Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Vaccine Thread

Cooked Crack

1 hour ago, mojo said:

Biden’s approval rating is now lower the Trump’s ever was.  Considering what a jackass Trump was in office, that’s quite an achievement.

Biden is presiding over the highest rate of inflation in many decades.  

My only saving grace when it looked like Trump might win re-election was that this was coming no matter who won the presidency, and I would have relished in trolling Trumpers about this.  But I do realize it wouldn't matter, they would still find a way via mental gymnastics to blame it solely on democrats.

https://www.cnet.com/tech/services-and-software/doctors-call-on-spotify-to-stop-covid-misinformation-citing-joe-rogan-podcast/

Doctors looking to Spotify to do something about Joe Rogan's spread of disinformation. 

"More than 250 medical professionals have signed an open letter calling on Spotify to clamp down on COVID misinformation spreading on its platform, specially calling out the podcast of comedian Joe Rogan.

The letter took issue with the Dec. 31 episode of The Joe Rogan Experience podcast, which featured Dr. Robert Malone, an immunologist who claims to have created the mRNA technology but is now a vocal skeptic of the vaccines that use it."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mojo said:

Biden’s approval rating is now lower the Trump’s ever was.  Considering what a jackass Trump was in office, that’s quite an achievement.

Its not really surprising. Trump was never held accountable by his base. He always had a solid 30ish percent. Biden has the exact opposite going. A base that was never really with him in the first place, but saw him ultimately as the only choice left on the table. 

Edit: Also apparently not true 

Edited by Llevron
  • Thumb up 2

8 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Biden is presiding over the highest rate of inflation in many decades.  

My only saving grace when it looked like Trump might win re-election was that this was coming no matter who won the presidency, and I would have relished in trolling Trumpers about this.  But I do realize it wouldn't matter, they would still find a way via mental gymnastics to blame it solely on democrats.

His low rating is also - and in my opinion - due more to his being perceived as weak since he cannot get his own party to do anything of consequence. He has done some good things but they are either: 

1. Not being advertised enough 

2. Do not directly impact the average person

3. Are more long term solutions that will not show any immediate gratification.

This is not directed at you, just a jumping off point. 

Yes, inflation is high, but so is GDP. No 1st yr president has ever had a GDP over 2.85 and Biden's was measured to be 6.7%. ALso, he created more jobs despite the number of people not going back to service industry jobs. I a friend in retail and her store (i get this is anecdotal but there is more), her store is up 50% year over yr. She was up 75% last yr. And for reference, the store is almost 200% ahead of pre-covid sales. So it's not like it's jsut the return of pre-covid sales. 

He needed to get infrastructure, even if it's a cut down bill. He let the more hard line progressives bully him into trying to get the sun and the moon. Don't get me wrong, I agree with the sun and the moon. I am for most of the bigger pill. I just think you need to do this in steps and gain the peoples confidence. 

He now needs to get voting rights or/and infrastructure done  in the next 6v months or 2022 and 2024 will be a blood bath for the Dems. 

Edited by goskins10

2 hours ago, Califan007 said:

That was from April of last year, though...has is support stayed lower or has it gone back up any?

This is a valid point, and could change between here and 2024.  This poll is from 12/31/2021:

In the latest Reuters/Ipsos survey, released Wednesday, 54 percent of Republican voters said they would back Trump as the party's nominee for the next presidential election cycle.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newsweek.com/most-republicans-would-support-trump-2024-desantis-distant-second-poll-1664430%3famp=1

The margin for error in many states was so low in 2020 and even 2016, combining his flipping on the vaccines and death rate in his base, nah, im not buying him winning in 2024.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, zskins said:

Has anyone mixed-matched the vaccines for their booster shot?

I had my son sign up for Moderna as he had the pfizer one before as his regular shots. 

I got the Pfizer shots, but the Moderna booster. Don't know what effect it has, all I know is that I had moderate symptoms/soreness with the shots, but with the booster, I woke up the next day feeling like my entire left side was chomped by a  shark 🦈

• Thanks 1

I've been trying to schedule a booster, near our house.  The earliest date I could pull was January 26th.

I finally got off my ass and got the updated Shingles vax this morning. 

While I was there, (Wahlgreen's), I asked if I could get my booster and was told "no"

While I was waiting, they called me back up and asked what type of shots I had earlier, and if I had my vax card.  I provided the info, and the card, and they gave me the booster.

It doesn't hurt to ask😉

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

1 hour ago, Llevron said:

Its not really surprising. Trump was never held accountable by his base. He always had a solid 30ish percent. Biden has the exact opposite going. A base that was never really with him in the first place, but saw him ultimately as the only choice left on the table. 

Edit: Also apparently not true 

Agreed on the 'not true' piece - Trump was consistently in the high 30s/low 40s with a low of 34 after 1/6.  

BUT in terms of base approval, it is fairly consistent in that 80-95% of your party approving the job.  The difference comes in with independents.  Biden started off stronger with Independents but that has dwindled down to Trump levels since August.  

https://news.gallup.com/poll/203198/presidential-approval-ratings-donald-trump.aspx

https://news.gallup.com/poll/329384/presidential-approval-ratings-joe-biden.aspx

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zskins said:

I had my son sign up for Moderna as he had the pfizer one before as his regular shots. 

I had Pfizer for my first two shots and Moderna for the booster.  I had almost no reaction to the Pfizer shots, and a mild reaction (arm soreness) to the Moderna shot.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, steve09ru said:

Agreed on the 'not true' piece - Trump was consistently in the high 30s/low 40s with a low of 34 after 1/6.  

BUT in terms of base approval, it is fairly consistent in that 80-95% of your party approving the job.  The difference comes in with independents.  Biden started off stronger with Independents but that has dwindled down to Trump levels since August.  

https://news.gallup.com/poll/203198/presidential-approval-ratings-donald-trump.aspx

https://news.gallup.com/poll/329384/presidential-approval-ratings-joe-biden.aspx

Thats good info tx for that 

2 hours ago, zskins said:

Pfizer for the original Vax, Moderna for the booster. Had some mild arm soreness and fatigue w/ Pfizer, and no side effects with Moderna.

• Thanks 1

If supreme is accepting the health care works mandate, then is the issue with the broader one is it was too broad? 

Thats what I got from that article, and my hope is Biden comes back with mandates for different sectors versus giving up. 

His plan to deal with this virus is predicated on work mandates, not sure what's left in the tool bag after that.

18 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

If supreme is accepting the health care works mandate, then is the issue with the broader one is it was too broad? 

Thats what I got from that article, and my hope is Biden comes back with mandates for different sectors versus giving up. 

His plan to deal with this virus is predicated on work mandates, not sure what's left in the tool bag after that.

The power stems from different sources.  Healthcare is based on receipt of Medicare and Medicaid funds, which may be conditioned on regulations such as the vaccine mandate (I wonder if any GOP states will move to reject federal funds now).

OSHA is supposed to protect workers from occupational hazards.  SCOTUS viewed covid as a hazard from daily life that happens to persist while you perform your occupation, not as hazard arising out of the performance of an occupation (probably could argue the other way too I guess).

Maybe a narrower mandate that is tied to or factor things like crowd density at worksite, indoor vs outdoor setting, and number/length of interaction with the public could pass muster.  

• Like 1

What a nauseating ruling. In making their usual gripe about Congress overstepping its authority, these radical right wingers have made sure that the SCOTUS *once again* vastly oversteps its own authority.

Thanks to every numbnuts in 2016 who said "I dunno, I just don't like her."

• Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

16 hours ago, bearrock said:

The power stems from different sources.  Healthcare is based on receipt of Medicare and Medicaid funds, which may be conditioned on regulations such as the vaccine mandate (I wonder if any GOP states will move to reject federal funds now).

OSHA is supposed to protect workers from occupational hazards.  SCOTUS viewed covid as a hazard from daily life that happens to persist while you perform your occupation, not as hazard arising out of the performance of an occupation (probably could argue the other way too I guess).

Maybe a narrower mandate that is tied to or factor things like crowd density at worksite, indoor vs outdoor setting, and number/length of interaction with the public could pass muster.  

The point that 100 employees was relatively arbitrary was made.  A company with 100 people working online remotely isn't putting their workers at the same risks as a company with 100 people working together in a warehouse.

Assuming the conservative justices were acting in good faith and not just along political lines (which is a big assumption from my perspective), a rule that required mandatory vaccinations in work settings where people couldn't distance by at least 5 feet might be successful.

• Like 1

Biden is suffering from things largely not under his control.

-inflation, trump provided stimulus too. It was necessary to keep economy where it is. 
-negative perception of an otherwise decent economy: by many metrics the economy is doing well

-women not returning to the workforce due to child care concerns

-shortages due to Covid 

-gas prices: that’s on OPEC, yeah he could open up strategic reserve, but that’s a strategic reserve for a reason

-schools: yeah Dems prob did that to themselves 

back in May and the summer the economy was ready to boom, until Delta and now Omicron. If we can get over this hurdle then people will feel great and Dems should be sitting pretty in November. 

the counter is that Reps will try and choke off any recovery, spiting e country to gain control of House/Senate

5 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

Biden is suffering from things largely not under his control.

Which is a mostly fair statement, but not in-line with the voting public perception - which is everything is costing me more, my wages haven't gone up, and it costs me an arm and a leg to fill my tank.  They don't really get into why that is, just whoever is in charge is making my life hell.

6 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Which is a mostly fair statement, but not in-line with the voting public perception - which is everything is costing me more, my wages haven't gone up, and it costs me an arm and a leg to fill my tank.  They don't really get into why that is, just whoever is in charge is making my life hell.

Absolutely correct. 

approval ratings are more of perception than reality, in this case.

up until December, surprisingly,  I thought he was on a GOAT path

-CARES act

-destroyed childhood poverty

-meaningful climate change action

-Infrastructure bill

-Social Infrastructure bill was in the works

-ended a 20 year war

-voting rights bill

and Just fir a finishing move, he was going to cancel $10-50k in student loans.

Social infrastructure and expanded child tax credit should still go through, albeit more modestly. Kinda agree with Manchin that couples making $400K prob shouldn’t get the ETC. 

but voting rights, is dead. Not just the bill either. 

But then again, this was year one. If economy booms with endemicity of COVID—🚀 🚀🚀🌓