe Louis vice president?  Washington not a viable NFL franchise?  You couldn't have imagined a local politician saying that 20-30 years ago.  Hopefully more NFL owners echo Peterson's quote and he is forced to see the writing on the wall.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Thumb up 1

Delayed reaction that hit me in the shower:

What if this Senator Chad Peterson from Va. who helped create the “Redskins Caucus” was a friend of and worked closely with a former Redskins VP whose dad was once a coach of the team on trying to get a stadium funded.

Perhaps said Senator didn’t appreciate the way Bruce Allen’s dismissal was handled and he’s been nursing a bit of a grudge ever since.

Maybe part of the reason for the nearly unprecedented venom the Senator displayed towards Snyder in his statement is pure payback on behalf of a close colleague.

Regardless of the motivation, I absolutely love the open display of disdain for Snyder.

You know Danny is going to be up all night trying to figure out his next chess move.

However, we’re nearing the beginning of the end game. His position sucks, he’s down in material (cash), and his most recent sacrificial gambit (the money he wasted on optioning now worthless land) was a public catastrophe as he was completely outmaneuvered and humiliated by a far superior player in Senator Peterson.

A competent player would calculate enough moves ahead to know that the only honorable thing to do at this stage is to topple his king over and avoid the sheer carnage to come by selling his team voluntarily but we all know he’s far from a competent player.

Carnage he wants then carnage he shall get.

In the end he will be gone all the same.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye

I've been waiting for a politician -- either in office or wanting to be in office -- would take this kind of stand. It's a damn good one. Making it clear that you will not help build the Commanders (god, what an awful name, it still hurts) a stadium as long as Snyder is the owner is a no-brainer. It will just increase the pressure on him to sell. If DC, Maryland, and VA basically say no stadium as long as Snyder is the owner, the NFL will have to do something.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Hooper said:

I've been waiting for a politician -- either in office or wanting to be in office -- would take this kind of stand. It's a damn good one. Making it clear that you will not help build the Commanders (god, what an awful name, it still hurts) a stadium as long as Snyder is the owner is a no-brainer. It will just increase the pressure on him to sell. If DC, Maryland, and VA basically say no stadium as long as Snyder is the owner, the NFL will have to do something.

Look how long it took the Raiders to get a stadium. Going to be a long wait.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2022/05/25/commanders-stadium-virginia-bill-doubts/

“I feel very confident that we still have a majority in both chambers to pass the legislation,” said Del. Luke E. Torian (D-Prince William), who said the project would bring “an economic infusion into the commonwealth of Virginia for many years to come.”

“This is not about what we can do for the Commanders — this is about Virginians finally getting a team,” said Del. Lamont Bagby (D-Henrico). “Virginia fans deserve to reap all the benefits of a team and hope that this will be the first of more to come.”

The Commanders are contractually obligated to play at FedEx Field in Landover, Md., until 2027, after which they could stay or seek another home. The team has been shopping for a new home for years in Virginia, Maryland and D.C.

Snyder wants to build not just a new stadium but a vast commercial and residential complex that supporters call a “mini-city,” including a convention center, concert venue, hotels, restaurants and housing. A pair of bills introduced in Virginia’s General Assembly this year would create a stadium authority to oversee construction and financing of the project, allowing the team to collect a share of state tax revenue generated by the stadium and the more expansive commercial development to finance construction of the stadium.

The effort initially appeared to have broad support, with Gov. Glenn Youngkin (R) giving it a shout-out in his first speech to the General Assembly. The Republican-controlled House of Delegates and the Democratic-led Senate passed separate bills in February by wide, bipartisan margins.

But there were concerns about the amount of tax revenue the state would forfeit, initially estimated at $1 billion. In March, negotiators trying to iron out differences in the bills said they would cap the cost at $350 million. They failed to reach a compromise before the legislature wrapped up its regular session that month, so the legislation rolled into a special session called primarily to complete work on the state budget.

Little information on the stadium bills emerged from negotiations since then, but on Wednesday, Newman said they plan to lower the cap again, to under $300 million. He also said he expects the compromise bill to let the team have a share of revenue generated only from the stadium, not from the broader commercial development. Without that provision, Newman predicted the bills will die in conference committee, meaning they will not come before the House and Senate for a vote next week.

Newman said negotiators have made “good progress” toward ensuring the stadium bill would make solid financial sense for the commonwealth. But as negotiators have focused on the financials, Newman noted, questions about Snyder have been raised.

The Commanders and Snyder have been embroiled in scandal for much of the past two years with the allegations of sexual misconduct and financial impropriety, which have prompted investigations by the NFL and Congress, as well as possibly the Federal Trade Commission. Last month, attorneys general Karl A. Racine of D.C. and Jason S. Miyares of Virginia launched their own probes of the team and Snyder.

Petersen and Newman voiced concerns about the bill following reports this week that the Commanders had acquired the right to purchase 200 acres in Prince William County for the project. Leaked a little more than a week before the General Assembly has its last chance to vote on the stadium bill June 1, the disclosure could have been intended to pull the measure over the finish line.

But it had the opposite effect for Petersen, who in his statement objected to the Woodbridge site, near the Potomac Mills shopping center and 23 miles from the U.S. Capitol building, as “too far removed from an urban setting, unlike Nats Park at the Navy Yard, which will make it solely dependent on vehicle traffic for access.”

Petersen said his more serious concern was the team’s diminished stature on the field and in the community — this from a die-hard fan who in 2014 co-founded the legislature’s “Redskins Pride Caucus” to defend the team’s original name.

“That team defined our community for multiple generations,” he wrote. The Washington Commanders are not that team. They have no history, no tradition and no fan base. I do not consider them an appropriate economic partner for the Commonwealth of Virginia, because I don’t think they have the community support to survive.”

• Thanks 1

"The Commanders are contractually obligated to play at FedEx Field in Landover, Md., until 2027, after which they could stay or seek another home."

Why does this still get mentioned. Dan owns the stadium, right? He's been looking for a new one since Gibbs was coaching. Can't he just cancel the contract if at any point there was a better situation? There isn't, but that is mostly because of him. Now that it's getting closer to 2027 he's going to start to sweat it but in reality he can just make a new contract for the POS stadium that he already owns.

1 hour ago, Andre The Giant said:

There it is. That is the site that the stadium should and will go. It's proximity to Dulles (1 stop away on silver line) ... and that is one of the largest developable sites remaining in the region that isn't in the exurbs. Could be a really cool spot. 

• Like 1