Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New Stadium News?

RichmondRedskin88

2 hours ago, Redskins 2021 said:

I been saying this from the beginning I think Bezos is the one pushing the story and got the federal government involved. He will own the team.

My next question is where will Bezos want the stadium? 

He has the pull and cash to get it back in the city at RFK.  My money would be on that site.

• Thumb up 1

I'm loving all the problems surfacing.  I hope Snyder's team is forced to continue to play in that cesspool of a stadium as long as Snyder owns the team.  Nothing would embolden that human piece of feces more than getting a ton of money for his dream stadium (that looks like a piece of crap from the renderings).

You reap what you sow.  Time to reap the whirlwind, Danny boy.  

9 hours ago, Redskins 2021 said:

This stadium is going to be a real problem for Snyder. I think this will be his down fall.

Not really. Look at how long it took the Raiders to get a new stadium. They moved to LA, I think on the promise of a new stadium. Never happened. They moved back to Oakland on the promise of a new stadium.  After Al died, still took Marc forever to get a new stadium; which he finally did in Vegas.  That was a 40 year effort almost.

Probably will take 40 years also; if he owns the team that long.

6 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Not really. Look at how long it took the Raiders to get a new stadium. They moved to LA, I think on the promise of a new stadium. Never happened. They moved back to Oakland on the promise of a new stadium.  After Al died, still took Marc forever to get a new stadium; which he finally did in Vegas.  That was a 40 year effort almost.

Probably will take 40 years also; if he owns the team that long.

Many folks poked fun at the renderings of the stadium with a moat when they were released in 2016, but at least back then you could envision that we could have a new stadium by the early 2020s (the thought, at least to me, was that we'd be able to buy out whatever agreement we had at FedEx).

Fast forward to us now in the early 2020s and we don't appear close to a new stadium. I agree with Standig's tweet posted above that we may well be playing at FedEx beyond 2027. Which is depressing when you think that, after 25 seasons, there has basically been zero success at the place.  Not even a divisional playoff game has been hosted there. That is stunning.

In the meantime, I do think the team isdoing a good thing by slashing club seat prices, and hopefully that drives more sales in that level. They really need to do the same in the upper level.  But its hard to imagine that attendance can get much worse than it was last season.

On 4/22/2022 at 2:48 PM, Redskins 2021 said:

This stadium is going to be a real problem for Snyder. I think this will be his down fall.

I think if he continues to own the team, the stadium will be built on the 200 acres of land he already owns at the Fed Ex Field site.  If for no other reason than nobody else will give him a better financial option.  Maryland wants to build infrastructure around the stadium as well, and develop the area in a way that it should have been done in 1997.  

Until I see some real movement on a site in D.C. or Virginia, I will continue to believe the new stadium will be right next to the old one in Landover.  I'd say the odds right now are overwhelming that they stay right where they are.  

Edited by Commander PK
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Commander PK said:

I think if he continues to own the team, the stadium will be built on the 200 acres of land he already owns at the Fed Ex Field site.  If for no other reason than nobody else will give him a better financial option.  Maryland wants to build infrastructure around the stadium as well, and develop the area in a way that it should have been done in 1997.  

Until I see some real movement on a site in D.C. or Virginia, I will continue to believe the new stadium will be right next to the old one in Landover.  I'd say the odds right now are overwhelming that they stay right where they are.  

Will he even have the money to build it is the question. Nearly all of his wealth is tied into the team.

He's going to have to sell part of the team to investors.  He already owes the NFL for that particular loan alone.  

Whatever the outcome, I believe that IF he gets a new stadium, it'll be just like the name change/reveal and everything else Snyder has put his grubby paws on - a massively underwhelming result.

The good news for Snyder is he has turned away fans from wanting to attend games. So all he really has to do is build a virtual stadium and program in the fans and fan noise. Question is, can Snyder convince NPC's to show up? I'm picturing the game experience will look a bit like...

Football World Reacts To The USFL Crowd On SaturdayQ

• 4 weeks later...

Dan’s gonna build a broke ass stadium in a dumb location. It will look the part but will be made entirely of papier-mâché to save costs. The beer served will be from 1983 and the peanuts will be rancid.  The toilets will just be a large row of porta potties on Sean Taylor Lane. Eventually a light rain will wash it all away and we will have to play games at the local high school fields where we can finally fill the stands with home team fans but Eagles fans will still end up outnumbering us even for games that aren’t against the Eagles.

10 hours ago, duffy said:

I have a feeling that Snyder will eventually build the first floating stadium. A football field on a cruise ship. I just hope Fred Smoot is the captain. 

Disagree.

Dan will build an air stadium.

Like Air guitar, but with a stadium.

• Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

ASHBURN, Va., -- The Washington Commanders paid more than $100 million for land in Virginia, a possible next step in building a new stadium, as well as numerous retail shops, restaurants and apartments.

According to a source with knowledge of the purchase, the Commanders paid a little more than $100 million for approximately 200 acres. The deal was completed late last week, but has not yet been filed with Prince William County, the site of the land. One source called it the team's preferred site for a new stadium, but other options remain open.

There's a chance the franchise will buy another 65 to 70 acres at a site that is approximately 23 miles from Washington, D.C., and would be right off an exit on I-95 in Dumfries, Virginia. It would be approximately 80 miles from Richmond.

The Commanders like this site because of how it can be developed. According to a source, their plans include a 60,000-seat domed stadium -- so it can be used throughout the year -- as well as: the team's practice facility; an amphitheater that seats between 15,000 and 20,000; a small indoor music arena; high-end retail shops; bars and restaurants and residential living. The roof would be translucent and the stadium's facade could change colors -- it would be white during the day and, for example, burgundy at night.

Washington wants to leave FedEx Field, which was built by former owner Jack Kent Cooke and opened in 1997. The team owns the stadium as well as the surrounding property, but their contract to play at this site expires in 2026. They can renew it and stay on longer, if needed.

Before they agree to a site, the team needs to find out how much money the state and Prince William County are willing to commit before finalizing plans to build.

That's why they're keeping options open in Maryland and the District of Columbia as well as other sites in Virginia. Maryland said it would spend $400 million to develop the area around FedEx Field in Landover, Maryland. The team would then build a domed stadium by their current home. Washington is still looking at land in Loudoun County, near their current practice facility.

The team would like to return to the District of Columbia at the RFK Stadium site, their home from 1961-96. But, because it's on federal land, numerous governmental hurdles currently make that a longshot.

Virginia's legislature continues to discuss creating a Stadium Authority that would authorize money to help pay for a new Commanders stadium. Under one proposal, the Commanders would receive $350 million from Virginia.

It's uncertain how much money the Commanders would spend on their own to build a stadium.

The purchase comes amid ongoing investigations into Commanders owner Dan Snyder. Both Congress and the NFL continue to examine allegations of sexual misconduct, which Snyder has strongly denied. They also responded to allegations of financial improprieties with a 105-page letter sent to the Federal Trade Commission, with emails and signed affidavits that they say proves their innocence. The attorney generals' offices in Virginia and the District of Columbia said they will investigate the financial claims.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 1