Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

Hurts had flaws in college but he's showing the power of mobility in today's NFL. 

3 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

Not to beat a dead horse but if this game doesn’t show you just how efficient Smith is for this team then nothing will.

To beat my own dead horse on it.  😀   i am ok with Smith.  Do I think he's a SB QB?  Nope.  A playoff QB?  Yep.  But this game if anything proved why we need a new QB in town. I am not trusting a 37 year old QB with a bionic leg to last the season.   He didn't even last 6 games this season without missing time.  Alex is a great story but IMO we'd be crazy to let it ride with him being the #1 next season.    

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

I keep seeing folks posting about Stafford, and while that would be a HUGE upgrade over what we have currently,  is that even a realistic possibility??? I am really warming up to that idea because it would allow us to fill other needs in the early draft.  I just feel like it's a pipe dream 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Hurts had flaws in college but he's showing the power of mobility in today's NFL. 

To beat my own dead horse on it.  😀   i am ok with Smith.  Do I think he's a SB QB?  Nope.  A playoff QB?  Yep.  But this game if anything proved why we need a new QB in town. I am not trusting a 37 year old QB with a bionic leg to last the season.   He didn't even last 6 games this season without missing time.  Alex is a great story but IMO we'd be crazy to let it ride with him being the #1 next season.    

ThAts why the system of Smith Allen and a draft pick seems optimal, even if it’s Trey Lance.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

ThAts why the system of Smith Allen and a draft pick seems optimal, even if it’s Trey Lance.

Even if it’s Trey Lance suggests that’s the fallback. But in reality we likely have to trade up to get him. 

I would love a stud rookie QB too but the reality is it might not be an easy piece of cake that it just comes together easy. 

Right now I am guessing Lance goes in the top 10 and the cost is too steep to trade up. If I had to guess right now where we fish in the draft the dude closer to our range who may fall to our pick or it won’t cost a fortune to trade up for would be Mac Jones. 

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

Even if it’s Trey Lance suggests that’s the fallback. But in reality we likely have to trade up to get him. 

I would love a stud rookie QB too but the reality is it might not be an easy piece of cake that it just comes together easy. 

Right now I am guessing Lance goes in the top 10 and the cost is too steep to trade up. If I had to guess right now if we fish in the draft the dude closer to our range who may fall to our pick or it won’t cost a fortune to trade up for would be Mac Jones. 

I think Denver has to take QB in the 1st after the way Lock looked yesterday.  I just don't see us trading up.  Best we can do is build the team and go with a vet stopgap if Alex retires.  

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Right now I am guessing Lance goes in the top 10 and the cost is too steep to trade up. If I had to guess right now where we fish in the draft the dude closer to our range who may fall to our pick or it won’t cost a fortune to trade up for would be Mac Jones. 

It’s always tough to say with QBs. They never go when mocked. Lock wasn’t supposed to go in the second for example. 

Just now, PartyPosse said:

It’s always tough to say with QBs. They never go when mocked. Lock wasn’t supposed to go in the second for example. 

Yeah but usually it goes the opposite way. That is, Qbs don’t tend to fall further but more often rise ahead from where they were projected.

I don’t mind your let’s get that stud rookie QBs over the veteran sentiment you have but I think there is a good shot it’s more fantasy than reality.  

But you never know. I would love to believe your more rosy expectations about the draft playing out favorably, 

For me there are too many Qb needy teams likely picking ahead of us for me to believe we come out of this smelling like roses.  If we lose out I’d feel differently. 

16 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

I think Denver has to take QB in the 1st after the way Lock looked yesterday.  

Yes Lock had a bad game yesterday. But the Bills did score 48 points on them. If anything Denver needs players to shore up their O and D instead of trying to go for another QB. 

Edited by zskins

1 minute ago, zskins said:

Yes Lock had a bad game yesterday. But it was Denver's D who gave up 48 points to the Bills. If anything Denver needs players to shore up that D instead of trying to go for another QB. 

Their whole CB rotation was out.  They were playing street FAs.  They have oodles of skill talent.  Lock has been a problem.  He doesn't process fast enough (like Haskins).  Their fans have been saying that Bret Rypien (who has a noodle arm) was much more decisive than Lock has been.

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah but usually it goes the opposite way. That is, Qbs don’t tend to fall further but more often rise ahead from where they were projected.

I don’t mind your let’s get that stud rookie QBs over the veteran sentiment you have but I think there is a good shot it’s more fantasy than reality.  

But you never know. I would love to believe your more rosy expectations about the draft playing out favorably, 

For me there are too many Qb needy teams likely picking ahead of us for me to believe we come out of this smelling like roses.  If we lose out I’d feel differently. 

I think in order to get Stafford you’ll need at least a first and a third and find a way to shed Smith’s salary. Now, if they wanted to trade Stafford for Jonathan Allen I’m all for it.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

I think Denver has to take QB in the 1st after the way Lock looked yesterday.  I just don't see us trading up.  Best we can do is build the team and go with a vet stopgap if Alex retires.  

Possibly.  I think when its all said and done getting:  Fields, Wilson, Lance is likely a fantasy.    Unless they decide to get ultra aggressive to trade up.   More realistic might be Mac Jones. 

8 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I think in order to get Stafford you’ll need at least a first and a third and find a way to shed Smith’s salary. Now, if they wanted to trade Stafford for Jonathan Allen I’m all for it.

I am not locking into Stafford or really anyone.   My point is i don't think it's going to come down to some easy rookie versus veteran choice.  I think it just plays out and we play the best hand.  it is certainly possible that it could be a veteran in that scenario. 

Yeah i'd rather have Lance than Stafford but i think a QB needy team is likely to grab Lance in the top 10.  And if we trade up its going to cost at least two #1's and a 2nd or close enough.    Trading up for 19 or the 20s into the top 3 would likely cost an obscene amount of draft capital.  if Lance falls out of the top 10 then we likely can do it for a steep price but nothing insane.  But i don't see QB needy teams passing over him.  Lock or Haskins wasn't the kind of prospect IMO that Lance is.  

I think the target would have to be Mac Jones in all likelihood but its hard to read how that goes down.  Some have Mac now as a top 15 prospect including Kiper.  Rumor is Denver really likes him.    Even Jones might not be an easy get.   He's a hard projection right now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CapsSkins said:

I'd trade up to the top 10 for Lance or Jones and let Alex get us 11+ wins next year.

Smith doesn't throw for 300 yards per game as often as Cousins, therefore he is not as good as Cousins.  Therefore, Smith should not be our starter next year.

That's how many of the "smart" Washington fans on this board feel, despite Smith's impressive win/loss record.

Smith is an efficient, less athletic version of Russell Wilson.  And Wilson is the second best QB in the NFC right now, in my humble opinion.  Just watching Wilson today, you can't help but admire him. 

There is no question that Smith should be the starter next year, unless he has another catastrophic injury in the next two weeks.  

Edited by jnhutchi3
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, jnhutchi3 said:

Smith doesn't throw for 300 yards per game as often as Cousins, therefore he is not as good as Cousins.  Therefore, Smith should not be our starter next year.

That's how many of the "smart" Washington fans on this board feel, despite Smith's impressive win/loss record.

Smith is an efficient, less athletic version of Russell Wilson.  And Wilson is the second best QB in the NFC right now, in my humble opinion.  Just watching Wilson today, you can't help but admire him. 

There is no question that Smith should be the starter next year, unless he has another catastrophic injury in the next two weeks.  

The issue is durability. How many games will he actually be able to start next year?

Although this is where having Kyle Allen back next year will be huge.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah i'd rather have Lance than Stafford but i think a QB needy team is likely to grab Lance in the top 10.  And if we trade up its going to cost at least two #1's and a 2nd or close enough.    Trading up for 19 or the 20s into the top 3 would likely cost an obscene amount of draft capital.  if Lance falls out of the top 10 then we likely can do it for a steep price but nothing insane.  But i don't see QB needy teams passing over him.  Lock or Haskins wasn't the kind of prospect IMO that Lance is.  

Really? Lance looks like a major project. My impression is that he is more of a 1st read guy and stares his receivers down. I love his mobility. And he reportedly is a super high character guy with a great work ethic. But to me, he's a high ceiling, low floor shot in the dark. And he's going to cost more draft capital than Stafford would. And Stafford would immediately put us in contention.

Someone above said they thought Stafford would cost a 1st and a 3rd and that's exactly what I was thinking. I'd rather trade a 1st and a 3rd for Stafford than two 1sts and a 2nd for Lance. 

Since we are talking about the cap and finding a franchise QB, I know this is a sin, but I would consider packaging Jonathan Allen and picks to go up and get Zach Wilson. Allen is having a great year. But he tends to get dinged up and his 2nd contract is coming up and we can't keep everybody. Franchise QB. All other considerations secondary. 

The Team’s long term solution at QB; isn’t on the roster. Alex gives you a year; if he stays healthy. He isn’t a long term answer and we will not win a title with him.

So, we need to find a long term solution.

The Team’s long term solution at QB; isn’t on the roster. Alex gives you a year; if he stays healthy. He isn’t a long term answer and we will not win a title with him.

So, we need to find a long term solution.

8 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

Really? Lance looks like a major project. My impression is that he is more of a 1st read guy and stares his receivers down. I love his mobility. And he reportedly is a super high character guy with a great work ethic. But to me, he's a high ceiling, low floor shot in the dark. And he's going to cost more draft capital than Stafford would. And Stafford would immediately put us in contention.

Someone above said they thought Stafford would cost a 1st and a 3rd and that's exactly what I was thinking. I'd rather trade a 1st and a 3rd for Stafford than two 1sts and a 2nd for Lance. 

Since we are talking about the cap and finding a franchise QB, I know this is a sin, but I would consider packaging Jonathan Allen and picks to go up and get Zach Wilson. Allen is having a great year. But he tends to get dinged up and his 2nd contract is coming up and we can't keep everybody. Franchise QB. All other considerations secondary. 

Stafford would be the better get now than Lance as for winning now.  My point was I'd rather get Lance to fall to our pick than trading picks for Stafford but IMO that's likely fantasy.

Going through all the needy teams picking ahead of us in the draft, I think most scenarios that people have of getting name that top QB prospect in the draft is likely fantasy unless we give up big time capital.  

So when people argue with me rookie good QB would beat a veteran -- I agree.  But the premise of the point I think is likely false because the odds are good that name that rookie QB will be other unattainable or would take a fortune to trade up for. 

6 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Already some drama starting in Philly, they're gonna have to get of either Wentz or Hurts, I wonder if they are open to moving the rookie?

so if they trade him versus release him it wouldn't be a 60 million cap hit but based on this wonder would their cap hit would be?  Regardless, I wouldn't want to make that trade and if the Eagles are willing to trade another Qb to us of all teams I'd have a buyer beware philosophy. 

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

so if they trade him versus release him it wouldn't be a 60 million cap hit but based on this wonder would their cap hit would be?  Regardless, I wouldn't want to make that trade and if the Eagles are willing to trade another Qb to us of all teams I'd have a buyer beware philosophy. 

I think they might come to the conclusion they are stuck with Wentz and then what, could they possibly look to move Hurts?