Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Heinicke Hive: The LEGEND of Taylor Heinicke Thread

LetThePointsSoar
Message added by TK,

image.png.76d3d6bba631c4c9e8442f26a9c9afc4.png

4 minutes ago, ZarG3 said:

Here is a list I came up with (I included brees just to show the size difference). Not all 32 starting QBs but these are comparable to Heinike:

Taylor Heinike 6'1" 210lbs
Tyrod Taylor 6'1" 217lbs
Dak Prescott 6'2" 228lbs
Aaron Rodgers 6'2" 225lbs
Teddy Bridgewater 6'2" 210lbs
Drew Brees 6'0" 209lbs
Ryan Fitzpatrick 6'2" 221lbs
Russell Wilson 5'11" 217lbs
Mac Jones 6'3" 217lbs
Jalen Hurts 6'1" 223lbs
Kirk Cousins 6'3" 205lbs
Kyler Murray 5'10" 207lbs

Not sure why but I think of Dak Prescott as being taller than 6' 2".

4 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I can see a scenario where Taylor plays well and we still lose if the rest of the team plays like it did against SD. The coaches better be ready. They got their heads handed to them. And unlike many times last year I saw just about no adjustments at halftime. 

If the rest of the team doesn't show against the Giants then we have much bigger issues than at QB. 

Edited by Chris 44

17 minutes ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

Lots of people saying TH is too small. Anybody have any stats on the 32 starting qb's size to compare? Is TH "that" small?

TH reminds me of Drew Brees in terms of height and field awareness.....lets hope he can play like Brees.  

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

If the rest of the team doesn't show against the Giants then we have much bigger issues than at QB. 

That was my point exactly. Does it not read that way? Not being an ass but I felt I expressed that exact point. If you are jsut agreeing fair enough. Just wasn't following you. 

3 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

TH reminds me of Drew Brees in terms of height and field awareness.....lets hope he can play like Brees.  

One can only hope lol.

If I remember correctly, when Brees' was coming out analysts said he didn't have the strongest arm either 🤷‍♂️

Edited by ZarG3

5 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

That was my point exactly. Does it not read that way? Not being an ass but I felt I expressed that exact point. If you are jsut agreeing fair enough. Just wasn't following you. 

Yeah just agreeing. Felt strongly about it so I just reemphasized. Guess a thumbs up would have sufficed. Lol.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, ZarG3 said:

One can only hope lol.

If I remember correctly, when Brees' was coming out analysts said he didn't have the strongest arm either 🤷‍♂️

Brees had an NFL arm and was also incredibly accurate. I mean, he's arguably the most accurate QB ever.

The best comp for Heinicke is Doug Flutie.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I watched the conference I didn't take it that way.  Players seem to love Fitz, he was made captain.  He only had 8 drop backs, was pressured on 5 of them.   I doubt the players have much of a thought about him yet as a QB as to the regular season.

To be clear, I don't think this was an intentional shot at Fitzpatrick.  But usually, when they ask a player about the backup quarterback, they will give you a generic "next man up" answer.  To specifically say that he could start for any other team (not to mention the way he reacted in the playoff game last year) makes me think that the team does not believe there is going to be any drop off now that Fitz is out hurt.  

2 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

To be clear, I don't think this was an intentional shot at Fitzpatrick.  But usually, when they ask a player about the backup quarterback, they will give you a generic "next man up" answer.  To specifically say that he could start for any other team (not to mention the way he reacted in the playoff game last year) makes me think that the team does not believe there is going to be any drop off now that Fitz is out hurt.  

Not only won't there be a drop off, the team is going to play better. Go back to what Willie McGinest said in the preseason of a WFT game at halftime. He likes TH and said guys like him are very difficult to defend. Guys like Fitz are a defensive linemen's dream to play against...TH will have them running and sucking wind! I'm guessing TMac and LT are stoked that Taylor is in there. 

TH and Patterson are gonna end up playing big roles on this team. Who'd a thunk it?

• Like 1

See, this stuff is my only issue with the Heinicke Hive. It goes from having interesting discussions about his play to random broadsides that compare him to HOF QBs and talking about how the team will play better with him because how much his teammates adore him and yadda yadda.

That was my main problem with the Cult of Colt too. It rarely actually stayed within reason before someone went off the rails about just how damn amazing he was and would be a top 5 QB once he got a chance.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

51 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Brees had an NFL arm and was also incredibly accurate. I mean, he's arguably the most accurate QB ever.

The best comp for Heinicke is Doug Flutie.

Brees did strengthen his arm coming off surgery. He was noticeably throwing a better deep ball. I believe he has talked about it. 

30 minutes ago, mistertim said:

talking about how the team will play better with him because how much his teammates adore him and yadda yadda.

https://www.audacy.com/thefandc/sports/washington-football-team/taylor-heinicke-washington-teammates-want-him-to-stay

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/football-team/washington-football-team-believes-taylor-heinicke-just-ask-them

His teammates are the ones publicly adoring him.  

Edited by DJHJR86
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Sure, and they publicly adored Fitz as well.

My point was how incredibly hyped up some people seem to be getting themselves over TH with a very limited sample size and are setting possibly unrealistic expectations for the guy.

At the same time, I get that it's pretty much always been that way with the backup or whoever the most recent "late round gem" was, considering how QB starved this team has been for so long.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

Good lord, we're already back to the size stuff and comparison to HoF players. lol

Just wondering why people think he's so brittle. Ya..if he trows his body around like a LB he'll get crushed. The guy is supposed to be smart as heck...he should be able to read/react/protect as well as anyone. If he can't , then I agree..he (or anyone else) won't last long. Cam Newton comes to mind

32 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Brady, Young and Brees. Pretty good company to keep. :ols:

wish he had their arm. It took a highlight reel catch from a great WR to catch his one long pass.

It’s kind of funny, right?  I mean, on one hand, there’s a desire to show that guys his size can last/produce in this league, so it doesn’t make sense to compare him to 3rd string qbs or what have you.  But if you do make those comps, it can come across like you’re ignoring his other major issue (arm strength).

For me, I’ve always thought it kind of silly when people get criticized for comparisons of a certain component of a player’s game.  If comparisons are only valid if everything is exactly the same, then it’s impossible to compare players - no one has the exact same processing speed, arm velocity, pedigree, talent around them, size, scrambling ability, same record, same stats and on and on.

As to Taylor, it’s going to be interesting to see how things go as he should have a stretch of games to show what he’s got.  He’s proven his moxie, his scrambling ability and his knowledge of the system (to an extent anyway).  I’m intrigued to see how things unfold given the unproven (durability and ability to play against teams that game plan for him) and known limitation (arm strength).  Personally, I’m pulling hard for him, but I’m also tempering my expectations.

6 minutes ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

Just wondering why people think he's so brittle. Ya..if he trows his body around like a LB he'll get crushed. The guy is supposed to be smart as heck...he should be able to read/react/protect as well as anyone. If he can't , then I agree..he (or anyone else) won't last long. Cam Newton comes to mind

I think (at least for me) the perception of him being "brittle" has more to do with his injury history than his size. For the amount of playing time Heinicke has had, he's had a somewhat alarming number of injuries.

IIRC he was considered undersized coming out of ODU and I was a little skeptical about the claim of him being 200+ lbs last season as he didn't look it at all. But he apparently has bulked up some and from what I can see he does appear a bit more robust.

As far as throwing his body around, yeah and I agree and I'm guessing that's something the coaches have talked to him about as well. After last season Rivera noted that a guy can play with absolutely nothing to lose in the situation TH was vs TB, but to be a longer term NFL QB you have to be smarter about it.

• Like 1

i'll go ahead and be what i regard as realistic/objective though it will come off as a redskins2000 or greg peck or skins4eva post :D (love you guys)

now c'mon crew---we all know how bipolar and outright delusional many of us get during most seasons, and over all kinds of players and coaches...keep that in mind :) 

i'm not "anti-heinie" (or anti-fitz), and why would anyone be? and yet as i posted a couple weeks ago, neither are going to be the qb that makes a major leap towards getting us into a conference championship imv

heinie has been in the league 7 years with 5 teams and never has anyone talked about him like he's some tyrod taylor or terry bridgewater kind of back-up or anything close...cuz he's not...i'd say he is more a known commodity and not some previously missed 'opportunity' who has some untapped high ceiling that was overlooked by all those previous coaches (of course it's possible and obviously i want to be wrong, but i doubt it)

he can still have all the 'pluses' being said about him, and i agree with most of them minus the exaggerative takes,  but i see zip to indicate there's some actual franchise championship-winning diamond in the rough...and we want championships, not 'also showed up and did some good stuff'

going into a season with fitz and heine was a plan along the lines of "this is the best we think we can do right now at qb and we'll try to be competitive in most games but this is more a place-holder/keep growing year, barring extreme good fortune"

we won seven games last year, only three against teams outside our weak division, and those three teams had very sucky years in 2020,  but many fans seem to view us now as a 'play off team' without taking it in proper context...it's been a sucky division for years, overall, and when i watch other games with top ranked teams i  see how far down we are in overall on-the-field product compared to the best teams in other divisions

i don't think we have even '2/3' the roster or 'half' the coaching talent we need to be up there in the top ten even counting the defensive unit (which may change next year)---we have a long climb still to make there...now in terms of team culture-building i think we're getting  a high grade product already

that's what's real to my eyes/brain

i will enjoy watching these guys if they keep up the effort, and my expectation is that i will have fun watching heine and figure to see him do well in terms of his own journey, but no, i don't see us---whether with a healthy  fitz or a blossoming heinie-- as a serious threat to make a deep playoff run this season

i do expect to see solid progression to the goal with both coaching and all units with no back-sliding anywhere on the team...and that won't be a gimme either

• Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, DJHJR86 said:

Teammates can actually like both players as it sounds hre. Can't the guys like both guys? You are you looking for negativity? Is it tp prop up Taylor? Based on this thread he has plenty of that. Is it that you don't like Fitz? That would be too bad as he seems to be a really good guy and was finally getting a real chance at being the starter after many years of being the 6 gm temp for a new guy. In fact, saying Taylor could start anywhere else more likely means they had even more confidence in Fitz. 

In the end both guys seem to have the locker room support and that's great. We should just enjoy that instead of assuming and inserting drama where it does not exist. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

That term brittle is I am sure purposely exaggerated. Not seen anyone say or imply that. But he has a very real injury history. It would be silly to just ignore it or try to excuse it away. Now he has added some bulk to his frame which will do nothing but help him as long as it does not slow him and from what we saw, he was not slowed at all. Still the frenetic runner (I mean that in the most positive way).